1. I'm sure the intent of the forum is to provide information anyone can use. Foul language is not necessary to get any point across, however the use of such things as:
    WTF, LMFAO, d@mn, b!tch, he!!, sh!t, fock, etc. is prevalent here.

2. If there wasn't some editing, who would know what was safe for little ears. Cable is free to provide whatever content it wants, and most households are hooked up. There are a few stations, where they monitor their content, so parents do know what their children can tune into. In your country, along with most, how are you to know what is censored. It's not like the Government is going to tell you what they have removed access to.
    04-19-09 12:10 PM
    Okay, first of all I didn't realize that it was the choice of the forum mods to prohibit offensive speech; I thought it would maybe be required by law.

With this additional info in mind, two questions remain:
    1.: Irrespective of the forum mods right to prohibit any particular kind of speech, do you believe that it contributes to a friendly atmosphere more than it violates any rights you have or you want to have? I.e., is it worth it?

2.: In the other media (TV shows, songs,...) there seems to be a lot of official censorship. What do you think about that?

My personal opinions about these two questions:
    1.: I don't think it makes any sense at all. You can be very offensive without using any of the particular keywords. Or you use any given phrase like "what the ****" and you can deduce the blanked out word from the context. If there are minors on this board who are too young to take this without being negatively affected (is that actually possible? I don't think so), it should be the responsibility of their parents to control their access to the internet. Offensive speech in forums is one of the less potentially dangerous things they might find.

2.: This is pretty strange and I don't like this either. People talk like they do and as long as no one is hurt, why not? To an outsider it appears as if the gouvernment believes that people can not bear what people say and that they would need protection. Given that most people spend a lot more time in their real life than watching TV, the exposition to every day life is a lot stronger, and no one wants to protect them there. Why do you then want to protect them when they watch TV? Again, if this would be solely to protect minors, why don't just parents protect their children by controling what they are allowed to watch or listen to? Furthermore, I believe that most of the beeped-out statements are rather harmless.

But thanks for your opinions so far, and thanks for straightening-out my impression that the censorship here would be legally motivated. I would still like to know what you think about these two questions above.
    Sorry, I never did address your questions earlier, so I'll do it now.

Yes, you can be offensive, without using any particular words. But that's a slippery slope, evidenced by many other threads, dealing with forum "rudeness". Folks read tone/attitude into words, when the words themselves are actually benign. That's a bad habit. Yet, some folks just aren't great communicators, and they don't know how to put the right words together, to get their point across, in the best way. So offended folks will be with us, always. But if I don't want profanity used in forum communications, in my forum, then that's my right. It's not up to someone else to determine if that should be my standard.

Word filters are faulty, and a waste of time. You got folks who like to push the envelope. Personally, I think there's a lot of freedom here, and if someone can't be sociable under the relaxed guidelines here, then I don't know what to tell them. Seriously.

As far as the issue of minors being on board: Yes, parents have the ultimate responsibility to monitor their children's online activity, and I hope to God they do. However, as an adult, I feel an overall responsibility to minors, regardless of whether or not they're "my kids". But, I grew up in an era where the "village" raised the children. It's not like that anymore.

Yes, children have access to all manner of info — appropriate and not appropriate, while online. However, I can limit what they're exposed to, when they're on my site, based on my personal convictions, as a site owner. What's "harmless" to you, may not be harmless to me.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 04-19-09 at 12:29 PM.
    04-19-09 12:22 PM
    censorship on the whole doesnt feel good to me. but abrasive language in a public place doesnt feel good on the whole either. it can really burn/hurt. as long as we keep the whole site clean, people will come and come often.

lol
    Last edited by kwmksavage; 04-19-09 at 02:06 PM.
    04-19-09 01:58 PM
    censorship on the whole doesnt feel good to me. but abrasive language in a public place doesnt feel good on the whole either. it can really burn/hurt. as long as we keep the whole site clean, people will come.

lol
    Well said, especially from someone named "Savage".
    04-19-09 02:06 PM
    I have my moments . My post was actually a poor attempt at humor.. Oh well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 05:12 PM
    I have my moments . My post was actually a poor attempt at humor.. Oh well.

Really, I thought the post was first rate funny, and the irony was irresistible!

04-19-09 05:20 PM
    Really, I thought the post was first rate funny, and the irony was irresistible!

Aha, so I guess that's the first post saying that this whole censorship is rather pointless. At least one response that is backing up my own opinion about the whole thing.
    04-20-09 02:44 AM
    If ya dont like it then dont post here, plain and simple!
    04-20-09 02:52 AM
    I wanted to know your opinion about the censorship, whether it's useful or not. Your statement is not an answer to my original question and therefore not within the scope of this thread.
    04-20-09 04:48 AM
    I wanted to know your opinion about the censorship, whether it's useful or not. Your statement is not an answer to my original question and therefore not within the scope of this thread.
    So you are censoring me? ROFLMAO!
    04-20-09 05:00 AM
    I love it! A wise guy, and a wiseguy.
    04-20-09 05:06 AM
    dude are arent the questions "what do we think about censorship?" I think we are alot to talk about how we feel about cesorship. why do you you read the post, and stop making judgements....

(sorry i went trigger happy, but i had to being it's the topic at hand..... posted in good fun)

but this thread is what are our feeling towards censorship 1) on this forum and we stated when you are in someone's house you play by someone's rules then the OP asked 2) how do we feel about it in general....
    04-20-09 10:22 AM
    Censorship does suck.

04-20-09 09:09 PM
    I hate censorship!

04-20-09 09:11 PM
    Sure does... Aparently we all have access to the internet. I could give you some links to some pretty messed up sites that could scar you for life....

www.Jack.black.fan.club.com

^^ I still haven't recovered ... I think a little swearing should be allowed
    04-20-09 09:12 PM
    Poor wally. Didn't mean to leave you hanging out there on that one!
    04-20-09 09:19 PM
    This is pretty ZnVja2luZw== effective too.
    04-21-09 05:28 AM
    who gives a flying ? I will from now one use that little censored picture and relace it with ever word I feel like saying!

!!!
    04-21-09 08:18 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD