Hi guys, the reason why I started this thread is because I was somthing between puzzled and exasperated when I found out that a part of a post of mine was censored. Namely, I was writing "what the ****", and you can see here which part I mean and what I wanted to say.

I realized that this would be most likely relatively normal in American media and perhaps therefore also in Canadian media, and as a result perhaps also in internet forum discussions. However, being from Germany, this was really unexpected, as we don't have this kind of censorship yet.

I want to ask you what you think about it. Do you think this is a valuable tool to maintain a friendly atmosphere in a forum or are you annoyed by this, as it prohibits a way of communication that you would like to choose and that you think is your right to use
    04-19-09 03:18 AM
    They have made it pretty clear in the posting rules that profanity and generally insulting language will be moderated. Not everyone in these forums is an adult. I myself have been PMed by the Mods, and the only thing I said to the person was "Hey big boy, I didn't like the other guy either." I don't know what the other guy posted after mine, but it mustve been pretty bad. I figure they CYAd themselves and deleted the posts.

It doesn't take long for things to get out of control, so sometimes our Mods have a thankless job. I even replied to the Mod that I appreciated what was done, even though I didn't see what else was said. Better for everyone else, too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 03:55 AM
    Ahhh, but crackberry doesn't have to provide you an arena to use such language. There inlies the proverbial "pickle" . They may reserve the right to refuse service to anyone being that it is their site.

04-19-09 03:56 AM
    I have no problem with censorship at all, and I'm a musician. Although my musicianship has little to do with CB, it has plenty to do with censorship.

IMHO, vulgarity is a linguistic crutch for the inarticulate.
    04-19-09 08:10 AM
    I personal think it is a violation of my rights as an american. Our various admendment provide me with various rights as a American. And our very first admendment provide the freedom of speech and freedom. Just like my second admendment gives me the right to carry a fire arm. But I will agree this board is full of minors, should be kept clean. And my whole idea of censorship is a different idea then being able to use ****/****/****/***** all the time. And if you meet me in person you'd know this to be a fact. But I will suggest Crackberry's off topics forum should have a Barsky's Lounge that wouldn't be edited. And anything can be posted.

04-19-09 08:45 AM
    Ahhh, but crackberry doesn't have to provide you an arena to use such language. There inlies the proverbial "pickle" . They may reserve the right to refuse service to anyone being that it is their site.

Amen...that's it.
    04-19-09 09:00 AM
    I personal think it is a violation of my rights as an american. Our various admendment provide me with various rights as a American. And our very first admendment provide the freedom of speech and freedom. Just like my second admendment gives me the right to carry a fire arm. But I will agree this board is full of minors, should be kept clean. And my whole idea of censorship is a different idea then being able to use ****/****/****/***** all the time. And if you meet me in person you'd know this to be a fact. But I will suggest Crackberry's off topics forum should have a Barsky's Lounge that wouldn't be edited. And anything can be posted.

I agree with most of your ideas, although, I find a lot of what our constitution allows for us really is of no value to me either way. I do what I believe is right, I respect mixed company, don't beat my wife/anyone/animals, have no desire to own any type of weapon or carry one with me, find vulgarity a bit 'vulgar,' don't feel the need to tell everyone who doesn't believe what I believe that they are wrong regardless of the subject and many other points.

My response to the OP was exactly what was asked for, an opinion. To each his/her own. If it tics you off, exercise your right to vote and change it. Everyone has that ability.
    04-19-09 09:06 AM
    It's only censorship when the government limits your speech. Private parties have a right, and obligation to set their own boundaries.
    04-19-09 09:55 AM
    It's only censorship when the government limits your speech. Private parties have a right, and obligation to set their own boundaries.
    Yep...free speech doesn't apply here.
    04-19-09 09:57 AM
    Yep...free speech doesn't apply here.
    Yes it does, I live in the great USA, I live betweent the east coast and west coast. And my rights give "me" the freedom of speech. And when you give an independant "group" to take your rights away, you give up what makes America - America. You think our fore-fathers kept their mouths shut? You think our freedom fighters keep quite? Our media fills your mind with JUNK and when someone speaks up either on a forum board or in person and someone doesn't like it they throw up the "freedom of speech doesn't apply here" last time I checked as long as I am in the USA my laws are my laws no matter where I am.

04-19-09 10:34 AM
    Mike, love you man, but you have every right to speak your mind. Just don't have a right to be heard. And in every private location, they have a right to control your speech. Scream fire in a movie theater, yell obscenities in a church, you won't for long. This may seem like a public location, but it's not. The internet is free, if you have a website you host, you can say whatever you like. And the right to control the speech/access of anyone you like.
    04-19-09 10:44 AM
    Mike, love you man, but you have every right to speak your mind. Just don't have a right to be heard. And in every private location, they have a right to control your speech. Scream fire in a movie theater, yell obscenities in a church, you won't for long. This may seem like a public location, but it's not. The internet is free, if you have a website you host, you can say whatever you like. And the right to control the speech/access of anyone you like.
    Ed, I'm not saying that I'm going to say what ever I want. Have you ever heard me cuss on these boards or on BBM? Have you ever heard me be mean or degrading to anyone? Other that "search" or me using me LMGTFY? I personally feel its up to the person to use the word they choose to you and not be edited by any one person. Ed I've witness a employee of mine tell a very racist joke to a -person it offened- over the phone. I've stood up and spoke up/supported what I belive is right, when no one did. I've spoke on public radio, on how the mass media fills peoples minds with junk. Once again its up to the person to choose the words they use, and when they use them. But censorship is taking away that right.

04-19-09 10:56 AM
    Amen...again. This is someone else's "house". We are guests. If the homeowner doesn't want you using his/her home for any purpose other than what they designate, then you either comply or leave their house. But you don't "demand" your "right" to do whatever, because it's not your right.

CB has rules about appropriate language, among other things. That info is not hidden, and can be accessed at anytime...including before you decide to sign up. So, you don't sign up and then complain about the rules. That makes no sense. Make an educated decision, and then live with it.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 04-19-09 at 11:00 AM.
    04-19-09 10:57 AM
    Amen...again. This is someone else's "house". We are guests. If the homeowner doesn't want you using his/her home for any purpose other than what they designate, then you either comply or leave their house. But you don't "demand" your "right" to do whatever, because it's not your right.
    I'm not demanding my right, I've read the forum rules. And I've agreeed to play by the rules set forth by the mods/admin of this forum. But the OP was refering to general censorship, not just on this board.

I want to ask you what you think about it. Do you think this is a valuable tool to maintain a friendly atmosphere in a forum or are you annoyed by this, as it prohibits a way of communication that you would like to choose and that you think is your right to u
    Last edited by mjneid; 04-19-09 at 11:03 AM.
    04-19-09 11:00 AM
    I read it as him questioning censorship in a forum. If the OP thinks we have lost the right to free speech in the public square, we need to straighten him out.
    OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!
    04-19-09 11:06 AM
    I'm not demanding my right, I've read the forum rules. And I've agreeed to play by the rules set forth by the mods/admin of this forum. But the OP was refering to general censorship, not just on this board.

I'm not saying you are. But this issue has come up before, with some example here always referenced. The OP started with an incident here, and I'm addressing the incident...here. Also, your direct quote shows that the OP is talking about forum censorship, not just this particular forum perhaps, but forums in general.

I want to ask you what you think about it. Do you think this is a valuable tool to maintain a friendly atmosphere in a forum or are you annoyed by this, as it prohibits a way of communication that you would like to choose and that you think is your right to use
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 04-19-09 at 11:12 AM.
    04-19-09 11:07 AM
    I've agreed to play by the rules set forth by the mods/admin of this forum.
    We've got to stretch them some, bro!
    04-19-09 11:12 AM
    I'm not saying you are. But this issue has come up before, with some example here always referenced. The OP started with an incident here, and I'm addressing the incident...here. Also, your direct quote shows that the OP is talking about forum censorship, not just this particular forum perhaps, but forums in general.
    prohibits a way of communication that you would like to choose and that you think is your right to use

That is my whole side of this story. You should have the right to say "blank", and since it is a clear rule not to use that lingo, if you do you should get back handed across the mouth. But don't take my right away to choose.

Last edited by mjneid; 04-19-09 at 11:21 AM.
    04-19-09 11:17 AM
    That is my whole side of this story.

But that last part is connected to the first part of the sentence. Freedom to express yourself anyway you like, in a private forum that's owned and operated by somebody other than yourself, and free speech that's guaranteed under the First Amendment aren't the same weight.

I wouldn't even expect to have free speech, in a privately owned forum, nor would I want to. For what? The home analogy is dead-on: Respect my wishes, while you're in my home. If you don't, then I can ask you to comply or leave. If you (not you, but anyone) feel "censored", then find that place in the world, where you can say whatever, whenever, under any and all situations, and see how it works for you.

Having a computer/phone keyboard allows you the freedom to say what you like. That's not the issue. Say what you like, and deal with the consequences. If you know you're not supposed to say something, and you do it anyway, claiming the "right to free speech", and recommending that you just get "slapped" when you say the wrong thing is one of the craziest scenarios I've heard in my life. I feel free to say that.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 04-19-09 at 11:32 AM.
    04-19-09 11:28 AM
    Say what you like, and deal with the consequences.
    That was answered in my edited post.

04-19-09 11:33 AM
    That was answered in my edited post.

Okay...then let's stop going back and forth. I'm out...peace!
    04-19-09 11:34 AM
    Kid's, we're talking about vulgarity here. And most, including the mods and Kevin, have stretched that to the limit without repercussions. The ability for us to express our opinions on this forum have never been infringed upon to my knowledge.
    04-19-09 11:39 AM
    Okay...then let's stop going back and forth. I'm out...peace!
    Take it easy, have a **** day!!!

**** = nice. BTW.

04-19-09 11:40 AM
    Okay, first of all I didn't realize that it was the choice of the forum mods to prohibit offensive speech; I thought it would maybe be required by law.

With this additional info in mind, two questions remain:
    1.: Irrespective of the forum mods right to prohibit any particular kind of speech, do you believe that it contributes to a friendly atmosphere more than it violates any rights you have or you want to have? I.e., is it worth it?

2.: In the other media (TV shows, songs,...) there seems to be a lot of official censorship. What do you think about that?

My personal opinions about these two questions:
    1.: I don't think it makes any sense at all. You can be very offensive without using any of the particular keywords. Or you use any given phrase like "what the ****" and you can deduce the blanked out word from the context. If there are minors on this board who are too young to take this without being negatively affected (is that actually possible? I don't think so), it should be the responsibility of their parents to control their access to the internet. Offensive speech in forums is one of the less potentially dangerous things they might find.

2.: This is pretty strange and I don't like this either. People talk like they do and as long as no one is hurt, why not? To an outsider it appears as if the gouvernment believes that people can not bear what people say and that they would need protection. Given that most people spend a lot more time in their real life than watching TV, the exposition to every day life is a lot stronger, and no one wants to protect them there. Why do you then want to protect them when they watch TV? Again, if this would be solely to protect minors, why don't just parents protect their children by controling what they are allowed to watch or listen to? Furthermore, I believe that most of the beeped-out statements are rather harmless.

But thanks for your opinions so far, and thanks for straightening-out my impression that the censorship here would be legally motivated. I would still like to know what you think about these two questions above.
    04-19-09 11:47 AM
    2.: In the other media (TV shows, songs,...) there seems to be a lot of official censorship. What do you think about that?

But thanks for your opinions so far, and thanks for straightening-out my impression that the censorship here would be legally motivated. I would still like to know what you think about these two questions above.
    2) I've answered that alread I do believe and your are welcome.

04-19-09 12:04 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD