He is bringing the CP holiday train (at the performance stage car) to a stop at a specified location. When the car is nearing the spot he would then lower the lantern and swing it across telling the engineer to Stop.
    That's correct, so in the picture, the lantern held up in the air with a slight side to side movement wound mean slow down, then the stop signal to complete the move. At least that's what we did on the NS. Probably slightly different actions on the different railroads.
    12-04-22 03:41 PM
    That's literally where I'm at with the last daughter. She wants to decorate so we'll see if she actually follows through.
    Put a Glock in her hand and let her fire off a magazine or two.
    12-04-22 03:43 PM
    Sunday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    12-04-22 05:23 PM
    Meeting a friend for a drink.

Dropped Heidi off at the gym.

Put a Glock in her hand and let her fire off a magazine or two.
    My kids already do that year round. That's fairly common for her circle of friends to go to range with their respective parents.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 12-04-22 at 09:26 PM.
    12-04-22 06:09 PM
    He is specifically asking as to what the conductor is doing in this picture.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c8882dc4cc.jpg...
    That's not the question I was planning to ask, but your asking of that question, and the discussion/answers that followed, were also interesting.
    12-04-22 06:10 PM
    My kids already do that year round. That's fairly common for her circle of friends to go to range with their respective parents.

Sent from my A507DL using Tapatalk
    Hanging out with the kids sporting earplugs.
    Good times.

"The CB 1M Challenge, where the pantless people go"
    12-04-22 06:35 PM
    That was a good nap.

12-04-22 06:37 PM
    Back to work in the morning!

12-04-22 06:38 PM
    Here's one for the working class

12-04-22 06:43 PM
    That's not the question I was planning to ask, but...asking of that question, and the discussion/answers that followed, were also interesting.
    Interesting because:
    - there really isn't much movement of the lantern/light apparent from the video in question (the video from where the still shot was taken, I have reposted the video here), maybe only a slight raising of the light is apparent, I am not sure
    - the discussion seems to confirm what the reference material (and other posts) suggest, in terms of the signalling used to help coordinate for stopping a train or controlling it's movements relative to where the train is, or perhaps more accurately relative to where the signal person is and where they want the train to be (or a specific spot of the train to be, depending on where the signal person is positioned)

So my question to you @misterabrasive (now modified because the discussion/answers about the other question have already filled in some blanks I was also going to ask about):

- how does an experienced train person conclude, from observing a passing/slowing train only (or more importantly also from only whatever a signal person on that train is signalling) the precise current position in the world of that passing train (or its current relative position to an unknown landmark it is passing, like say a crossing)?

What do you think @misterabrasive? I tried to figure it out and concluded there must be some well defined train equations or standard train practices involved, but Yama doesn't seem interested in answering or confirming, choosing to only suggest that I read a reference (that also doesnt reveal how it's done). So, I think I need some help from an experienced train person like yourself @misterabrasive.

12-04-22 07:26 PM
    Wild Wings. HVAC system down, porta heaters all over the place, not actually accomplishing much. And I came here to sit in a warm place. :rofl:

Supposed to get repaired tomorrow. The electric bill this month will be ...
    12-04-22 07:34 PM
    Interesting because:
    - there really isn't much movement of the lantern/light apparent from the video in question (the video from where the still shot was taken, I have reposted the video here), maybe only a slight raising of the light is apparent, I am not sure
    - the discussion seems to confirm what the reference material (and other posts) suggest, in terms of the signalling used to help coordinate for stopping a train or controlling it's movements relative to where the train is, or perhaps more accurately relative to where the signal person is and where they want the train to be (or a specific spot of the train to be, depending on where the signal person is positioned)

So my question to you @misterabrasive (now modified because the discussion/answers about the other question have already filled in some blanks I was also going to ask about):

- how does an experienced train person conclude, from observing a passing/slowing train only (or more importantly also from only whatever a signal person on that train is signalling) the precise current position in the world of that passing train (or its current relative position to an unknown landmark it is passing, like say a crossing)?

What do you think @misterabrasive? I tried to figure it out and concluded there must be some well defined train equations or standard train practices involved, but Yama doesn't seem interested in answering or confirming, choosing to only suggest that I read a reference (that also doesnt reveal how it's done). So, I think I need some help from an experienced train person like yourself @misterabrasive.

You have dreamed up a question that can OBVIOUSLY be only answered with NO.

I used a combination of the video,
    photos and Google Maps and the fact that I have observed switching movements thousands of times at work to determine the exact location.

The video was taken at the exact place I specified because of research and not a hunch or guess.

BTW you failed your Rules. Try again at another railway.

Also,

12-04-22 07:38 PM
    Also, here's an educational video about how Railways treat their employees when something goes wrong...

12-04-22 07:41 PM
    Dunce.

12-04-22 07:44 PM
    It's like driving a car into a oil change place. Someone outside the car signals you when to move forward and when to stop. Hand signals are different for conductors due to a variety of factors including it's sometimes dark outside..

12-04-22 07:49 PM
    Interesting because:

Art, try to clarify this for me. Are you asking how does the train crew or even the general public, know where they are while the train is operating?
    12-04-22 07:55 PM
    Posted on my new RCA Voyager Pro
    12-04-22 07:59 PM
    It works! $80 at Canadian Outlet and it works.
    12-04-22 08:00 PM
    You have dreamed up a question that can OBVIOUSLY be only answered with NO.

I used a combination of the video,
    photos and Google Maps and the fact that I have observed switching movements thousands of times at work to determine the exact location.

The video was taken at the exact place I specified because of research and not a hunch or guess.

BTW you failed your Rules. Try again at another railway.

Also,

You posted a question asking where the road was in the video. I gave an answer with some assessment (assessment that was dead on, BTW). You didn't like the answer, then you followed it up with a post saying you figured out precisely where the road was based on the conductors signals.

Why would you have posted that if you had actually used other information to determine the location of the crossing?

At best, your posts were misleading. At worst, they were fake information, propaganda or way worse. Were you mad that I was able to conclude something from the assessment I made, when you had to do a bunch of research? If so, why worry about that. The Glen Eden Ski Hills were a dead giveaway to someone like Paul and I who knew something about the area in question. Nothing for you to be ashamed of.
    12-04-22 08:01 PM
    Art, try to clarify this for me. Are you asking how does the train crew or even the general public, know where they are while the train is operating?
    Don't worry about it anymore @misterabrasive. Seems Yama has lead me on a wild goose chase.
    12-04-22 08:02 PM
    Posted on my new RCA Voyager Pro
    Cool. I have seen those and wondered about them.
    12-04-22 08:04 PM
    You posted a question asking where the road was in the video. I gave an answer with some assessment (assessment that was dead on, BTW). You didn't like the answer, then you followed it up with a post saying you figured out precisely where the road was based on the conductors signals.

Why would you have posted that if you had actually used other information to determine the location of the crossing?

At best, your posts were misleading. At worst, they were fake information, propaganda or way worse. Were you mad that I was able to conclude something from the assessment I made, when you had to do a bunch of research? If so, why worry about that. The Glen Eden Ski Hills were a dead giveaway to someone like Paul and zi who knew something about the area in question. Nothing for you to be ashamed of.
    My advice was precise, whereas you guessed. That's how the world works, when someone asks for an answer they aren't asking for an opinion. So did you learn anything today?

12-04-22 08:05 PM
    Don't worry about it anymore @misterabrasive. Seems Yama has lead me on a wild goose chase.
    Lol, too funny.

12-04-22 08:06 PM
618,114 ... 2458124582245832458424585 ...