I had my car recently stolen less than two weeks ago, and had just recovered last night when a friend spotted my car in his neighborhood. I drive a sixth gen Honda Civic, mostly stock except for a few cosmetic pieces (i.e. aftermarket radio, speakers, tinted windows, aluminum rims). I am having trouble finding information I am searching for online about my situation.

Christmas Eve we called the police when we verified it was my car, drove the car home, its Christmas so I am unable to contact my insurance

I have AAA Insurance, how will AAA approach me and what will they do with the car now? When the car was stolen AAA said that they would pay me the blue book value of the car if it is not recovered in two weeks. I have read situations where people were billed for storage, towing, and a variety of other things because someone else found their car and had it towed, I have not found much about what will the insurance company do from there.

What I am worried about the most is AAA will declare the car a total loss and pay me out for the car, I have read a few post where some people were given that answer from their insurance companies. I do not want $2000 USD when my family has owned the car since it was pulled off the dealership lot, it feels difficult finding a used car in my area for a reasonable price with a good, detailed history.

Merry Christmas folks!

UPDATE
    12/26
    Insurance company instructed me to bring my car to a body shop I am familiar with, have them look at the car, and the insurance adjuster will drop by and inspect the car. Time frame pending, and thats pretty much it so far.

02/03
    So it took roughly around two-three weeks to get my car back after dropping it off at the body shop. The employees at the body shop was fairly nice, we did a walk around of the car picking at possible damages that were done to the car while it was not under my possession. They replaced my windshield that had a star I was not familiar with, they replaced my stereo with the one I had after presenting the receipt, the speakers were replaced with aftermarket speakers that I feel are more consistent, my driver side window regulator and weather strip was replaced, my front bumper was coated due to a light scrap with something, all my locks and steering lock was replaced. Good stuff.
    Last edited by cl8baller; 02-03-14 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Updates
    12-25-13 03:15 PM
    Are there damages to the car that you want the ins company to cover?
    12-25-13 03:23 PM
    Are there damages to the car that you want the ins company to cover?
    The outside of the car is fine, just a bit dirty.

I forgot to mention the aftermarket speakers and radio was stolen. I have to note that they were taken out rather cleanly, no wires were cut they were just taken out like plug and play just like how I installed them.
    12-25-13 04:59 PM
    I'm guessing they will cover the cost of the radio and speakers. Even if they call it totaled, you will have the option to buy it from the insurance company.
    12-25-13 06:44 PM
    Contact me via PM, I do auto claims for a living and can give you some guidance.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ezrunner; 12-25-13 at 08:09 PM.
    12-25-13 06:55 PM
    Any upgrades made to the car is usually not covered by insurance. If you want to keep the car that's entirely your choices. Although in my experience I've found that book value of the vehicle is usually better than what the car is actually worth. Contrary to popular belief insurance companies do tend to over estimate. But all this is if you're in Canada. US is entirely different ball game.

Edit: FYI I'm an insurance broker

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 08:25 PM
    Any upgrades made to the car is usually not covered by insurance. If you want to keep the car that's entirely your choices. Although in my experience I've found that book value of the vehicle is usually better than what the car is actually worth. Contrary to popular belief insurance companies do tend to over estimate. But all this is if you're in Canada. US is entirely different ball game.

Edit: FYI I'm an insurance broker

Posted via CB10
    Extras/aftermarket items will not be covered unless you insured them.

I don't finish to understand the problem. Your car was stolen UNDER two weeks age. AAA said they will pay you IF the car was nor recovered AFTER two weeks. Have you gotten paid? If not, call them to let them know you found the car (although you will nor get your aftermarket items back unless you had those covered). They will just probably restore it to "original" state.

If you already got paid, then buy it back from AAA.

Posted from my Z10 using CB10.
    12-25-13 08:48 PM