Artist asks online voters to decide whether he should live or die

Russian artist Oleg Mavromatti will strap himself into an electric chair this week and ask online voters to decide whether he should live or be shocked to death.

Oleg Mavromatti will be strapped in an electric chair (Getty)

The artist is no stranger to controversy, having previously shocked religious leaders by 'crucifying' himself for an exhibition.
    He then fled to Bulgaria from his native Russia to avoid charges of inciting racial hatred.
    In this new stunt, Mavromatti is offering critics a change to get their own back by electrocuting him with thousands of volts.
    He will strap himself into an electric chair and ask visitors to the projects website to place their votes.
    100 votes are required for the first 600,000 volt shock, lasting half a second, and 1,000 votes for the second, lasting 1.5 seconds.
    The online performance, titled Ally/Foe, will see the artist subjected to a series of five shocks increasing in strength until he dies - depending on the number of votes.
    The projects website states the online performance gives an opportunity for the participants to vote for or against the justification of artist Oleg Mavromati.
    The artist has said: I just want to conduct an opinion poll, just like any normal sociological study does. That's all.

11-09-10 09:39 AM
    ok...if he hasn't been charged with a crime & people just vote to electrocute him & he dies...aren't the online voters guilty of murder?
    11-09-10 10:49 AM
    This is one election I think I'll sit out.
    11-09-10 12:10 PM
    you and me both!! but can't wait to see the results in a morbid sort of way!!
    11-09-10 12:37 PM
    Stupid stunt. I am surprised David Blaine didn't think of this first.....
    11-09-10 01:09 PM
    He tried but Steve Jobs sued him for stealing his ideas.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-10 01:46 PM
    he's probably scared to because he knows he'll get thousands of "YES" votes in the first 10 seconds
    11-09-10 02:45 PM
    Come on guys, vote yes. And no, it is not murdering this jack wagon if we all vote yes. He shouldn't have given us the option...
    11-09-10 04:05 PM
    I'm still not touching this with a ten foot pole. Anyone have an 11 foot pole I can borrow?

11-09-10 04:21 PM
    Any hints as to what the website is? I didn't see it posted, and need that in order to vote yes.
    11-09-10 04:24 PM
    I'm gonna google "ally/foe", see what pops up....

11-09-10 04:40 PM
    Thats one dead russian dude!

11-09-10 05:16 PM
    I'm not going near that one either.
    To answer your question HighJakker: "if he hasn't been charged with a crime & people just vote to electrocute him & he dies...aren't the online voters guilty of murder?" I'd say they're not any more guilty than the people who didn't go there and vote not to kill him.
    Personally, I think this stunt is morally bankrupt and devoid of any social value, it's inappropriate to force others to choose whether you should live or die - any true sociologist knows that.
    11-09-10 07:13 PM
    From looking at the details, it doesn't appear that one could cast a "no" vote. Only like the Romans in the Coliseum... have we really come all that far?
    11-10-10 06:24 AM
    From looking at the details, it doesn't appear that one could cast a "no" vote. Only like the Romans in the Coliseum... have we really come all that far?
    Here is a sample of the ballot. So it looks like you can vote either way.

Guilty or innocent
    11-10-10 05:53 PM
    I'm not going near that one either.
    To answer your question HighJakker: "if he hasn't been charged with a crime & people just vote to electrocute him & he dies...aren't the online voters guilty of murder?" I'd say they're not any more guilty than the people who didn't go there and vote not to kill him.
    Personally, I think this stunt is morally bankrupt and devoid of any social value, it's inappropriate to force others to choose whether you should live or die - any true sociologist knows that.
    Well for one, it isn't capital punishment if he chooses to put himself in this situation. It is, however, a case of terminal stupidity.

This also isn't forcing anyone to decide the man's life or death. Nobody's participation is mandatory.

I just want to see the yes votes win just to watch him back out of it. We have seen it here in the past. People just like attention, never expecting that they'll actually be expected to follow through on their claims.
    11-10-10 09:10 PM
    here's a site offering live feed
    http://svoichuzoi.org/en/home/
    11-11-10 05:06 PM
    He could actually be the first person to get a Darwin award whilst still alive.
    11-12-10 07:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD