CrackBerry community I turn to you where Google has failed.

I am trying to shrink my C: drive to acquire enough space to format a logical drive to install Ubuntu

I have tried defragmenting a number of times and have gained much additional space.

I have used the stock defragging application provided by Windows as well as PerfectDisk Professional.

I have also used PerfectDisk to defrag the Master File Table, NTFS Metadata and the Windows Pagefile during Windows boot.

I have also tried removing the pagefile.sys as well the hibernation file.

I have been running the command line as an administrator to shrink.

After selecting the proper disk, volume and partition through DISKPART, I input the following command "shrink querymax". I receive the message "The maximum number of reclaimable bytes is: 59GB.

I follow by entering "shrink" to get the most I can.

I only get roughly 7GB.

I go for another round and I get an error, something about space requested being too large.

When I do the defrag on PerfectDisk there is this metatype called $BadClus that inconveniently sits at the end of this volume. I am assuming this file is the root cause because between it and a large chunk of files is free space, and from my understanding it is an immovable file.

I understand that it has something to do with bad clusters. I have read around about editing $BadClus on Acronis Disk Editor, but there are so many sectors and random number/letter duets I don't want to touch it just yet.

Google has failed. Any ideas other than the "$BadClus is an immovable file, there is nothing you can do".

For further information I am running Windows Vista, the drive has roughly 160GB of space, most of which is free space according to PerfectDisk
    10-13-11 11:17 PM
    Upgrade to Windows 7.
    10-14-11 06:23 AM
    Upgrade to Windows 7.
    Cheap college student trying to squeeze as much life out of his aging laptop for the least amount of money. I have a desktop that runs Ubuntu, older than my laptop, runs beautifully and Wine has been good to me to run Windows application, Virtual Machine has been fun too.
    10-14-11 10:13 AM
    I do understand. Vista sucketh much and I have no use for it. If it hasn't crashed on you completely, it will. I'd linuxafy that bad boy in a heartbeat.
    10-14-11 10:16 AM
    Why? The more recent Linux installers haven't supported install to empty space. You can repartition the drive within the installer, that's how I've done it the last few installs.
    If you really want to partition it manually, have you tried Free Partition Magic alternative. Best Free Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 32 bit & 64 bit - EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition.
    10-14-11 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD