Surely some of the "techie" people on this forum can help. I'm considering getting a DSLR camera since I'm having a baby soon and would like some higher quality pictures. I started looking this weekend at some and was overwhelmed with info and options. I'm not anywhere close to a professional photographer, nor do I want to be. I just want some better pictures and from what I've seen a DSLR camera even on auto mode still takes considerably better pictures. Where should I start looking and what should I get as a startup package. Are there any items that are a must?

Thanks,
    03-08-10 09:09 AM
    I am have a Cannon DSLR eos Xi which takes really good pictures. and i bought it for basically the same reason, i have a little one and wanted to catch her on film growing up.

must???
    1: Tri-Pod
    2: UV filter
    3: time to practice
    4: be willing to experiment

I prefer Cannon Camera's only because i know what i am buying when i get it. i'm not a huge fan of Sony Camera. I think they make OK TV's and good Surround Systems, but cameras are eh...
    03-08-10 11:33 AM
    IF you do not want to be a "prof" camera person, you may want to look into some of the better point and shoot pocketable cams. They can take very good pictures and save on space.

I am thinking about getting the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 soon. The feature it has that I really like is it takes HD (720P) video. This could be important to a new parents. I also like that this cam has a very wide angle to it.

Bottom line, you need to write down what your needs are for a camera. While a DSLR is great, it is not for everybody. You may not need to spend to get what you need.

For example, our 2MP Olympus from 2001 is just dying. But until it started having it's problems, it took good pics. We even did some 8x10 enlargements from the 2mp base point. So, a pocket cam with 10-12MP, and improved innards, makes for a good value in my book.
    03-08-10 11:49 AM
    Something to remember, the amount of Megapixels doesn't mean a better picture, since you are probably never going to make a poster sized image of your kids pics, 10MP is more than big enough.

I really like Cannon, I have both Point and shoot, and DSLR Cannon Cams and I can tell ya, they are both 10MP camera's but the pictures are NO EVEN CLOSE to the same quality, I break out the DSLR for firsts, and for land scapes. point and click are for like busy days that my hands will be full but I want to be able to snap off a bunch of pics.

the 2 BEST options in my opinion are Cannon and Nikon, Both make excellent entry level DSLR's and have tones of Lens options at great prices, Cannons Bodies tend to cost a little more, with cheaper Lenses down the road, Nikon has a cheaper Body, more expensive lenses.

IF you can get your hands on the Canon Rebel XS grab it, it actually takes nicer pictures than the XSi because they have the same image sensor but the XSi is cramming more mega pixels into it.

I am by know means and expert, I picked up a DSLR 18 months or so ago and did extensive research,

NOW one BIG thing I have noticed, get a Class 6 or 10 SD Card, when I use Class 4, or Class 2, the camera lags a bit when I'm trying to Capture lots of pictures in a row, the Class 6 and 10 cards fix that, but are costly, I suggest grabbing 2 or 4 Class 10's so you can swap them out.

To address your needs, really both Cannon and Nikon will give you the "all around lens" in with the Body if you buy them in a single box, I got a camera case, used it maybe 3 times. I think I will probably buy a Tripod this summer, lots of times I have been trying to take a steady shot and failed.

Good luck man
    03-08-10 01:28 PM
    The Canon T1i is fairly good...very affordable in a bundle, shoots HD video (you'll love that feature...there are some moments that you can't capture in a single pic), extremely easy to use, lots of standard and creative shooting modes, a lot of compatible lenses...best thing to do is to check out DSLR forums and post there - you'll always run into the typical pro-photographer *******, but most people on there are decent.

Good luck!
    03-13-10 11:38 PM
    If you're really into photography and familiar with all the functions of a DSLR, i'll say go for a either Canon or Leica.

However, if you're not completely familiar with the functions (especially for a beginner), I'll recommend getting semi-pro like the Canon G11.

03-14-10 02:53 PM
    I have both a Nikon D40 and a D90, as much as I love the D90, I find the D40 in my hands more often, the fact that it's half the megapixel isn't an issue. I think the megapixel race has gotten out of hand. Don't worry so much about that and focus on whether or not you want a dslr. I think a canon G10 or similar is also a great compact camera with many manual features like a dslr. Go with what you feel comfortable handling. A lot of Dslr features you won't even use if you are a beginner.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD