I want to build a home PC to just do some office stuff (I have a powerful set-up at work for heavy lifting), bit of low-level photo-ending (literally cropping and the like) and watch videos and the like, I generally have quite a few browser tabs open - I am completely out of touch with modern platforms because work just buy me something powerful off the shelf - how does this sound?

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-D3H ATX FM2 Motherboard
    • Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    • Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    • Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
    • Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply
    wxmancanada likes this.
    10-01-13 03:14 PM
    For what it's out to do, this looks good to me. If you want more room, you can always bump the SSD down to 120-180GB and stick in a mechanical drive.
    cgk likes this.
    10-01-13 10:22 PM
    This system looks overkill for your use, but eh, it's so cheap to get a powerful office PC today!

I would also get a smaller SSD for main apps and a HDD for storage, if you need it. Otherwise, that's fine, considering you don't pay more than 800-900$ for this system, including the tower.

Posted via CB10
    Terser Nori and cgk like this.
    10-01-13 10:33 PM
    Getting some faster ram wouldn't hurt, imo. The gpu in the apu would really benefit from it.

Posted via CB10
    cgk likes this.
    10-01-13 10:39 PM
    Getting some faster ram wouldn't hurt, imo. The gpu in the apu would really benefit from it.

Posted via CB10
    If this isn't going to be used for gaming then I think 1600 is pretty good. Gaming on an APU, however, would be reason enough to get DDR3-1866 or higher.
    10-01-13 10:46 PM
    This system looks overkill for your use, but eh, it's so cheap to get a powerful office PC today!

I would also get a smaller SSD for main apps and a HDD for storage, if you need it. Otherwise, that's fine, considering you don't pay more than 800-900$ for this system, including the tower.

Posted via CB10
    It is overkill but as you said, it's so cheap now, I don't need to really worry about cutting corners - I picked that chip because the performance is plenty for me but it is ergency efficient.

Good point about the harddrive everyone, I'll reduce the SDD to 120gb for programmes and throw in a 1tb HD for files?
    10-02-13 01:46 AM
    I want to build a home PC to just do some office stuff (I have a powerful set-up at work for heavy lifting), bit of low-level photo-ending (literally cropping and the like) and watch videos and the like, I generally have quite a few browser tabs open - I am completely out of touch with modern platforms because work just buy me something powerful off the shelf - how does this sound?

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-D3H ATX FM2 Motherboard
    • Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    • Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    • Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
    • Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply
    Personally, I'd swap the Samsung SSD for a Crucial M500 as your OS drive and fit a mechanical HDD for storage.
    10-02-13 07:11 AM
    It is overkill but as you said, it's so cheap now, I don't need to really worry about cutting corners - I picked that chip because the performance is plenty for me but it is ergency efficient.

Good point about the harddrive everyone, I'll reduce the SDD to 120gb for programmes and throw in a 1tb HD for files?
    That plan sounds good. As for recommended brands, from personal experience, Hitachi hard drives are good (and stay away from Seagate).

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 07:57 AM
    That plan sounds good. As for recommended brands, from personal experience, Hitachi hard drives are good (and stay away from Seagate).

Posted via CB10
    I second staying away from Seagate; I tend to use Western Digital Black edition HDD's as my storage drives as they're fast and reliable.
    10-02-13 06:41 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't build a general-purpose machine anymore. You can buy Dells, Acers, and HPs in the $300-$500 range that are almost as good as gaming rigs were a few years ago. I mean, if you just want the experience of building your own box, go knock yourself out, and your spec is probably overkill for your stated use.

And, yes, I'd say go for a smaller SSD for system/apps and get a nice, chunky conventional drive or two. 120GB is okay for a single user, though if others will have profiles on the machine it might get a little tight.

I had a laptop with a 64GB SSD and a 500GB hard drive, and I was able to configure Windows 7 to use a junction point on the SSD to point to a folder on the big drive for my User folder. A little tricky, but do-able.
    10-02-13 07:42 PM
    Maybe you can in the US/can but off the shelf here the same money buys me a much weaker system, an ssd would be out of the question for example.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    10-03-13 02:01 AM