07-23-13 10:20 PM
87 1234
tools
    OP what's up your a** that's making you all pissy because of this? People make grammar and spelling mistakes, WHO CARES!!! Do you really think you're making the world a better place by pointing all of them out on an Internet forum and then making a post about how angry it gets you?

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    07-06-13 09:17 AM
    Agree with the word addicting as a participle adjective or not, I don't event see it used that way anyway, it's generally used in place of addictive, ie. I find caffeine addicting. Which is just plain wrong.

Funny enough, I'm not American. I'm from Canada. And we would actually agree with you on nearly everything in regards to your list above. That's not to say that people don't get lazy sometimes, that we don't get a little americanised as well, or that some Canadians aren't idiots (also some are French and thus speak English as a second language.) But as a whole, with the exception of the accent, Canadian English is much close to UK English then it is to American English despite the fact that we are a mere few paces apart.

Posted via CB10
    Very interesting observations, thank you for commenting. I do find both the similarities and differences between common languages and languages around the world in general an interesting topic, I must get out more! Lol

It gives me hope when you say that Canadian English has more in common with UK English than US English that all is not lost to the American steam roller as far as our common shared language is concerned .

One thing that made me glad that BlackBerry is Canadian is it meant that at the launch of the Z10 the US and the rest of the world got to hear the letter Z pronounced correctly as Zed and not Zee, for some perhaps for the first time in their lives!

I jest of course, pronunciation of English words and even letters is bound to differ over the globe, it's inevitable. Pronouncing letters differently happens even closer to home than most people in England would think. I was holidaying in the South West of Scotland recently, which is only around 150 miles from where I am in the far north of England and was surprised to find local people pronouncing the letter J as J'eye rather than J'ay. It's probably a very local slang and social standing/circle related thing as J in the alphabet is taught in schools in Scotland as J'ay but interesting all the same.

Ooh I just realised I said "holidaying", would a Canadian use the US "vacationing" instead? I've come across many US Americans who can't get their heads around the idea of there being "holidays" other than at Christmas. We have Easter Holidays, Public Holidays, schools have Summer Holidays, if you take time off work at any time of the year and go away somewhere you can be said to have gone on holiday. You can be said to have done that if you go away somewhere even if you don't have a job to take time off from. Ooh "from"...theres one I missed...

"Off of" vs "Off" and "From" - There are many people in the UK who in everyday speech do fall in to the trap of saying "off of" where they should either just say "off" or say "from". For example, "The wheel fell off of the wagon" which should just be "The wheel fell off the wagon" or alternatively "The wheel fell from the wagon". That doesn't always follow though as people here also often use "off of" when talking about where a famous person is known from for example "Joe Blogs off of <insert your favourite TV show here>" when only "Joe Blogs from..." should really be used, not "Joe Blogs off..."

I've come across "off of" often in US media too with the major difference being that in the US I've seen it used in written published and supposedly edited articles as well as heard it in TV broadcasts of news and factual programs. While it is a "figure of speech" in the UK and never used formally it seems to have become everyday written English in US. I've noticed figures of speech creep in to the formal writing styles of many US publications over the years which can alienate the reader as a figure of speech can be a very localised thing, certainly not understood or could easily be misinterpreted by someone not from that region or country. Perhaps it's the inward looking nature of the US relaxing formal writing styles and making the writer forget who the reader might be.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:18 AM
    The use of loose in place of lose makes me reach for jugs of booze.

Posted via CB10
    Oh yes that's a classic! Makes my blood boil lol

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:19 AM
    Here's one that is annoying: aks instead of ask. Really?
    That's more a pronunciation mistake isn't it? Have you ever seen ask actually written as aks aside from in someone's moronic Internet forum post? Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:22 AM
    OP what's up your a** that's making you all pissy because of this? People make grammar and spelling mistakes, WHO CARES!!! Do you really think you're making the world a better place by pointing all of them out on an Internet forum and then making a post about how angry it gets you?

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    We can discuss spelling and grammar without getting angry about it you know. This thread is just light hearted venting of steam about written and spoken pet hates that irk people. Some people find languages, the differences and how they are evolving interesting.

What we are discussing is not really about the fact that people make spelling and grammar mistakes, as you say anyone can make those mistakes, I know I do. It's more that it seems in the modern world that there are many more people who don't even realise they've made a mistake or that the way they have phrased something all their lives is actually not grammatically correct than there are people who can spot those mistakes and know how to phrase something correctly.

I'm all for language evolving, it should evolve, and it inevitably does. What I'm not so keen on is my language, English, de-volving through ignorance rather than evolving through enlightenment. If we let it de-volve where will that end? Will we all just end up grunting a vocabulary of a dozen words, counting on our fingers and toes and living in caves again?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 07-07-13 at 04:19 AM.
    unbreakablej likes this.
    07-06-13 09:34 AM
    That's more a pronunciation mistake isn't it? Have you ever seen ask actually written as aks aside from in someone's moronic Internet forum post? Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:36 AM
    07-06-13 09:47 AM

Ooh I just realised I said "holidaying", would a Canadian use the US "vacationing" instead? I've come across many US Americans who can't get their heads around the idea of there being "holidays" other than at Christmas...

Posted via CB10
    I'd say that one is probably a 50/50 spilt, but we would say we are on vacation or on holidays, rarely vacationing and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say holidaying.

Edit: Actually I think we more often use on holidays to describe time off from work, but on vacation to describe actually being abroad. Both are definitely used interchagably however.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 03:57 PM
    The Am/I'm misuse is annoying as well, "Am so happy right now"......please, please just shut up.

English isn't my native language but I don't go around talking like a nitwit and most teachers do their best it's just that kids can be assholes, to be honest.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 04:09 PM
    The Am/I'm misuse is annoying as well, "Am so happy right now"......please, please just shut up.

English isn't my native language but I don't go around talking like a nitwit and most teachers do their best it's just that kids can be assholes, to be honest.

Posted via CB10
    The discussion regarding differences in language between diffrent country's or areas of the world, as well as the evolution or de-volution of langue is an interesting one. But I'd like to see us refrain from insulting people for the way they talk and words they use, or becoming upset about it.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 04:42 PM
    I'm sorry (._.)

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 05:16 PM
    To be fair the guy that started this seemed pretty upset

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 05:23 PM
    To be fair the guy that started this seemed pretty upset

Posted via CB10
    Never said it was just you. Just saying let's move the discussion in a positive direction.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 08:48 PM
    Never said it was just you. Just saying let's move the discussion in a positive direction.

Posted via CB10
    Great, a freakin' liberal here with his touchy feely crap!

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:50 PM

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    "WHO CARES" is a question, and should be followed by "?".

Posted via CB10
    reeneebob likes this.
    07-07-13 01:10 AM
    "WHO CARES" is a question, and should be followed by "?".

Posted via CB10
    Evil.... lol.

OT: not a language issue but having the heart shape (which to me denotes 'love') as the 'Like' icon, as they do here in Crackberry,really irks me...
    07-07-13 01:28 AM
    Evil....
    OT: not a language issue but having the heart shape (which to me denotes 'love') as the 'Like' icon, as they do here in Crackberry,really irks me...
    It is odd having a heart symbol for Like because when you see it you immediately think it's the Love symbol.

But they used the thumbs up symbol for Thanks, that's what's caused it. What should the symbol for Thanks be?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 04:16 AM
    Explain 'Refrain' and 'Abstain' while you're at it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    07-07-13 04:25 AM
    The symbol for thanks could be a smiley face or a tank lool

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 05:42 AM
    Yeah I think a would be good for 'thanks' lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 06:21 AM
    Explain 'Refrain' and 'Abstain' while you're at it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Those 2 words are very different to me...

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 06:23 AM
    I saw a tattoo that a young girl got, after her father passed away, that said "Dad your forever in my heart". I didn't have the heart to tell her. I'll let someone else point it out. :-(

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 06:40 AM
    Last week I couldn't spell grajuit...now I are one.

Posted via CB10
    john_v likes this.
    07-07-13 07:34 AM
    The symbol for thanks could be a smiley face or a tank lool

Posted via CB10
    A tank! That's genius, "I'm lovin' it" lol

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 08:01 AM
    I had to revive this as a recent thread reminded me of another gem: "could of" in place of "could have"...
    johnnyuk and DocDRM like this.
    07-13-13 07:12 PM
87 1234