The accepted rules of the English language.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/gramm...s/ellipsis.htm
    I know. I was being sarcastic

Posted with my Z10 via CB10
    reeneebob likes this.
    07-04-13 11:33 AM
    My favorite: irregardless

Yo, I was with 1st Recon Bn back in early 90's. You have our logo as your avatar. When were you there?

If you were, add me on BBM pin:333C2889

Posted via CB10
    shaleem likes this.
    07-04-13 12:08 PM
    Oh yeah, this is funny!! Another one that irks me is the use of THERE, THEIR, THEY'RE. People are about as smart as a box of rocks.

On Facebook, the immediate response from these ***** is, "who cares, it's social media" or "LOL grammar nazi's"...as if they truly do know the difference but just don't care since it's only FB. I argue that they truly do NOT know and their witty comebacks are their only defense to being shown how ignorant they are.

Posted via CB10
    shaleem, jaydee5799 and HedoBum like this.
    07-04-13 12:12 PM
    I understand that English might not be a first language for some people, but for the people where it is their first language should probably go back to middle school for a year.

Who's and Whose
    It's and its
    To, too, and two
    Their, they're, and there
    Where, we're, and were
    And more!

JayDee should teach a little English class here on CrackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Jamez Avila and jaydee5799 like this.
    07-04-13 12:34 PM
    Yo, I was with 1st Recon Bn back in early 90's. You have our logo as your avatar. When were you there?

If you were, add me on BBM pin:333C2889

Posted via CB10
    I was a Corpsman with "Charlie" Co. 2nd Recon Bn. from May 1973 until September 1975. I actually served in the military from August 1971 until September 1975. I'm very proud of serving with Recon. Oh, were you the F'N Gunny? LOL I was an E5/HM2
    Jamez Avila likes this.
    07-04-13 12:53 PM
    Don't forget that loose doesn't equal lose. That one SLAYS me.

Also? You're doesn't equal your. Too not to. And don't even get me started on the fact that the allowed number of periods when trailing off a thought is three, not ..................
    The use of loose in place of lose drives me crazy!
    reeneebob and jaydee5799 like this.
    07-04-13 12:59 PM
    Well, people... Education is important but smartphones and race cars are importanter!

Posted from Z10 via CB10
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    07-04-13 01:08 PM
    Oh yeah, this is funny!! Another one that irks me is the use of THERE, THEIR, THEY'RE. People are about as smart as a box of rocks.

On Facebook, the immediate response from these ***** is, "who cares, it's social media" or "LOL grammar nazi's"...as if they truly do know the difference but just don't care since it's only FB. I argue that they truly do NOT know and their witty comebacks are their only defense to being shown how ignorant they are.

Posted via CB10
    Ah, you reminded me of the granddaddy of them all: the "possessive-plural"! Lots of poster's* do that.

*intentional
    Last edited by emstardeluxe; 07-04-13 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Since this error is so widespread, I thought I'd make it clear that my usage was intentional.
    07-04-13 01:08 PM
    OK, I'll do it

Candidate for a Pullet Surprise
    by Mark Eckman and Jerrold H. Zar

I have a spelling checker,
    It came with my PC.
    It plane lee marks four my revue
    Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
    Your sure reel glad two no.
    Its vary polished in it's weigh.
    My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
    It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
    It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
    And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
    Eye trussed too bee a joule.
    The checker pours o'er every word
    To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's
    Hour spelling mite decline,
    And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
    We wood bee maid too wine.

B utt now bee cause my spelling
    Is checked with such grate flare,
    Their are know fault's with in my cite,
    Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
    It does knot bring a tier.
    My pay purrs awl due glad den
    With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
    Of witch won should bee proud,
    And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
    Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
    Such soft wear four pea seas,
    And why eye brake in two averse
    Buy righting want too pleas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    This made my head hurt.

Hurt, not hurted.

Posted via CB10
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    07-04-13 01:15 PM
    My favorite: irregardless

With you on that whole irregardless word. Have had to correct a few some were supervisor's sad. Pathetic how they mutilate the language.

Posted via CB10
    shaleem and jaydee5799 like this.
    07-04-13 01:17 PM
    Shouldn't that be "make'em" or "make them" drink?

I just couldn't resist....

SILENCE!!! For I have spoken...
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 01:20 PM
    With you on that whole irregardless word. Have had to correct a few some were supervisor's sad. Pathetic how they mutilate the language.

Posted via CB10
    Uh-oh...
    07-04-13 01:27 PM
    Uh-oh...
    Hehe, nice catch!

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 04:23 PM
    The accepted rules of the English language.

The Ellipsis
    I hate it when they don't evenly space their dots!
    07-05-13 08:32 AM
    Well sorry but I have to show you all an even bigger travesty! See attached pic.

"BlackBerry Z10 is better then X" or "I want to e-punch anyone who uses THEN in place of THAN"-facebook-20130705-101935.png

Posted via CB10
    just_luc, HedoBum and rnhld like this.
    07-05-13 12:34 PM
    Well sorry but I have to show you all an even bigger travesty! See attached pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facebook-20130705-101935.png 
Views:	538 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	179311

Posted via CB10
    That is not just sad, it is scary!

Jamez Avila likes this.
    07-05-13 06:45 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facebook-20130705-101935.png 
Views:	538 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	179311

Posted via CB10
    Now that's just frightening. This thread was making me smile, chuckle, and shake my head in turns to that point.
    Jamez Avila likes this.
    07-05-13 07:22 PM
    My own personal pet hate that I see a certain CrackBerry Editor and some CrackBerry writers incorrectly use as an adjective very frequently is.....

Addicting.

(cringe)

What an awful travesty that non-word is.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 07-05-13 at 08:12 PM.
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    07-05-13 07:25 PM
    My own personal pet hate that I see a certain CrackBerry Editor and some CrackBerry writers incorrectly use as an adjective very frequently is.....

Addicting.

(cringe)

What an awful travesty that non-word is.

Posted via CB10
    Actually addicting is a word, HOWEVER it's a participle adjective of the verb to addict, and therefore should only be used to describe the action of causing someone to be addicted to something. IE, Marry is addicting John to crackberry.

It should NOT be used in place of the adjective addictive. IE crackberry.com is addictive. It in itself is not addicting. Although it [crackberry] might be addicting people to blackberrys

Posted via CB10
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    07-05-13 11:41 PM
    Actually addicting is a word, HOWEVER it's a participle adjective of the verb to addict, and therefore should only be used to describe the action of causing someone to be addicted to something. IE, Marry is addicting John to crackberry.

It should NOT be used in place of the adjective addictive. IE crackberry.com is addictive. It in itself is not addicting. Although it [crackberry] might be addicting people to blackberrys

Posted via CB10
    Yes I know it's technically a word but it still sounds out if place to an Englishman. "Mary is addicting John to Crackberry" is a very American usage, perhaps even a solely American usage. Nobody in the UK using English English, or just English, would say that, except people who are copying Americans they've heard, and heard recently at that. I hadn't come across this usage until I started reading articles and posts by people from the US and Canada on the CrackBerry website regularly around a year ago.

In the UK one would instead say "Mary is making John addicted to CrackBerry" avoiding the use of "addicting" altogether.

There is another problem with using addicting in the way you described in that if I said "I am addicting myself to caffeine" rather than "I am becoming addicted to caffeine" the former implies that I'm doing it to myself on purpose which isn't usually what one is trying to convey. The latter implies that as a consequence of consuming caffeine I am becoming addicted to it but that was not my intention or primary reason for consuming caffeine. That's what one would usually want to convey unless one were consciously performing some kind of experiment on oneself in order to experience the effects of caffeine addiction, making becoming addicted one's objective rather than to just enjoy the taste and stimulant effect of drinking lots of cups of coffee!

There are of course many differences between English and American English that have evolved over the years. I'm not saying they are all wrong by any means, it's the natural evolution of language. But it will always mean that for either side the other side's way if saying something that differs will always sound out of place.

Just for fun and to spark debate other quirks of American English versus English that I always notice are:

"I'm going to write him" vs "I'm going to write to him" - the former would be taken by an Englishman to mean that you are going to write the word "him" on a piece of paper and do nothing else.

"Can I get" vs "Can I have" - when ordering food and drink for example. No you can't go and get a medium rare steak from the kitchen, you don't work there. The waiter can get it for you so that you can have it! Oh and the polite way to ask is "May I have" but to be honest "May I" is less commonly used now in the the UK as we all become little -Americans.

Oftentimes vs often - in the UK the medieval word oftentimes fell out of usage a long time ago. It's not wrong it just sounds very parochial and rural American to our ears when used today through exposure to American media. Weirdly it's another CrackBerry regular (ooh 'regular' that's next!) particularly used by Kevin, perhaps it's more commonly used in Canada?

"Regular" used as a size or type in retail, i.e. Regular vs Small - This is one that's used frequently over here now as the inevitable result of the Americanisation (note the s as opposed to the z) of high street retail in the UK. If I'm ordering food or drink from an American fast food chain dump I make a point of not saying "regular" and saying "small" or "medium" instead depending on which size the word regular appears to have done away with, just to be different. The American usage of the word regular to replace describing a specific size to me is symptomatic of the dumbing down of our language. It's as if you are being told not to bother knowing what something actually is, just call it "regular" and hope that means something to someone and don't have any expectations about what you will receive. Don't ask awkward questions, just regurgitate the predefined choices without ever knowing anything. Sometimes I wish the French or the Spanish had dominated the lands that became the USA just so our beautiful language, and knowledge in general, would be safer.

"September 12" vs "September the 12th" or "The 12th of September" - I know Americans love to abbreviate everything as much as they can but repeated abbreviations leads to a baron colourless expressionless vocabulary. An American saying "September 12" always sounds lazy to us as if he or she couldn't be bothered to say "the" or pronounce the "th" at the end of "12th". I know "The 12th of September" itself is an abbreviation of "The 12th day of September in the year of our Lord...." but out of pride in our rich language we haven't stripped it down to the bones quite yet!

And finally still on the date theme a convention quirk between both sides of "the pond" that causes confusion:

US Dates vs UK Dates or MM/DD/YYYY vs DD/MM/YYYY - Stating the month first, why? Just why?! Smallest, larger, largest that's the only logical way to express a date ending in the year using the number / number / number notation. Or if you start with the year use largest, smaller, smallest YYYY/MM/DD.
    Imagine looking at a digital clock and instead of seeing HH:MM:SS it was HH:SS:MM with the seconds in the middle! That's what US Dates look like to us, totally illogical.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 07-06-13 at 08:15 AM.
    harshadpatel and unbreakablej like this.
    07-06-13 06:39 AM
    Agree with the word addicting as a participle adjective or not, I don't event see it used that way anyway, it's generally used in place of addictive, ie. I find caffeine addicting. Which is just plain wrong.

Funny enough, I'm not American. I'm from Canada. And we would actually agree with you on nearly everything in regards to your list above. That's not to say that people don't get lazy sometimes, that we don't get a little americanised as well, or that some Canadians aren't idiots (also some are French and thus speak English as a second language.) But as a whole, with the exception of the accent, Canadian English is much close to UK English then it is to American English despite the fact that we are a mere few paces apart.

Posted via CB10
    johnnyuk likes this.
    07-06-13 08:00 AM
    As annoying as it is, sometimes I feel you guys should just take a break.

Languages are constantly evolving to suit the needs of the people. It is ultimately a tool to communicate and if one is able to get one's point across, why not? You know when a person meant "you are" even if they typed "your". What is considered technically wrong today may in the future become the norm. I'm not an expert on etymology but I'm pretty sure they are many compelling examples.

And some people are just not that good in languages... I can attest to that. I struggle with tenses and spellings all the time even though I can write perfect English... it just takes more effort and concentration which one might not have when posting online.

Posted via CB10
    johnnyuk likes this.
    07-06-13 09:00 AM
    The use of loose in place of lose drives me crazy!
    The use of loose in place of lose makes me reach for jugs of booze.

Posted via CB10
    johnnyuk likes this.
    07-06-13 09:00 AM
    Reminds me of the time when I was doing an internship in an American law firm I was at first surprised why they must email such formal "inquiries " to the government (with questions) before realising they do not use "enquire " at all.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:06 AM
    Here's one that is annoying: aks instead of ask. Really?
    07-06-13 09:09 AM
87 1234