PC at work and home and a dell lap top.
    10-24-11 01:04 PM
    MS Office runs fine on a Mac.

I use Windows XP at work but I have pretty much eliminated Microsoft from my personal life with the exception of Office 2008 for the Mac. At home I/we an iMac and two iPads have replaced a Windows XP desktop and two netbooks.

I found using a BB with a Mac worked OK for the most part but eWallet wouldn't sync and when I had to use BBSAK to fix my 9700, I had to dust off a netbook.
    Because it runs fine does not make it present,

and there is more than just office applications, it doesn't change the constant added work I have when dealing with the very small percentage of Mac users in my business life,

On the personal life the Mac user base is far greater.
    10-24-11 06:30 PM
    I think that would be a very bad strategy. If a BB user switches to the Mac and finds RIM's support for the platform poor, it is more likely that they will dump the BB than dump the Mac.

That said, until I bought an first gen iPad last May, I was a Windows/BB user for my personal tech.
    I'm not saying drop support, but focusing on support for Mac, when focusing on Linux would be far more important, they want to attract developers, and Linux is a developers platform more so than others.
    10-24-11 06:32 PM
    Because it runs fine does not make it present,

and there is more than just office applications, it doesn't change the constant added work I have when dealing with the very small percentage of Mac users in my business life,

On the personal life the Mac user base is far greater.
    It's possible to have a Windows PC without Office too. Lawyers typically use Word Perfect.
    However, in my industry everyone runs Windows at work. They did have to provide a remote login service that supported Macs though because so many employees use them at home (especially IT staff who get sick of dealing with Windows problems at work).

BTW Did you know that 90% of retail sales for computers over $1000 are Macs.
    10-24-11 08:03 PM
    I'm not saying drop support, but focusing on support for Mac, when focusing on Linux would be far more important, they want to attract developers, and Linux is a developers platform more so than others.
    I think that a greater percentage of the Linux user base is developers but I don't know that more developers use Linux. Mac OS X and Linux are very similar BTW. Linux is basically a BSD Unix clone and Mac OS X is basically BSD Unix with a Mach micro-kernal. Macs come with X windows support out of the box (and xemacs, perl, python, various Unix shells and even svn).
    10-24-11 08:07 PM
    Windows... probably for the same reason I have Blackberrys: Habit, I sometimes think
    Nice, I know how you feel, I also like to tink on my own and not be told what I like.

desktop dual boot Windows server 2008 R2 / and windows 8 developer both 64 bit
    Laptop windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
    10-24-11 08:28 PM
    BTW Did you know that 90% of retail sales for computers over $1000 are Macs.
    This exists merely because Macs are priced that high.
    Similar to saying a high percentage of expensive cars bought happen to be luxury models.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-24-11 08:35 PM
    This exists merely because Macs are priced that high.
    Similar to saying a high percentage of expensive cars bought happen to be luxury models.
    That's certainly one way of interpreting the data. The other is that consumers who are willing to spend money for a better computer generally believe that Apple can provide that experience and the MS/HP/Dell etc cannot.

To use your analogy, BMW can charge a lot more for its cars than Cadillac.
    10-24-11 09:33 PM
    I use Macs. Got my iMac for home and MacBook Air for business trips.
    10-25-11 12:49 AM
    Windows 7, XP, and on a few notebooks PC-BSD.

If you work in science, tech or industry, and need to interface with your devices, instruments, or machinery, almost all devices link to Windows systems only.

But, I'd use whatever it takes to get my job done. I try to keep away from using a phone or computer as much as possible.
    10-25-11 01:52 AM
    Windows because I can run business apps needed for work (Miva script compiler/server). Also have an old Mac PPC (mini) that's used in the kitchen. Simple uses like looking up stuff on Google. Old Mac OS though (Panther?).

Also running Mint Linux on home PC in virtual box and Ubuntu Linux at work. Love the speed and power and consistency.

I prefer Linux. But working with tech all day and sick of it at times I tend to fall back on Windows because of compatibility in general. Just easier to get some things I need for work, to work and inter-operate .

Never really like the Mac OS even after using it for years. Keep the mini around, but when it dies that'll be it for Macs here.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-25-11 02:16 AM
    Interesting, I thought most mac users will use iPhone.

I use Mac at work, and that is the reason that I added Mac support for my software TinyController.
    10-25-11 04:08 AM
    Hi,

I use a mac at home (Macbook pro), love it even though Blackberry Desktop sucks on it (for updates)..

Otherwise I enjoy it every day and I can't use Windows anymore...
    10-25-11 06:46 AM
    Windows, unfortunately; Mac is too expensive for me.
    10-25-11 08:50 AM
    Windows and Linux.
    10-25-11 10:38 AM
    Mac sucks how I can't do no "doodoo" with it for my blackberry though
    10-25-11 11:57 AM
    That's certainly one way of interpreting the data. The other is that consumers who are willing to spend money for a better computer generally believe that Apple can provide that experience and the MS/HP/Dell etc cannot.

To use your analogy, BMW can charge a lot more for its cars than Cadillac.
    Alienware desktops and laptops can be much more expensive than Macs, especially if configured with the top-of-the-line HW.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    10-25-11 12:12 PM
    I think that would be a very bad strategy. If a BB user switches to the Mac and finds RIM's support for the platform poor, it is more likely that they will dump the BB than dump the Mac.

That said, until I bought an first gen iPad last May, I was a Windows/BB user for my personal tech.
    It's possible to have a Windows PC without Office too. Lawyers typically use Word Perfect.
    However, in my industry everyone runs Windows at work. They did have to provide a remote login service that supported Macs though because so many employees use them at home (especially IT staff who get sick of dealing with Windows problems at work).
    I missed this earlier - I would tend to agree. If I had a Mac and the software/support wasn't there for it, making a choice between which to continue using wouldn't be a terribly involved process. We have a roommate that does graphic design, uses Macs 100% - one at work, two at home. Recently she's been asking to use mine and my wife's Win7 machines because her employer has been discussing going Windows-only. And, due to her purchasing the 1st release Storm2 plus not being able to maintenance it with DM and apploader once it dies she's going back to a regular phone - it put her off having any smartphone again. Mind you she's just one person but it's a good support for what you're saying.

The other is that consumers who are willing to spend money for a better computer generally believe that Apple can provide that experience and the MS/HP/Dell etc cannot.
    Windows, unfortunately; Mac is too expensive for me.
    gulbay nails it. You're not paying that much unless you know you want one, because hardware-wise a pre-built Windows machine will usually cost less than a similar Mac. So saying most expensive purchases are Macs falls in the "kinda goes without sayin'" category.
    10-25-11 01:26 PM
    Alienware desktops and laptops can be much more expensive than Macs, especially if configured with the top-of-the-line HW.
    Indeed. Extreme example is MaximumPC's yearly Dream Machine. This year it's $12,588. Back in '08, it was over $18k.
    10-25-11 01:32 PM
    Mac and Linux here (and Windows )!
    10-25-11 01:38 PM
    pc and macbook, ps3 and xbox360, iphone 4 and bold 9700.
    10-25-11 02:12 PM
    I've used a mac for my home computer for years, but bought my first iPhone last year.

One of the things I hated most about owning a Blackberrys and a Mac, the fact I was always left stuck when it came to custom firmware upgrades e.g Desktop manager for Mac.

Is it still not possible to perform custom firmware upgrades with DM for Mac?
    10-25-11 02:21 PM
    I've been using Windows for years. I see Mac as flashy and expensive and Windows meets my needs.
    10-25-11 02:45 PM
    I missed this earlier - I would tend to agree. If I had a Mac and the software/support wasn't there for it, making a choice between which to continue using wouldn't be a terribly involved process. We have a roommate that does graphic design, uses Macs 100% - one at work, two at home. Recently she's been asking to use mine and my wife's Win7 machines because her employer has been discussing going Windows-only. And, due to her purchasing the 1st release Storm2 plus not being able to maintenance it with DM and apploader once it dies she's going back to a regular phone - it put her off having any smartphone again. Mind you she's just one person but it's a good support for what you're saying.
    Why wouldn't she just buy an iPhone? A touch screen is clearly not a problem.
    10-25-11 04:37 PM
    I've been using Windows for years. I see Mac as flashy and expensive and Windows meets my needs.
    I see PCs as frustrating time wasters and Macs as computers which just work.

I paid for my Apple Mac using the money I earn developing Windows software.
    10-25-11 04:40 PM
106 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD