before Windows 7 hit the scene, I was very much a Yoper fan, with some unbuntu due to popularity flirtings, ( plus I liked Mythbuntu)

Though I never really Liked Gnome or KDE, when Xfce started to actually be usable that was my go to environment,
    I have Xfce installed also, but I haven't really used it much. I do plan to try it more.
    10-23-11 11:51 PM
    Windows 7
    10-23-11 11:55 PM
    I have Xfce installed also, but I haven't really used it much. I do plan to try it more.
    I'm not one for pieces of flare in my desktop environment

xfce was the right mix of flare and function
    10-23-11 11:56 PM
    before Windows 7 hit the scene, I was very much a Yoper fan, with some unbuntu due to popularity flirtings, ( plus I liked Mythbuntu)

Though I never really Liked Gnome or KDE, when Xfce started to actually be usable that was my go to environment,
    Yoper. Nifty - never tried that, looks like something for my desktop only though; while my netbook is dual-core it can't run some distros well, and I prefer having the exact OS duplicated on both - version and architecture. I'll definitely be giving it a whirl, although LMDE remains my preferred distro.

to be Windows 8 compliant and have sticker rights they have to enable it default, and make users turn it off.
    That's not the end of the world then. I can get behind that. I don't think I'd handle well Windows reverting to "breaking" things like it did years ago.
    10-24-11 12:15 AM
    windows 7 on the pc
    and a macbook
    10-24-11 12:28 AM
    Yoper. Nifty - never tried that, looks like something for my desktop only though; while my netbook is dual-core it can't run some distros well, and I prefer having the exact OS duplicated on both - version and architecture. I'll definitely be giving it a whirl, although LMDE remains my preferred distro.
    Yoper 3.1 I think was the last installation I had of Yoper, and at that time it was one of the fastest booting fastest installed linux distro's

I never had patience for slackware or gentoo which could boot faster after a much lengthier install
    10-24-11 12:40 AM
    Windows 7 buyin a macbook soon

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-11 01:10 AM
    I ditched Ubuntu and switched to Mint after they went with the Unity desktop.

I'm also running openSUSE 11.4 with GNOME 2.32.1. I'll try the Gnome 3 desktop in a few weeks when openSUSE 12.1 is official.

I really would not be surprised if some folks are not aware of Linux. Unless one is a hobbyist, he probably does not experience Linux on a desktop. It is pretty much impossible to find desktops/laptops in big box stores that have Linux preinstalled. Typically, users need to download/install the distro of their choice or visit vendor websites to order computers with Linux preinstalled.

Linux servers are much more common, but the typical consumer would not be aware, even though the websites he visits probably use Linux servers, and there might even be Linux servers running at his workplace.
    You're right, I've not seen anything other than Windows on machines unless it was an Apple product in stores; in fact the only two places that come to mind are Toshibadirect offering Ubuntu (specifics unknown) on a couple machines, and I think Dell.com had some too.

If openSUSE 12.1 works with gnome 3 I'll definitely be using it again - YaST is outstanding. Sadly 11.4 kept having odd quirks with gnome, and I'm not a KDE fan; although oddly I do like it on my Sabayon install.

Same. For some reason I keep overlooking it for fluxbox when I want a small footprint (like on my still-running IBM r30).
    10-24-11 01:11 AM
    Just my general observation for fun, but I see that a lot of people who use blackberrys tend to prefer Mac over Windows OS (including myself).

So which operating system do you guys use at home?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i think a poll would have done a good job

i use windows
    10-24-11 01:11 AM
    Mac. I feel jealous for lack of support for BB's. Specially wi-fi sync and stuff.
    10-24-11 01:18 AM
    Yoper 3.1 I think was the last installation I had of Yoper, and at that time it was one of the fastest booting fastest installed linux distro's

I never had patience for slackware or gentoo which could boot faster after a much lengthier install
    I'll look into that - I can break from using twin installs if I can get a quick boot and hibernation back (LMDE does neither). If battery life can beat Sabayon's 8-9 hours (with KDE!) I'm definitely sold.
    10-24-11 01:19 AM
    Mac. I feel jealous for lack of support for BB's. Specially wi-fi sync and stuff.
    I'm curious if that will continue to be the case with Tim Cook at Apple's helm. Windows works with a great many things, and look where it's gotten Microsoft. If DM software and a few other things I use Windows specifically for had a Mac version working just as well, I'd be putting a Mac on my Christmas list.
    10-24-11 01:37 AM
    Mac mini running Lion.
    10-24-11 02:08 AM
    Windows all the way...
    10-24-11 03:47 AM
    Windows... probably for the same reason I have Blackberrys: Habit, I sometimes think
    10-24-11 05:45 AM
    I'm curious if that will continue to be the case with Tim Cook at Apple's helm. Windows works with a great many things, and look where it's gotten Microsoft. If DM software and a few other things I use Windows specifically for had a Mac version working just as well, I'd be putting a Mac on my Christmas list.
    I would bet it is as much a RIM thing as it is an Apple thing.

I would venture that RIM would be better to make a DM work for Linux than to dedicate the resources to making a DM for Mac. same with development tools, Focus on Windows and Linux, don't do anything to encourage the use of the Mac beyond necessity, as Apple has a way of slowly converting users into the full world of Apple.

They Need developer support, and they Need mass market support, the Mac computer has a lower market share than RIM BlackBerry's do in their respective markets.
    10-24-11 07:11 AM
    windows 7 desktop, and macbook air
    10-24-11 07:12 AM
    Windows 7 64bit

This would have been better as a poll.
    10-24-11 07:54 AM
    Windows, from 3.11 till 7 now lol.

Mac has always frustrated me. Applications that are designed for Mac are fine, but using the basic Mac OS is a nightmare.

I understand why the U.I. people CAN access in Pods and Phones are mostly simple and preset and generally not customizable/detailed, otherwise people would realize that Apple is not as elegant and intuitive as the ads make it out to be.
    10-24-11 10:11 AM
    Windows xp and 7
    10-24-11 10:19 AM
    I use a Mac
    10-24-11 10:28 AM

I have slackware installation CDs around, but just haven't tried it due to the lengthy installation process.
    10-24-11 10:53 AM
    Now I'll admit I have 3 customers whom I HATE having to send emails to because they are Mac Based shops and ALWAYS require special formatting vs the rest of the Windows world, so my belief that I need to use Windows because I have work to do is as much my preference as it is the OS of business, just as English is the dominating language of Business. Windows/MS Office are the dominating players in the Business world, and if you have little time to tinker and need to get things done it is a time saver and your best interest to use those tools.
    MS Office runs fine on a Mac.

I use Windows XP at work but I have pretty much eliminated Microsoft from my personal life with the exception of Office 2008 for the Mac. At home I/we an iMac and two iPads have replaced a Windows XP desktop and two netbooks.

I found using a BB with a Mac worked OK for the most part but eWallet wouldn't sync and when I had to use BBSAK to fix my 9700, I had to dust off a netbook.
    10-24-11 11:50 AM
    I use Mac as my primary computer but I also have a PC netbook which I can use for OS updates.
    10-24-11 12:37 PM
    I would bet it is as much a RIM thing as it is an Apple thing.

I would venture that RIM would be better to make a DM work for Linux than to dedicate the resources to making a DM for Mac. same with development tools, Focus on Windows and Linux, don't do anything to encourage the use of the Mac beyond necessity, as Apple has a way of slowly converting users into the full world of Apple.

They Need developer support, and they Need mass market support, the Mac computer has a lower market share than RIM BlackBerry's do in their respective markets.

I think that would be a very bad strategy. If a BB user switches to the Mac and finds RIM's support for the platform poor, it is more likely that they will dump the BB than dump the Mac.

That said, until I bought an first gen iPad last May, I was a Windows/BB user for my personal tech.
    10-24-11 12:57 PM
106 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD