I agree with the bottom part of the article where it says that a child will know that this isn't the real deal. But you be the judge and decide...would you get one for a child?

Texting made easy for your tot: At least new LeapFrog toy will keep 'em off your cell!
    02-04-09 11:41 AM
    I havnt read the article, the title gets my back up a little. "keep em off your cell" well, who is the boss of the house, whose cell is it, and no kid should feel entitled to use anything ma or pa have. Like I tell my child, I own everything, I just let you use it LOL
    02-04-09 12:49 PM
    I havnt read the article, the title gets my back up a little. "keep em off your cell" well, who is the boss of the house, whose cell is it, and no kid should feel entitled to use anything ma or pa have. Like I tell my child, I own everything, I just let you use it LOL
    Yeah, of course...I don't have kids, but if it was me, I wouldn't let a child touch my BlackBerry with a ten foot pole!!!
    02-04-09 12:58 PM
    My wife is already trying to find these for our kids. My daughter (2) is such a little techno geek already that she is always trying to take my or my wife's BB. She also has a real fondness for remote controls.
    02-04-09 01:13 PM
    I gave my kids (3 and 7) my old htc to play with. Sure it's only winmo / touchscreen, but that's about the right level for 3-7 years
    My daughter once picked up my bold and it took her about 2 seconds to see my expression and put it back carefully.
    She's the only other person that's touched it. Stick with winmo until you're a bit older.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 02:20 PM
    I like the fact that my child may learn something from it. My little one already knows its "hands off" my Berry. But for the price, I think we have enough gadgets already
    02-04-09 02:23 PM
    I like the fact that my child may learn something from it. My little one already knows its "hands off" my Berry. But for the price, I think we have enough gadgets already
    Yeah, seeing how it's Leap Frog, one can make the assumption that they will learn something from it
    02-04-09 02:47 PM
    There have been toy phones forever, toy kitchens and toy everything grown up for ages. Most people in their 50's had some sort of silly looking toy phone or a used spare as a toddler to play with.

I grew up in a household were we learned pretty quickly, what we could and could not play with. If it was super tempting, it was out of our reach. (evil mommy!) I can still hear my mom saying..."If you put it where she could reach it, who's fault is that?"

Little kids are smart, they know if they are allowed to play with something, it's not very important to the big people. Now that thing they keep taking away and makes them say NO! all the time, now that's something worth playing with because...

It makes the big people chase me. (more attention than crying, now that I can walk)

It makes them all red in the face when I put it in the water bowl that make noises when I pull on the handle. (third one this month, I'm getting good at this)

It makes them give me other things, to play *Hide the thing I want*. (a very fun game that I always win!!!)
    02-05-09 11:02 AM
    i will probably be getting one of these for my niece (she will be three next month). leapfrog makes wonderful toys for kids, and she has a TON of them. However, my concern isn't with her "growing up too fast" but her health. is it healthy for her itty bitty fingers and thumbs and joints that she be texting at such a young age? i don't want her to get carpal tunnel by the age of six lol
    02-05-09 11:10 AM
    well, maybe i wont get her one...there is no scroll ball...she'll know its a fake...
    02-05-09 11:15 AM
    Just as the article states: children need to learn real world things and not just technology. I couldn't imagine what my child would ask for who is almost 6 if they learned to text @ 3yo. We have an old 7100i nextel bb that I let them play with that has no battery. Kids now adays (not all of them) are being raised to learn to work and good common sense. Technology as you know keeps them from it because they can hide away in there rooms and talk on the phone at the young age of 3 now as this toy is saying. Just my 2 cents

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 11:42 AM
    haha. I just got my Blackberry Curve in the mail a day or so ago. My 5 year old realized that my Pearl wasn't going to be of use to me anymore, and was wanting it.. He has his own cell phone ( for reasons I won't post) but I firmly said NO to a Blackberry! lol
    02-07-09 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD