Don't know if this is in the right section but it's a pretty interesting read

BlackBerry confusion surrounds looming shutdown - Apr. 8, 2011

If the government were to shut down Friday, the 800,000 furloughed federal employees would actually be violating the law if they were to check their work e-mail.
    04-08-11 10:17 AM
    I was just going to post this as well. Pretty interesting article.
    04-08-11 10:22 AM
    how about... any dept that no one complains about it being "closed" during the shutdown, get closed permanently! lol
    04-08-11 10:33 AM
    Shoulda got Blackberry Balance out sooner lol.
    04-08-11 10:34 AM
    I guess they'll all have to get personal devices. Good news for iPhone and Android!
    04-08-11 10:47 AM
    I guess they'll all have to get personal devices. Good news for iPhone and Android!
    Ya know I never thought that chrisy would go there, part of the collective now.

The collective part is a joke people.
    04-08-11 10:52 AM
    I don't get it, aren't they all on a salary anyway?
    04-08-11 10:59 AM
    LOL! Aww, come on. You didn't mind when I was the same way for BlackBerry.
    04-08-11 11:00 AM
    It's not like RIM is shutting down.

But seriously, what do the govt employees who use iphone and android as their business devices do? They have to go back to BlackBerry so I guess it works both ways.
    04-08-11 11:16 AM
    I've been told that if the government shuts down today and if I check my government e-mail that I can be fined up to $2000 for breaking the law, and that they will be monitoring to see who logs in remotely. Needless to say the devices I would use to check remotely are staying at the office. Blackberry devices are all issued by the agency so they will probably take them on Monday for those who have them.
    04-08-11 12:12 PM
    I don't get it, aren't they all on a salary anyway?
    If the government shuts down they don't get paid. The law says if they're not getting paid they're not allowed to work. Checking their email counts as work.
    04-08-11 12:31 PM
    Myself personally, I'd absolutely love to have an excuse to intentionally ignore my email for just one day.
    04-08-11 12:40 PM
    Myself personally, I'd absolutely love to have an excuse to intentionally ignore my email for just one day.
    It is nice, but then again I'm sure I don't make the $$ that you do either.
    04-08-11 03:41 PM
    And they wonder why the government is so F*cked up and we cant pass a budget. Lets all worry about our blackberries instead of the country. Brilliant politicians at work.
    04-08-11 04:39 PM
    it shouldn't be but this article suggests it's a slow news day.
    04-08-11 05:08 PM
    Non excepted personnel will report to work on Monday morning to turn in their laptops and blackberries. The devices will be inventoried in and locked.
    Contractors are off work as well.
    There is a group of government employees who are excepted - essential personnel. They will pick up where the furloughed personnel leaves off.
    Problem is that contractors do the majority of support work on production databases and applications, so there will be a huge vacuum. Additonally there is the possibility that GSA will play hard ball and shut down buildings all over DC - not sure what guidance they've received.
    For personnel who is non essential to do any work would violate union rules so they would be at least reprimanded.
    My agency will continue working, we're not affected.
    04-08-11 08:15 PM
    LOL..thats all I can say.....
    04-08-11 08:22 PM
    And they wonder why the government is so F*cked up and we cant pass a budget. Lets all worry about our blackberries instead of the country. Brilliant politicians at work.
    They can't decide on a budget because all of a sudden all the politicians who get paid to do exactly ****, are worried someone's taking all their cookie jars away.
    04-09-11 12:09 AM
    what really angers me is that they would have continued to get paid. the people who would have been furloughed would not have been paid but the fat cats on the Hill would have continued to get paid.
    that they would have put military and their families at risk of not being paid is just beyond criminal. payments that would have gone to families of soldiers killed in action would have been delayed...absolutely criminal.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-09-11 03:24 AM
    I think that everyone should have to pay taxes with a 1099. They would be able to see more clearly how much they are taxed. Most people don't see it since the taxes are deducted before a person receives their check and as such doesn't really miss the money. In fact many people are excited to get a refund check for the taxes that were over paid during the course of the year. If more people were required to write a huge check at the end of the year, maybe the politicians would be held more accountable for our money.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-11 10:35 AM
    If more people were required to write a huge check at the end of the year, maybe the politicians would be held more accountable for our money.
    When you see large companies like General Electric who made over 14 billion in profits for 2010, and yet managed to not have to pay ANY taxes, I'd say it's more an issue the politicians need to be held more accountable on collecting taxes.
    04-09-11 01:24 PM
    flat tax is the answer..17%
    04-09-11 02:22 PM
    CrackBerry is not the place to discuss politics, which is where this thread has gone.
    04-09-11 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD