I see these bar codes a lot in Super Street Magazine, and Dsport Mag. But I've never tried scanning them so now i think i will!
    06-21-10 11:31 AM
    Still have the 9700? Check your PM's.

Doug
    06-21-10 11:32 AM
    Tool cool. Nice to see RIM doing stuff like this.
    06-21-10 11:36 AM
    The people working the bbm BlackBerrys were definitely RIM people. The VIP area was sponsored by Rogers.

The RIM people were dressed very stealthy. Black pants, and cool T shirts that said BBMe written in grey. I kept asking for a shirt :-D

I spoke to the boss lady in the VIP lounge and told her how much I enjoyed the whole thing. She seemed quite surprised that a 41 year old like me was so excited. :-P

As for how many people were involved, we got the last VIP passes, last pair of front row tickets, and by the time I needed a battery swap, she only had a few left.

RIM really is pushing bbm with the younger crowd, and rightfully so. We all know it is one of the best things about a BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-10 12:08 PM
    Wow...i think RIM is getting people really excited about Blackberries!!! I think this upcoming year we will see A LOT from RIM, great advertising and new phones hopefully!
    06-21-10 12:16 PM
    What a neat story (and my heart went out to you for even having to attend the thing in the first place, lol). That's some great branding. I don't think they'll do this at the kind of concerts I go to (blues and jazz), but I'll definitely keep an eye out for them and if I spot them, I'll take advantage of it!
    06-21-10 12:24 PM
    Awesome story, love it! I hope to see this keep on going, it sounds like a fun scavenger hunt!
    06-21-10 12:30 PM
    This is great! Any have any word of sightings of this stuff in the NYC area?
    SLASH has anyone heard of a vendor app that makes a shortcut for scanning barcodes? I'm surprised Quicklaunch hasn't added that to their list.
    06-21-10 12:46 PM
    Sounds similar to something Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails did awhile back. They had these 'fake' websites with hints, codes, secret images, etc encoded in them. They even went as far as to leak audio which needed to be viewed on an image analyzer which would produce an image. At concerts they would drop pen drives off in random places like bathrooms which had new song leaks and other information for further hints on them. It was amazing some of the things they did and turned the whole thing into this easter egg hunt/game viral marketing scheme. It had forums and fans going nuts over all this stuff for quite awhile.

This sounds like a great opportunity for bb if they continue to do things similar!
    06-21-10 01:14 PM
    Oh cool! Can I get some of the cash from the 9700 sale?
    06-21-10 01:54 PM
    I will definitely be on the lookout as I travel over the next month! Guess RIM is finally deciding to get in touch with new marketing trends.
    06-21-10 02:50 PM
    can tell which ones are BB as oppossed to other "viral" barcodes. They did a massive one in London years ago with the film "28Weeks Later" all over the place were barcodes, scan them on your phone and be directed to the site. Think all UK newspapers have them.
    06-21-10 03:32 PM
    So, I'm kicking myself for not taking pics of all this stuff!

Here is a shot of the swag we got in the VIP, plus the phone. Its all I have
    Last edited by Mark PPG; 06-21-10 at 04:39 PM.
    06-21-10 04:04 PM
    That is awesome! I want to get one of the Blackberry water bottles like that!

BTW, nice socks.
    06-21-10 04:39 PM
    Man, you guys don't miss anything huh? :-P

The guy who commented on my abandoning my kids and going offwith my wife (on the Crackberry comments page) was awesome!
    06-21-10 04:43 PM
    Amazing story,

I actually found one of these barcodes on a wine bottle - will scan it tonight when home..
    06-21-10 05:01 PM
    Man, you guys don't miss anything huh? :-P

The guy who commented on my abandoning my kids and going offwith my wife (on the Crackberry comments page) was awesome!
    So after your son found the free 9700 barcode did you try adding the pin # to your phone as well to get 2 free 9700 phones?

If not click on the contact info and get the PIN # and try to get a second if that works, hook us up with the PIN so we can get a free phone too

Drootz
    06-21-10 05:31 PM
    Yeah, when I got to the VIP I also added the PIN, but I got a reply saying they WERE giving away free BlackBerry phones, but they had none left. One of the other VIP winners (who I had spoken to outside) also won a 9700!

here are the BBM names (I saved them on my contact list)
    06-21-10 06:03 PM
    Ok, so my son hadn't closed the BBM chat windows on his BB. So I snapped a couple of pics of the messages.
    06-21-10 08:23 PM
    Awesome story! I work a lot of concerts in the North-Eastern US and will definitely be on the lookout for anything that might be similar. I wouldnt be surprised if a tour like Warped Tour or Mayhem Festival or something jumped on the bandwagon and did that in the future..
    06-21-10 09:47 PM
    Does anyone live in San Francisco that's seen a bar code????? I'd love to drive around the Bay Area (preferably San Francsico) and find bar codes?????
    06-21-10 10:54 PM
    Sounds like he opened his BBM and click "Invite Contact" and chose to scan a barcode. That's the only way he could've added these contacts to his BBM and then received messages from them.

You can use the barcode scanner on any of these barcodes through BBM. I scanned a movie poster with the BBM scanner and it opened a website on my phone promoting the movie.

That's interesting too

06-21-10 11:48 PM
    If this is gonna be a long term thing from RIM, somebody should start a twitter that aggregates any postings from all over so BB users can get alerts to what might be in their area..
    06-21-10 11:51 PM
    Man awesome story, this has gotta be hands down one of the baddest promos I've heard about from a company. I've seen those codes a lot lately on numerous items. Im kickin myself in my arse right now for not scannin any. I will definitely not pass another one up, thats for sure.
    06-22-10 01:19 AM
    Sweet story bud! I will have to keep my eyes on the lookout....just need to go to an event I guess, lol!

06-22-10 02:33 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD