I did a quick search and didn't find any thread like this (sorry if I missed it).

Thought it might be a good idea to have some book readers discuss some of their favorites. Offer opinions, suggestions, or questions about all types of books.

No good?
    11-23-08 09:05 PM
    Good call. I'll start -- my favorite novel of all time (I read it at least once every couple of years) is A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving. It's a great read. The central theme seems to me to be one of faith, but the story is compelling, poignant and at times hilarious regardless of what you believe (or don't).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 09:15 PM
    Check out Freakonomics. Very interesting ideas in that one.

11-23-08 10:39 PM
    Catcher in the Ryhe.

11-24-08 12:03 AM
    Hmm, I'd have to say Terry Brooks and his Shanarra series. I was so addicted to it and devoured all the books. I think Elf Stones was my favorite one in the series though.

However, my favorite book right now would have to be...the one I'm writing! Conceited, I know :P But, it's a story I've been putting together for a long time and you're a lot more attached to characters and a story when they're something you've devised yourself

I'm about 20,000 words of the way into it...only 80,000 more or so to go until I'm done.
    11-24-08 02:58 AM
    Everyone should read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, awesome book about child psychology and war... Also for a great love story The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Neffeneger
    11-24-08 07:19 AM
    I'm currently on the last book of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, it's a 7 book series. It's a fantasy/fiction book and obviously King is an amazing writer and storyteller. It has a Lord of the Rings feel to it because of the long continuous journey that takes place throughout the course of the series, where the Gunslinger searched for the tower.

Strike, that's great that you're writing your own book. What's it about?
    11-24-08 07:47 AM
    Well. It's a dark fantasy story. An apprentice blacksmith is kidnapped by a woman and has his soul ripped out of him before being dragged along with her. There's a necromancer with no memories of his past following them and the lord of a castle who undergoes a transformation after dabbling in sorceries he doesn't understand.

All this ties together as the story progresses. It's a first draft so I will be going back later to do edits but I hope to be finished writing it by June of next year.

11-24-08 07:54 AM
    Does anyone like Ann Rice? Ive read her Interview with a Vampire series a couple times ovr now. I cant wait till she releases her LAST Vampire book! she's been on a church kick since her husband died not tooo long ago. So it was nvr gonna b written there for a while, but now she says she still has 1 last storey to tell re: Lestat n the gang! I hope she doesnt take too long to release it! lol gettin impatient....but that new HBO series TrueBlood has been pretty good latley tho...even tho now thtas ovr 4 a bit!
    11-24-08 11:42 AM
    I have read all the Vampire series by Anne Rice and they are good. I am now on a new kick a writer name Xialong. His are about a chinese police officer in Shanghai who has to deal with solving crimes and dealing with the old communist regime. It also deals with the day to day problems of living in China like the housing shortage and the lack of knowledge in the west of chinese culture. A really good read.
    Last edited by bellxx; 11-24-08 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo
    11-24-08 11:57 AM
    I am an avid reader, I have read everything Dean Koontz and Steven King have ever written..

The series that started my love of books was the RedWall series by Brian Jacques. I really need to attempt to collect all of them that I can... I'd love to read them again..
    11-25-08 12:33 AM
    Anything by Laurell K Hamilton is always a good read especially for people who like stories on vampires etc
    11-25-08 02:06 AM
    I just finished reading the Twilight saga. I am wanting to start reading American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis. I also enjoy reading Hunter S. Thompson works.
    11-25-08 08:45 PM
    Ugh, I don't get how people can read Twilight. *slowly backs away*
    11-25-08 10:25 PM
    Wow!! Lots of like-minded readers here! .

VC Andrews got me interested in reading when I was 10yrs old. lol.

Since then have read most all of Stephen King (reading Dumas Key now). I watched 'The Shining' years before, but knew there had to be more to the story - I read the book and was soooo scared. lol

Anyway, one of my favorite novels to date is 'Jewel' by Bret Lott.

11-26-08 12:18 AM
    Vanilla Bright Like Eminem - Michael Faber
    A Bit on The Side - William Trevor
    Cheating At Canasta - William Trevor
    My House in Umbria - William Trevor

Anything by Joseph Heller, Phillip Roth and Douglas Adams.

My favorites are the "Hitchhiker" series and the "Dirk Gently
    Holistic Detective Agency" series by Douglas Adams.

Not much of a fan of the supernatural, or vampires.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-26-08 at 12:34 AM.
    11-26-08 12:28 AM
    Yeah Catch-22 was tough to read though. All the talking in circles kept driving me nuts.

11-26-08 02:23 AM
    OK so I'm hopelessly addicted to trashy romance novels but I have read Stephen King, James Patterson and several others over the years. My current obsession is Sherrilyn Kenyon and her Dark Hunter series. I've read them all and am currently waiting for the most recent one in the mail. I've read about 250 books in the last 3 years and I enjoy every minute of it.

FYI, for those avid readers check out booksfree.com. It's a great website where you rent books. It's like Netflix for books.
    11-26-08 05:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD