I've had it for about 4 months now. I call it the ****berry because...

1) Even with the keypad locked when placed in my pocket it frequently spontaneously dials 911. The 911 operator calls me back and when I say I don't know why my cell dialed 911 she asks "do you have a blackberry?"!

2) The "holster" is poorly designed and easily comes off my belt, requiring me to backtrack and search for the lost ****berry. A simple piece of velcro to secure the bottom of this would fix the problem, but the ****berry engineers aren't even up to that.

3) They want $35/mo. just to give basic text and picture messaging capability which is free for a normal cell phone.

That's why I call it the "****berry" - one of the worst decisions I made in 2008.
    Last edited by JeffH; 11-15-08 at 11:36 PM. Reason: language
    11-15-08 09:35 PM
    DUDE you're in the wrong place to diss a berry
    11-15-08 09:40 PM
    Why don't you go get an iPhone then? You'll fit right in with them.
    11-15-08 09:45 PM
    Why don't you go get an iPhone then? You'll fit right in with them.
    hey that wasnt nice, i had an iphone until att service sucked.

I think that if you have a problem with your blackberry then find a phone that compliments you better instead of complaining about it.
    11-15-08 09:48 PM
    Ok I don't normally get argumenative but I call a boat load of bull ship here. U know the ship that carries bulls to market. I've worked 911 for quite awhile now and never have I said do u have a blackberry for 911 missdialed cell calls. The calls come from all sorts of phone. If every abandoned 911 call came from a blackberry the that would end up being the obly phone ever made. Dude come on. If ur gunna make a story up make it at least a little believeable.
    And for the belt clip I wear a 2in wide duty belt for work and have never lost my phone out of the clip or the clip off my belt.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 09:53 PM
    1) Instead of complaining, have you thought about calling
    customer service and having the phone warranty exchanged.
    Sounds like a defect in your specific unit.

2) Can't address this as I have no idea what holster you are
    talking about

3) The fee you cited is NOT simply for text and MMS, it is for the
    BlackBerry data plan plus whatever you added on for text.

Finally if the phone really makes you this unhappy you are not
    obligated to keep it. Sell it and buy whatever works better for
    you.
    11-15-08 09:55 PM
    Ok I don't normally get argumenative but I call a boat load of bull ship here. U know the ship that carries bulls to market. I've worked 911 for quite awhile now and never have I said do u have a blackberry for 911 missdialed cell calls. The calls come from all sorts of phone. If every abandoned 911 call came from a blackberry the that would end up being the obly phone ever made. Dude come on. If ur gunna make a story up make it at least a little believeable.
    And for the belt clip I wear a 2in wide duty belt for work and have never lost my phone out of the clip or the clip off my belt.

Along the same thought, how does it keep calling 911? Unless you have it on speed dial, and that's a question for another time, I can't see how it could dial 911 once much less many times.

11-15-08 11:25 PM
    The only way it could make emergency calls would be (from a locked screen) by pressing the track ball scrolling down to em.call and confirming. Then it auto dials emergency. Which I have seen crazier stuff happen in pockets but you said you have a belt clip so.... Also cases and clips are usually 3rd party and not really made by rim.

11-16-08 12:01 AM
    if I forget to lock my keys mine calls the last person i texted or called from my phone book but when it just dials in my pocket it is usually all letters and gibberish LOL.
    11-16-08 06:42 AM
    Dude, seriously, it sounds like you're trying your best to hate your BB. Sorry its got a few minor flaws. Its made by humans and isn't perfect. No phone is. Let me say that again, every phone has its quirks.

For the 911 thing why not try putting the phone in stand by mode by holding the mute key on top. Then your mystical pocket gremlin would have to hold mute again to wake it up to errantly dial.

I agree the $35 isn't for text messages, its for email, the internet and all the tea in China. Without that $35, the best parts of the BB wouldn't work.

Life's too short to use things you don't like, and if you really want to hate the BB that much, sell it and get something else with less capability.

11-16-08 07:19 AM
    Mine has never randomly dialed ANYONE. But I've heard some carriers set-up the number 1 key to dial 911 (mine is set to voice mail by default) out of the box. You might check your speed dial list to see if there is a pre-programmed 911 key??

I'm not thrilled with the OEM magnetic leather "sleeve" that comes with my BB, because there is no beltclip on it. I just had to re-train myself to use my pocket.

I can see your frustration, but these are issues that can be overcome if you simply investigate the source(s).

Good Luck and update us when/if you get them resolved.

11-16-08 07:23 AM
    I agree the $35 isn't for text messages, its for email, the internet and all the tea in China. Without that $35, the best parts of the BB wouldn't work.

Wait... you get tea from China with your plan? Good post Sandman
    11-16-08 09:13 AM
    Arrrrgh! China has their fingers in everything!

11-16-08 09:24 AM
    Btw, where can I learn more about how to post different emoti-cons??

11-16-08 09:27 AM
    Wait... you get tea from China with your plan? Good post Sandman
    All the tea from China, not just a little, that's why they didn't offer any with you guys' plans, because its all spoken for. I'm just a good negotiator I suppose. If it makes you feel any better there's probably a bunch of lead in it.

11-16-08 09:48 AM
    1) Instead of complaining, have you thought about calling
    customer service and having the phone warranty exchanged.
    Sounds like a defect in your specific unit.

2) Can't address this as I have no idea what holster you are
    talking about

3) The fee you cited is NOT simply for text and MMS, it is for the
    BlackBerry data plan plus whatever you added on for text.

Finally if the phone really makes you this unhappy you are not
    obligated to keep it. Sell it and buy whatever works better for
    you.
    Since the 911 operator's comments indicated that this is a common problem with BB's, I don't think it is a "defect" -- well it is a defect but it is not a defective phone.

As for the fee's, why should I pay more to do the same thing with the BB than I would pay for any other phone? Sure, if there are features beyond normal phones that I use I can understand it, but all I need is a good phone.

Here's what I need from a phone:

1) best connectivity for voice calls possible
    2) good battery life even while searching for signal
    3) text messaging for those times when voice will not work
    4) picture messaging for sending photos of damaged equipment to my office
    5) at least 3 alarm clocks and a decent calander

everything else is secondary.

I got the BB because the AT&T rep to our company said it had a more powerful transmitter than a normal phone (a lie, as I've found that it is 0.9w just like all the other phones). It cost me $200 extra as compared to the Samsung ruggedized phone which is standard issue. Now, if I want to change it they want me to pay FULL PRICE FOR THE REPLACEMENT PHONE!

So I'm kinda pissed off as this thing does not do even as good a job of BEING A PHONE as my Razor, which was a rather crappy phone too.

Both are made by Motorola. I should have known better. Motorola makes poorly engineered equipment. I'll probably bite the bullet and get a Samsung a767, which should have been free but will now cost me ANOTHER $200-300 or so (that's $400-500 the crapberry's cost me now!).
    11-16-08 11:50 AM
    The Emergency Call feature isn't a "problem". I know I could trigger a call with my old 7290, but I seem to recall most (if not all) phones out there have a preprogrammed key that is supposed to dial an emergency number that doesn't get overridden by a keylock. It's more a safety feature than anything else.

Regarding the fees and what phone you got - unfortunately, you bought into the sales pitch from the rep. Hindsight is 20/20, but with any purchases, consumers like you and us on here have to do some legwork in finding out more and getting all the facts before making a decision. I can't help to think you got a BB for other trivial things like status or coworker evny, aside from "just" a more powerful transmitter. Is having a more powerful transmitter worth the $200? Were you forced in getting the BB? The Samsung your peers use apparently has no issues and they can (probably) get the same work done with that device, so why did you break ranks?

As for replacing your phone and having to pay retail price for a new phone now, well, that's probably part of the contract you signed for x-years. That should be in the small print of your cellular contract. Getting a cell phone at a cheaper price means you usually have to sign with a carrier for a period of time using a particular device on file. If you find you don't like the phone, you either wait it out, or pay retail price for a new phone.

I understand and sympathize with your rant, but I apologize for just categorizing this thread as the result of a poorly made decision. Take this as a learning experience and move forward.
    11-16-08 12:33 PM
    I had a great snappy comeback and put down, but I realized that's not really a CrackBerry thing to do. Sorry you're unhappy with your device. Call retentions and see if they can get you something with which you'll be satisfied. I have a feeling, though, that you won't be satisfied with what ever you get.

11-16-08 01:04 PM
    Since the 911 operator's comments indicated that this is a common problem with BB's, I don't think it is a "defect" -- well it is a defect but it is not a defective phone.

As for the fee's, why should I pay more to do the same thing with the BB than I would pay for any other phone? Sure, if there are features beyond normal phones that I use I can understand it, but all I need is a good phone.

Here's what I need from a phone:

1) best connectivity for voice calls possible
    2) good battery life even while searching for signal
    3) text messaging for those times when voice will not work
    4) picture messaging for sending photos of damaged equipment to my office
    5) at least 3 alarm clocks and a decent calander

everything else is secondary.
    Well then the BB is definitely overkill for your use, and I'm surprised your company allowed you to get one as a result of that.

I got the BB because the AT&T rep to our company said it had a more powerful transmitter than a normal phone (a lie, as I've found that it is 0.9w just like all the other phones). It cost me $200 extra as compared to the Samsung ruggedized phone which is standard issue. Now, if I want to change it they want me to pay FULL PRICE FOR THE REPLACEMENT PHONE!
    You should have done your research into transmitter power, FCC SAR requirements, and everything else like that. Or asked around on the internet first. You should know better than believing a salesman who may or may not be working on commission.

So I'm kinda pissed off as this thing does not do even as good a job of BEING A PHONE as my Razor, which was a rather crappy phone too.

Both are made by Motorola. I should have known better. Motorola makes poorly engineered equipment. I'll probably bite the bullet and get a Samsung a767, which should have been free but will now cost me ANOTHER $200-300 or so (that's $400-500 the crapberry's cost me now!).
    My BB completely smokes the RAZR and V385 Motorola phones my sis and her husband have. As in getting a decently strong signal and being able to place/receive calls, and send data when theirs won't even work to send/receive.

I guess in closing, I'll just say you learned a valuable lesson. Do your research and don't buy a device with features you don't want or need, especially if it costs extra to use them.
    11-16-08 01:20 PM
    So you just mad because the salesman did his job and up sold you 2 a more expensive phone well try eBay AT&T phones are all over the place

11-16-08 01:52 PM
    maybe if that person didn't wear such tight pants to squeeze his nards, I mean his berry, he wouldn't have that problem... plus his head is up his az too, makes them extra tight.
    11-17-08 06:42 PM
    Where can I learn how to make more emoticons???

11-17-08 06:57 PM
    To randomly dial 911 is um.. pretty difficult if your keypad is locked.

35 dollars for just texts seems pretty high. I don't know what other carriers charge (I'm on T-mobile) but that sounds like a data plan and a text plan together.

Buy a new holster. I did.

Blackberrys aren't for everyone.
    11-18-08 01:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD