You have a big heart BK, the world is a better place because of people like you. You are a true fighter, congrats to you man...
    05-07-09 02:50 PM
    You have a big heart BK, the world is a better place because of people like you. You are a true fighter, congrats to you man...
    Thank you SD, it's definitely a crazy ol' world sometimes. Hope this day finds you doing well!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-09 03:19 PM
    I'm sorry you had to go through all that. The future will continue to hold positives for you.

I actually just found out I need radioactive iodine treatment (like one big burst of chemo). I was lucky-diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and a month or so later, had the thyroid removed. The big guy was only 1.1cm, but it was multi-focal, so the residual thyroid tissue needs to be erradicated. I'm facing the decision of leaving it alone and doing the annual scans and hoping for the best, or taking the radioactive treatment and dealing with the side effects and possible risks.

But it could always be worse, for you or me or anyone with any kind of cancer. They could have not found anything until it was too late, is how I always look at it.
    Bless you, and may the rest of your life work out the way you hoped.

05-07-09 06:58 PM
    Thank you SD, it's definitely a crazy ol' world sometimes. Hope this day finds you doing well!
    Thanks, I am doing well today. Take care and see you on the boards...
    05-07-09 07:05 PM
    I'm sorry you had to go through all that. The future will continue to hold positives for you.

I actually just found out I need radioactive iodine treatment (like one big burst of chemo). I was lucky-diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and a month or so later, had the thyroid removed. The big guy was only 1.1cm, but it was multi-focal, so the residual thyroid tissue needs to be erradicated. I'm facing the decision of leaving it alone and doing the annual scans and hoping for the best, or taking the radioactive treatment and dealing with the side effects and possible risks.

But it could always be worse, for you or me or anyone with any kind of cancer. They could have not found anything until it was too late, is how I always look at it.
    Bless you, and may the rest of your life work out the way you hoped.

Nothing to be sorry for, SK. The experience changed me, and I'm certainly a lot better off now than I was then.
    That's why I was quick to step in and give you encouragement when I saw your thread. If you need a sympathetic ear, feel free to PM me, my schedule flows, and I've always answered the call when needed.

05-07-09 07:41 PM
    What an amazing and inspiring story.
    I wish you and your daughter all the happiness in the world. things like this need to make people appreciate all that they have.
    Sam
    05-08-09 09:24 AM
    Thank you, Sammy. She's doing well, gonna be taking a trip down the aisle next year.

05-11-09 10:59 AM
    BK -- YOU are a hero to any/everyone that has experienced THE BIG C. Congrats on your milestone and best wishes to your new family.

* you are amazing!
    BergerKing likes this.
    05-11-09 04:11 PM
    BK -- YOU are a hero to any/everyone that has experienced THE BIG C. Congrats on your milestone and best wishes to your new family.

* you are amazing!
    Thank you, Java! It has been quite a trip, and the ensuing 10 years has been a rewarding ride. Every day is a gift, and within CrackBerry, I have been able to touch lives as never before.

05-11-09 06:50 PM
    Today's date is symbolic of new beginnings and fresh starts. It seems to me very appropriate to revisit your story on New Years Day.

It's inspiring to read how you fought, survived and flourished.
    You planted your feet, and stood up to one of the blackest, most ominous stormclouds in existence.

Your reward has been to see a rainbow and the ray of light that powers it everyday. Speaking as a small 'o' optimist, stories like yours encourage me.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-01-10 11:26 AM
    Thanks, Brian. It was just a few days after New Year's 1999 that I found out how sick I was. So the 11th year point is fast approaching. Amazing how the time flies!

01-01-10 12:35 PM
    God bless you! . I will keep you in my prayers. My mom is a breast cancer survivor, so I totally understand.

BergerKing likes this.
    04-14-10 09:46 PM
    I've never been very good at showing a soft side, but you're definitely a warrior BK and you are in my prayers buddy...and if I was there right now, I'd give ya a big ol' hug.
    BergerKing likes this.
    04-16-10 12:47 PM
    Thank you, Laura, Jason. As tough as all of it was, it made my life better. And don't fret about being hard to show emotion, I was there once. But, don't overdo it.
    04-16-10 02:09 PM
    Strange that I am months behind on a few things, and taking a little time to revisit the story.

As fate would have it, the hospital I spent most of this adventure in was ravaged by the Joplin tornado last year. It is chilling to see a place that left such an indelible mark on your life in such a state. But, as I hear, they are busy getting everything back in shape once more.

This month marks 13 years of survival. We have two children left in the home now. Two of our kids, the oldest, are married, and combined have inherited and blessed us with seven grandkids.

The youngest daughter graduates from Air Force basic training the 20th of this month. She intends to follow a course into medicine, her ultimate goal is to become a doctor.

Each day of these last 13 years has been a gift. Even the worst days are still good ones. We've seen ups and downs, joys and pains, but as long as light becomes darkness, the sunrise will be a most welcome sight once more.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 01-18-12 at 09:49 AM.
    JustPlainJef likes this.
    01-17-12 10:53 PM
    There are absolutely no words that I can convey what hasn't already been said; After reading your story, I am left with a plethora of mixed emotions and a sense of respect, reverence, exceptional beauty, as well as great fear. I will have you in my prayers. God Bless.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-18-12 08:00 AM
    BergerKing,
    I wish you and your family all the best in the world; you went through ! Enjoy what you have and I'll keep you in our prayers!
    All the best!!
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-18-12 09:33 AM
    Thanks, guys. I revisit to post the news that demolition of St. John's began just a few days after I revisited the thread.

On January 29th, demolition began on the old hospital, and ground was broken for its replacement, just 3 miles away.

The demo is taking place using a wrecking ball, because Joplin is built over old lead mines and they don't wanna blow it down with an implosion.

Mercy News
    02-05-12 11:24 PM
    BergerKing,
    I just read your story, and like many others, I'm in bathed in mixed emotions. Tears rolling down my face, I scream at the unjustness of it all. My arm shoots up in the air, fist balled tight, as each victory is recorded in words...

My mother in law just went through 2 surgerys for breast cancer. The second biopsy came back like the first... there's more. Fortunately, it's a very slow growing cancer, and non-life threatening. Her doctor isn't willing to do a third surgery. She's 82 years old, headed out on a 30 day cruise and trying to put it behind her.

My sister in law just passed her 6 year mark, but the uncle and grandfather didn't have the same story.

For you, I'm heavy hearted that you had to endure all that, but light hearted you came out of it so well. Your extraordinary recovery, your strong will, your determination to not be a victim, your successes because of it. I'm so in awe, words fail me...

For me, I'm so encouraged by your story. It makes my tiny little problems seem so insignificant. It makes me appreciate, even more, my life, my friends and family, and even my challenges. Though I've had an incredibly hard life (tha't a huge understatement, but this isn't my story so I'll just stop there), I've never had to go though anything like yours. Still, pain is pain and hardship is hardship. It's not a contest, but I learned to lean on a mantra as well and mine goes like this, "I didn't get through all that so I could fall apart now".

Thank you so very much for sharing your story, your life, and your deepest recesses of strength with us. I know so many of us are wishing you well, praying for your complete and steady recovery as soon as possible. It couldn't have been easy sharing all that (and you did it from your phone?? holy moly!!). My stomach is still turning over, unsettled from just reading about it.

My heart goes out to each and every one of you that are battling this dreaded disease in any form, whether your yourself or a loved one is going though it.

And I'm grateful to Crackberry to have a safe place to share our lives, thoughts, feelings, worries, fears, successes, joys, and any other emotions we need to share.
    Last edited by cntrydncr223; 02-06-12 at 11:36 AM.
    kbz1960 and BergerKing like this.
    02-06-12 11:33 AM
    SO glad you bumped this story it was great reading it again. Sadly since I last posted in this thread, my Aunt passed away. HOWEVER she got several more years, and leaves, a thriving family behind, including a grand daughter she might not have even know had she not survived the first bout of cancer.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-06-12 12:01 PM
    SO glad you bumped this story it was great reading it again. Sadly since I last posted in this thread, my Aunt passed away. HOWEVER she got several more years, and leaves, a thriving family behind, including a grand daughter she might not have even know had she not survived the first bout of cancer.
    I am so sorry for your loss...
    pkcable likes this.
    02-06-12 12:44 PM
    I've never seen this thread.

Keep up the good fight BK.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-07-12 12:07 AM
    This needs to be bumped periodically.

Jim - I'm in awe of your strength,

Best of the world to you.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-15-12 10:12 AM
    We'll, here we are, 14 years later. I'm back to regular posting again, having taken much of 2012 off. Down to one kid at home, who will graduate from High School this year. Where it takes him, who knows, at this point. Daughter number three is getting married in October, with a ready made pair increasing the grandchild count to nine. Daughter number four is serving as an Airman in Japan, first of the bunch that went in the military. The last year has been one of many trials, but always looking forward from the point where this story began.

Thanks to all of those who have read this thread and made comments. Cancer can be an intensely personal matter, and it changes us all, to some degree. We've seen at least one other member, alnamvet, announce his diagnoses and battle with the Big C, but it has been a while. I hope he is doing well. Thanks again, everyone!
    02-26-13 02:44 AM
    You are an amazing man. Thanks for sharing your journey. Glad you're back on crackberry.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-26-13 08:00 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD