06-08-14 09:45 AM
27 12
tools
    Hello my fellow crackberrians... even when this thread isn't about BB, i decided to ask for your opinion about laptops since i think people here have a good sense of what's important when comes to "job be done"... i have owned toshiba laptops my whole life, and i like the brand... i have had satellites and tecras models... now, my current tecra is ready to be replaced and i am in the market for a new laptop... i have seen a satellite P50 with graphics processor that i like... however, i was wondering since i have used the same brand for some many years, what options people here can recommend regarding performance/design/quality in their experience... for instance, i saw a dell 3800 workstation that looks amazing... i don't mind paying extra bucks now since i use my laptop a lot, i take good care of my devices and they stay with me many years (for instance, my current tecra was a top-of-the-line laptop when i got it, and now over 5 years later still with me working pretty well)... anyway, please fire up with some suggestions or your personal recommendations... much appreciate in advance for the comments
    05-29-14 07:22 PM
    Asus

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 07:24 PM
    Several companies have reputations for making good quality hardware and standing behind their products. They generally have a product line aimed at certain price points so that at the lowest point you get workable but not top components and features. If you have had good results from Toshiba you might want to check their line. Most of all you would want to be sure that the latest processors are used. Intel seems to be upgrading their line so you might want to wait until fall before making a decision. In the meantime keep your media content on your computer backed up frequently as hard drives on laptops over 5 years old can fail without notice as I am sure you know.
    05-29-14 08:29 PM
    Dells are pretty reliable and affordable.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 08:35 PM
    05-29-14 08:38 PM
    .... your personal recommendations... much appreciate in advance for the comments
    Whatever brand or model you choose, go for an all SSD laptop, NO harddrive! a 512GB SSD should be more than sufficient for most real work, -
    and no less than 8GB of RAM,

One of the first trouble points on a laptop, is the harddrive. Mechanical parts don't like to be moved, kicked, - or in any way disturbed. Even small movements of the table where the laptop sits, - can be damaging and have you loose it all...

It can also be a good idea to opt for a model Without any built-in CD/DVD drive. Less parts that gets moved around, more robust case, usually better battery life. If you still need a DVD drive, go for a external USB version.

If potential sales value of the laptop 3-4-5 years from now is an issue, MacBook PRO's seems to keep their value longest, but - is also the more expensive to purchase in the first place. :-)
    05-29-14 09:10 PM
    I'm not sure about Asus. I had to replace mine once. I am used to Dell computers, but I needed a multimedia powerhouse laptop for my job (Html Designer). My wish is to get a Mac book or Mac book Pro.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-29-14 09:21 PM
    thanks for the replies so far... let's see, the only brand i am reluctant to get would be apple... to me, their products are way over prized and since i have used windows my entire life, i am happy staying on the dark side (windows)... regarding the hard drive and moving parts, that's a good point... actually, the only thing i needed to replace in this 5 years was my hard drive... does anyone have experience with hybrid? on the other hand, checking specifications, toshiba seems to use a better processor when comparing to the same laptop category with dell... so far, those two brands are the ones that i am considering... i don't know about waiting until fall, i need the computer soon and in technology there is always something new and better months later... now, if you have the information that a new and improved line of intel processor will be released, then that would be something to consider...
    Last edited by gallopiton; 05-29-14 at 10:17 PM.
    05-29-14 09:56 PM
    I wouldn't get anything without an i7 processor and a good NVIDIA GeForce video card.
    I own a Dell Studio XPS 1645 which has been a solid machine.

My recommendations:
    Dell Alienware or XPS
    MacBook Pro

I find Apple to be overpriced also but still a good choice and I own 2 of them also. I find Mac and Windows both good but just work differently and I wouldn't knock either one down.

I would also look into the Microsoft Surface Pro 3, I have only read a couple articles on it and it did get some good reviews.
    Last edited by ninetto; 05-29-14 at 10:34 PM.
    05-29-14 10:06 PM
    I wouldn't get anything without an i7 processor and a good NVIDIA GeForce video card.

My recomendations:
    Dell Alienware or XPS
    MacBook Pro
    yes, no question about it... the processor i am looking at are the i7-4700mq at least (better than the dell option 4702mq which is not upgradable)... regarding ram, in general all laptops are upgradable to 16gb, but i am also considering the ones upgradable to 32gb...is there someone here who has used both the toshiba satellite p50 or tecra w50, and also the dell models?
    05-29-14 10:14 PM
    Any workstation is absolutely enjoyable. Lenovo used to be king but now dells and even Asus have encroached on their territory. Always look for used enterprise equipment. It is regularly the best. I am sporting a 2008 Lenovo t61p with lots of crazy updates a 1920x1200 screen, an x9000 core 2 duo extreme, USB 3.0 express card and dual band qualcomm WiFi card. I have also pushed it to the limit and use the non supported 8GB of ram. The fx570m onboard video can still handle blue ray encodes and even some H10bit. It runs windows 8.1 without a glitch and qe/Cl acceleration on my OSX mavericks partition. Point being always choose enterprise.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    05-30-14 09:37 AM
    [QUOTE=gallopiton;10410129... regarding the hard drive and moving parts, that's a good point... actually, the only thing i needed to replace in this 5 years was my hard drive... does anyone have experience with hybrid? ..[/QUOTE]

no no no - NO Hybrid. They are also mechanical - pure clean SSD - and make sure the Laptop can nativly support SSD, - not a "hobby" upgraded where a internet DVD drive is replaced with SSD or anything.

Yes - SSD cost a bit - but in the long run you won't regret it. No more worries if someone kicks the table where your laptop rests... or when you place the Laptop on your .. lap .. no more worries when you don't sit completely still :-)

SSD don't replace the need for backups, but will give you a much better overall stable machine, less heat, less battery drain, ... quick startup/boot,

About Apple- you might say they are overpriced, BUT - IF the laptop is to be used for business, and not only web surfing and gaming, - A $3000 MacBook Pro Retina - have almost same value after 3 years. Compare to a high-end $2100 HP laptop - which you might could get $1000 after 3 years... if you are lucky...

All brands has good, and bad models,

"You get what you pay for" - it is very true for laptops.

Look at some of the budget models- sold with 4GB of memory... "can be upgraded to 8" they might say,... but don't tell you that you would have to Replace ALL the memory when you choose to do so.. can't just "add" 4GB ...

Battery - most specification is overrated by at least 30-40%.

Some laptops has 2 graphic cards, one main that is nice on battery and more than sufficient for most work, and one high-end card that only starts up when more graphical power is needed. This can help extend the battery life by a mile...

Some laptops has *terrible* keyboards, Not good to be used for a whole day with pogramming/typing, but perhaps Perfect for a gamer.. (Why a gamer would want a laptop beats me, but they do exist)

Also look for where the laptop has its air vents. Are they directly under it, on the back, on the sides, on top ... If they are under - things will get hot hot hot - and if laptop placed on table-cloth, lap, sheet, - can easily kill the laptop.

Processor; Bigger is not always better. It all depends on the use. i5 vs i7, 2 core vs 4 vs 8, 2-5GHz vs 3GHz ...
    Using SSD can sometimes give the impression of having a much faster Laptop than the same with harddrive. Also - more GHz usually means more battery drain.

Best advice I can give- is to TRY different laptops, with the configuration that you want, with the apps that YOU will be using, - and see for yourself. :-) Don't get lost in all the specifications and numbers- they don't always tell the whole story - A Laptop that is perfect for some, can be a nightmare for others.
    05-30-14 10:21 AM
    sorry i haven't replied today, busy day... anyway, let's see.. i have never thought about buying an used laptop... but could be a good option if you are sure that the source is reliable... good point about an apple product keeping its value over time... but the two or three times i have used one, i just didn't like it... maybe it's just me... i put my eye in a couple of workstations (dell and toshiba)... both use the i7-4800mq processor which is more than capable... and both could be upgraded to 32gb in ram, that's a plus... however, neither have a touchscreen... actually, i saw a dell precision m4800 at an incredible good price but the fact that i am missing a touchscreen makes me hesitate... i can get a m3800 model with up to 16gb in ram with touchscreen, but i am undecided between touchscreen + up to 16 gb ram, or regular screen + up to 32 gb in ram (plus great processor, nvidia graphics card, ssd etc)... i have seen about the same with toshiba but more expensive... i cannot complain about toshiba quality, but i have never used a dell... and that's my other point, it would be great to try them out by myself, but there is no place in my area (Atlanta) where i can see and touch a workstation from both toshiba and dell... you can try in some stores some other models from these two brands, but not the workstation line... if anyone knows where i can see them, please tell me
    05-30-14 10:00 PM

My recommendations:
    Dell Alienware or XPS
    MacBook Pro

I find Apple to be overpriced also but still a good choice and I own 2 of them also. I find Mac and Windows both good but just work differently and I wouldn't knock either one down.

I would also look into the Microsoft Surface Pro 3, I have only read a couple articles on it and it did get some good reviews.
    I wish I had known about the hard rive before I bought THIS asus. I can't replace it and put in a different one as it is built internally.

I had a Dell XPS 1580 (I think) for 4 years and then it kept crashing and went into a continuous restart loop. I couldn't deal with that as I was in school at the time going for my Bachelor's of Science degree in Multimedia Design and Development.

This Asus sometimes does not load the boot up screen it stays blank for a few seconds. This Asus warranty ends in August but I'm saving up money so I can eventually get a Mac book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-30-14 11:20 PM
    I know you are avoiding Apple but they make the best laptops. In the last 12 Years I've had 4 Dells, 3 HPs, 1 Toshiba, and 2 Macbook Pro's. The Macbooks are by far the best, but I haven't actually had to pay for mine, my employers have.
    05-30-14 11:29 PM
    hahaha... tell them to send me one mac to test it carefully... but you seem to be the person i can ask about quality between dell and toshiba... which toshiba, and which dells did you use? i have heard bad comments from hps laptops

I know you are avoiding Apple but they make the best laptops. In the last 12 Years I've had 4 Dells, 3 HPs, 1 Toshiba, and 2 Macbook Pro's. The Macbooks are by far the best, but I haven't actually had to pay for mine, my employers have.
    05-30-14 11:35 PM
    I'd say at least i5 core laptops. I have a Samsung i5 core laptop and it was a beast. Till the charger that came with it wasn't proper OEM charger so it screwed my charging port pins in the inside.

Apple laptops are great but they are too over priced to even be considered of buying, to me at least.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 11:38 PM
    I'm a fan of Asus. Forget Apple laptops... unless you like to spend more.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    05-31-14 01:54 AM
    The Lenovo y510p is a beast! https://m.lenovo.com/us/en/

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    05-31-14 02:00 AM
    @Dave - not going to start a war here - but words like "forget Apple" etc.. is not much help for someone who might really need it...

I am not an Apple fan in any way, BUT- when it comes to Mac- well - there are times you just have to take a bow and admit that certain products are more "pro" than others.

Of course they cost- but the old belief that a MacBook cost so much more than other options - not so correct anymore.
    My HP cost just as much as one of the Macbooks, but battery last Max 3 hours, compared to 5-6 hours on the Macbook Pro.

Because of my work, I have to use different machines, Asus, HP - and Mac - and they are all different beasts that cannot directly compare to each other, but they fill different gaps.

Asus and HP can somehow be compared, but - not quite. It all depends on the work you need to use them for. The driver support are quite different on them.

Mac- IF you want to do any App development for iOS/OSX - you must use a Mac... yea - shady options does exist to have apps signed elsewhere etc... but - having full access to tools and options - you Must use a Mac.. no ways around it.

A Macbook Pro can also run Windows and Linux if you choose to do so - and most programs will run as good as they do on other laptops (Except from Macbook Air which suffers from some weird Windows issues)

We usually keep our laptops for 2-3 years before replacing them, and - sorry to say - but the MacBook Pro's really keeps their value good - so by selling them- it's not so expensive to update to a more recent model.

Service & Support is another issue. Apple's Apple Care is debated up and down- and cost you $250-350, but- you do get instant help - even if the whole laptop has to be shipped to them to fix, regardless of where you live. Asus & HP are more difficult - it all depends on the local availability (at least that is our experience)

Even the best "top" models from HP has bad build issues, such as placement of components - depending on how you hold the laptop- you might have it reboot by itself, freeze and lock up etc... Also the connections inside are not very good - even on the $2000+ models.

In the end- it does not matter which brand or model you choose, or which digits are on the CPU- It all boils down to What you are going to use it for, How you want to use it, What accessories you need- and How reliable you need it, and how you can deal with service.
    05-31-14 11:02 AM
    I just bought the Lenovo w540 with 2.9 i7 16 gb ram, 256gb ssd with opal encryption, 3k screen, nvidia quarto k2200m. Am really liking this machine thus far. The 3 K screen on a 15.5inch is stellar. Color sensor for optimum display conditions

I also have made use of the finger print scanner at boot. It will log me into windows automatically. I also have the ssd encrypted with true crypt.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 11:08 AM
    I defiantly think Apple is the best and always will be! The mac is amazing

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 11:19 AM
    Thanks for all the comments... I will need to check the lenovos out... and I am sure apple have great products, but they are not for me... I appreciate the recommendation though, and I will check them out as well just to see if I like it...

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 02:43 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    +1 for ASUS,
    usually good thermals
    ASUS world's largest MoBo manufacturer

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/h...les/66374.aspx

The mobo really is the most critical and expensive part to replace in a laptop, in fact (in my experience) it can be about 80% of its replacement value, depending on the laptop's age, if you factor in labour.

Have seen dozens of Toshibas with bad capacitors = failing motherboard (just search for "NEC/Tokin Toshiba random shutdown" etc. )

HP often failing graphics chip that's needs reflow / reballing after some time

Your mileage may vary

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    06-08-14 06:50 AM
    Asus vivobooks are a great line of computers
    06-08-14 07:48 AM
27 12