I am currently in the market for a secure phone and or tablet for managing social media for our projects.
    The phone I currently use for this purpose is a samsung galaxy a7, which I just bought because it had a big screen and was sensibly priced. My understanding is that the OS and hardware on the a7 is far from ideal.
    The problem is that I risk too much by not using a secure phone and as the company grows these risks grow too.
    I've been told that the current ios version is quite capable of holding its own against cyber attacks. How does it compare with the blackberry android devices?
    In addition to being secure it would be nice if the phone had a larger screen and some standards regarding build quality.
    04-23-17 06:03 AM
    Apple has larger phones with nice screens. BlackBerry provides hardening, but I would imagine that social media hacking is do more to poor passwords and not infiltration of a device.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 06:14 AM
    Yeah if the phone secure but the connection not secure that would be problem too
    04-23-17 06:25 AM
    I would look a few phones for security. The iPhone (and the Plus model), Google Pixel (and the XL model), and current BlackBerry Android models because these tend to get the best security patching. Now since the OS's are different, there are different kinds of risk you'll need to be aware of. Some methods of attack on Android aren't on iOS, etc.

(and then there's some more advanced solutions but you probably don't need them, and if you do you probably have an IT department on it.)

Now, those are but one piece of the security puzzle. You also want to make sure communications are secure when data leaves your handset so a VPN, preferably company controlled if it's a large one, is best when out in the field.

Your A7 may even be competent in the short term if it has a reasonably current security patch level but I wouldn't be confident.
    04-23-17 03:16 PM
    Making sure the user is secure is a good start. Anyway, some of these have been mentioned already, but:
    • Keeping your apps and OS updated, especially security updates
    • Being smart with which apps you use, and where you get them from
    • Beware of Greeks bearing free WiFi
    • Good passwords
    • Multiple factor authentication
    • If messaging between team members is needed use a sensible messaging app (Signal, Telegram)
    • A good VPN if you're worried about everything between your phone and the Internet at large

Were I to pick any phone, I'd pick the Pixel XL, but good luck finding one.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-23-17 08:35 PM
    Thanks for all the answers. Learned a lot about security and honestly feel a lot better knowing that I wasn't risking it that much.
    I've got the team using protected BBM for communication.
    I've found an official dealer of Google pixels and he told me that a new pixel was supposed to go on shelves this year, however there are no details when and how much better it will be in comparison to the old one.
    04-24-17 02:24 AM