I am looking for another behicle that is 4WD or AWD since I have a little sports car and its a hike to work and I'm going to need something for the winter since my car sucks in the snow. I will be trading my car in but I want to know what I should look at that is semi good on gas. Your opinions will be much appreciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-08 02:05 PM
    PROBLEM SOLVED:

06-04-08 02:33 PM
    Might want to look at an Audi if it's in your price range.

Alternately, Subaru makes very nice AWD cars for the price.

If you're looking at trucks / SUVs, might want to look at Land Rovers or the Honda Pilot, it has gotten amazing reviews.
    06-04-08 02:43 PM
    I think awd vehicles consume more gas... ... i mean... im not positive, im just using logic... When you have a 4wd drive vehicle and the 4wd is engaged it uses more gas to operate the vehicle... so if you have awd wouldnt it be 4wd all the time? thus lowering the gas milage all the time? I mean Id still rather go with awd, that way you dont have to worry about putting it in 4wd and taking it out...
    06-04-08 02:58 PM
    I have an Audi A4 wagon with quattro. It has a fuel effeciency guage and on my trips home from work in LA traffic I can average around 30 mpg.

A side note: I would look into Hypermiling as well, if you haven't heard of it, it's a use of different techniques to save gas, some crazy some good. There was a story on CNN's website you can watch.

06-04-08 03:00 PM
    PROBLEM SOLVED:
    Are you filling a void of some kind?? BTW---nice rims
    06-04-08 03:02 PM
    I was thinking a subaru wrx or a legacy. I'm a big fan of the legacy's. Does anyone know the gas mileage they get?

06-04-08 04:05 PM
    I would say get a legacy,forester, or tribeca. I have a wrx STI. I love it. Sooooo fast, but sooooo horrible in gas.

06-04-08 04:12 PM
    Rav4 be toyota

06-04-08 05:09 PM
    Subaru's generally get between 18-20 mpg city and 20-25 mpg highway, EPA estimated. Most AWD vehicles will be in this ballpark
    06-04-08 05:22 PM
    Got me a Honda Element...great gas mileage, cargo space, and ride...real time AWD (EX models only) DOHC VTEC engine...runs on 93 octaine...but you can get mid or low grade if ya want and pour some booster in there...

06-04-08 05:49 PM
    The sti's are really that bad on gas? Doesn't the legacy have the same boxter engine in it?

06-04-08 08:46 PM
    Get an escape hybrid, they are great on gas, and awd or 4wd available

Also, you can get an e85 GM vehicle, you can get a burban, tahoe, or a few others.
    06-04-08 09:26 PM
    The STI's are turbocharged and built to drive fast... they're the bad boys of Subaru's lineup. The STI adds horsepower, differential settings, stiffer springs, larger wheels, etc. Very similar to the Lancer Evo. in theory
    06-05-08 12:55 AM
    I would think the sti should still get like 20 mpg... i mean... i drove a supercharged cobalt and i still got close to 30... i know their is quiet a power difference... my cobalt had around 255... the sti is more like 300....
    06-05-08 01:09 AM
    You also have to remember how the average consumer drives their STI... like a pissed off teenager. That's just how it's supposed to be driven, and many comply. Why do you think the highest car insurance rates are given to drivers of Lancer Evolutions and Subaru STIs?

If driven sanely, I'm sure it could achieve a 20 mpg rating, but it would really be a waste if you ask me.
    06-05-08 01:59 AM
    I hear you there... i never drove the speed limit in my cobalt.. the best i could get out of it was 13.6 quarter mile.. not too bad for a 4 cyclinder. fastest i ever went was 146

however the sti is a lot more powerful, so itll use more gas.
    06-05-08 02:04 AM
    I had a Subaru Legacy GT Limited Edition for about a year. I averaged 28mpg with about 50/50 city/highway. It was the one of the best rides I've ever had and cornered like it was on rails. In the Subies, like many AWDs, you are running in 2wd almost always. The AWD only kicks in when it senses a traction loss at one or more of the corners. This car was great in the snow and ice until it was deep enough to plow with the front spoiler. Only reason I sold it was because it was a salvage vehicle and had more than it's share of timing belt failures.
    06-05-08 07:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD