He said they made him feel unwelcome in the store. I say some retribution is in order.
    07-05-12 01:32 PM
    What exactly is the op actually complaining about? How dare a sales clerk give an opinion that the op personally doesn't agree with?? What is best buy supposed to do? Tell sales clerks not to give personal opinions?
    If I walk into a bar and I ask for a Guiness thats what i expect, not a suggestion for a glass of wine.
    07-05-12 01:38 PM
    The guy calling to take food from a store employees brats mouths is telling me to chill? That's rich.

I'm sure he 'felt uncomfortable'. An employee gives an opinion and he feels unwelcome in a store. Uh huh. That's a totally reasonable response.

Also, you don't know people's families on this board so I recommend you refrain from telling people to take their meds. You have the compassion of a cockroach so I doubt you care, though.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    I'd double the cost of your meds. I hope things aren't looking up for you.
    07-05-12 01:47 PM
    I'd double the cost of your meds. I hope things aren't looking up for you.
    Wow.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    07-05-12 01:51 PM
    Ok, cleaned up the thread a bit and relocated it. HOWEVER, if you insist on continuing to insult each other I will be forced to close it. If you think you can debate intelligently we'll give it another shot.
    07-05-12 01:52 PM
    Most of the comments here missed the whole point I was trying to make. A Blackberry ad on the Radio directs people to Best Buy. BUT, Best Buy is recommending NOT to buy the product.

To run such an ad, Blackberry has an agreement in place with Best Buy. Best Buy is clearly in breach of that agreement. Rim could/should take action. Will they?
    Sucks for RIM. But how would that conversation with Best Buy go? We're going to pull advertising for our phones that don't sell very well if your salespeople don't like us more? RIM really has bigger problems than BestBuy or recommendations from any retail salesperson. They don't have phones that are competitive in the market, and won't have them for another 6-9 months.
    07-05-12 02:07 PM
    If I walk into a bar and I ask for a Guiness thats what i expect, not a suggestion for a glass of wine.
    Not a good example try...you ask for a Guiness and the bar tender recommends a Creemore. Would you be so outraged you'd want him fired. Really?
    07-05-12 02:08 PM
    Not a good example try...you ask for a Guiness and the bar tender recommends a Creemore. Would you be so outraged you'd want him fired. Really?
    Yes, if Guiness just announced they have to let 5000 go.

What's Creemore lol

Edit if he pays for it he can keep his job lol
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 07-05-12 at 02:17 PM.
    07-05-12 02:14 PM
    Err... Don't speak for me, and don't paint all with your biased brush thanks. I find out what the customer wants to use it for and recommend accordingly. I do not want to sell the wrong phone to the wrong person. I will forgo a bonus if it means I won't have to constantly deal with the headache of a frustrated customer.
    You sound like the kind of salesman I'd like. I went to verizon to look at a 9930 and the salesman immediately said "O, you don't want that" . . . and I felt like saying "how do you know what I want/need, you didn't bother to ask?" I don't mind a salesman recommending something else as long as they take the time to first understand what I'm looking for.
    07-05-12 02:16 PM
    Yes, if Guiness just announced they have to let 5000 go.

What's Creemore lol

Edit if he pays for it he can keep his job lol
    I'm afraid to recommend Creemore to you. I need my job. Lol
    07-05-12 02:18 PM
    Maybe I'm getting this wrong but isn't a customer that knows what he wants a salesman's dream? Quick sale and move on to the next one? I bet this only happens in phone shops.
    07-05-12 02:30 PM
    I'm afraid to recommend Creemore to you. I need my job. Lol
    A pint of the Irish finest please sir, how about a pint of Creemore, smack!!!!
    07-05-12 02:32 PM
    Stopped by the local bestbuy here. PB on display but stuck on the bbID screen. Was told they have one but only the RIM rep knows it and they won't be buy for awhile. At least they have them lol.
    07-05-12 03:00 PM
    You sound like the kind of salesman I'd like. I went to verizon to look at a 9930 and the salesman immediately said "O, you don't want that" . . . and I felt like saying "how do you know what I want/need, you didn't bother to ask?" I don't mind a salesman recommending something else as long as they take the time to first understand what I'm looking for.
    It's funny because I'm a girl so everyone assumes I know nothing about cell phones. LOL

I always start with "What do you want to be able to use your cell for?" and go from there. I'll ask "Do you need a physical keyboard or are you comfortable with a touchscreen?", "Do you send and receive a lot of email, are you using it for work as well?" - stuff like that. If they say they like a lot of app selection, I'll ask what kind of apps. I will ask if they say they have a lot of music if they have an iPod - that way if they have any paid apps they can share them on an iPhone if that would best suit their other requirements.

We end up with a lot of the Futureshop or other stores sales coming to us for help with the phone because they can't get help from where they bought it and they were sold the entirely wrong phone for them. It's frustrating.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-05-12 03:20 PM
    I guess I need help understanding. How was that salesperson, wrong?
    It is an obsolete OS. Just because we are still using it does not mean it's relevant anymore.

You have to look at it from a customer experience perspective:
    1. Most customers are not fully aware of what is going out in the real world of cell phones.
    2. If I were to buy any piece of equipment I'd like to hear what the sales people have to say, but, because of who "I AM", I would also do my own research. A lot of people don't want to do this research nor do they understand it.
    3. As with most things, everything is a matter of opinion, even my comments and those of others on here.

A year ago I would have said and I did say that Verizon flat out told me that "we don't sell BBs". Well I finally walked into a store where they did. They did try and talk me out of it, but I quickly put an end to that conversation. I made my own decision, but for me it was an educated decision.

Fast forward to the present, not a snowball's chance in h3ll I'd buy the 9930. RIM has failed way too many times with their promises. They don't know that they will be around next year. Thank RIM for that, don't thank Apple, Google or any one else. They (RIM) saw the writing on the wall and DID NOTHING.

Quit being such fanboys for a company that clearly does not give two cents about you, the consumers. If they did, they would not be suffering right now. Their sales would have remained up and they would still be the leader and we'd all be laughing at Android and Apple for their attempts to take the RIMpire on.

Facts are facts. Quit drinking the Kool-Aid.
    07-05-12 03:23 PM
    I do not believe best buy employees get commissions.
    best buy mobile employees get a bonus at the end of the month based on how much margin was made, so an iphone may payout more so the employees would be more inclined to sell an iphone over a blackberry. Hence why they try to sell you on the black tie protection over carrier insurance.
    07-05-12 04:25 PM
    It's funny because I'm a girl so everyone assumes I know nothing about cell phones. LOL

I always start with "What do you want to be able to use your cell for?" and go from there. I'll ask "Do you need a physical keyboard or are you comfortable with a touchscreen?", "Do you send and receive a lot of email, are you using it for work as well?" - stuff like that. If they say they like a lot of app selection, I'll ask what kind of apps. I will ask if they say they have a lot of music if they have an iPod - that way if they have any paid apps they can share them on an iPhone if that would best suit their other requirements.

We end up with a lot of the Futureshop or other stores sales coming to us for help with the phone because they can't get help from where they bought it and they were sold the entirely wrong phone for them. It's frustrating.
    I so wish more salespeople were like you. Here's a conversation I had when I was carrier shopping a few months back:

Sprint rep: So what do you like to do with your phones? *starts to steer me over to iPhones*

Me: Oh actually I'm interested in Android. *pulls out Amaze* I've used high-end Android devices for the last several months. If I switch to Sprint I'd most likely get the SGS2 or Evo 3D. I'd just like to learn more about them.

Sprint rep: So...like...you like listening to music and using gps?

::headdesk::

ETA: That was also the first time I got to play around with the 9850. I asked about that as well in our conversation, but he couldn't tell me a thing about it .
    reeneebob likes this.
    07-05-12 04:36 PM
    Had a sales rep in Sprint ask me why I wanted to buy the Samsung GSIII off contract then look at me incredulously..... ::shrugs::

Sent from my GSIII using Tapatalk 2
    mud314 likes this.
    07-05-12 04:52 PM
    This morning on the radio here in DC, I heard an ad for the Blackberry Bold. The Be Bold ad. At the end it said you can buy the Bold for $99 at Best Buy.

Now a few days ago, I was in a local Best Buy and walked up to the cell phone counter and looked at the 9900. The salesman pounced and said "we don't recommend Blackberry." I asked why and got the usual litany or reasons, obsolete OS, not intuitive, few applications, email inferior to iPhone etc. I asked about security and he said the iPhone was a secure.

THEN, I asked if that was his personal opinion or the official position of Best Buy. He gave a waffling reply about they are trained by Best Buy and they also talk about themselves. I then became increasingly aware that my presence in that store was no longer welcome.

Had a similar experience at an AT&T store recently too.
    they probably make more money off selling iphones than blackberry, i know for example at radioshack the employees make more commission off selling the iphone than any other phone
    07-05-12 05:10 PM
    Had a sales rep in Sprint ask me why I wanted to buy the Samsung GSIII off contract then look at me incredulously..... ::shrugs::

Sent from my GSIII using Tapatalk 2
    Seriously??? I've bought the VAST majority of my devices off contract (old Even More Plus plan on T-Mo) and I've never gotten any weird looks or reactions from reps.
    07-05-12 05:13 PM
    I was just going to say something similar (on both points).

The person I know who literally was "the complaints department" for his company had a pre-written "Oh we care so much... thank you for your valuable feedback" letter that he would mail back and just shred the letter you sent without reading it. Not saying all places do this, but most people just could care less about your crappy experience with some kid barely making minimum wage that probably won't be there in 6 months anyways. They don't hire mobile engineers and firmware developers at Best Buy to sell people phones if you didn't notice. They take any poor sucker who can pronounce the word "Android" and show grandma how to make a call or take a picture with her new phone.
    holy qwap batman... you live in Texas????? ...heh... amazing how many of these similar storys have the same common thread...

BTW Best Buy is trying to go private in order to restructure...cuz ah er ah...Amazon is KILLING them yeah I know cuoldn't happen to a nicer group right....well no I mean I don't like seeing folks lose jobs but my point is how corporate culture makes and breaks a company ....BB right now kindah sucks as they have their fan boys in many departments. Bought a Kenwood head for my truck and he wanted me to go with Pioneer ah-hem sonny I KNOW WHAT I WANT OK????? with a stern stare into those dead lifeless amoeba fed eyes of his... sigh very frustrating ...indeed...

if they don't wake up to listen to customer feed back they will have more of a struggle in the future but then sucks to be them tight now....
    07-05-12 05:16 PM
    This morning on the radio here in DC, I heard an ad for the Blackberry Bold. The Be Bold ad. At the end it said you can buy the Bold for $99 at Best Buy.

Now a few days ago, I was in a local Best Buy and walked up to the cell phone counter and looked at the 9900. The salesman pounced and said "we don't recommend Blackberry." I asked why and got the usual litany or reasons, obsolete OS, not intuitive, few applications, email inferior to iPhone etc. I asked about security and he said the iPhone was a secure.

THEN, I asked if that was his personal opinion or the official position of Best Buy. He gave a waffling reply about they are trained by Best Buy and they also talk about themselves. I then became increasingly aware that my presence in that store was no longer welcome.

Had a similar experience at an AT&T store recently too.
    I received the same kind of response at my local Verizon store when I asked about a 9850. I wanted to see how it compared to my 9930. They said there was none in the store. They'd sent them all back to warehouse. I can only assume for return to RIM. He tried to sell me a Motorola Razor Max. I said no thanks send me a 9850 next day.

Anyway this leaves me to ask where are we to buy a BB10 if the carriers are not going to carry? Looks like RIM going to have to do a lot of door to door selling.
    07-05-12 05:17 PM
    Amazing to me that anyone would take such offence to the opinion of a sales rep. A lot of people go in wanting the easiest solution, if my mother came back from best buy after going 'shopping for a tablet' and came home with a Playbook, I'd return it for her, and give the sales rep an earful. You want people to have options and - FOR NOW - that isn't any Blackberry product. RIM had the lead in mobile and they blew it. Maybe they will get it back, maybe they won't, but when a sales person encourages someone to go with something that the market is favouring, they are doing their job. End of story.
    07-05-12 10:09 PM
    Get with the times dude...my emails contain all the nice pictures and links to websites...it's beyond the simple text email of yore that you remember
    Exactly...even the email when I had my Tour is MUCH better than on my iPod Touch (which I actually don't even use) and MUCH MUCH better than my Droid Razr
    07-05-12 10:54 PM
    That's ok they told me that RIM went bankrupt....9 months ago!.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    07-05-12 11:01 PM
128 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD