Best Buy Mobile has made some great strides in becoming a heavy hitter in cell phone/service sales. I don't get why they don't have working models of each phone they sell for each carrier they offer in-store?

It's annoying having to go up to the personnel and specifically ask them to let you toy w/ a working model of a specific phone!

Note to Best Buy Mobile: Please provide working models of each phone out on display just as you do w/ your computers, televisions, cameras, gps units, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 11:27 AM
    While its a great idea you have to take into account imagine all the devices. Have to be taken as losses and most of those devices will be abused and damaged. So imagine 30 devices per carrier only to be destroyed. Much cheaper to have dummy units. Here's what I did, go to your providers store with working devices and when you're ready to buy head to best buy.

11-19-09 11:38 AM
    While its a great idea you have to take into account imagine all the devices. Have to be taken as losses and most of those devices will be abused and damaged. So imagine 30 devices per carrier only to be destroyed. Much cheaper to have dummy units. Here's what I did, go to your providers store with working devices and when you're ready to buy head to best buy.

ha you really think they will take a loss on all the phones, look at the rest of there store they have tv's, computers,radios,stereos,cameras,mp3's ect.. all live devices !
    11-19-09 12:20 PM
    ha you really think they will take a loss on all the phones, look at the rest of there store they have tv's, computers,radios,stereos,cameras,mp3's ect.. all live devices !
    LOL like they would have fake tv's I could just see people walking in and theres like a cardboard tv.... ahaha
    11-19-09 12:41 PM
    LOL like they would have fake tv's I could just see people walking in and theres like a cardboard tv.... ahaha
    Or even better a fake camera, thats almost a must to see what you are getting before buying haha
    11-19-09 12:46 PM
    first don't jump all over me . I'm not best buy. Second, yes they are taking a loss. Phones get used and abused sometimes destroyed vs TV's are watched more closely. Kids go and mess up phones while their parents don't give a damn. Try that with a TV.

11-19-09 01:05 PM
    I can vouch for this. The Walmart I go to always has fake versions of the genuine article. Except for the iPhone and the LG dare.
    11-19-09 01:17 PM
    God; I knew someone was going to eventually post EXACTLY what you did above.

Haha man what about their MORE EXPENSIVE electronics they have displayed?
    How about take those down and prop up dummys of those too? Want to play with that LED, Plasma, LCD, Camcorder, Camera, Laptop, etc.? Sure; poke at this dummy unit. People buy things that have a lot of 'zeros' and 'commas' attached to them mainly when they get a chance to play with the REAL THING...not a dummy.

I can vouch for this. The Walmart I go to always has fake versions of the genuine article. Except for the iPhone and the LG dare.
    Yeah; the Wal-Marts I've seen only have working iPhones out. That's the same way Best Buy is with their phones; usually only a couple of working iPhones are out...and that's mainly to sell the batrillionjillion iPhone accessorries that Best Buy offers.
    Last edited by HandsomePrince; 11-19-09 at 01:43 PM.
    11-19-09 01:39 PM
    first don't jump all over me . I'm not best buy. Second, yes they are taking a loss. Phones get used and abused sometimes destroyed vs TV's are watched more closely. Kids go and mess up phones while their parents don't give a damn. Try that with a TV.

Rofl you really think people dont mess with the TV's the same they would with phone and mp3 players, come on, how many times do you go to best buy and all of the sudden you hear all this music coming either from the tv's or from there car audio haha, and not to mention there computers, I see people messing with those all the time ! A few real phones would not make or break best buy's pocket book lol
    11-19-09 02:08 PM
    Rofl you really think people dont mess with the TV's the same they would with phone and mp3 players, come on, how many times do you go to best buy and all of the sudden you hear all this music coming either from the tv's or from there car audio haha, and not to mention there computers, I see people messing with those all the time ! A few real phones would not make or break best buy's pocket book lol
    Didn't Circuit City have real phones out...
    Actually I can't recall but I agree with what was posted somewhere up there I've enver thought about this before just go into the vzw store and check it out there...
    11-19-09 02:18 PM
    Didn't Circuit City have real phones out...
    Actually I can't recall but I agree with what was posted somewhere up there I've enver thought about this before just go into the vzw store and check it out there...
    I think curcuit city did have real phones
    11-19-09 02:23 PM
    Most of the other big things stay in better condition than phones will. TV's, laptops, and cameras (albeit to a lesser extent) can still be sold after being displayed, while mobile phones tend to take more of a beating and less people would want used ones.

Also, most phones require active service to do anything, which makes changing displays a pain in the *** and also incurs its own cost.

So, as stated above, the best advice would be to check it out at a carrier store and then go get the good price somewhere else.
    11-19-09 02:27 PM
    Most of the other big things stay in better condition than phones will. TV's, laptops, and cameras (albeit to a lesser extent) can still be sold after being displayed, while mobile phones tend to take more of a beating and less people would want used ones.

Also, most phones require active service to do anything, which makes changing displays a pain in the *** and also incurs its own cost.

So, as stated above, the best advice would be to check it out at a carrier store and then go get the good price somewhere else.
    You're missing the point man. Best Buy Mobile pretty much offers all the main carriers under one roof...the carriers plans, phones and pricing pretty much. When someone is doing some comparative shopping...it's a pain in the rear to go to each carrier's store to sample things out.

And who cares if display units get wear and tear; that should be a built-in cost of doing business...so providing that reasoning is pretty nominal compared to the amount of money Best Buy produces from sales for itself and for the carriers.
    11-19-09 02:36 PM
    I have to Agree with Handsomeprince If best buy had all working models under one roof they would offer a service no one else does, to be able to compare all phone right there would be awesome !
    11-19-09 02:43 PM
    Even if they offered more than one working device (other than the iPhone, please!), it'd be better than none. Maybe one or two per carrier? It is annoying to have to walk up and ask to see a 'real' one..
    11-20-09 08:29 AM
    You're missing the point man. Best Buy Mobile pretty much offers all the main carriers under one roof...the carriers plans, phones and pricing pretty much. When someone is doing some comparative shopping...it's a pain in the rear to go to each carrier's store to sample things out.

And who cares if display units get wear and tear; that should be a built-in cost of doing business...so providing that reasoning is pretty nominal compared to the amount of money Best Buy produces from sales for itself and for the carriers.
    No, I see you point, I think it would be a cool idea too. Kinda like I think Flying cars are cool. Both are possible at some point, and not probably in the immediate future.

Remember that tossing out/heavily discounting used handsets isn't as cheap as you might think: $300-$400 a pop, times almost 1k stores, EVERY time a model had to be replaced on display. Thats a ridiculous unnecessary expense.

They make a good effort to be knowledgeable about the handsets, and have some of them available to see for real if you just ask, I think it really shouldnt be that bad to have to talk to a salesperson to see something you're looking at. You might be suprised at the fact that many of them wont hassle you till you wanna kill them, and can actually be helpful.
    11-20-09 12:27 PM
    I think curcuit city did have real phones
    I'm sure best buy wants to go down that road lol
    11-20-09 12:37 PM
    really so phones fare as well to customer abuse than TV's . Don't think so. Too bad I can't post pics . Went to Fry's yesterday and. Three dummy units were completely destroyed. A BB tour with half the keys missing and a G1 with the screen gone and one dummy unit completely gone and only the battery door still there.

Yeah really. Devices hold up well........ TVs with a couple of scratches or dent can still be sold. Phones with missing keys and missing screens can't.

11-21-09 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD