01-20-11 08:19 AM
210 123 ...
tools
    *Mods: not sure where to post this since it concerns all cell phone use (not just BB) and could get somewhat political*

A story out today that the National Safety Council is calling for legislation to ban *all* cell phone use while driving a vehicle - even "hands-free" calling.

Story here: National Safety Council wants ban on driving with cell-phone | NECN

and here:Ban all cell-phone use by drivers, National Safety Council urges -- chicagotribune.com

Thoughts and comments?
    01-12-09 06:24 AM
    dont understand why we need another law. typical govt reaction it appears their goal is to make everyone a criminal. there is already a law called reckless operation. if ur on the phone and cause an accident it reckless. some of us can do more than one thing at a time. next it will be illegal to talk to ur passengers and turn on the radio or use ur ipod
    01-12-09 06:41 AM
    What about banning children in the car too? I understand the need for safety on the road, but there is always a right way to do things and a wrong way to do them.
    I see people driving in cars that have small children literally crawling over the seats and in the back window. I see people eating hot dogs, biscuits, etc. While sipping on what appears to be a 200 oz. Big gulp. Not to mention the people applying makeup or reading a map. These things seem to me to be as much if not more dangerous than using a bluetooth or maybe even the phone itself.
    People seem to forget that laws like these can quickly become a slippery slope.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 06:55 AM
    It's already a city ordinance where I live that you can only use hands-free while driving. There's been talk of an amendment to go ahead and ban hands-free, too.
    01-12-09 06:58 AM
    ITS NOT A SAFETY HAZARD TO BE ON THE PHONE AND NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO DRIVING, IN MY SUVS I DO ALOT OF STUFF

WE SEEM DRUNK ON OUR CELLPHONES
    BUT WERE WILL PASS THE DUI TEst

keep yacking and driving
    who cares if its dangerious
    Lots of things are *dangerous.* Driving itself is dangerous - especially to pedestrians. A few years back, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wondered why so many pedestrians in crosswalks were being mowed down by *automobiles.*

<sarcasm on> Is there *anything* so important happening that you absolutely HAVE to drive rather than walk? Why not leave sooner or move closer?<sarcasm off>

The real question is this: do the benefits outweigh the risk? We answered the question "yes" as it applies to automobiles. That is, despite the risk (to pedestrians, to other drivers, to passengers) we get more utility out of using them than not.

I'd suggest that the *same* analysis applies to cell phone use . . . even while driving.

BTW, it's NOT the "government" doing this yet. This is *organization* advocating a position. The *government* is US and, if you feel strongly about the matter (either way), then let your legislators (state and federal) know how you feel.

Not really the question is it? If every *dangerous* thing was outl
    01-12-09 07:00 AM
    Get a bluetooth earpiece or MAKE YOUR CALL WHEN YOU STOP!!!!!!!!
    01-12-09 07:04 AM
    Get a bluetooth earpiece or MAKE YOUR CALL WHEN YOU STOP!!!!!!!!
    Jack, for the record, the National Safety Council is proposing a ban on ALL cellphone use while driving - even the use of hands-free devices like a bluetooth earpiece.

What do you think about that?
    01-12-09 07:06 AM
    Don't feed the trolls.
    01-12-09 07:12 AM
    Next thing you know, they'll be banning drivers from talking to the other ppl in the car with you. What's the diff with a thing stuck in your ear?

Just another way for the government to control the ppl.
    01-12-09 07:15 AM
    No. Driving with any cell phone should not, and will not, be banned. I don't see too much wrong with making hands free use mandatory.
    01-12-09 07:15 AM
    Its like certain user taxes. Like cigarette and alchohol 2 name 2. People say oh well I don't smoke who cares? But soon everything will b taxed. I am a contractor hav been for over 20 yrs. The amount of tax I pay each day like lumber & building materials and the gas I use. If u add all the tax u pay not just income/ ss but everyth else we r close 2 payin 50%. Watch when u r told a new law is for ur safety.

01-12-09 07:22 AM
    TEXTING AND TALKING ON PHONE WHILE DRIVING
    HAS NEVER CAUSED 1 Accident IN HISTORY
    Are you freaking serious?? That is the dumbest statement I've ever seen!!

01-12-09 07:26 AM
    THEN

I CANNOT

TEXT AND CALL

BARBARA

ABOUT

MY

NEW

NAILPOLISH

WHILE

DRIVING

A 2 TON

SUV

80MPH

DOWN

THE HIGHWAY

WHILE CHECKING EMAIL

ON MY PDA

AT THE SAME

TIME

HOW UNCONVINIENT
    HOW UNCONVINIENT
    I WANT CONVINIENT

MY NAILPOLISH IS IMPORTANT TO TELL BARBIE ABOUT WHILE DRIVING
    Ok, that's the second dumbest statement by you!!

01-12-09 07:28 AM
    Since the cited articles in my OP don't mention texting, I'm wondering how it's relevant to this topic.

The National Safety Council is proposing a ban on *talking* on cellphones while driving - even if a hands free device (like a blue tooth earpiece) is used. The National Safety Council claims that the scientific evidence is that *talking* on a cell phone is dangerous and it makes *no difference* whether the driver is using a hands free device or not.
    01-12-09 07:29 AM
    01-12-09 07:30 AM
    All of us dont want laws to stop us from texting on our phones at the whell

look how many want to be able to drive and talk

your the only 1 who wants to take away our cellphones in my car
    You're the one posting a statement that says texting while drivind has never caused an accident! I know from experience that that isn't true! I've been in an accident because some id!ot was texting and driving.

01-12-09 07:31 AM
    You're the one posting a statement that says texting while drivind has never caused an accident! I know from experience that that isn't true! I've been in an accident because some id!ot was texting and driving.

Don't take him seriously, and arguing his inane posts only encourages him to keep on--"feeding the troll." He's just saying outrageous things to stir up reaction. Ignore is your friend.
    01-12-09 07:32 AM
    Oh trust me, done and done! Unsubscribed!

01-12-09 07:35 AM
    I just think people need to be more aware and careful. I have tried to stop the bad habit of txting while driving. I mean I do it and I email and all but not in heavy traffic. We do not need a law...we just need a bit of common sense. And I do email sometimes if my boss emails me, but its short and sweet...ex: job done, thx. sent from my blackberry...he knows I'm on the run and thats all it takes.
    01-12-09 07:42 AM
    Ok, that's the second dumbest statement by you!!

awesome.....LY BAD! agreed...
    01-12-09 07:45 AM
    Jack, for the record, the National Safety Council is proposing a ban on ALL cellphone use while driving - even the use of hands-free devices like a bluetooth earpiece.

What do you think about that?
    Perfectly fine with it.... nothing is so darn important that it cant wait until I either pull over or get to my destination. Im old enough to remember when we didnt all have cell phones. I can do without it while driving.
    01-12-09 07:47 AM
    I'm all for the idea. Talking on a cell phone and trying to drive is not good. I almost got hit by cars, twice, by folks too busy talking on the phone to pay attention to the most important activity driving. I've seen near-accidents several times.

Talkin-on-the-phone-while-driving conversations should be limited to the, "I'm stopping to pick up milk. Bye" variety. Long, involved convos should not be, unless you pull over. Better yet, wait till you're out of the car. Unless it's something very important, a conversation can wait until both parties are off the road.

I know, we all are such good drivers that we don't need to concentrate on the road and people in front, back and at the side of us. That's foolishness. I just saw a woman a few days ago, putting on eye makeup while driving. Or, you got the folks who are diggin' in the back seat, looking for whatever, while driving. They've done it numerous times, so they think they're masters. One day it's going to have a different outcome.

Plus, even if we had laws banning cell phone usage while driving, people would still try to talk and drive and not get caught.
    01-12-09 07:51 AM
    It's already illegal up here in NY--at least without hands-free. People still do it all the time, and the cops can't be everywhere at once so they don't catch them all. I had a car totaled by some soccer mom in a huge SUV who ran a red light because she was distracted talking on her cell phone. The sad thing is it was still legal at the time so we couldn't get her nailed for that, too.
    01-12-09 08:10 AM
    I do NOT support a total ban on cell phone use while driving. I think bluetooth and or handsfree (speakerphone) use is ok. I would support a ban on texting, which some states do by banning having a cell phone in your hand while driving. (NJ for example).
    01-12-09 09:00 AM
    My county in NY proposed a ban on texting while driving, but abandoned the effort when it was pointed out as unenforceable. Holding a cell phone to your ear is easy to catch, but texters tend to hold it low and out of sight from outside the car.
    01-12-09 09:06 AM
210 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD