Request denied. This one's posted from my laptop, while at the wheel ... in a school zone.
    Give us your car details and your license number and I'll forward this thread along to the Highway Patrol in Rhode Island. I'm sure they'd love to get ahold of you.
    10-20-09 05:53 PM
    "Give us your car details and your license number and I'll forward this thread along to the Highway Patrol in Rhode Island. I'm sure they'd love to get ahold of you."

The behavior you find offensive actually took place in Massachusetts. And, no, there's no way I would ever knowingly provide any information which might help the police stick it to me. Besides, those jerks do much worse things. I was in the vicinity of one on the interstate highway today (a local one on the way somewhere, not even in his own jurisdiction, but nevertheless in his town's police car), and he was changing lanes without signaling while tailgating other motorists. I could have easily called his department (from my vehicle) to complain and followed my complaint up in writing -- it's best to make a paper trail for the guy's file -- but I was probably busy doing something else on my computer or Blackberry, lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-09 06:23 PM
    The behavior you find offensive actually took place in Massachusetts.
    While some of your behavior in this thread is offensive ... (wanting me to get hit by a car so you could apply to be on the jury and let the driver off -- that, for instance, is pretty offensive stuff) ... I don't find your driving patterns to be offensive.

Offensive is a word I'd use if someone forgot to take a bath or neglected to brush their teeth or were rude in language or sinister intent. Those things are offensive.

Bad driving isn't offensive.

Bad driving is ... well, stupid, insane, very self-centered, obnoxious, dangerous, life threatening, dumb, demonstrating a total lack of concern for others, childish, and a variety of other things all well ahead of offensive.

Now back to you, IF you are such a phenominal driver, you should delight in giving up your car's description and license number. Because you consider yourself such an exceptional driver, you shouldn't fear having the police alerted to your unsafe driving preferences. You should consider it a dare. Knowing that you have super human powers and are able to shave, text message, use a laptop, paint a picture and have sex with your girlfriend all while driving, having the police follow you should just be something you consider irrelevant.

Or is it that perhaps you aren't quite the driver you think you are and a policeman behind you noticing you driving poorly while you send text messages might be something that gets you into trouble?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

LOL.

You're no super driver Mr. Tonis and at the rate you are going, it's just a matter of time before you injure or kill another human being. I'm only glad I live 3000 miles away from the roads you menace.
    10-20-09 07:56 PM
    "Now back to you, IF you are such a phenominal driver, you should delight in giving up your car's description and license number. Because you consider yourself such an exceptional driver, you shouldn't fear having the police alerted to your unsafe driving preferences. You should consider it a dare."

Ah, the old "if you've got nothing to hide" tactic. Are you sure you're not a police officer? Nah, it's my personal policy never to cooperate with the police in any investigation of me. It's a rather good way to be. The revenue agent (i.e. police officer) isn't asking questions because he's my friend; he's asking because he's hoping to nail me for some "offense." (That's why I used the word "offensive." The traffic citations typically refer to the recipient as the "offender"). Besides, I don't trust the police. How can I? I've stated several times in this thread how I regularly (even today it happened) witness the police committing motor vehicle infractions. Why aren't they giving themselves citations and then submitting themselves to the court for discipline? No, I have a disdain for them and their hypocrisy. A great many of them (not all) seem to be none other than thugs with badges. I feel it's best never to consent to a search, and approaching the police with the intent of having them "evaluate" my driving, mannerisms, or whatnot would, to me, be like consenting to a search. Maybe they'll observe and evaluate anyway, but I won't help. If the nice police officer has nothing to hide, perhaps he should consent to my searching his house (including his spouse's underwear drawer.)

(Btw, I would never really want you to be hit by a car.)
    10-20-09 08:54 PM
    The revenue agent (i.e. police officer) isn't asking questions because he's my friend
    Mr. Tonis, I must admit that I got a laugh out of the phrase "revenue agent." Unfortunately that is really so true. Here in Santa Monica, I must tell you that if every crime were as efficiently handled as the way your "revenue agents" follow the parking meters, there would be absolutely no crime in this city. It's almost scary how you can be 2 minutes late returning to a car and be guaranteed that there will be a $50 ticket on your car. Now imagine this, a 25 cent offense (not getting back to the parking meter in time) and the penalty is $50 and the likelihood that you'll be caught by one of the "revenue agents" is well into the 90% range.

I can't ever remember returning 2-5 minutes late after the expiration of my meter and not having a "revenue agent" attack my car.

Imagine if these revenue agents were as diligent in solving rapes, thefts, and really serious crimes!

Mr. Tonis, I think we're really exhausted this thread. I do urge you to put your phone down and pay attention to your driving. The reality is none of us are as good at driving as we think we are and all of us need to consistently work at being better drivers behind the wheels of our cars. I live in a city that is compact and that allows people to walk to most things they need to do. Weeks can go by when I have no use for a car. I am quite serious when I talk about walking around the city and almost being hit on a regular basis by drivers who are not paying attention to the road because they are distracted by text messaging. A friend of mine told me that she recently wound up on the hood of a car in a cross walk because the driver of a car was text messaging rather than driving. Fortunately, other than a couple of bruises, my friend was not seriously harmed. You might not be as lucky with the person who winds up on your hood because you are text messaging rather than paying attention to your driving.

Eyes on the road folks. The text messages can wait.
    10-26-09 11:09 AM
    "I think we're really exhausted this thread."

I agree. Though heated at times, I still think it has been a meaningful discussion. So, thank you for that.

I tried to find a specific article I thought you might get a kick out of but couldn't locate it. Even so, there's lots of information on the topic if you were to Google "Chicago parking meters." It seems the city privatized the meters by entering into a lease amounting in the billions of dollars with a Wall Street investment firm. Under the terms of the decades-long lease, the meter-leasing company would keep the revenue from the meters, and the city would get to keep the ticket money if someone's meter expired. The meter company jacked up the rates, and now there's an ongoing parking revolt with protesters vandalizing many meters. The meter company is, of course, stuck with the costly repair and maintenance of the meters, lol.
    11-01-09 03:42 PM
    I don't know about all the phones capabilities being revoked. My BB has speaker phone so I can put it down and talk. But I do find it sad that as a society we have been so "dumbed down" that we actually require laws to stop texting while we drive. Personally I won't talk on a phone while I drive unless its my wife. ( Never know if something is wrong with her or my kids). But texting? Wouldn't dream of it. For the people who think they can drive while texting, maybe you should consider the person heading in your direction that can't.

11-05-09 05:15 AM
    I think hands free is fine. But I see people texting all the time and trying to drive...it doesn't work.
    11-05-09 10:18 PM
    Yep the majority of people are idiots and think they are such good
    Drivers.And why the heck should I and the rest of the good drivers
    Sub-sidize the morons through insurance?

Last edited by johnstruck; 03-19-11 at 08:19 AM.
    01-18-11 08:01 AM
    People are distracted when driving and making phone calls so it should be banned. Just a bluetooth headset doesn't save you from losing focus on driving. My opinion.
    01-20-11 08:19 AM
210 ... 789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD