Why outlaw talking on a phone? Texting, yeah I can understand that perfectly. Make people take a driving competency test while on the phone. If they pass with they can drive while using it in talk mode not texting or e-mails. Put a stamp on their license and create a database. Charge them five or ten bucks for it every time they get a license renewal so it pays for itself. If caught without the stamp and talking on the phone while driving, hit them with a $250 fine. You can even give them a window decal so the cops are not stopping you for no reason.

It's a good way to control it and make the state more money so they call all stop crying poverty. It's simple, if you're not guilty then you don't have to pay.

There is always another solution folks. Nothing is usually cut and dried.
    10-06-09 07:19 PM
    I don't care much for the nanny state or for the nervous Nellies that worship it.
    The founding fathers and Thomas Jefferson in particular (you might remember those old guys who fought against and defeated the "British Nanny State") declared that virtually the only legitimate role of government is to protect citizens from property loss or harm resulting from other men.

We have a Statue of Liberty in this country. Unfortunately we don't have a Statue of Responsibility. We still live amongst people who believe they are within their rights to do perfectly stupid things like drive 75 miles an hour while taking their eyes off the road to send text messages to their other stupid buddies about stupid nonsense. In the meantime as this *****'s car careens wildly all over the road because the driver isn't paying attention to driving, your wife and daughter are just on the road stopped in traffic up ahead and about to get plowed into because the driver is sending text messages.

Ever see the dozens of bodies of the dead being hauled out of the train wreck in Los Angeles caused by a train operator sending text messages rather than running the train? Had your wife, daughter, son ... fill in the blanks ... been on that train, I doubt you'd be so santimonious about libertarian philosophy.

Until we have a citizenry who take their responsibilities as seriously as they take their liberties, we only have government to intercede.
    10-06-09 07:25 PM
    This is about to become a reality in Ontario:

From Ban On Hand-Held Devices Starts In October

Ontario's ban on hand-held devices while driving will take effect on October 26, 2009.

The new law will make it illegal for drivers to talk, text, type, dial or email using hand-held cell phones and other hand-held communications and entertainment devices.

Following a three-month period that begins October 26, where the focus will be on educating drivers, police will start issuing tickets on February 1, 2010.

Studies show that a driver using a cell phone is four times more likely to be in a crash than a driver focused on the road. Other studies show that dialing and texting carries the highest degree of risk of all cell phone-related activities.

Police, paramedics and firefighters will continue to be allowed to use hand-held devices when performing their duties. All drivers may use hand-held devices to call 9-1-1.
    QUICK FACTS

Under Ontario's new law, fines of up to $500 can be levied against distracted drivers who text, type, email, dial, or chat using a prohibited hand-held device.
    Ontario joins more than 50 countries worldwide and a growing number of North American jurisdictions that have similar distracted driving legislation including Quebec, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, California and New York.
    Teens and young people under 35 are the most frequent users of cell phones while driving.
    10-06-09 07:54 PM
    This is about to become a reality in Ontario:
    Good for Ontario.

Just as a point of reference ... the article says that California has adopted similiar legislation. That is not quite accurate. It appears that the Ontario law completely bans cell-phone use. California's law stipulates that you must use a blue-tooth device but does not (yet) ban all cell-phone use.

I believe this will only be a matter of time now before all states completely ban cell-phone use on all of the roads of the nation.

It's regrettable that all must suffer because of the Bozos out there.
    10-06-09 08:19 PM
    "Police, paramedics and firefighters will continue to be allowed to use hand-held devices when performing their duties."
    (--from the Ontario rule cited above)

Should read, "Police, paramedics, firefighters, judges, their family members and their other cronies will remain shielded from the provisions of the new rules. After all, some animals are more equal than others "

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-09 08:39 PM
    Just make one law that says doing *anything* while driving besides driving is illegal and make the fine high enough that people will be afraid to chance it.

You're driving a 2000lb+ guided missile down the road and it is dangerous. You can't afford to be distracted whether it's by shaving, makeup, smacking your kid, phone use or anything else that takes any attention away from your task of safely driving.

10-06-09 08:59 PM
    Seriously though I do not see how this can be enforced it's tough enough to enforce the seatbelt law . I know there can be check points set up just like for drunk drivers and all but what "id-i-ot" will stay talking on the phone while waiting to go though that check point
    I also know that yes there will be a few that get caught they always are ,lol but for the most part it will just be another law in the books,that really wont affect the very ones its meant to but will affect the ones who want to "obey the law to the letter" no matter what.
    Last edited by DavidNC; 10-07-09 at 04:45 AM.
    10-07-09 04:40 AM
    I dont support the total ban on use of mobile when driving. I mean yeah ban the handset and make them use a headset.

but banning the use of headsets and talking altogther? whats next? you cant have a radio incase you sing along to your favourite song or change the cd, thatll disrtact you.

cant have anyone in the car unless they are mute, perfectly still or otherwise behind a wall. Talking to or looking at them can distract you.

you can no longer have buttions or dials to control your air con or heaters as adjusting them can cause you to crash.

All road signs must be removed as reading them diverts your attention away from the road

My point here is that governments need to make laws for safety without being stupid. Common sense should provail through but apparently is currently holiday and therefore has no say in whats going on.
    10-07-09 05:47 AM
    i use a BT headset while driving and its way better than holding your phone. i can freely talk with keeping my hands both on the wheel. seriously, unless you have godly driving on one hand you should have both on the steering wheel
    I am a god at driving with one hand! I can do things with a car that should not be possible! not trying to toot my own horn but I am that good! Rally trained and absolute no regard for my own safety while hurtling my car down a dirt track...

Wont ever catch me using my phone and driving tho. Illegal, irresponsible and dont right f****** stupid. if i need to make/take a call i use my headset or pull over. there are too many people out there who cant drive well WHEN they are concentrating just on the road, never mind when you give them something else to do......
    10-07-09 05:55 AM
    there are too many people out there who cant drive well WHEN they are concentrating just on the road, never mind when you give them something else to do......
    Absolutely right.

What's hilarious is these same people will tell you that they are all excellent drivers.
    10-07-09 09:33 PM
    It appears that the Ontario law completely bans cell-phone use. California's law stipulates that you must use a blue-tooth device but does not (yet) ban all cell-phone use.
    Actually, Ontario bans hand held cell phone use. You can still use your cell phone as long as you're using it via some sort of "hands free' set up - similar to California I would imagine.
    10-07-09 10:18 PM
    Actually, Ontario bans hand held cell phone use. You can still use your cell phone as long as you're using it via some sort of "hands free' set up - similar to California I would imagine.
    Correct, although not really clear in the article I posted, which came from the Ontario Government website?
    10-07-09 11:23 PM
    Correct, although not really clear in the article I posted, which came from the Ontario Government website?
    Which explains the confusion !

10-08-09 06:51 AM
    I am a god at driving with one hand! I can do things with a car that should not be possible! not trying to toot my own horn but I am that good! Rally trained and absolute no regard for my own safety while hurtling my car down a dirt track...

Wont ever catch me using my phone and driving tho. Illegal, irresponsible and dont right f****** stupid. if i need to make/take a call i use my headset or pull over. there are too many people out there who cant drive well WHEN they are concentrating just on the road, never mind when you give them something else to do......
    mate colin mcrae didnt do rally with 1 hand lol
    10-08-09 07:03 AM
    just to let you guys know if u dont already, its illegal in the UK to be using your fone while driving, only thing you are allowed to use are handsfree sets, if you are caught you get a fine and 3 points on your licence (if you get 12 points you get an automatic driving ban)
    10-08-09 11:39 PM
    just to let you guys know if u dont already, its illegal in the UK to be using your fone while driving, only thing you are allowed to use are handsfree sets, if you are caught you get a fine and 3 points on your licence (if you get 12 points you get an automatic driving ban)
    The Senate in France is working on legislation to ban students from cell phones in French schools.

I've said it forever. If people persist with their boorish behavior with the use of cell phones, you are going to see more and more laws written about where and when you can use them and/or carry them.

How many times have we all sat in movie theatres and had some j*ck*ss actually take a call on his cellphone during the middle of a movie ... oblivious to his or her rudeness and the fact they are disturbing others who came to see a movie, not listen to some j*ck*ss talK on their cell phone.

The more the boorish behavior goes on, the more laws you'll see outlawing the use of mobile phones. Learn some manners and common sense or get ready to see more and more limitations on where you are allowed to keep and use your cell phone. Simple as that.

10-09-09 11:55 AM
    "How many times have we all sat in movie theatres and had some j*ck*ss actually take a call on his cellphone during the middle of a movie ... oblivious to his or her rudeness and the fact they are disturbing others who came to see a movie, not listen to some j*ck*ss talK on their cell phone.The more the boorish behavior goes on, the more laws you'll see outlawing the use of mobile phones. Learn some manners and common sense or get ready to see more and more limitations on where you are allowed to keep and use your cell phone. Simple as that."

More laws are not the answer. This quote sounds like the words of some despot. Why not simply execute the ill-mannered boor? If someone in the theater is talking on the phone, complain to the theater's management and let it handle the problem patron. If it doesn't and/or your movie theater experience is ruined, demand your money back. You think you should call the police (from outside the theater, I would hope)? Ridiculous.

Last edited by T�nis; 10-09-09 at 12:44 PM.
    10-09-09 12:35 PM
    The UK banned people from using their mobiles while driving due to accidents and deaths caused by people using their mobile and unable to fully concentrate on their driving while speaking to someone on the phone.

Personally I think a ban while driving is not a bad thing, you can be distracted and can easily cause accidents... as for other instances, there doesn't necessarily need a law e.g. in cinemas, just people need to be more polite...
    10-09-09 05:03 PM
    " ... as for other instances, there doesn't necessarily need a law e.g. in cinemas, just people need to be more polite... "

Yes, I agree. A lack of civility is a societal problem, and it seems to be getting worse. :S

10-09-09 08:10 PM
    More laws are not the answer. This quote sounds like the words of some despot. Why not simply execute the ill-mannered boor? If someone in the theater is talking on the phone, complain to the theater's management ... You think you should call the police
    LOL. What a silly response.

I actually believe the government shoud fix the roads and leave the rest of us alone. If this "despot" ran the world, you'd see the size of government shrink overnight.

I regret that you were not able to follow the logic of the post. Please allow me to introduce you to Messrs Cause and Effect. As cell phone misuse contines, more and more laws will be written to deal with the problems. Again, Mr. Cause meet Mr. Effect. If you don't wish this to happen and you are one of the boors who drives while text messaging or takes calls in theatres or does a variety of other obnoxious things in public with your cell phone, well then stop that behavior. Otherwise the effect is quite predictable ... more and more laws and more and more restrictions on where you can use your cell phone.

Cause = effect.

People 20 years ago started to tire of smokers' behavior. First came mild restrictions on the amokers. Then more and more restrictive rules. Then quarantine area. Finally today isolation status. If you are a smoker, your smoking bevavior is extremely limited as to where you can smoke. In a matter of years, we went from smokers who could smoke anywhere to smokers who can't smoke hardly anywhere. Think the comparison doesn't fit? Keep text messaging while driving and talking on phones in theatres and watch the laws and the restrictions follow.

Calling me a "despot" won't cure these ills. I'm just making predictions. But the signs are on the wall if you care to look at them.

I was in the library the other day. The ringers on my phone were all silenced. I had my BB on the desk that I was using and saw by the flashing light that one of my best friends was calling. Again, my phone was silenced and no ringer drew any attention to my phone. I answered the call speaking VERY softly and proceeded to make my way to the door to a courtyard outside to speak on the phone. I told my friend in VERY muted voice that I was going outside to take a call. As I walked to the door with the phone to my ear and not talking at all, a librarian pushed a patron at a desk aside and rushed across the floor to scold me about using a cell phone. I was two feet away from the door to the courtyard when this happened and so I just ignored the librarian and continued to go outside. Now remember, I wasn't even talking during this walk to the courtyard ... I just had a phone to my ear. After I finished my call, I returned to the inside of the library and noticed the librarian sitting at her desk. I approached her and asked what I had done to cause her to PUSH aside another patron and RUSH across the floor to basically yell at me when I wasn't even talking on the phone and was clearly making my way to a door to take a call outside. She responded that I had the cell phone to my head. I asked her if she heard me talking on the phone and she meekly responded that no she hadn't. Why these dramatics then I asked. I got the normal lecture about cell phone rudeness. We're becoming a society where the issue of cell phone use has been so abused that even the innocent are feeling the reprocussions.

As I started out saying, learn some manners and some civility about the use of cell phones or get ready to see more and more and more restrictions about where and when you can carry and use your cellphones. They're already banned in most gyms and sportsclubs. Many high-end restaurants are banning cellphones. We see more and more state governments writting laws about the use of cells on the roads. The trend is clear. End the boorish behavior or get ready to see the same road the smokers travelled where yoiu wind up needing to go outside and use your cell phone in an alley because that's the only place left where it isn't prohibited.

10-10-09 11:47 AM
    The UK banned people from using their mobiles while driving due to accidents and deaths caused by people using their mobile and unable to fully concentrate on their driving while speaking to someone on the phone.
    As another poster had observed, most people aren't really good enough drivers without the distraction of trying to drive and use a cell phone at the same time. Of course everyone believes that they are excellent drivers and it's everyone else whose driving skills could be improved. Bottom line is most people are not anywhere near as competent at driving as they believe they are and cell phone use on the roads is a factor in many accidents.

10-10-09 12:01 PM
    LOL. What a silly response.

I actually believe the government shoud fix the roads and leave the rest of us alone. If this "despot" ran the world, you'd see the size of government shrink overnight.

I regret that you were not able to follow the logic of the post. Please allow me to introduce you to Messrs Cause and Effect. As cell phone misuse continues, more and more laws will be written to deal with the problems. Again, Mr. Cause meet Mr. Effect. If you don't wish this to happen and you are one of the boors who drives while text messaging or takes calls in theatres or does a variety of other obnoxious things in public with your cell phone, well then stop that behavior. Otherwise the effect is quite predictable ... more and more laws and more and more restrictions on where you can use your cell phone.

Cause = effect.

People 20 years ago started to tire of smokers' behavior. First came mild restrictions on the amokers. Then more and more restrictive rules. Then quarantine area. Finally today isolation status. If you are a smoker, your smoking bevavior is extremely limited as to where you can smoke. In a matter of years, we went from smokers who could smoke anywhere to smokers who can't smoke hardly anywhere. Think the comparison doesn't fit? Keep text messaging while driving and talking on phones in theatres and watch the laws and the restrictions follow.

Calling me a "despot" won't cure these ills. I'm just making predictions. But the signs are on the wall if you care to look at them.

I was in the library the other day. The ringers on my phone were all silenced. I had my BB on the desk that I was using and saw by the flashing light that one of my best friends was calling. Again, my phone was silenced and no ringer drew any attention to my phone. I answered the call speaking VERY softly and proceeded to make my way to the door to a courtyard outside to speak on the phone. I told my friend in VERY muted voice that I was going outside to take a call. As I walked to the door with the phone to my ear and not talking at all, a librarian pushed a patron at a desk aside and rushed across the floor to scold me about using a cell phone. I was two feet away from the door to the courtyard when this happened and so I just ignored the librarian and continued to go outside. Now remember, I wasn't even talking during this walk to the courtyard ... I just had a phone to my ear. After I finished my call, I returned to the inside of the library and noticed the librarian sitting at her desk. I approached her and asked what I had done to cause her to PUSH aside another patron and RUSH across the floor to basically yell at me when I wasn't even talking on the phone and was clearly making my way to a door to take a call outside. She responded that I had the cell phone to my head. I asked her if she heard me talking on the phone and she meekly responded that no she hadn't. Why these dramatics then I asked. I got the normal lecture about cell phone rudeness. We're becoming a society where the issue of cell phone use has been so abused that even the innocent are feeling the reprocussions.

As I started out saying, learn some manners and some civility about the use of cell phones or get ready to see more and more and more restrictions about where and when you can carry and use your cellphones. They're already banned in most gyms and sportsclubs. Many high-end restaurants are banning cellphones. We see more and more state governments writting laws about the use of cells on the roads. The trend is clear. End the boorish behavior or get ready to see the same road the smokers travelled where yoiu wind up needing to go outside and use your cell phone in an alley because that's the only place left where it isn't prohibited.

I'm relieved that you're not a despot (i.e. a proponent of anti-smoking and anti-phone laws), and that you were merely talking about cause and effect. Yes, what happened with the smokers happened the way you described, but I stand by what I said about more laws not being the answer to these types of societal problems. The owners of the establishments themselves should remain free to decide whom they cater to, and the market should remain free to decide whether to support or not support an establishment. Instead, as your cause and effect example evinces, we have someone deciding for all. But okay, maybe the establishments affected by the anti-smoking rules were (and are) actually free to decide. By voluntarily applying for licenses, they subject themselves to the "rules" of the licensing authority and thereby remove themselves from the realm of private establishments, opting instead to become "places of public accommodation."
    Last edited by T�nis; 10-10-09 at 01:30 PM.
    10-10-09 01:27 PM
    Get a bluetooth earpiece or MAKE YOUR CALL WHEN YOU STOP!!!!!!!!
    This seems to be the most common sensical response. I'm on the phone 4 hours a day between the hours of 6am - 6pm. Driving 90% of the time. I exclusively use a bluetooth device. My ear has hit my phone maybe a dozen times in the 6 months I've had this Blackberry Bold. I can't tell you how many people I still see who refuse to use bluetooth. I actually refuse not to. I can't tolerate holding a phone up to my head. Its very annoying and my phone attitude reflects it.

10-11-09 12:39 PM
    This seems to be the most common sensical response. I'm on the phone 4 hours a day between the hours of 6am - 6pm. Driving 90% of the time. I exclusively use a bluetooth device. My ear has hit my phone maybe a dozen times in the 6 months I've had this Blackberry Bold. I can't tell you how many people I still see who refuse to use bluetooth. I actually refuse not to. I can't tolerate holding a phone up to my head. Its very annoying and my phone attitude reflects it.
    I applaud you and your ploicy on using a bluetooth device. I actually use a Motorola H700 and completely love it. It does get to a point where you feel iccky if you forget to bring your bluetooth device and have to use your phone in the conventional way of holding it to your ear.

With all of that said, I predict that you will see state legislatures start outlawing cell phone use of any sort in cars within the next couple of years. The problem is not so much people like you and me, it's these id*ot j*ck*sses who think it's cool to send text messages while they drive. I will admit that I sent a text message while driving a long time ago. I was shocked as to how dangerous it is. You cannot possibly be a responsible driver and turn your attention away from the windshield to your phone to type in characters without being a menace on the road. And the problem is getting quite serious.

The other night, I was crossing Wilshire Boulevard (biggest street in Los Angeles County). I was in a cross walk and had crossed 3 lanes of traffic and had one lane left before I reached the sidewalk. I was attentive to make sure that I didn't get killed crossing this heavily travelled street and it was a good thing that I was attentive. A young blonde driving a blue BMW was completely oblivious that traffic had stopped to let me cross the crosswalk and she ZOOMED through the crosswalk, head down, sending a text message on her BlackBerry. I saw her blonde hair and the illuminated screen of her phone and recognized the form factor of the BlackBerry. She never looked up or even noticed me in the crosswalk. Had I been older and/or not able to move as quickly or less attentive, I would be dead today. This type of thing is going on in cars all over.

It is only a matter of time before cell phone use is made illegal in cars. I firmly believe it. If that troubles you, then you need to kick everyone you know who believes it is ok to send text messages while they drive squarely in their rear ends. I guarantee you that this behavior will result in the end of legally using cell phones in cars as we've come to know it since cell phones debuted in the 1980s.
    10-11-09 06:54 PM
    Ontario trucker fined for smoking on the job - The Globe and Mail

From the article:

"The policeman charged the 48-year-old trucker, who is from London, under the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, which prohibits smoking in enclosed workplaces and public places.

"'Work vehicles were deemed workplaces in that act, so that is a place of work,' he said."

The article also mentions the new phone use act.
    10-11-09 07:29 PM
210 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD