I carry a bluetooth headset in the car if I get a phone call that needs to be answered (ie: Job interview). After answering the call, I pull over at the nearest safe spot and wait until I've finished talking before I get going again.

I must say I am guilty of stoplight/sign text messaging though.....

Nevertheless, while I can agree that there are positive effects of a law like this, I think it's just a bandage fix. The real issue lies in the fact that driving today is a "secondary" activity. It's like doing the laundry or washing the dishes to most people. When they do it, they aren't thinking about it. Honestly, getting a driver's license in the US is too easy. Elsewhere in the first world, there is a much stronger emphasis on the fact that driving is a PRIVILEGE, not a right. Long story short, it's always been my opinion that the process involved to get and maintain a residential driving license should require more stringent testing and such. Smart drivers don't do stupid things like allow distractions to well...distract them.

(yeah yeah, hypocrisy at it's finest )
    Last edited by Norsk; 01-13-09 at 01:34 AM.
    01-13-09 01:30 AM
    WOAH! this topic scared me lol whew , but i think speaker phone and earpieces should be allowed.
    01-13-09 02:05 AM
    they are talking about using GPS to do this from what i heard tonight on the news. if the car goes over 5mph the carrier can disable the phone service via the GPS... dont know how it works but yeah, there ya go.
    Which would also prevent use by passengers in any vehicle - not the intended result unless this is simply another attack by the anti-cellular lobby. It would be cheaper and more practical to make it illegal to have any phone inside a moving vehicle. I don't think this will meet with public approval either.
    01-13-09 06:03 AM
    I talk on my phone all the time

At the wheel 2

I drive with my knee
    01-13-09 06:36 AM
    Just curious how one would separate, from a safety point of view, talking or texting on a cell phone and applying makeup or reading a book or paper or any one of a zillion other dumb things I've seen people do whilst driving...
    01-13-09 07:10 AM
    I talk on my phone all the time

At the wheel 2

I drive with my knee
    Hit anyone or have an accident in the UK whilst on the phone and you go to jail. Nice thinking. You oviously behave differently from your forum name, but then again...
    01-13-09 07:22 AM
    People are now grasping for straws, and an interesting observation, I could be wrong, those adamantly opposed to the idea are probably now on their way to work, chatting it up with "sally" to find out where they are meeting for lunch.
    01-13-09 07:32 AM
    People are now grasping for straws, and an interesting observation, I could be wrong, those adamantly opposed to the idea are probably now on their way to work, chatting it up with "sally" to find out where they are meeting for lunch.
    Rachel, I've always considered "straws" to be highly unlikely scenarios or arguments based on a series of "if, if, if, and if."

I'm wondering what, specifically, you think are the "straws" people are grasping at here?
    01-13-09 08:14 AM
    What about banning children in the car too? I understand the need for safety on the road, but there is always a right way to do things and a wrong way to do them.
    I see people driving in cars that have small children literally crawling over the seats and in the back window. I see people eating hot dogs, biscuits, etc. While sipping on what appears to be a 200 oz. Big gulp. Not to mention the people applying makeup or reading a map. These things seem to me to be as much if not more dangerous than using a bluetooth or maybe even the phone itself.
    People seem to forget that laws like these can quickly become a slippery slope.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I concur 110%...what's so different between a phone and a screaming kid in the back seat? Or a loud passenger, hot coffee, a bag that falls on the floor...I've seen on a news where a guy drove into a house because he dropped his Gatorade and reached down to get it.... let's just ban everything in the car...we might as well drive naked because sometimes I have to pick out my wedgie and that is distracting...
    01-13-09 09:14 AM
    this is just like when they made wearing seat belts mandatory people didn't want to do it even though it was proven to save lives.after the seat belts people didn't want air bags in their cars again proven to save lives. i can see where a hands free device can help save lives so to me i don't have a problem wearing a head set the life that it saves could be mind or a love one.in DEC my son was in a one car accident he ran off the road on one side and then crossed the road jumped a ditch and the car stooped in a mans front yard the car was a total loss but i son didn't have a scratch on him and you can thank seat belts and air bags for this so i point is use a hands free it may save some one you love.
    01-13-09 09:37 AM
    That is great, and oh so true Spinny.
    01-13-09 09:47 AM
    Hit anyone or have an accident in the UK whilst on the phone and you go to jail. Nice thinking. You oviously behave differently from your forum name, but then again...
    I concur. Perhaps this person is trying to be a provocateur rather than actually contributing to the thread.
    01-13-09 09:49 AM
    I'll also add this . . . I'd certainly like to know more about the methodology of these studies. For this reason:

We certainly HAD automobile accidents before cell phones were invented. People followed too closely, failed to maintain their lanes, etc. We cannot attribute the *cause* of such accidents to cell phone use (because cell phones didn't exist).

By the same token, just because a person was on a cell phone when they rear-ended you doesn't mean that the accident would not have occurred if they had not been on the phone.

That is, attributing *causation* to use of a cell phone while driving is - IMO - pretty tricky.
    what does common since tell you
    01-13-09 09:53 AM
    i see people every day holding a cell phone to their ear and not noticing what they are doing. these people will be in town and in heavy traffic and not notice when a light changes from red to green you have to blow your horn to get them to drive and then on the other had you see these people run a light when it is yellow or just turn red. lord help us when these same people get to a four way stop sign then you don't know what they are going to do.
    01-13-09 10:07 AM
    Cellphone usage in the car is a bad idea even with a handsfree. It is a necessary evil at times. Although a few have stated that the handsfree is safe while driving, you are still distracted by the discourse with the other person. Of course, that is the case when you have a passenger as well. What can you do?
    01-13-09 10:22 AM
    While speeding to work this morning and reading this thread on my BB and weaving in and out of traffic, I got so angry that I threw down my newspaper, spilled my coffee all over my lap (lawsuit pending), and called my Legislator demanding that they take immediate action on this issue! My one-year old grandson, whose diaper I was changing at the time, thought my uncontrollable cursing was funny and rolled onto the floorboard under my feet, giggling so cute that I just had to pick him up and tickle him.

I eventually got stopped by a school bus...what a public nuisance THOSE things are.
    01-13-09 10:46 AM
    And that, my friends, settles that.
    01-13-09 10:48 AM
    While speeding to work this morning and reading this thread on my BB and weaving in and out of traffic, I got so angry that I threw down my newspaper, spilled my coffee all over my lap (lawsuit pending), and called my Legislator demanding that they take immediate action on this issue! My one-year old grandson, whose diaper I was changing at the time, thought my uncontrollable cursing was funny and rolled onto the floorboard under my feet, giggling so cute that I just had to pick him up and tickle him.

I eventually got stopped by a school bus...what a public nuisance THOSE things are.
    You mean he didnt get stuck under the peddals?
    01-13-09 10:51 AM
    You mean he didnt get stuck under the peddals?
    Ha ha ha, yeah. What happened next?
    01-13-09 10:52 AM
    Ha ha ha, yeah. What happened next?
    Funny you should ask. After I changed his diaper and tickled him, I realized something just wasn't...quite...right.

So, just like I do when my BB gets fudged up, I wiped him.

The End.
    01-13-09 11:11 AM
    Great story...
    01-13-09 11:14 AM
    Funny you should ask. After I changed his diaper and tickled him, I realized something just wasn't...quite...right.

The End.
    I hope you didnt get any errors on him. All kids seem to have that speakerblast though.

The End.
    Good stuff.

Back on track? Or more of the funny?
    Back on track? Or more of the funny?
    What was this thread about, again?
    01-13-09 11:16 AM
    From the comments of most of you, I gather that you live in the cities. I live in rural northern Nevada, where the conditions are markedly different.

I left work last night at about 7:00. After I got out on the highway, I remembered that I hadn't called my brother in a couple of weeks. I reached up with one hand, and punched the button on my headset. This interrupted the aural book that I had been listening to, and let me command the phone to dial my brother at home. We visited with one another for the remaining seven miles to my house, during which I passed three cars going the opposite direction, and had only one turn, to get off the highway onto a back road.

The federal government should in no way be trying to set regulations for phone use because of their "one size fits all" mentality. During most of my driving, cars are at least a half mile apart, and the roads run straight for miles with any cross traffic visible for hundreds of yards before they reach the highway. At night, minutes go by between cars.
    01-13-09 11:26 AM
210 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD