View Poll Results: Entrapment or not - You decide.

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Entrapment, all the way

2 16.67%
  • Felony Arrest, Auto Theft

10 83.33%
  • I din know nuffin!

0 0%
  • A friend axed me to move it man...

0 0%
    I'm sure many of you have seen the reality show called Bait Car. For those that haven't it's usually based in high car theft areas of major California cities. Police will stage an event that ends up leaving a tasty Escalade or Accord parked in a visible location with the keys in it. Once someone decides to take the vehicle there are numerous undercover and marked police in the near vicinity, helicopters overhead and a command post tracking the car's every move with video and audio of the alleged car thieves. They allow the car to drive a few blocks then remotely disable the engine and lock the doors and windows, leaving the occupants neatly packaged inside as the police approach and make the arrest.

So then... Is this entrapment because the police knowingly left a tempting vehicle with the keys in it, or, is is simply felony Grand Theft Auto?
    12-02-11 02:01 PM
    Are you seriously that ignorant of the definition of entrapment? Entrapment is when a law enforcement officer commits a crime in order to persuade or coerce the mark into committing a crime. Since it is not illegal to leave the keys in an unlocked vehicle that has a remote disable device installed, can you now figure out the objectively unambiguous answer to your question?
    12-02-11 02:15 PM
    Ignorant or not, if you will read back I was neither for nor against entrapment in this hypothetical question. The sad fact is that there is an ever growing sector of our society that honestly believe this situation is entrapment, up to and including lawsuits. So, my question was not to offer that this is or is not entrapment... My question was and still is to provoke thought, discussion and the usual random thoughts that often seem to be offered in this Off Topic thread.

That said, I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

Thank you for your thoughts sir.
    highjakker likes this.
    12-02-11 05:13 PM
    While I'm sure the people that get busted think it is entrapment, I personally think it is just them being too stupid for words. Once they get in the bait car, they get whatever the law can throw at them. I feel if the car had not been a bait car, they still would have jumped in, turned the key and taken off.

I feel if the owner came running up with a gun, they would make some excuse that they were just going to look for the owner of the car in some manner. If the owner ran up and di not pose a threat, they would just keep on and steal the vehicle.

I've walked pass many a car with the keys dangling in the ignition and never once thought to myself, "I should take this for a spin"

Guess it all depends on how you were raised and what stuck after you left the nest..
    john_v and highjakker like this.
    12-03-11 09:07 PM
    It would be entrapment if the cops talked the person into stealing the car, however they do no such thing. They simply leave the car sitting there just waiting to be stolen. The person taking it knows they have no right to take it but commit the felony car theft willingly and of their own accord.

I'm of the opinion that we need to execute armed robbers and car thieves among a few select other criminals. It would sure get the message across "hey, don't do that" or at least cut down on repeat offenders.
    12-03-11 10:28 PM
    i watch this show and just wonder "what makes a person think it's ok to just take the car?? really???" and then me and my wife just can't help but laugh at the alleged thieves excuses. i have no pity for them nor do i expect the system to either (but in alot of cases they seem to). i don't know how a community (and i use that term because it seems that the entire neighborhood where the car is left has the same logic) thinks it is perfectly fine to take something that is not yours. i've seen husband and wives, mothers and sons get in it and go!
    12-05-11 07:47 AM
    i watch this show and just wonder "what makes a person think it's ok to just take the car?? really???" and then me and my wife just can't help but laugh at the alleged thieves excuses. i have no pity for them nor do i expect the system to either (but in alot of cases they seem to). i don't know how a community (and i use that term because it seems that the entire neighborhood where the car is left has the same logic) thinks it is perfectly fine to take something that is not yours. i've seen husband and wives, mothers and sons get in it and go!
    I am both saddened and enraged when I watch what you describe above happen. Who the he !! thinks it should be ok to take anything that doesn't belong to you. These dregs of society are like vermin swooping in on a fresh pile of manure. They have no concept of property rights or ownership, that is, until someone attempts to take something they own, then you are likely to be summarily executed without benefit of a trial.
    highjakker and Blkbear like this.
    12-05-11 08:09 AM
    and to make it worse, these same bottom feeders of society feel as if they are owed something or everything!
    Blkbear likes this.
    12-05-11 08:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD