Hey guys,

What's up? I'm moving out of my parent's house in a week or two, and I will be leaving my computer here, and getting another one when I move into my own place. The question is...How do take my whole computer with me (pretty much everything, except windows)?

I bought a 160gb SimpleTech external hd...but I'm just not sure what program/technique to use to backup my entire computer. My whole hard drive is about 80gb, so there should be no problems fitting it all on the external. What program is best to use, and is there any special way I need to do it? Also when I get my new computer, do I just load everything off of the external?

Thanks in advance.
    01-25-09 11:47 PM
    Since it's a physically different computer, you're probably better off just copying over whatever documents (music, pictures, reports etc.) you want to keep and just reinstalling all your programs from scratch.
    The problem is mostly the Windows registry. Copying it over to another computer will cause problems with Windows, and not copying it over will cause problems with your programs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-09 07:30 AM
    Some external hard drive manufacturers may have a utility to allow you to "back up" the part of/or the entire hard drive. I know Western Digital comes with Memeo, and I can go in and select either the drive or just specific files (e.g. pictures, word processing, etc.)

Whatever you're bringing with you in terms of peripherals (maybe printers, BB, mouse, cam, etc.), make sure you have their installation disks. If all of your files (mp3s, pictures, vids, word processing, spreadsheets, bookmarks, etc.) are stored under My Documents, it should be fairly easy. But, if you have stuff that's stored outside of My Documents, you may need to snoop around the computer's hard drive(s) to find them and just transfer them over.
    01-26-09 08:39 AM
    Go to download.com and search for Cobain Backup.

Sorry I would put it in a link, but I don't have enough post yet.

This is free software that you can use to copy all your stuff and then use it on your new computer to do regular backups.
    It is true you will want to to install your programs with the original media and not by copying the program files folder. You can however copy that folder to insure that saved files associated with that program are copied, ie saved games or updates.
    If you need help or have questions feel free to BBM me.
    01-26-09 02:42 PM
    Set your 80gb hd as a second hd? Can be done as external hd too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD