Today, 4th of may the dutch had a moment of silence for 2 minutes for the people fallen in WW2 and after that. This is a yearly ceremony. It is everywhere. There's almost no way of dodging it.

Luckily i turned off my berry radio for those 2 minutes out of respect because what did i get when i turned the radio back on after the 2 minutes having it turned off? a email from RIM to my gmail account that there's a new OS version for my 9700 available.

So it seems they started sending it at 20:00 GMT sharp. Pretty painful and a kind of awkward mistake from RIM i think. Not really a good idea to send mails which are delivered instantly in a country where everybody has a moment of silence for all the fallen soldiers and civilians due to wars.
    05-04-10 01:46 PM
    There is probably some sort of holiday or religious observation going on in some country at any time during a given day. It would be impossible for a company that has a worldwide presence to know all of the holidays/religious observances in all countries, and to custom tailor its upgrade notifications so they would not interfere with anything in any given country.
    05-04-10 01:53 PM
    There is probably some sort of holiday or religious observation going on in some country at any time during a given day. It would be impossible for a company that has a worldwide presence to know all of the holidays/religious observances in all countries, and to custom tailor its upgrade notifications so they would not interfere with anything in any given country.
    Exactly.

Best thing to do would be to either shut the phone/radio off or simply put it on silent.
    05-04-10 01:54 PM
    umm yeah, no disrespect, but that should be up to you, like you did, to turn off your berry.
    05-04-10 01:55 PM
    i guess they figured those who found the moment of silence important enough to observe would actually take responsibility for silencing their personal electronics too.

sheesh...there will always be a way for someone to blame something or someone else for their actions or lack of actions.
    05-04-10 02:00 PM
    sure i understand that but hey.. let's be honest... if it happens on the american or canadian moment of remembering fallen soldiers it would be a huge issue...

since this is done for over 60 years and internationally known they should've thought about this in my opinion. I work at a international company so i have to shut off my berry then to be sure.. i cannot expect and american citizen or any other colleague that they know about this day but i think i can expect RIM to keep these things in mind.

just to be sure.. i don't think it's a big deal or a greatly disrespectful action.. i just think it's a kind of awkward slip-up and not very considerate
    Last edited by kahuna57; 05-04-10 at 02:04 PM.
    05-04-10 02:00 PM
    I doubt it was a slip up, more like an automated thing from their servers, and servers don't care if you're observing a moment of anything. I don't see as it can be considered even slightly inconsiderate though, you are narrowing in on a non issue.

What if you got an email from an overseas friend that got delayed in transit by a few minutes and just happened to arrive during the moment of silence? Was that inconsiderate of the server? Communications are flying all over, people were getting phone calls during the moment of silence also. It's no big deal.
    05-04-10 02:08 PM
    Sorry but I am not seeing this as an issue of awkard, a slip-up, or
    inconsiderate at all AT ALL.

It is up to the observers to take the steps themselves to be reverential not a
    corporations. You did what you did and I respect you for that. Why do people
    expect corporations (located outside of their country) to deal with
    stuff like this, regardless of how long it has taken place.
    05-04-10 02:12 PM
    I have read some silly complaints of RIM before, but this one takes the cake.
    05-04-10 02:16 PM
    You're always gonna step on someones toes
    05-04-10 02:24 PM
    If it were that important, the government would have mandated all wireless carriers to shut off their towers for the moment.

I don't see how it's disrespectful for a company to send an email, automated or not at any given time. You are responsible for your electronic devices.

I go to church some Sunday mornings. Should I be upset that I sometimes receive messages during that time? Afterall, don't they know people go to church Sunday mornings?

Just make sure the device is on silent or the radio is off when attending services or observing moments of silence or whenever someone, whether a company, a friend, or even a spammer could send an inopportune message and cause you to be thought of as disruptive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-10 03:41 PM
    I never have an email audible alert on... the vibration is enough for me. But if
    I know I am at a memorial or religious service, I totally shut off my phone before
    entering the room/ service.
    05-04-10 04:16 PM
  13. T
    I wouldn't want to miss my messages because of someone's moment of silence.

05-04-10 08:25 PM
    I am all for the remembrance of those who served and sacrificed for their country, but I just don't see how this is offensive. You even turned your radio off and got offended after the fact. I just don't get it, honestly it seems like you just want something to be offended about...

Last edited by Stell1na; 05-05-10 at 09:38 AM.
    05-05-10 09:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD