Sometimes we have to remember that the average IQ is 100, which means half of the people you meet and talk to and work with and interact with on the Internet have an IQ < 100.

Just remember that when you're locked in a circular argument with someone after having explained the same thing logically 14 times.

Sometimes, it's best to smile and walk away.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-21-17 10:20 AM
    Sometimes we have to remember that the average IQ is 100, which means half of the people you meet and talk to and work with and interact with on the Internet have an IQ < 100.

Just remember that when you're locked in a circular argument with someone after having explained the same thing logically 14 times.

Sometimes, it's best to smile and walk away.

Surely you mean forum. 😎
    06-21-17 10:26 AM
    Maybe you should follow your own advice.

/blackberry-priv-f440/if-priv-doesnt-get-nougat-i-will-not-buy-keyone-1111281/
    06-21-17 10:45 AM
    That's the thread that inspired me to post this one!

Also, before I'm accused of acting superior, I make no presumptions which side of the mode I'm on!

kbz1960 likes this.
    06-21-17 11:13 AM
    That's the thread that inspired me to post this one!

Also, before I'm accused of acting superior, I make no presumptions which side of the mode I'm on!

LOL. Cool. I don't either.
    06-21-17 11:14 AM
    There's a difference between a population mean and a sample mean; assuming 100 is the baseline for a population, the mean IQ of a MENSA meeting and an Internet forum definitely won't be 100.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-21-17 11:16 AM
    There's a difference between a population mean and a sample mean; assuming 100 is the baseline for a population, the mean IQ of a MENSA meeting and an Internet forum definitely won't be 100.
    If you mean to imply that the average person on the Internet, or an Internet forum has above average intelligence, I would love to see evidence of that. It has not been my experience that the ability to type on a website creates a meaningful selection bias, unlike presence at a MENSA mtg.

06-21-17 11:20 AM
    If you mean to imply that the average person on the Internet, or an Internet forum has above average intelligence, I would love to see evidence of that. It has not been my experience that the ability to type on a website creates a meaningful selection bias, unlike presence at a MENSA mtg.

I didn't mean to imply that Internet forums are representative of an above average group, quite the opposite actually. Everything is selection bias if one is cynical enough.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-21-17 11:23 AM
    Fair enough. I fully concede there may be selection biases in any non random sample.

I still think the advice to consider differences in intelligence during disagreements valid.

06-21-17 11:26 AM
    Or the thought that you are right because that's your belief and no one else is going to tell you any different.

Not saying you but you as in any person.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-21-17 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Enter too soon
    06-21-17 11:30 AM
    Or the thought that you are right because that's your belief and no one else is going to tell you any different.

Certainly!

kbz1960 likes this.
    06-21-17 11:30 AM
    "You can't win an argument" - Dale Carnegie.

Posted via Blackberry Passport
    06-21-17 11:35 AM
    indicators other than IQ can have a significant impact when in discussion. For example, is english the first language for all chat participants?

Here on cb there are members who speak two or three or more languages to some degree or another, and whilst their written english may not be as clear as a native speaker they can still converse with great adequacy.

Having said that, some concepts may literally be lost in translation, but that doesn't mean that a lack of understanding equals a low scale IQ.
    kbz1960 and 1122334455667788 like this.
    06-22-17 08:40 AM
    Another factor influencing comprehension and the perception of intelligence, is the ability to convey meaning in a field outside of one's own expertise.

So, as cb is essentially a forum for BlackBerry users there is a lot of techo type talk, and other informative talk. If a poster does not have an IT techo background, or is just not into techo lingo, then the phrasing of any of their posts may give them the appearance of being not particularly ' bright', or whatever.

When, in fact, the person is just inexperienced at techo phrasing.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-22-17 08:46 AM
    indicators other than IQ can have a significant impact when in discussion. For example, is english the first language for all chat participants?

Here on cb there are members who speak two or three or more languages to some degree or another, and whilst their written english may not be as clear as a native speaker they can still converse with great adequacy.

Having said that, some concepts may literally be lost in translation, but that doesn't mean that a lack of understanding equals a low scale IQ.
    That's certainly true. I didn't mean to imply that differences in intelligence were the only reason for misunderstandings or arguments in Internet forums! That would be silly. Moreover, online forums are a great way to learn and practice a new language by discussing topics of mutual interest.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    06-22-17 09:36 AM