What do you drive, and why?

For some, a car is a utility, merely a means to get from point A to point B. It's not dissimilar to how some people feel about smartphones.

Black(crack)berrians are quite particular about their phones, and we choose our Blackberry (or berries) for very specific reasons. And so I wondered if Blackberry users are as passionate and discriminating about cars as we are about phones....

Post pics of your ride(s) too!
    03-05-17 11:51 AM
    Super passionate about cars!

My current obsession is the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio. I've ordered one and I hope to have it before end of summer. With Italian cars, you never know. I spend more time on those forums than I do here lately. I've also seen every YouTube video on the Giulia at least twice.

If you think waiting for 10.3.3 to ship was hard, try waiting on an Italian factory to make you a car. Or even to get you parts!

Other cars currently in the garage: ND Miata (CS with Brembo/BBS), BMW 328 wagon (with Track and M packs), Porsche 964, Ferrari F430, and a couple other boring daily driver types. I'm really into cars.

I love great engineering, and the art in many of these cars. Generally prefer a really good steer. I don't care that much about power, and have no interest in quarter mile times. But I love cars that are fun to drive on track. I actually track the station wagon as often as anything else lately. It's not the absolute fastest car out there, but passing cars in a station wagon on track is hilariously fun.
    03-05-17 12:06 PM
    03-05-17 01:16 PM
    We had a similar thread years ago. You can see my current fun ride in my avatar, and here:

Also a 2002 Jaguar X-Type that's the little woman's daily, and I usually am in the Prius, since I have the farthest drive. I don't think I've made it a year since I was 17, without something stoooopid fast to drive.
    toobs623 likes this.
    03-05-17 01:42 PM
    What do you drive, and why?

For some, a car is a utility, merely a means to get from point A to point B. It's not dissimilar to how some people feel about smartphones.

Black(crack)berrians are quite particular about their phones, and we choose our Blackberry (or berries) for very specific reasons. And so I wondered if Blackberry users are as passionate and discriminating about cars as we are about phones....

Post pics of your ride(s) too!
    Where's yours? It's so much better, when the OP shows a real interest in their thread.
    03-05-17 01:44 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5391230_20150922042913881_1_LARGE.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	418657
    Very nice boat!
    03-05-17 01:50 PM
    Speaking of Alfa, I saw this at the auto show a couple weeks ago, and drooled!

03-05-17 01:56 PM
    Speaking of Alfa, I saw this at the auto show a couple weeks ago, and drooled!
    Ha, I'm drooling over the car behind it, which is the Quadrifoglio.

The 4C is lovely, too, of course. The reviews of that have been mixed, I think largely because the factory ships them with seemingly random alignments. A properly aligned/setup 4C is quite a fun car.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-05-17 02:00 PM
    Ha, I'm drooling over the car behind it, which is the Quadrifoglio.

The 4C is lovely, too, of course. The reviews of that have been mixed, I think largely because the factory ships them with seemingly random alignments. A properly aligned/setup 4C is quite a fun car.
    I had an instant connection, considering how much it resembles an update version of my Jigsaw.
    03-05-17 02:03 PM
    I had an instant connection, considering how much it resembles an update version of my Jigsaw.
    Jigsaw?
    03-05-17 02:08 PM
    Jigsaw?

I don't just drive them.
    03-05-17 02:21 PM
    I don't just drive them.
    Wow. I'm not worthy. That's on my bucket list of things I'd love to learn how to do.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-05-17 02:38 PM

I don't just drive them.
    I hate you with the hatred of a thousand Cains right now...
    BigBadWulf and app_Developer like this.
    03-05-17 02:46 PM
    LoL, I love you guys!

Y'all do crap I wish I could. Fortunately for me, I ended up turning a hobby, into a damn good living working on trucks.
    03-05-17 04:11 PM
    Wow ... Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio, Alfa Romeo, Big Bad Wulf's Toyota MR2 (always loved those!) and Sad Old Man's yacht; craziness!

As for me, I've got:

Acura TL SH-AWD - this one's manual, and heaps of fun to drive!

BMW X6 xdrive 50i - even though it's an automatic DCT, it's reasonably fun to drive. We mostly use it to shuttle around visiting relatives, and to pull the boat/trailer.

Nissan 370Z - obviously manual, with augmented suspension, brakes, diff and a supercharger, yet it's a total "sleeper" in look. Hands down, the must fun car I've ever owned. It's only driven on weekends, and only when mountain roads are on the menu.

I'm an old school driver, and love to row my own gears (even though I know today's automatics are quicker). As someone said earlier, I also like a car that handles well; it's all about sharp handling and canyon carving, and enough power to keep a little drift going when the urge strikes!
    BigBadWulf and toobs623 like this.
    03-06-17 10:03 AM

I'm an old school driver, and love to row my own gears (even though I know today's automatics are quicker).
    Agreed, and I'm disappointed Alfa isn't bringing the manual Giulia QV to America.

I'm a fan of the 370Z also! Friend of mine has one, and I've driven it a few times. His doesn't have a supercharger on it, though.

As someone said earlier, I also like a car that handles well; it's all about sharp handling and canyon carving, and enough power to keep a little drift going when the urge strikes!

That's pretty much the definition of happiness right there.

Do any of you guys track your cars much? It's still too cold here, but the season pretty much starts for us in about 3 weeks. I'm counting the days.

Don't mind the helmet in this pic from last year, mine was out getting painted.

Auto Enthusiasts: What's in your stable?-track_sept16.jpg
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-06-17 10:47 AM
    Don't mind the helmet in this pic from last year, mine was out getting painted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Track_Sept16.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	418770
    Helmet? What Helmet? Sorry I was uhhh ... staring at your car. Please tell us a bit about it.

Indeed, the death of the manual transmission is a very sad thing (in much the same way the death of the PKB is to keyboard purists).

I do track the 370Z on occasion, and it's such a joy on a closed track. My love affair with the Z goes back to 1989, when I got my very first 1969 240Z (born the same year as I). Fast forward to last year, and I decided to try out a 370Z for the first time ... I've been enjoying it ever since. I've kept it looking as stock as possible:

Auto Enthusiasts: What's in your stable?-priss_1z.jpg
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-06-17 06:30 PM
    The Ferrari and Z look great!

I haven't taken one of my own on track in many years. Did get a chance in an FR-S when it launched. Was quite fun to throw on a helmet again!

Amen to "sticking" with old school. Not sure I'll ever own a weekend car with any traction control, or auto trani. Of my previous rubber burners, my '70 Triumph GT6+, '70 Charger Superbee, and '83 RX7 were my favorites, and all rock crushers.
    anon(8080272) and toobs623 like this.
    03-06-17 08:48 PM
    The Ferrari and Z look great!

I haven't taken one of my own on track in many years. Did get a chance in an FR-S when it launched. Was quite fun to throw on a helmet again!

Amen to "sticking" with old school. Not sure I'll ever own a weekend car with any traction control, or auto trani. Of my previous rubber burners, my '70 Triumph GT6+, '70 Charger Superbee, and '83 RX7 were my favorites, and all rock crushers.
    LOL @ "sticking." I see what you did there.

Absolutely loved the Superbee, and I think almost everyone loved the 80s RX7. Worthy of mention in there is the mid-80s Toyota Supra ... which brings us to the Toyobaru. What a gorgeous little car that is, and hats off them for making it, as well as to Mazda for making the MX-5.

Pics of the Superbee by chance? Sadly, I had my 240Z well before the advent of digital cameras. LOL.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-07-17 05:07 PM
    Wish I had pics of the Charger, but that was almost before film, LoL. It was black on black, Cragars, 440, 4sp, posi rear with 4.11 gearing. Crazy fast to slightly over 130mph.

The old Z's are a favorite of mine, since they came out. My dad had a 1600 Roadster when I was young. G-d was that a great little sportscar. My Triumph was much like them. Extremely light, straight 6 and hatchback. Looked like a miniature E-Type. Nothing beats the smell of leaking oil cooking on everything, and wires burning from Lucas electronics.

I do have a few pics of my RX7...

Hope ya catch the plate.

#ChicagoMeetup
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-07-17 08:30 PM
    Helmet? What Helmet? Sorry I was uhhh ... staring at your car. Please tell us a bit about it.

Indeed, the death of the manual transmission is a very sad thing (in much the same way the death of the PKB is to keyboard purists).
    It's a 430 that has gradually seen more and more track time the last couple years. It's a fun steer. It's still mostly stock other than rotors/pads. These things are pretty unreliable if you just drive to cars and coffee and put them away, but if you drive them the way God intended, they're actually pretty solid cars. They just want to be driven hard.

Very smooth, alive, communicative and rewarding when you get to its limits. Pretty decent soundtrack as well.

Good news from Porsche on the manual front, they reintroduced the manual to the GT3! Gotta be the first case I think of where a car lost the manual and then got it back in a refresh. So at least they're still committed to the manual purists. Apparently it's a great manual, too, one of their best ever.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-07-17 09:09 PM
    Getrag?

I hear ya about truly driving them, man. Dogging only creates a dog, that's constantly in the shop.
    03-07-17 09:14 PM
    Getrag?

I hear ya about truly driving them, man. Dogging only creates a dog, that's constantly in the shop.
    Don't who makes it actually. I have a couple of hours of track time in GT4's and I love that tranny. People who have driven the new 6-speed in the R say it's even better, and that's the one now in the GT3. I have dreams about the shifter in the GT4.

Italian tune-ups! Very important, often overlooked part of proper car maintenance.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-07-17 09:18 PM
    Italian tune-ups!
    So nice to see someone else knows the term!
    03-07-17 09:49 PM
    ICU @toobs623

Get posting buster!!!

#ChicagoMeetup
    03-07-17 09:54 PM
81 123 ...