View Poll Results: Why Do you NOT Like Cops?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Had a Bad Expierence At one point, where a cop was completely Rude to me for no reason

29 23.77%
  • I Just dont Like cops...

11 9.02%
  • I have reasons...(Please, Share them below..No Judgement passed by us)

15 12.30%
  • I Like Cops, I've never had a problem with them

66 54.10%
  • Other - (Please explain again in a Reply)

8 6.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Hi Folks, Former LEO here.

I am reminded of when I saw a young child waving at me and the parents grabbed the child and said not to talk to the Police Officer that he would take them to jail.
    I got slightly perturbed at that remark and replied that No, I wasn't going to take the child to jail, but I might take the parent to jail for saying something like that. Of course this was also in Red Neck South Carolina in the early 1980's where we had to fight everyone that had to be arrested. (it was the way it was at that time).

Sad that it is still the same bad attitudes that parents teach their children because of their ignorance.
    This is a common occurrence. I have actually seen mothers smack their kids in the back of the head when they said hello. There are some people that just teach their kids to hate cops. Sometimes though parents are trying to be funny when they aren't. I always stop and tell the kid "No don't worry I won't do that". It's messed up but thats the society we live in now.
    04-05-09 04:31 PM
    I hate that...stop telling your children that the police officer, that happens to walk by when your child is acting up, is going to arrest your child. Discipline your child without using us. Stop making them scared of us so they will easily approach us if they're in trouble.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-09 04:37 PM
    I hate that...stop telling your children that the police officer, that happens to walk by when your child is acting up, is going to arrest your child. Discipline your child without using us. Stop making them scared of us so they will easily approach us if they're in trouble.
    To go along with this, THANK GOD ya Said it Cj!, We're here to enforce the laws...Not Discipline your Kids for you.
    04-06-09 07:42 AM
    Now wait a minute! I thought I could have a bunch of kids, get supported by the government and sit back and let the police discipline my kids. I don't want the responsibility, I just want the MONEY

04-06-09 07:59 AM
    In response to you Doc, we cant pick and choose the laws we enforce, we HAVE to enforce them all. Since your a volunteer firefighter, that be like saying I wish yall wouldnt work as many wrecks, instead I wish yall would get more cats out of the trees.

And just to throw in there, the guy doing 70 is just as much a hazard as the guy weaving. He could have a blow out and wreck and hit an "innocents" car while doing 70. Or, when one of your family members gets in a head on with a guy doing 70, can we say we dont enforce the speed laws?

The reason the laws are there is because somewhere at sometime there was somebody that proved that whatever they were doin is a danger to other people, so they make a law that forbides that action. As much as I wish we could just enforce some laws and not others, we cant. Every sworn officer took an oath to uphold all the laws (not just a chosen few).

Im not flamming, just giving you some things you may not have thought about.
    You can't pick and choose the laws to enforce? Outside of the major felonies that you have to take police action on here, we have discretion, which is a very good thing, because everybody doesn't deserve to get hammered. There are a lot of cops in other places that take things a little too far, with a judge dredd sylvester stallone "the law is the law" attitude, lol. For instance, after hurricane katrina there were about 300 of us from my dept (nypd) that went down to new orleans to help out. We were all in nypd marked vehicles and went down, worked our asses off for a while, and then returned to new york. We traveled in a convoy of course, and on the way back our convoy of about three hundred with lights on staying together (no siren, regular cruising speed) going through virginia north bound on I95 was cut off and our point vehicle pushed aside by a virginia state trooper, with our whole convoy of 300 pulling over. He stopped us all, and starting yelling at the driver of the point vehicle first who got out saying it was illegal to have red lights in the state of virginia! Our brass ended up arguing back with him, asking if he was for real. He was making a big magilla out of it, and decided to call for his boss. His boss came over while we were waiting, and when he got there he let this guy have it and apologized to our bosses. This guy was unbelievable, he was the robocop type that has nothing to do at work, goes home and watches cops, and likes to let everybody he comes across that he is one. Without wandering off too far, point being not everything has to be enforced. There are so many different situations, how they go down, so many factors, so many different types of people with different attitudes, and so many different types of cops with different attitudes, that you can't ask a question about a particular situation somebody was in, wondering why the cop hammered them or ask a cop how they would react in that situation if they aren't in that particular situation. Every situation is different. Every cop is different. Yeah, murder, rape, other major felonies you gotta make a collar, but all the violations and petty things, there is discretion. Remember that cop down south that chased the NFL running back and his family to the hospital where he was going to his dying mother, and then held him at gunpoint?... The department apologized, and canned him... Sure, I guess the cop could try and articulate he was driving recklessly and not stopping for the police, and putting peoples lives at risk in the process. But you have to use discretion. Now if he had hit somebody and killed them, that would turn into an entirely different thing, but it went down like it went down. The cop took it personally and wanted to be a crime fighting machine that enforces all laws because it is the law, and now he'll be lucky to get a job as a mall security guard in whatever little town he lives in. A whole career down the drain in less than five minutes.

04-06-09 08:42 AM
    I used to be called Rookie-itis. All rookies get a little badge heavy. Most grow out of it, but some never do.
    We had then here in South Carolina.

There is also such a thing as Letter of the law and Spirit of the law.
    Many need to learn that there is a difference.
    04-06-09 08:50 AM
    Along w The Letter of Law, and the Spirit of Law comes Officer Discretion...While that Virgina Trooper was probably a Rookie...Every one of us was too at one point...I wouldn't pull the whole line over...I wouldn't pull any of them...

Sad to say that some will, and when they do...It makes the rest of us look bad

04-06-09 09:17 AM
    I'm sitting here working traffic today and wondered....what are your favorite violations to stop for?

04-06-09 11:17 AM
    There is a difference in enforcing the law and officer discretion. I agree that the severity of the crime should dictate how its handeled. But discretion and enforcing the law are two different things.

Someone speeds. I pull them over (thats enforcing the law). I decide to cut them a break for whatever reason (officer discretion). Now I have effectively enforced the law (because of my interaction and warning, that person hopefully wont speed again) and exercised discretion (by just giving a warning).

Do you not agree that we can still enforce the laws and have discretion? I dont know about you, but when I took the oath it stated "all laws of the State of Mississippi and all laws of the United States of America".

You can enforce the laws without hammering the less severe ones too.

Just my .02
    04-06-09 02:49 PM
    I'm sitting here working traffic today and wondered....what are your favorite violations to stop for?

Around here, the biggest problems we have are the college kids speeding through the school zones. Its not uncommon for a 50 or 60 mph in the 25 mph school zone right in front of the elementary school
    04-06-09 02:51 PM
    Can't say much on a favorite violation...Have a buddy who was the king of sending the older croud in for retesting for their DL...

Although...I'd have to say DUR/DUS would be on the top of my list...LOL

04-06-09 04:46 PM
    DUR/DUS? Is that revoked/suspended?

04-06-09 04:48 PM
    Yeah Chris...Requires nothing more than a Proof of Service and a quick trip to the Jail...Its pretty easy

04-06-09 04:51 PM
    Just checking. We use DWR/DWS. Ours get a report, tickets, then a ride to jail.

04-06-09 04:54 PM
    Needs more of a punishment though...1000 fine for the 1st offense, Then an extra 1000 per subsequent offense...Unless you've got a DUI/DWAI on your driving history...Then it goes up a Bunch, with the potential for HTO

04-06-09 04:55 PM
    I was taking my kids to school about a year and a half ago and got pulled over for 10 over, well I was going 7 over but wasn't about to argue with the officer - I'm one of those guys who know you have a difficult job and is always polite. Anyway, after the officer ran my license, he came back and said "get those kids to school!" and let me off with a warning. Thank God! My then 11 and 13 year old girl and boy learned you guys can be nice - FYI I do have a pretty good record, no tickets in ten years,

I have to tell you about something that happened last year to my wife. She was driving (my car ) down the main drag in Parker Colorado when a couch came off the back of a truck going the other way and hit the front of my car. She pulled over and called dispatch for an officer. In a couple minutes an officer drove by her to the truck a little ways past her on the other side of the road. He got out of his patrol car, helped the guy put the couch into the back of the pickup, and they both drove away! long story short, we were out the deductible but we got a nice apology from the internal affairs lieutenant who investigated.

Last edited by exelant; 04-06-09 at 06:02 PM.
    04-06-09 05:56 PM
    Well I am a ppo and while I must say my post is quiet, I just had a little excitement. Two vehicle incident, no damage to either vehicle and the "at fault" part (I use the term loosly) did stay at the scene while I found the owner of the victum vehicle. I would have been ticked if they left. But they did the right thing and stayed.

04-07-09 01:20 AM
    Ok I do not know if this borders legal advice or not. If it does skip it and go to the bottom.

But what kind of charges can be pressed on a person who owns you money? I have a guy who use to be my friend. He would ask me for money. At first it was a small loan like around 20 dollars. Then it went up to up to 300 for a new phone. What really ticked me was one day he borrowed my iPod (back in the day when I was an apple fan lol) (and it was a 5th gen iPod so valued back then at 298 with taxes) never gave it back to me or the money. Well he came up with a big fat lie to cover up that he sold the iPod. He said that the iPod battery "blew" up and melted his hand. I knew right off the bat this was a lie because I never saw any visible mark or scars on his hands. All in all he owes me about 500 or so dollars and a whole slew of other people their money. The only problem in my part is that this happened two years ago. I never got around to asking anyone due to the fact that I was afraid to ask. Again what kind of charges could be brought on this person?

Now for part two haha.

Officers what was your wildest police chase? (if you have done one that is)
    04-07-09 09:24 AM
    Ok I do not know if this borders legal advice or not. If it does skip it and go to the bottom.

But what kind of charges can be pressed on a person who owns you money? I have a guy who use to be my friend. He would ask me for money. At first it was a small loan like around 20 dollars. Then it went up to up to 300 for a new phone. What really ticked me was one day he borrowed my iPod (back in the day when I was an apple fan lol) (and it was a 5th gen iPod so valued back then at 298 with taxes) never gave it back to me or the money. Well he came up with a big fat lie to cover up that he sold the iPod. He said that the iPod battery "blew" up and melted his hand. I knew right off the bat this was a lie because I never saw any visible mark or scars on his hands. All in all he owes me about 500 or so dollars and a whole slew of other people their money. The only problem in my part is that this happened two years ago. I never got around to asking anyone due to the fact that I was afraid to ask. Again what kind of charges could be brought on this person?

Now for part two haha.

1) Him owing you money would be a civil process not a criminal. As you stated you willingly gave him the money and the ipod. You will have to file a civil suit.

2) My wildest chase wasnt really a high speed chase (never got over 50 mph) but when this guy ran from me in a stolen U-Haul truck
    04-07-09 01:46 PM
    Well I happen to like cops! I am an RN and ever since I got my professional NY plates that say RN everytime I have been pulled over each and every cop, state troopers included let me go! Yes I've been known to have a lead foot but it has been over a year since I got pulled over because kinda figured they will get me soon! Even been pulled over b� the same cop twice in one year and he remembered me and let me go! My husband was in NYC and got pulled over last month and the cop asked my hubby who the RN was and my stated my wife. The cop said go home and thank your wife you're not getting a ticket! There seems to be a certain respect bewteen nurses and cops! I have also been told by a cop that I was lucky I was a nurse because if I was a MD he wouldn't have let me go! LOL.
    Mrsstraty

04-07-09 04:05 PM
    this guy ran from me in a stolen U-Haul truck
    Hahahahaha... whatta dumbass.
    04-07-09 04:20 PM

Now for part two haha.

1. - Small Claims, That's Where I Would Take That...
    2. - Can't Say much about a wild chase, But I Did witness a Bad @ss accident transporting a Prisioner from Pueblo to Jefferson County here in Colorado...Was good times, Crappy thing is, We Couldnt Stop...And Aren't ALLOWED to stop...Even if we were involved in the accident
    04-07-09 10:22 PM
    Thanks for the help guys .

Who would steal a U haul truck and how would you in the first place?
    04-08-09 08:53 AM
    okay i was watching chappelle show a while back and there was this one skit where the guy got shot in his leg and they said it was smart because shooting above the waist it called attempted murder.....is it true that if you shoot someone below the waist it aint attempted murder? O_O
    04-08-09 12:54 PM
    Okay, If you were to shoot someone, even below the waist...Its still attempted murder...Its based on the whole situation...Shooting someone, can be looked at as murder...Unless its in self defense...or based on the circumstances of why you shot the other person...

BUT that's for the General public, If you (the general public) were to point a gun at ANY cop, I can tell you from my training...I'm going home to my family at the end of the day...Its as simple as that...

I hope that answeres your question...

04-08-09 01:04 PM
997 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD