View Poll Results: Why Do you NOT Like Cops?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Had a Bad Expierence At one point, where a cop was completely Rude to me for no reason

29 23.77%
  • I Just dont Like cops...

11 9.02%
  • I have reasons...(Please, Share them below..No Judgement passed by us)

15 12.30%
  • I Like Cops, I've never had a problem with them

66 54.10%
  • Other - (Please explain again in a Reply)

8 6.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I'm going to wait until I get home to tackle this one, I don't want to kill my battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-09 11:55 AM
    I got a ticket for doing 71 in a 65...

That makes me sad.

07-07-09 02:28 PM

That makes me sad.

I'd Say...Slow Down Then, and ya wont get a Ticket
    07-07-09 03:01 PM
    I was going with the flow of traffic.

It was my first ticket- Regardless, who the heck sticks to 65 on I80-
    07-07-09 03:03 PM
    I'm going to wait until I get home to tackle this one, I don't want to kill my battery.

Always Up for a Challenge! As Long as you keep it respectful, Then you'll be respected....Be nice to see someone else in here with a legitimate question (not that these haven't been fun) But it sounds like you've got a couple good ones up your sleeve
    07-07-09 03:03 PM
    I was going with the flow of traffic.

It was my first ticket- Regardless, who the heck sticks to 65 on I80-
    Depends on Where ya are! If it's Through Cornhusker Country...ya Best just stick with the speed limit! Those Nebraska Troopers are always out huntin'
    07-07-09 03:04 PM
    ya it might be bad practice but its my right to not have to tell you if i have a weapon unless of course you asked or i was being put under arrest and nor do i have to let you search my vehicle with out a search warrant and i dont have to tell you anything with out my lawyer present
    I Would agree with that, But ANY Cop (And I mean ANY of us on here, or on the Streets) is ALWAYS going to ask you if you have any weapons in the vehicle...If they Dont (And The guys on here will back me up) Then It's their own complacency that will land them in trouble
    07-07-09 03:05 PM
    Being a cop must be scary.

I don't know how my dad did it.

Gotta have brass balls.
    07-07-09 03:13 PM

That makes me sad.

b glad it was only a ticket... in cali (at least is was when i left) 10 over can get u a ticket, nad 20+ over WILL get your car towed.

the one thing about california, and i sincierly believe what i am about to say:

the law out there is (or was) "Never faster than is safer for contidions" they use this to get you for going fast when the road conditions are bad. BUT if traffic is going 65 in a 60 (or whatever) then is going 60 safe for conditions? because the fact of the matter is, even tho everyone else is speeding YOU ARE going to be the cause of the accident, becuase someone is going to either hit u or you are gonig to cause a traffic jam or accident.

i so know peeps are going to have something (probably bad) to say about this.
    Last edited by chelseytx; 07-07-09 at 03:17 PM.
    07-07-09 03:14 PM
    I wasn't even doing 10 over
    07-07-09 03:15 PM
    Diesel- its nothing bad, I just have a lot to say in this regard. Ill definitely be respectful too.
    Should be posted later this evening!

07-07-09 03:29 PM
    Plus, I would hate typing for an hour on this tiny pearl keyboard only to have it deleted at the last second because of something stupid I did.

07-07-09 03:30 PM
    Plus, I would hate typing for an hour on this tiny pearl keyboard only to have it deleted at the last second because of something stupid I did.

Understandable! There seems to be a lot of people on here who REALLY dislike what we do, and Who we are...Truthfully, A Good question will bring out the Boys (Chris, Kevin, Cj, Tim (our UK Cop) Todd (Our Canadian Cop) and myself) It's really a simple concept...And a lot of people are afraid to ask cops questions...Still not sure why, But they are...That's why I started this thread...

Do remember though (And as I said when I started this) We DO NOT give out legal advice, We Can't...That's breaking the law...And something we will not do...Otherwise, We're GLAD to answer Questions!
    Nate
    07-07-09 03:34 PM
    i know, just saying...

get this: the FIRST TIME i get pulled over i am in cali, out there they have CHP which is Califoronia Highway Patrol. (you know, like the show ChiPs?) anyway, i was on the ROAD, not freeway and i am behind the cop, and all of a sudden he jerks his car over, lets me pass then jerks behind me and lights me up. im like "wtf? i didnt do anything!!!"

so he gets out (and i should mentoion that i was behind him doing the speed limit and NOT passing him because EVERYONE ELSE was and going over - i was more worried about a speeding tix then anything) so he gets out and say "u know why i stopped u?" i said "no." he says well, when we are in a marked we dont like to see somebody tailgating us." um, okay? i wasnt, but whatever. anyway he said, "you were following to closely and thats why i stopped you be careful and dont do it again."

okay whatever. hes gone and i look at my friend next to me and slap his arm and say "wth? why didnt u tell me i was close?" because i didnt, and still dont, think i was. my friends responce? "i didnt think u WERE that close." okay fine. he didnt give me a ticket and also, he was a rookie and no where near a freeway. i chalked it up to never, he prob just got off something and saw me... go figure..... ::sigh::
    Last edited by chelseytx; 07-07-09 at 03:41 PM.
    07-07-09 03:37 PM
    Understandable! There seems to be a lot of people on here who REALLY dislike what we do, and Who we are...Truthfully, A Good question will bring out the Boys (Chris, Kevin, Cj, Tim (our UK Cop) Todd (Our Canadian Cop) and myself) It's really a simple concept...And a lot of people are afraid to ask cops questions...Still not sure why, But they are...That's why I started this thread...

Do remember though (And as I said when I started this) We DO NOT give out legal advice, We Can't...That's breaking the law...And something we will not do...Otherwise, We're GLAD to answer Questions!
    Nate
    why r they afraid? ha! becuase they prob think u r going to find them and arrest them
    07-07-09 03:38 PM
    Being a cop must be scary.

I don't know how my dad did it.

Gotta have brass balls.
    yeah, do yall have tru TV out there? if so, watch it sometime, the things these cops go thru make u want to curl up in a ball and never leave home... more then just props to them! (and your dad)
    07-07-09 03:42 PM
    Sorry in advance for such a long post.

So I don't have alot of questions. This is mostly experience/opinions about police i have to share. I enjoyed reading this thread out of curiosity so I just thought I'd share too.

First of all, I have enormous respect for anyone in a field of work where you could potentially die (for a good cause) anyday of the week. This includes, but is not limited to law enforcement, firefighting, paramedics, military etc. It's a noble and powerful position to be in where we, the public trust our lives in your hands. I'm sure it can be a burden at times so out of respect I want to thank you all for what you do and wish that you lead a long, successful career without incident.

That being said, I'll start with a little background information on myself for perspective. I'm a typical 25 year old male, I like to have a good time and sometimes I get a little wild.
    But I am responsible. I've never been arrested and for the most part stay out of any serious trouble.

When I was in high school, I used to drive like I a moron and act generally like I was invicible (and when I look back I can't believe I didn't get caught more often then I did.) But my main problem was speeding tickets. I used to get a ticket a month in the town I grew up in. Now of course I am to blame for my own stupidity, I admit that. But most the cops in this particular town were on a power trip and loved to harass kids my age. I know this does not reflect every officer out there and you have to take my word for it but I'm not exaggerating when I say that almost all of these guys were jerks. Never anything malicious or dangerous but you had to watch your back constantly even if you weren't speeding.

Now the town, which is in small-town Mississippi had basically no crime. I think in the last 65-70 years there's only been one shooting and one bank robbery. So the cops surely had nothing better to do and I don't mean that as an insult, just the way it is. Plus we had a police force that was ridiculous for the size of town we're talking about, there was literally a cop on every corner at all times. So the point being, the cops in my town were bored and strict and it showed.

So this one time...
    I was driving a back road to my house which is basically thru the boonies. I drive past this notoriously steep hill that my friends and I used to jump in our trucks (I know, I know) when a sheriff comes up from behind with his lights on. I stop and he asks if I know why he pulled me over. I say no because I honestly don't know. I wasn't speeding, I was actually driving slower than I normally would, just sort of cruising leisurely. Well he tells me I was speeding and accuses me of trying to jump the previously mentioned hill. I tell him he must be mistaken and I was not speeding or trying to jump the hill (verbatim). I never saw the officer before he came up behind me but I know where he was. Before the hill there's a small neighborhood on the right, the only thing for a couple miles so he must have been down that road. Out of habit, I used to look down that road every time I passed and this particular day I did not see the officer on the road. This leads me to believe that my vehicle could not have been in plain enough sight for him to judge if I was speeding or not. The visibility down that road is approximately half a mile and behind its even farther and I do check my mirrors.
    Anyway, he writes me a ticket for careless driving (because our deputies did not have radar and could not write speeding tickets) and is less than cordial. He's not the worst cop I've ever dealt with but no one could mistake him for friendly and I was as respectful as I could possibly be. I was honest with him from the get-go, called him sir the whole time, kept my hands on the wheel, engine off, seatbelt on. I had all my documents at the ready, everything was in order. He tells me if I want to fight the ticket, be in court on the date written on there.
    So I go to court to try and reason with the judge. The officer apparently wasn't informed I was in court to protest the ticket today so I wait. Nearly 2 hours later he shows up laughing and joking with the guards in the courthouse about how much of a waste of time this is. It's obvious I can hear him and he makes no effort to hide it. And he was right, it was a complete waste of time. The judge did not care what I had to say and there was no hard evidence for my case so he sided with the officer. And who can blame him? I'm some high school kid and he's an officer of the law and its his word against mine. Case closed.

I tried to tell this story without any kind of bias but the point is I got screwed that day. I wasted 4 hours of my time sitting in a court room being looked down upon by my peers as if I were nothing, no one, just another check in the bank. I had to pay the court over $200 and, needless to say I felt I couldn't trust our justice system anymore. I KNOW I did nothing wrong in this particular case and no one cared.

Honestly, I like cops. The majority of officers I've dealt with have been nice even when I was being cited or just being a pain in the a**. There were even a couple times I should have gone to jail (for something pretty minor) but didn't because the officers honestly cared about my well-being and were just checking if everything was ok.
    But that is a majority by a slim percentage mind you. To this day, I will go out of my way to avoid an officer of the law unless absolutely necessary. I don't feel like this is all my fault, I was conditioned to be this way. I fear our law enforcement, our government. I fear that they can steal my money or my freedom with a piece of paper with my name on it and I can't do anything about it. A little melodramatic I know but it is a true story.

Have you ever seen this happen?
    Is there honestly anyway I can protect myself from this happening again aside from legal action?

I hope someone reads that whole thing, it took forever to type it up!
    07-08-09 12:04 AM
    I'll get a reply out to ya as soon as I get things rolling this morning!

07-08-09 08:58 AM
    Sorry in advance for such a long post.

So I don't have alot of questions. This is mostly experience/opinions about police i have to share. I enjoyed reading this thread out of curiosity so I just thought I'd share too.

First of all, I have enormous respect for anyone in a field of work where you could potentially die (for a good cause) anyday of the week. This includes, but is not limited to law enforcement, firefighting, paramedics, military etc. It's a noble and powerful position to be in where we, the public trust our lives in your hands. I'm sure it can be a burden at times so out of respect I want to thank you all for what you do and wish that you lead a long, successful career without incident.

That being said, I'll start with a little background information on myself for perspective. I'm a typical 25 year old male, I like to have a good time and sometimes I get a little wild.
    But I am responsible. I've never been arrested and for the most part stay out of any serious trouble.

When I was in high school, I used to drive like I a moron and act generally like I was invicible (and when I look back I can't believe I didn't get caught more often then I did.) But my main problem was speeding tickets. I used to get a ticket a month in the town I grew up in. Now of course I am to blame for my own stupidity, I admit that. But most the cops in this particular town were on a power trip and loved to harass kids my age. I know this does not reflect every officer out there and you have to take my word for it but I'm not exaggerating when I say that almost all of these guys were jerks. Never anything malicious or dangerous but you had to watch your back constantly even if you weren't speeding.

Now the town, which is in small-town Mississippi had basically no crime. I think in the last 65-70 years there's only been one shooting and one bank robbery. So the cops surely had nothing better to do and I don't mean that as an insult, just the way it is. Plus we had a police force that was ridiculous for the size of town we're talking about, there was literally a cop on every corner at all times. So the point being, the cops in my town were bored and strict and it showed.

So this one time...
    I was driving a back road to my house which is basically thru the boonies. I drive past this notoriously steep hill that my friends and I used to jump in our trucks (I know, I know) when a sheriff comes up from behind with his lights on. I stop and he asks if I know why he pulled me over. I say no because I honestly don't know. I wasn't speeding, I was actually driving slower than I normally would, just sort of cruising leisurely. Well he tells me I was speeding and accuses me of trying to jump the previously mentioned hill. I tell him he must be mistaken and I was not speeding or trying to jump the hill (verbatim). I never saw the officer before he came up behind me but I know where he was. Before the hill there's a small neighborhood on the right, the only thing for a couple miles so he must have been down that road. Out of habit, I used to look down that road every time I passed and this particular day I did not see the officer on the road. This leads me to believe that my vehicle could not have been in plain enough sight for him to judge if I was speeding or not. The visibility down that road is approximately half a mile and behind its even farther and I do check my mirrors.
    Anyway, he writes me a ticket for careless driving (because our deputies did not have radar and could not write speeding tickets) and is less than cordial. He's not the worst cop I've ever dealt with but no one could mistake him for friendly and I was as respectful as I could possibly be. I was honest with him from the get-go, called him sir the whole time, kept my hands on the wheel, engine off, seatbelt on. I had all my documents at the ready, everything was in order. He tells me if I want to fight the ticket, be in court on the date written on there.
    So I go to court to try and reason with the judge. The officer apparently wasn't informed I was in court to protest the ticket today so I wait. Nearly 2 hours later he shows up laughing and joking with the guards in the courthouse about how much of a waste of time this is. It's obvious I can hear him and he makes no effort to hide it. And he was right, it was a complete waste of time. The judge did not care what I had to say and there was no hard evidence for my case so he sided with the officer. And who can blame him? I'm some high school kid and he's an officer of the law and its his word against mine. Case closed.

I tried to tell this story without any kind of bias but the point is I got screwed that day. I wasted 4 hours of my time sitting in a court room being looked down upon by my peers as if I were nothing, no one, just another check in the bank. I had to pay the court over $200 and, needless to say I felt I couldn't trust our justice system anymore. I KNOW I did nothing wrong in this particular case and no one cared.

Honestly, I like cops. The majority of officers I've dealt with have been nice even when I was being cited or just being a pain in the a**. There were even a couple times I should have gone to jail (for something pretty minor) but didn't because the officers honestly cared about my well-being and were just checking if everything was ok.
    But that is a majority by a slim percentage mind you. To this day, I will go out of my way to avoid an officer of the law unless absolutely necessary. I don't feel like this is all my fault, I was conditioned to be this way. I fear our law enforcement, our government. I fear that they can steal my money or my freedom with a piece of paper with my name on it and I can't do anything about it. A little melodramatic I know but it is a true story.

Have you ever seen this happen?
    Is there honestly anyway I can protect myself from this happening again aside from legal action?

I hope someone reads that whole thing, it took forever to type it up!
    Couple of things on this.. I'm not being mean in any way please understand this.. I have been a police officer for nearly 7 years and I can give you an answer to part of your issue; however, sometimes the truth hurts. Much like many of us, your actions as a juvenile seemed to have followed you into adulthood life. By your own admittance you were a he|| raiser and got a lot of tickets. Consider the story of the boy who cried wolf, he cried for help many times when he did not need it, that when he did need it, no one helped. The judge found you guilty in part partly because you have shown a "Trend" of not being able to follow the motor vehicle laws of your state. The testimony of the officer merely reaffirmed that. People must realize that the actions that they take today, will affect them even years down the road. You may not have been speeding that day and you may not have been trying to jump that hill, but because you have shown the court of you inability to drive carefully, you never really stood a chance to fight this charge. It it right? Maybe not, but you put a lot of doubt in the judges mind without even speaking a word. The cop may have been a J erk , there a lot of J erk Cops out there. We are not perfect and yes we make mistakes, this includes me. Best of luck in your future driving.

To the rest of you who said "I dont know how you do it", I'll end this post with a statement that was made to me by a very old, wise officer.

"We do not get paid for what we know or do, we get paid for what we may be called upon to do."

GodSpeed
    07-08-09 12:11 PM
    I tried looking throught this whole thread, but 50 pages is a lot. Couple questions - why do the police pull over a kid with a loud muffler on his car because its "too loud", but let Harley owners with NO MUFFLERS go buy without a problem? The bikes are WAY louder. Also, what's your take on HIDs in cars that weren't built for them? Just wondering.
    07-08-09 12:20 PM
    I tried looking throught this whole thread, but 50 pages is a lot. Couple questions - why do the police pull over a kid with a loud muffler on his car because its "too loud", but let Harley owners with NO MUFFLERS go buy without a problem? The bikes are WAY louder. Also, what's your take on HIDs in cars that weren't built for them? Just wondering.
    Truthfully, that depends on the City...I've been contacted because my Truck doesn't have a muffler,It's Stacked LOL...Even my Sheriff and Undersheriff have mentioned it a few times LOL!
    Truthfully...larger cities often have a sound ordinance, and every now and then, you'll see a HD stopped for a noise complaint...

As far as HID's go...They don't bother me, Actucally thought about buying them for my truck once or twice...

07-08-09 12:24 PM
    Couple of things on this.. I'm not being mean in any way please understand this.. I have been a police officer for nearly 7 years and I can give you an answer to part of your issue; however, sometimes the truth hurts. Much like many of us, your actions as a juvenile seemed to have followed you into adulthood life. By your own admittance you were a he|| raiser and got a lot of tickets. Consider the story of the boy who cried wolf, he cried for help many times when he did not need it, that when he did need it, no one helped. The judge found you guilty in part partly because you have shown a "Trend" of not being able to follow the motor vehicle laws of your state. The testimony of the officer merely reaffirmed that. People must realize that the actions that they take today, will affect them even years down the road. You may not have been speeding that day and you may not have been trying to jump that hill, but because you have shown the court of you inability to drive carefully, you never really stood a chance to fight this charge. It it right? Maybe not, but you put a lot of doubt in the judges mind without even speaking a word. The cop may have been a J erk , there a lot of J erk Cops out there. We are not perfect and yes we make mistakes, this includes me. Best of luck in your future driving.

To the rest of you who said "I dont know how you do it", I'll end this post with a statement that was made to me by a very old, wise officer.

"We do not get paid for what we know or do, we get paid for what we may be called upon to do."

GodSpeed
    Thanks for your response. I understand you're not being mean and I agree that the past is something you can't escape. I did however plead my case to the judge, I just left that out of the story for times sake. The judge was actually worse than the officer, he was extremely impatient with me when I obviously had no idea what I was doing. He was following his judge script and when I started to ask what a question he asked meant he would interrupt me and tell me the answer I needed to tell him. It made no difference, I was basically interchangeable with any other teenager that came into that courtroom to him.

One thing about the boy who cried wolf... I never cried before. I accepted all the tickets I received if I knew I deserved them (I know this doesn't really make a difference, just wanted you to know) and this one instance is the only time I actually felt I did nothing wrong. And if I remember correctly, at this point I didn't have a terrible track record but I'm sure it wasn't great. One major concern is that I never saw the officer in the first place and, as I stated before, he could only have been down 1 street. I'm not sure if he even saw me at all before pulling me over, he may just have been flying up behind me without any idea I was in front of him and then there I was. I know that's far-fetched and I doubt it's the truth but you get the point.

If I really was speeding I would have accepted the charge no problem. But if I wasn't doing anything wrong and I get pulled over and get a ticket, that's different. Because of my record, I couldn't fight the charge but I should never have received the citation in the first place. That's my main problem here.

Anyway thanks again, I'll try to think of some other questions to post.
    Last edited by RobotnumberOne; 07-08-09 at 12:45 PM.
    07-08-09 12:32 PM
    Anyway thanks again, I'll try to think of some other questions to post.
    He beat me to the response LOL! But you're more than welcome!

The only thing I WOULD add is that mistakes do and can haunt you for a long time...If your thinking
    About being a cop especially! I can remember when I was applying for agencies and had one turn
    Me down because of a ticket I was issued in 1997 for APPARENTLY having my stereo turned up too loud
    In the POS Neon I had...Long story short...I had to write out a 5 page essay and turn it into the courts
    On what Bass does to your ears...What pissed me off, It wasn't even my car LOL! A Sub woulda rattled that thing to the ground LOL

07-08-09 02:29 PM
    I dont really mess with loud exhaust at all, however Va Code states that if the car was not equipped with such equipment and it was not approved by the Superintendent of the State Police, it is not legal equipment. You cannot replace your headlight housings or alter your headlights in any way. (To include HID's)
    07-08-09 02:35 PM
    I can remember when I was applying for agencies and had one turn
    Me down because of a ticket I was issued in 1997 for APPARENTLY having my stereo turned up too loud
    In the POS Neon I had...Long story short...I had to write out a 5 page essay and turn it into the courts
    On what Bass does to your ears...What pissed me off, It wasn't even my car LOL! A Sub woulda rattled that thing to the ground LOL

That is the reason I was so upset about this particular incident, I did nothing wrong. Man I wish I could've just written an essay instead of paying a ticket.
    07-08-09 02:40 PM
997 ... 2829303132 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD