View Poll Results: Why Do you NOT Like Cops?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Had a Bad Expierence At one point, where a cop was completely Rude to me for no reason

29 23.77%
  • I Just dont Like cops...

11 9.02%
  • I have reasons...(Please, Share them below..No Judgement passed by us)

15 12.30%
  • I Like Cops, I've never had a problem with them

66 54.10%
  • Other - (Please explain again in a Reply)

8 6.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    That's touchy...could pull to a violation of privacy...But I have to ask...Why is it in your car in the first place?
    No offense, but that's the first time I've ever come across someone saying that they record people in their POV

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well, I wouldn't think it would fall under privacy act because you're outside in plain view of the public without the assumption of privacy like say a phone call.
    The reason for it is many. Security, protection, safety. That and my love of gadgets. This is the system I use..OBS, Inc. - Car Cameras - Video Surveillance and Security Systems

Here some pics of my install.

The forward facing camera.

My center console holds the DVR unit.

The drivers side camera. That small hole is the camera.

The monitor is in the overhead console in the garage door opener compartment.
    06-05-09 10:30 PM
    There are four cameras. Front, rear, left and right views. And 2 mic's. One inside one out.
    06-05-09 10:36 PM
    No offense intended, I got a kick out of your last sentance about doing a job and the pay...
    I would say a lot of it depends on your state, background and so forth...Ya can add me to your BBM if ya have
    Any questions too... pin:20de4bab
    Nate

Hey there Diesel. If a pollice officer pulls you over and ask to search your vehicle, and you refuse, they can wait for a search warrant right? Do you have to sit there and wait while they get the warrant, or are you allowed to drive off.

And just a curiosity question. I live in Canada, firearms are a hot topic. You have to go through weeks of stuff to get a gun, and even then you have to call some company when you want to take the gun to a range or whatever. Are you guys actually allowed to carry around a loaded gun? Or do you have to keep the clip seperate or anything?
    06-05-09 10:39 PM
    Hey there Diesel. If a pollice officer pulls you over and ask to search your vehicle, and you refuse, they can wait for a search warrant right? Do you have to sit there and wait while they get the warrant, or are you allowed to drive off.

And just a curiosity question. I live in Canada, firearms are a hot topic. You have to go through weeks of stuff to get a gun, and even then you have to call some company when you want to take the gun to a range or whatever. Are you guys actually allowed to carry around a loaded gun? Or do you have to keep the clip seperate or anything?
    I think laws in Canada are totally different than they are here in the states...
    What I'm going to do is refer your question to one of our Canadian Officers...
    You wouldn't be permitted to drive away here, that changes the whole context
    Of the stop...

Secondly, I'd rather let a Patrol or Road officer answer this, eventhough I'm a state certified officer, I'm assigned to the jail,
    So I don't run traffic constantly...

We'll get an answer for ya here in the next couple!

06-05-09 11:55 PM
    There are four cameras. Front, rear, left and right views. And 2 mic's. One inside one out.
    Petty cool no doubt, and I guess as long as you know its being recorded,
    I would say it doesn't really qualify as an illegal activity..

But why do ya have them? Kinda has me curious

06-05-09 11:58 PM
    I think laws in Canada are totally different than they are here in the states...
    What I'm going to do is refer your question to one of our Canadian Officers...
    You wouldn't be permitted to drive away here, that changes the whole context
    Of the stop...

Secondly, I'd rather let a Patrol or Road officer answer this, eventhough I'm a state certified officer, I'm assigned to the jail,
    So I don't run traffic constantly...

We'll get an answer for ya here in the next couple!

Oh okay, you more deal with the people when they get back to the police station? Kind of like that JAIL show?
    06-05-09 11:59 PM
    Oh okay, you more deal with the people when they get back to the police station? Kind of like that JAIL show?
    Yes and no...The certified guys on the day shifts work the courthouse and transports..
    I deal with everyone, but mainly in the jail after they've been arrested.

We (the certified guys in the jail) aren't trained to run traffic and so forth until we go to
    Patrol...That make more sense?

06-06-09 12:02 AM
    Yes and no...The certified guys on the day shifts work the courthouse and transports..
    I deal with everyone, but mainly in the jail after they've been arrested.

We (the certified guys in the jail) aren't trained to run traffic and so forth until we go to
    Patrol...That make more sense?

Still sounds like that Jail show You planning on working up to patrol?
    06-06-09 12:11 AM
    Still sounds like that Jail show You planning on working up to patrol?
    Yup, but not with this agency right now...With a baby on the way and my wife not living very close
    To where I work, I'd much rather be closer to home, rather than 2 hours away..
    So we'll see what happens, as of right now...I'm happy to work in the Jail, and regardless..
    I'm still a cop

06-06-09 12:32 AM
    Yup, but not with this agency right now...With a baby on the way and my wife not living very close
    To where I work, I'd much rather be closer to home, rather than 2 hours away..
    So we'll see what happens, as of right now...I'm happy to work in the Jail, and regardless..
    I'm still a cop

Oh that sucks man. No chance of moving closer to home? I think it would be more interesting working in the jail than it would out on the street
    06-06-09 12:44 AM
    That's touchy...could pull to a violation of privacy...But I have to ask...Why is it in your car in the first place?
    No offense, but that's the first time I've ever come across someone saying that they record people in their POV

Violation of privacy? A police officer has no reasonable expectation of privacy in his traffic patrol duties.
    06-06-09 01:29 AM
    Oh that sucks man. No chance of moving closer to home? I think it would be more interesting working in the jail than it would out on the street
    There is always a chance, right now its just not practical...
    The jail is a great place to start, teaches one how to talk with
    People, and in my oppinion, you get a different quality of Cop
    When thay come out of a jail to patrol, rather than just picking
    Up someone from the street with no jail expierence...Not saying that
    There aren't cops out there who suck because they never worked in
    A jail, but jails produce a different kind of officer...

06-06-09 07:02 AM
    And the little or no money thing I was referring to the training or schooling, not the pay. Made me laugh when I re-read that ha.

06-06-09 11:14 AM
    We'll leave this one open for discussion, and see how many of you ACTUCALLY want to ask a Cop a Question!

WHILE there are many of you on here that really dont care for Police, sometimes...People have questions, and That's what We'll leave this one up to..

Please Note Though, We WILL NOT run you through NCIC/CCIC to see if you have any Warrants out for your arrest, We WILL NOT run your Friends...And Certainly WILL NOT Provide you with ANY SORT of legal Advice...

Ask Anything you'd Like, Post your Oppinion about Police here if you feel the Need to, Regardless...There's Plenty of Police Officers (including myself) That will answer any questions presented...Within Reason of course!

Be Safe, And Ask Away!
    Do you enjoy your job?
    06-06-09 12:22 PM

My first question is ... What is the motor vehicle being searched for ???
    06-06-09 08:21 PM
    You know what drives me crazy?! Is all the cops I see driving around and doing things that I have been pulled over for - such as changing lanes with no signal, not coming to a complete stop, speeding,and talking on cell phones while driving. Sorry but I just had to vent. I have the upmost respect for most LEO's, but somethings just irritate me.

06-07-09 12:21 AM
    My first question is ... What is the motor vehicle being searched for ???
    Nothing... A police officer going off a hunch and asking to search your vehicle. Maybe he thinks there's drugs or guns in the trunk, who knows. So you say no. And he's going to sit there waiting for a warrant. Couldn't you be a pain, and be like "I'm really hungry, I need something to eat, follow me to Mcdonalds or something?" Or is there a way you could get around him getting a warrant to look?
    06-07-09 08:00 PM
    one thing i LOVE being a female, often alone, is the fact that i dont actually have to STOP (right away) when a cop lights me up. (in a dark location.) that i can just put my cautions on and keep going until i get to a lighted area. is this illegal in any state? and can i call 911 and let an operator know that i know they are behind me (so they dont think i am trying to run or anything) or do i need to call the regular non emergency number?
    06-07-09 08:27 PM
    like all ppl are not infallible cops arnt either i dont mind most but i prefer to deal with the men and woman who have a cpl of years under them
    06-07-09 09:09 PM
    Yes We do...We have to have probable cause to pull ya over...We Dont need a reason to run your plate though
    Or reasonable articulated suspicion

06-07-09 09:16 PM
    Nothing... A police officer going off a hunch and asking to search your vehicle. Maybe he thinks there's drugs or guns in the trunk, who knows. So you say no. And he's going to sit there waiting for a warrant. Couldn't you be a pain, and be like "I'm really hungry, I need something to eat, follow me to Mcdonalds or something?" Or is there a way you could get around him getting a warrant to look?
    Normally people who ask this type of question have something to hide.

Warrants are not given out from a paper towel dispenser. They are very detailed, lengthy and take several hours to write. On top of that they need to be read and approved or declined. So, chances are you won't be sitting there waiting for one to arrive. Now having said that, there several authorities under many statues that allow police to search without a warrant. If grounds exist and a warrant is required, your car is going to seized by the police for a length of time.

You do have a reasonable expectation of privacy and police are well aware of what those entail. If the police are asking questions about the contents of your car, there is a good reason for it. If you decline, your just raising their level of suspicion. However, if they have no reason to search and you decline, generally that maybe the end of it. However, once again, their search authorities without warrant my be valid. If grounds exist that they are requiring to search your car and asking you, it may only be to seek your co-operation. Further, should the police be acting under their legal search authority, conduct a lawful search, and you prevent them from executing their duties. You may find yourself in hot water even if you didn't have anything to hide. I'm not saying you don't have rights, but every situation is different, so I can't say what would or would not happen if you declined. I'm not here by any means to counsel you or give you advice. Should this happen to you as you described and you are unsure what to do, maybe consider requesting to call a lawyer for legal advice before you decide your answer.

Disclaimer: This information is not intended to constitute as general advice, legal advice or substitute for obtaining proper legal advice. You are free to use any of the information entirely at your own risk. Please note that in no way will I be responsible for any personal problems or legal issues that might occur, or any damage or loss sustained due to the use of information (or by me supplying inadequate or incomplete information).
    Last edited by fawkes; 06-08-09 at 09:40 AM. Reason: sp
    06-07-09 10:48 PM
    You know what drives me crazy?! Is all the cops I see driving around and doing things that I have been pulled over for - such as changing lanes with no signal, not coming to a complete stop, speeding,and talking on cell phones while driving. Sorry but I just had to vent. I have the upmost respect for most LEO's, but somethings just irritate me.

I can't answer for every time you see those actions, but I can tell you that you have no idea where those officers are going too or even what they are doing. Police don't respond to calls like you see on TV with their lights ans sirens blaring. We respond according to how we are dispatched and the nature of the call. For example, you go to a verbal dispute your going to get there, but your not going rush there as if it was a life and death situation. You get called to a motor vehicle collision blocking the highway with serious injuries, you going to pick up the pace. There are times I have been trying to attend a call only to be canceled while on the way. Yeah sure it looks bad to the avg. person that I had just stopped, put on my emergency lights and drove through a red light then go no place. However, that avg person had no idea that I was responding to a priority situation and then advised I was no longer required.

Also, where I am, a lot of those traffic laws you described, police are excluded from them in the lawful execution of their duties. Using a cell phone is a now apart of our job like the police radio in the car. Their are times when we need more information on a call and its too detailed to go over the radio. So we'll call a dispatcher to fill us in and do some back ground work over the phone. This way the radio remains open for other officers to broadcast over. Another example would be the dispatcher is busy and we need other resources. We'll assist the dispatcher by placing the call(s) on their behave.

So in the future, if you do see something like you mentioned, perhaps take a second and consider the possibility that the officer is on his way to a situation.

Thank you ... I will now step down from my soap box.
    06-07-09 11:09 PM
    one thing i LOVE being a female, often alone, is the fact that i dont actually have to STOP (right away) when a cop lights me up. (in a dark location.) that i can just put my cautions on and keep going until i get to a lighted area. is this illegal in any state? and can i call 911 and let an operator know that i know they are behind me (so they dont think i am trying to run or anything) or do i need to call the regular non emergency number?
    Don't be misguided by that.

As far as being legal or illegal in all states, I don't know.

Here, that to me would mean on a lonely highway, in the middle of nowhere. Not in the middle of the city.

If I blue light someone, then I "expect" at the "first, safest" possible moment they pull over to the right. I DO NOT expect them to pull over when it is convenient for them... WRONG!!!

Ticket for failure to yield blue to blue lights plus what ever I am stopping you for.

I don't accept the excuse "Sorry, I didn't see you behind me".

I have bluelighted people and they kept going. We may have passed (4) four streets that they could have pulled over on. They just decide they will do it when the time is right for them. they got a ticket.

Of course each and every officer is different. Just because one officer said nothing about it, doesn't mean that the next one won't.

If I am behind someone who I have bluelighted, and they keep going, I simply call dispatch and inform them, I am trying to get them to stop.

I might get (3) three officers to show up to assist me. Just because I bluelighted you doesn't mean I will be the one you see at the window.

That person might wind up with officers approaching with guns drawn... Not to say that will happen, but, why did the perosn not stop.

My biggest pet peeve is people who pull over to the left side of the road on a busy intersection, blocking the "fast" lane of traffic. Or the one who stops in the "turn" lane instead of just fully turning off the road. We know you are wanting to pull over to a safe location, so do we. We DO NOT want to be killed by a car because you decided to stop in the middle of the road.

Some questions that are asked here really cannot be answered by any one officer. It is best for you to contact your local agency and ask them about how they will react to that. I cannot answer for what California will do, I don't know.

As stated above, just because I answer like this doesn't mean you will get the same response from your local agency.

There is a lot of issues that have a part to play in what will happen.

msblueline
    06-08-09 12:09 AM
    Don't be misguided by that.

As far as being legal or illegal in all states, I don't know.

Here, that to me would mean on a lonely highway, in the middle of nowhere. Not in the middle of the city.

If I blue light someone, then I "expect" at the "first, safest" possible moment they pull over to the right. I DO NOT expect them to pull over when it is convenient for them... WRONG!!!

Ticket for failure to yield blue to blue lights plus what ever I am stopping you for.

I don't accept the excuse "Sorry, I didn't see you behind me".

I have bluelighted people and they kept going. We may have passed (4) four streets that they could have pulled over on. They just decide they will do it when the time is right for them. they got a ticket.

Of course each and every officer is different. Just because one officer said nothing about it, doesn't mean that the next one won't.

If I am behind someone who I have bluelighted, and they keep going, I simply call dispatch and inform them, I am trying to get them to stop.

I might get (3) three officers to show up to assist me. Just because I bluelighted you doesn't mean I will be the one you see at the window.

That person might wind up with officers approaching with guns drawn... Not to say that will happen, but, why did the perosn not stop.

My biggest pet peeve is people who pull over to the left side of the road on a busy intersection, blocking the "fast" lane of traffic. Or the one who stops in the "turn" lane instead of just fully turning off the road. We know you are wanting to pull over to a safe location, so do we. We DO NOT want to be killed by a car because you decided to stop in the middle of the road.

Some questions that are asked here really cannot be answered by any one officer. It is best for you to contact your local agency and ask them about how they will react to that. I cannot answer for what California will do, I don't know.

As stated above, just because I answer like this doesn't mean you will get the same response from your local agency.

There is a lot of issues that have a part to play in what will happen.

msblueline

O yeah I totally meant dark and deserted (sp) but for me - that can be city too. I live in a city, but there are some spots that I WON'T pull over, they are straight up dark and deserted, and not the best place to pull over. For me a safe place would be at a gas station or in front of houses that are lit up like an xmas tree. I understand that you are doing your job, but we have some not-so-lit neighboorhoods here and it aint fun to be stopped in one of them. But for me I want to stop a place I feel safe. Like a gas station. Which is another reason I stated the use of cautions and the phone call. I also expect to slow my speed down and not be doing the speed limit. I WANT the officer to know I know he is behind me, and that I just don't feel safe. The area that I live in have had a lot of problems with police impersonations and cops going haywire and off their meds (jk, but we have had one incidence where a cop just seemed to go nuts. He shot up the freeway out here. And I found out later that night that my step mom was on her way home she usually took that way, but thank god she took another one that night.)

If a stopee keeps going and tries the ". Oh I didn't know" excuse I fully expect them to get a ticket. That to me is failure to yeild. If you don't feel safe stopping where you are I expect you to do ALL you can to let the officer know you are behind him. And not just keep going.

I have been stopped a few times and one of the times I stopped in the right hand lane. When the cops came up to my window I asked if I should have turned onto the street that was a few hundred yards in front of me. He said no, that everything should be okay because he had the marked parked diagnal outwards.

Yea, I can't stand the peeps that just pull over where they are... What ever happened to "get all the way to tjhe right" its like it disapeared or something. But then again, from some of the videos I have seen , the right side aint no happy place either for some officers.

Btw, how you liking the theme blue???

06-08-09 12:33 AM

I can't answer for every time you see those actions, but I can tell you that you have no idea where those officers are going too or even what they are doing. Police don't respond to calls like you see on TV with their lights ans sirens blaring. We respond according to how we are dispatched and the nature of the call. For example, you go to a verbal dispute your going to get there, but your not going rush there as if it was a life and death situation. You get called to a motor vehicle collision blocking the highway with serious injuries, you going to pick up the pace. There are times I have been trying to attend a call only to be canceled while on the way. Yeah sure it looks bad to the avg. person that I had just stopped, put on my emergency lights and drove through a red light then go no place. However, that avg person had no idea that I was responding to a priority situation and then advised I was no longer required.

Also, where I am, a lot of those traffic laws you described, police are excluded from them in the lawful execution of their duties. Using a cell phone is a now apart of our job like the police radio in the car. Their are times when we need more information on a call and its too detailed to go over the radio. So we'll call a dispatcher to fill us in and do some back ground work over the phone. This way the radio remains open for other officers to broadcast over. Another example would be the dispatcher is busy and we need other resources. We'll assist the dispatcher by placing the call(s) on their behave.

So in the future, if you do see something like you mentioned, perhaps take a second and consider the possibility that the officer is on his way to a situation.

Thank you ... I will now step down from my soap box.
    I concur!

I do not respond directly to the location with blue lights and siren UNLESS it is a accident with injuries, a fight (and my siren WILL break it up), or any call that I want them to know I am coming to.

I have approached (4) four way stop intersections, killed my blue lights and siren, checked up (looked all around) and went through without stopping.

I have even turned on to a road, drove down a little ways with my lights off. Doesn't mean I am driving without headlights... I am now in stealth mode.

I want to creep up slowly, quietly, maybe even on my phone (with my back up officer) so my radio doesn't chatter giving me away.

There are so many things that you see us do that you get stopped for and you will never understand why.

To touch up on the radio -vs- phone thing, we have MANY officers using (1) ONE radio. I cannot use the radio for small talk to get my information.

If I have been on a street twice, looking for an address and cannot find it, I will call dispatch on the phone.

If another officer needs that radio for an emergency and I have it tied up, looking for my address, how is he going to get help out to him.

I am sure that bigger (I mean BIGGER) agencies have divided dispatch. I am sure that all of New York City does not use one channel. I am sure that San Fransisco does not use one channel...Etc, etc, etc.

I like to look at it like Men in Black: "There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they Do... Not... Know about it!"

There is always a police officer, or county deputy, or state trooper doing something that you get stopped for but, we...are...helping someone.

msblueline
    06-08-09 12:39 AM
997 ... 2627282930 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD