View Poll Results: Why Do you NOT Like Cops?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Had a Bad Expierence At one point, where a cop was completely Rude to me for no reason

29 23.77%
  • I Just dont Like cops...

11 9.02%
  • I have reasons...(Please, Share them below..No Judgement passed by us)

15 12.30%
  • I Like Cops, I've never had a problem with them

66 54.10%
  • Other - (Please explain again in a Reply)

8 6.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Question and true story.

I was pulled over several months ago after being followed for about 1/4 mile. Not doing anything wrong at all. She pulls me over and tells me I was speeding. Then when I say I thought the speed limit was 35 she said it was but you were going over that. Never told me how fast I was going. Funny thing about that is that the speed limit I later found out was only 30. Besides that she said my tag surround was illegal bc it covered the stickers... I had been at a road block 2 weeks prior and they didn't tell me that. Wouldn't they have? Besides that, she gave me the 10th degree about "where do you live?"Right up the road "Where were you going?" Here (she pulled me over at a gas station) "for what?" Cigs.... Is there a reason she did this... Really? I didn't do anything to make her follow me or pull me over to my knowledge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I am sorry you were harrased by an officer. As mentioned before in this forum, not all officers are the same. It pains me to say, but there are some that have no business having a badge, much less carrying a gun.

It is against the law here in Mississippi to have any thing over your tag, even a clear plastic cover. The ones that I dislike are the those that cover the month and year on the bottom.

Again, depending on the officer, at a road block, your tag being covered was not enough of a concern to be mentioned.

I can see down the covered tag when I am standing at it. I can NOT see the sticker when I am sitting in my partol vehicle.

I will call the tag in and find out when it expires. I will not waste your time nor mine on a meaningless stop as the cover on the tag.

I also would rather let one guilty person go free rather than write an innocent person a ticket. If when I stop a vehicle I have been given enough doubt that maybe I stopped the wrong vehicle (believe me, it doesn't happen much) I will let them go. This doesn't work on an expired tag, I can tell if I have the correct vehicle or not...

I personally think Texas sucks... NOT THE STATE (I love Texas), the tag law, don't get upset...

They put the sticker on the windshield, that is a safety issue to me. I will never know when the tag expires unless I walk up to the vehicle. So, Texas, your sorta safe in my book, unless I stop you for say, Speeding...lol

msblueline
    04-20-09 10:51 PM
    Thanks guys. She also told me I was lying about something bc I was nervous?? I had been pulled over and just paid an $84 ticket for speeding. First and only time *knock on wood* and didn't need another one even tho I didn't think I had been, I figured she'd find some reason to give me one. She gave me a warning. I had my integrity questioned which had me mad. I was taught early to have respect for police especially since my grandad was a 911 dispatcher for the first 7 years of my life. I don't like cop cars bc they just make me nervous, but cops for the most part can be funny and kid around when in certain situations.

04-20-09 11:12 PM
    Thanks guys. She also told me I was lying about something bc I was nervous?? I had been pulled over and just paid an $84 ticket for speeding. First and only time *knock on wood* and didn't need another one even tho I didn't think I had been, I figured she'd find some reason to give me one. She gave me a warning. I had my integrity questioned which had me mad. I was taught early to have respect for police especially since my grandad was a 911 dispatcher for the first 7 years of my life. I don't like cop cars bc they just make me nervous, but cops for the most part can be funny and kid around when in certain situations.

I will agree with you on that, I can joke with the best of them. But, put this uniform on me and all of the sudden it is ME they hate... Why hate me?

I am the prime target of gang initiations, I am the first one to be taken out in a armed robbery, I walk around with a target on my back ALL THE TIME...

Don't hate me.

Before I wirked for a city department, I used to work for an airport.

I was Fire and Police... I actually got to choosed what uniform I wanted to wear that day (I had to have my gun and badge close by if I wore the fire uniform). I did alot too. I chose the fire uniform because people associated with me more than they did (and do still today) because I am a cop.

I sometimes feel like that monkey they test by putting him in the room with nobody, no attention, no affection, no NOTHING.

The other monkeys got attention, they played, got to have association with other primates as well as humans.

The lonely monkeys always died... quickly

I am not a bad person, don't dislike me because of the uniform. When you get a shot from the doctor, you don't slap them... Same thing

I can be just as fun going as the partyingest (not really a word) person on here.

I just enjoy being a cop. I like what I do. Don't hate me for it.

msblueline

The first picture below is NOT me... But it is punishment enough...lol
    Last edited by msbluelline; 04-20-09 at 11:27 PM.
    04-20-09 11:25 PM
    Okay, just curious - If I have one of those keychain tasers and of course carry it around, would it be considered a concealed weapon if i had to use it ? Always wonder about that.
    04-20-09 11:27 PM
    Okay, just curious - If I have one of those keychain tasers and of course carry it around, would it be considered a concealed weapon if i had to use it ? Always wonder about that.
    Honestly, you will have to check with your state law. I cannot answer that question as each state differs from one another.

Usually... I said USUALLY, stun guns (have to actually touch the person with the tip) are not illegal, again, check with your local law enforcement. Just because they are sold does NOT make them legal.

Tasers are highly illegal to carry (considered concealed), they shoot a projectile out and electrify/shock the victim... OUCH!

Read this website and see if it helps...

Stun Gun Laws and Restrictions

msblueline
    Last edited by msbluelline; 04-20-09 at 11:44 PM.
    04-20-09 11:39 PM
    Question and true story.

I was pulled over several months ago after being followed for about 1/4 mile. Not doing anything wrong at all. She pulls me over and tells me I was speeding. Then when I say I thought the speed limit was 35 she said it was but you were going over that. Never told me how fast I was going. Funny thing about that is that the speed limit I later found out was only 30. Besides that she said my tag surround was illegal bc it covered the stickers... I had been at a road block 2 weeks prior and they didn't tell me that. Wouldn't they have? Besides that, she gave me the 10th degree about "where do you live?"Right up the road "Where were you going?" Here (she pulled me over at a gas station) "for what?" Cigs.... Is there a reason she did this... Really? I didn't do anything to make her follow me or pull me over to my knowledge.

Hello, first off let me agree with Msblueline and say that (like every other occupation) there are cops that dont need to be cops. After that there are several reasons that the officer may have pulled you over, but without me being there or speaking with the officer I cant say why. Also, no offence but in an open forum I dont feel comfortable explaining other reasons why it possibly happend.

Howerever, if GA is like Ms, then it sounds like the officer had reasonable suspicion with the tag surround. On a side note, there is a community college here and the students like to put their parking decals on their tag, which, as well, is illegal.

Alot of the time, the officer isnt giving you the 10th degree, its just the way they come across. But again I cant say if they were are not because I wasnt there and you were. If you felt like they were, then you have every right to ask the officer why. They may have been looking for another car with the same description as yours. I dont know. And you also have every right to ask the officer why they pulled you over, but like vsp said, you might want to wait till the officer has finished gathering all the documents they need.
    04-21-09 12:39 AM
    With that, she had enough PC to contact you, that's a given because your tags were covered...

Again, like both Kevin and Jeff said, some officers shouldn't be officers...my appologies for that...as for the rest of her actions, I'd almost say she was probably fishing for something...Just can't say what, as I wasn't there to witness the stop

04-21-09 09:16 AM
    To the person who got pulled over and asked a bunch of questions, remember you don't have to answer any of those questions. Cops use those things to intimidate you, and as evidence against you. Next time just respectfully decline to answer any questions. Remember, they need a warrant to search your car, or the constitutionally sketchy, and ever fun "probable cause". Only roll your window down far enough to slip your id/proof of insurance/registration.

When dealing with a roadblock, never give them anything.

Ask, "am I being detained?"

The officer will repeat the question asking for id/are you a citizen of this country.

You ask him again

"Am I being detained"

After a few rounds of this they will start to get confused and you ask

"Am I free to go"

They will let you go. They have to.

When police start asking questions they become the master and you become the servant, the opposite of their intended job. Always ask them questions, let them know that you are fully aware of the rights granted you by the constitution.

Let's say you are out with a buddy walking around and a cop asks you how your day is going, tell him

You see his willingness to engage in conversation and you respectfully decline to talk to him. Always record conversations with the police. Remember, unless your violating the peace, then you are dealing with a cop in a statutory manner. Everything at that goes on at that point is voluntary from your end. If you get searched, its because YOU let them search you. Don't let the cops intimidate you.

In general cops are good people, they are just doing what they were trained to do. Unfortunately that training relies on the general publics lack of knowledge of their own rights.

Hope this helps

04-21-09 10:27 AM
    We have roadblocks all the time here in metro atlanta. Are u saying that u don't have to provide them with documentation when asked?

04-21-09 10:52 AM
    I'd be very careful accepting legal advice from anyone who isn't your attorney. I doubt Vinnie would be the one to show up and help you out.

04-21-09 10:55 AM
    Lol you don't have to worry about that I have a healthy fear of cops and if they want to see my ID have at it lol. I was just curious as to how telling them no would play out.

04-21-09 11:01 AM
    To the person who got pulled over and asked a bunch of questions, remember you don't have to answer any of those questions. Cops use those things to intimidate you, and as evidence against you. Next time just respectfully decline to answer any questions. Remember, they need a warrant to search your car, or the constitutionally sketchy, and ever fun "probable cause". Only roll your window down far enough to slip your id/proof of insurance/registration.

When dealing with a roadblock, never give them anything.

Ask, "am I being detained?"

The officer will repeat the question asking for id/are you a citizen of this country.

You ask him again

"Am I being detained"

After a few rounds of this they will start to get confused and you ask

"Am I free to go"

They will let you go. They have to.

When police start asking questions they become the master and you become the servant, the opposite of their intended job. Always ask them questions, let them know that you are fully aware of the rights granted you by the constitution.

Let's say you are out with a buddy walking around and a cop asks you how your day is going, tell him

You see his willingness to engage in conversation and you respectfully decline to talk to him. Always record conversations with the police. Remember, unless your violating the peace, then you are dealing with a cop in a statutory manner. Everything at that goes on at that point is voluntary from your end. If you get searched, its because YOU let them search you. Don't let the cops intimidate you.

In general cops are good people, they are just doing what they were trained to do. Unfortunately that training relies on the general publics lack of knowledge of their own rights.

Hope this helps

No, you dont have to answer "certain" questions I ask, but if you fail to identify yourself and/or provide documentation (even at a Safety Checkpoint, you are required to surrender your drivers license when ordered to by a LEO), then I will/can transport you to jail and hold you till I can positively identify you.

The thing to remember here is, that if you arent guilty of anything, then you have nothing to worry about.

And no, I dont have to have a search warrant to search your car, read up on constitutional law a little and you will see that too.

Police arent out there to "get you". We are there to do a job, and that job is to enforce the laws and to protect the general public. Its a shame that there are people like that, that make our job even harder than it already is, but, as they say, thats the way the cookie crumbles
    04-21-09 11:17 AM
    Once when I was making the drive home from Orange County to San Diego on the I-5 at 2 am, I saw the lights pop up in my rear view. /sigh
    So I start looking for an opening on the shoulder and end up pulling over right in front of another parked officer. /sigh

The officer approaches my car and asks for my paperwork. I ask (politely) what was wrong. The officer says I was going over 95mph. <blink> I give him a confused look and inform the officer that "Officer, my truck wouldn't be capable of doing 95 mph if it went off a cliff with a strong tail wind."

The officer tells me to "hold on." and walks back to his car with my paperwork in hand.
    After a few minutes he comes back to my car and says " So you've been in jail." (this is not stated as a question) <blink> "Um, nooooo."
    He says "hold on" and again walks back to his car for a minute.

When he comes back, he hands me my paperwork and says "Ok, your truck matched the description of one that had recently been stolen." Then starts walking back to his car.
    As he's walking away I ask, "Does this mean you are not writing me a ticket for something?"
    He asks "Do you want one?"
    "Um, no, thanks."
    He nods and waves me to get moving.

It just left me thinking "What the **** just happened?" as I drove home.
    I respect officers a great deal, but it does bother me to get lied to about my speed and then accused of something else. I wonder what would have happened if I had previously been in jail and answered "yes". Wouldn't that info be in on the magnetic strip on my drivers license anyway?
    And if they had really pulled me over because a similar truck had been stolen, wouldn't my plates have cleared up that confusion quickly?
    Last edited by TeachIT; 04-21-09 at 11:45 AM.
    04-21-09 11:40 AM
    It just left me thinking "What the **** just happened?" as I drove home.
    I respect officers a great deal, but it does bother me to get lied to and then accused of something. I wonder what would have happened if I had previously been in jail and answered "yes". Wouldn't that info be in on the magnetic strip on my drivers license?
    And if they had really pulled me over because a similar truck had been stolen, wouldn't my plates have cleared up that confusion quickly?
    I can understand your confusion. Since tags are not permanently affixed to vehicle, we cant just go on a tag alone, since it only takes a few minutes to change em. As far as any jail time being on your license. In Ms when I run a DL I dont get any criminal history. All I get is "traffic" history. Now, if I want to, I can run your info to find out all of your criminal history. But no, it doesnt just pop up here at least.
    04-21-09 11:46 AM

By record do you mean keep track of it, or pull out my phone and record the conversation?

Last edited by ItnStln511; 04-21-09 at 12:19 PM.
    04-21-09 12:14 PM
    I can understand your confusion. Since tags are not permanently affixed to vehicle, we cant just go on a tag alone, since it only takes a few minutes to change em. As far as any jail time being on your license. In Ms when I run a DL I dont get any criminal history. All I get is "traffic" history. Now, if I want to, I can run your info to find out all of your criminal history. But no, it doesnt just pop up here at least.
    Do open arrest warrents pop up when you run a license/ID? What about running tags, do they show any warrants for the owner of said tags?

Last edited by ItnStln511; 04-21-09 at 12:21 PM.
    04-21-09 12:18 PM
    Only if the license is suspended because of that warrant. But again,thats dependant on where you are too.

Last edited by southernguy0306; 04-21-09 at 12:40 PM.
    04-21-09 12:21 PM
    Always pull out your blackberry and use the voice recorder when talking to cops. For the officer that said you don't need a warrant, re read what I wrote, you need probable cause or a warrant. If you say you have probable cause, I am allowed to ask you what that probable cause is.

The reason our rights are infringed upon in this country is because we LE walk all over us.

The argument that if you have nothing to hide is irrelevant. I have nothing to hide, but my privacy. My privacy is guaranteed by the constitution, unfortunately the courts enjoying going by precedent and not law. All it will take to reverse this is a good case and a great lawyer. Roadblocks are illegal in every way imagineable, except according to the court. The fourth ammendment protects me from warrantless/baseless stops, but that right has been infringed upon by our wonderful supreme court. I'm not saying officers are out to get us on purpose, but your training indoctrinates you. You don't even realize yo are infringing upon peoples right. Continue to go on being delusional about this.

To prove a point about the ticket thing I made earlier, try not writing a ticket for a month. Instead, if you pull over a drunk driver, offer him a ride home. If someone is speeding, give them a warning. If you did that you wouldn't have a job. The fact of the matter is as an LEO you are a revenue agent for the city/state.

Also, why are fines monetary? Do you not think that unfairly punishes the person who makes less money? 300 dollars is chump change to a guy that makes 300k a year. That's a lot of money for a single mom in school working full time though.

04-21-09 01:01 PM
    Always pull out your blackberry and use the voice recorder when talking to cops. For the officer that said you don't need a warrant, re read what I wrote, you need probable cause or a warrant. If you say you have probable cause, I am allowed to ask you what that probable cause is.

The reason our rights are infringed upon in this country is because we LE walk all over us.

The argument that if you have nothing to hide is irrelevant. I have nothing to hide, but my privacy. My privacy is guaranteed by the constitution, unfortunately the courts enjoying going by precedent and not law. All it will take to reverse this is a good case and a great lawyer. Roadblocks are illegal in every way imagineable, except according to the court. The fourth ammendment protects me from warrantless/baseless stops, but that right has been infringed upon by our wonderful supreme court. I'm not saying officers are out to get us on purpose, but your training indoctrinates you. You don't even realize yo are infringing upon peoples right. Continue to go on being delusional about this.

To prove a point about the ticket thing I made earlier, try not writing a ticket for a month. Instead, if you pull over a drunk driver, offer him a ride home. If someone is speeding, give them a warning. If you did that you wouldn't have a job. The fact of the matter is as an LEO you are a revenue agent for the city/state.

Also, why are fines monetary? Do you not think that unfairly punishes the person who makes less money? 300 dollars is chump change to a guy that makes 300k a year. That's a lot of money for a single mom in school working full time though.

The whole ticket thing is irrelevant. We have a couple officers that write maybe 30 tickets a year, and they are still employed. Giving the DUI driver a ride home is not allowed in our department. Fines are not all monetary. You can either a) pay the fine, b) sit in jail (each day counts so much against your fine) or c) work your fine off ( again each hour worked is payed at minimum wage against your fine. And just to let you know, 85% of my traffic stops for speeding result in warnings. Of those 15% that get tickets, another 10% get dismissed because I decide to dismiss them for one reason or another. In 2008, I wrote only 115 tickets that went to municipal court. And I still have a job

Record your police contacts all you want, cause most of the time the police are recording it as well.

I dont know any officers (although I know there are some out there somewhere) personally that just go around and stop, search and generally harrass citizens for no reason. Around here every stop and every search is justified by law not precedence. Walk a mile in my shoes before you judge me.
    Last edited by southernguy0306; 04-21-09 at 01:12 PM.
    04-21-09 01:09 PM
    Justified by laws ruled on by the supreme court. You seem like a good guy, but remember, you were indoc'd by the police force. How can you justify field sobreity tests. They are designed to be failed, even sober.

04-21-09 01:17 PM
    Justified by laws ruled on by the supreme court. You seem like a good guy, but remember, you were indoc'd by the police force. How can you justify field sobreity tests. They are designed to be failed, even sober.

Thats why we have the intoxilizer for alcohol and blood test for other substances. Again, Im not gonna pull you over and waste my time just to mess with you. You can bet your bottom dollar if I pull you over and go through all that I am justified by law and perceive you as a threat toward the general public.
    04-21-09 01:22 PM

If you are not happy with the things the Supreme Court does, then you have 2 choices. 1) Take it up with the Supreme Court, or 2) move to another country.
    04-21-09 01:32 PM

I will disagree with you on this one. They are NOT designed to fail even sober. I perform the test for each subject just prior to giving the test. If I can do them, they shoud too.

I am a DUI officer, field sobriety is more instruction, coordination and muti-tasking. Muti-task is something that EVERYONE does everyday when they drive. When you are DRUNK you will NOT be able to mutli-task as you would if you were sober, you will be way, WAY to slow.

When you are drunk your ability to follow instructions is decreased.

Your coordination when drunk is way off too.

The "I cannot do that sober" is just an excuse.

They think it will help them by saying that because they know they cannot do it drunk... TOUGH!!! Don't drink and drive.

The ones who get all defensive over this are the ones who are affected, they WANT to drink and drive... Not a problem, Whne they kill someone (even their first time) they will spend (25) years in prison... It only takes once to drive drunk and kill someone... Even if you are over the limit by (.1) point one.

My question to you is this: When have you gone out and entered a police academy, or done any of the BS things that you come on here arguing about?

You come in here running your mouth about stuff that you really don't know. I have nothing to say about you coming in here... Please come in here, but you are not asking questions, you are stirring the mud. It is an open public forum. It is when you deicide t play lawyer with these other people that bother me.

When at a check point, YES you do have to answer my questions, YES you are being DETAEINED, YES you will show me your license, or I will TOW your car... same thing goes for a traffic stop... You ARE being detained...

What other legal advise do you have for these other people in here

msblueline
    Last edited by msbluelline; 04-21-09 at 02:15 PM.
    04-21-09 02:13 PM
    First off, it depends on the laws of the state as to whether or not I have to show I'd, outside of that I have to show and say nothing else. You are showing your ignorance of the law. My father was a cop for 8 years, my uncle is a retired police officer, many of my buddies that I served with are LE, I know the laws, maybe yo should take the time to learn them. I am legally allowed to refuse to answer any question you ask me. Remember the old adage, you have the RIGHT to remain silent, anything YOU SAY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST you. at a roadblock if you say you are detaining me, I hope your county/city has some good lawyers buddy, I will be suing you.

04-21-09 02:28 PM
    First off, it depends on the laws of the state as to whether or not I have to show I'd, outside of that I have to show and say nothing else. You are showing your ignorance of the law. My father was a cop for 8 years, my uncle is a retired police officer, many of my buddies that I served with are LE, I know the laws, maybe yo should take the time to learn them. I am legally allowed to refuse to answer any question you ask me. Remember the old adage, you have the RIGHT to remain silent, anything YOU SAY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST you. at a roadblock if you say you are detaining me, I hope your county/city has some good lawyers buddy, I will be suing you.

That just shows your ignorance. There is no way that you can state anything from this side of the badge unless you have worn the badge (YOU, not your dad or friend or your best friends ex fiancees hair dressers daughters ex husband twice removed).

All you are doing is spouting off nonsense to people on a forum that will (if they listen to you) get them in trouble and catch charges. Im hoping that they know not to listen to the conspiracy theorist out there.

I still stand behind the thought that you think there is some big conspiracy by the police and government. I really think you need to get some serious professional help.
    04-21-09 02:41 PM
997 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD