View Poll Results: Why Do you NOT Like Cops?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Had a Bad Expierence At one point, where a cop was completely Rude to me for no reason

29 23.77%
  • I Just dont Like cops...

11 9.02%
  • I have reasons...(Please, Share them below..No Judgement passed by us)

15 12.30%
  • I Like Cops, I've never had a problem with them

66 54.10%
  • Other - (Please explain again in a Reply)

8 6.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I have a question. The other week I backed out of a parking spot and there was a cop with his signal on to take the spot. Well I put my car in 1st and my foot slips off the clutch causing the front tires to 'chirp'. He turned around, pulled me over and accused me of doing a burnout. Let's get real for a second. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD DO A BURN OUT INFRONT OF A COP?
    What would you all do in this situation?

Also was there ever a verdict reached on the quick acceleration?

Thanks and have a safe day!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 11:00 AM
    I have a question. The other week I backed out of a parking spot and there was a cop with his signal on to take the spot. Well I put my car in 1st and my foot slips off the clutch causing the front tires to 'chirp'. He turned around, pulled me over and accused me of doing a burnout. Let's get real for a second. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD DO A BURN OUT INFRONT OF A COP?
    What would you all do in this situation?
    Well, this is where officer discretion comes into play. Was it on purpose? Was it unsafe or dangerous? Have I got more important issues to deal with at the time? Personally, I haven't forgotten I was a teenager (don't know your age) and some of the things I did. I have witnessed people hop on the freeway(in sports cars) and punch it well above the needed speed to get on the freeway. I love the look on their face when they realize I was behind them the whole time. If they didn't endanger anyone, I usually walk up with a big smile on my face and tell them they shouldn't do that with a police car behind them. I laugh and send them on their way with a warning.

04-19-09 11:15 AM
    Fiction! They let us write as many tickets as we want....
    Lol. No, I mean...do officers get bonuses for writing a certain amount of tickets?
    04-19-09 02:56 PM
    You're confusing your rights with just proper and safe driving skills, not to mention wasting gas.

As a cop, I'm not confusing anything. If I want to waste my gas and accelerate up to the speed limit, I'm well within my rights to do so as long as I am not breaking any laws. I personally don't see how it is unsafe of me to do so. Now that being said If I break traction or endanger someone elses life, sure, ticket away.
    04-19-09 05:59 PM
    Quota's are a thing of the past...That's really all I have to say about that...

Breaking traction? Just have to explain it as you slipped, I wouldn't cite for that, but it would depend on your attitude..

On another note, and I'll be suprised if any of ya do...We've got a forum up called CallingAllCops, and specific areas where you can ask questions related to speeding, DUI's and so forth...Come check it out...Its not even close to what CB is like, but we're getting there!
    Its CallingAllcops.forumotion.com if any of ya want to see it...We're still developing it though, so keep an eye on it!

Its just an Extention of this thread, with a little less on the rules..More open if you will!

Be safe
    pin:24861a8c
    Nate

04-20-09 07:57 AM
    Well, this is where officer discretion comes into play. Was it on purpose? Was it unsafe or dangerous? Have I got more important issues to deal with at the time? Personally, I haven't forgotten I was a teenager (don't know your age) and some of the things I did. I have witnessed people hop on the freeway(in sports cars) and punch it well above the needed speed to get on the freeway. I love the look on their face when they realize I was behind them the whole time. If they didn't endanger anyone, I usually walk up with a big smile on my face and tell them they shouldn't do that with a police car behind them. I laugh and send them on their way with a warning.

I was nineteen at the time (now I'm twenty). And it most defiantly was not on purpose...I've done stupid things, but to do a burnout as he claimed I did IN FRONT OF A COP...please even I'm not that stupid. It was in the parking lot at the Giant grocery store, but nobody was close to where I was.
    04-20-09 11:51 AM
    I have a question, kind of stupid but it just came to mind...Let's say I'm on an empty interstate at like one o'clock in the morning. Not a soul in site. I'm driving a 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (I wish...my dream car). I am traveling between ninety-five and one hundred miles per hour, and the limit is say seventy-five. A cop car shoots me with LASER...what would you all do if you were the LEO using the LASER?
    04-20-09 12:00 PM
    I have a question, kind of stupid but it just came to mind...Let's say I'm on an empty interstate at like one o'clock in the morning. Not a soul in site. I'm driving a 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (I wish...my dream car). I am traveling between ninety-five and one hundred miles per hour, and the limit is say seventy-five. A cop car shoots me with LASER...what would you all do if you were the LEO using the LASER?
    At that speed youd go to jail and lose your license. Generally anything around 100 here and youll automatically end up in jail. But again that would just depend on the officer.
    04-20-09 12:34 PM
    Why do we have posted speed limits that are well below what civil engineers suggest? I believe the term civil engineers use is the 85th percentile, and that basically states whatever the natural driving speed on the road is. Well obviously the natural speed limit on the highway is more than 55. Why is that? Personally I think its so the city can generate revenue from speeding. Let's be honest with ourselves here, when you drive 55 on the interstate, you will get run over.

04-20-09 12:39 PM
    Personally I think its so the city can generate revenue from speeding.

I dont know about there, but here a municipality only get like 10% of the speeding fine. The rest goes back to the state. Everyone seems to think cities get rich off speeding tickets .
    04-20-09 12:43 PM
    At that speed youd go to jail and lose your license. Generally anything around 100 here and youll automatically end up in jail. But again that would just depend on the officer.
    What's the charge for driving that fast? And how long will that get you in the big house?

04-20-09 02:17 PM
    Speeding, reckless, disorderly conduct. They are all misdemeanors and until you are convicted in court you would have to stay in until you posted a cash bond. Upon conviction you could also face more jail time, fines, and your license would be suspended for 1 year.

04-20-09 02:23 PM
    If you're trying to argue that speeding tickets aren't cash cows for city and state governments, that's a lie. Atlanta is one of the worst cities. When the city needs more money, they issue more tickets.

04-20-09 03:41 PM
    If you're trying to argue that speeding tickets aren't cash cows for city and state governments, that's a lie. Atlanta is one of the worst cities. When the city needs more money, they issue more tickets.

And you know this how? I know here, and I thought the majority of the states were the same, that the fines from speeding goes mostly to the state. Municipalities get to see very little of thos particular fines. Bottom line is dont speed and you wont have to worry about it right?
    04-20-09 03:46 PM
    Why do we have posted speed limits that are well below what civil engineers suggest? I believe the term civil engineers use is the 85th percentile, and that basically states whatever the natural driving speed on the road is. Well obviously the natural speed limit on the highway is more than 55. Why is that? Personally I think its so the city can generate revenue from speeding. Let's be honest with ourselves here, when you drive 55 on the interstate, you will get run over.

Thats got to be the craziest thing I've heard in while. There are so many factors that go into determining a speed limit for a road, many of which are decided by a wide range of people. A CITY only determines speed limits of a road located in a city. The state determines the limit on an interstate. It's not this "Big conspiracy" like you make it out to believe. Its not about money, its about the motoring publics safety. Speed kills.
    04-20-09 09:36 PM
    Speed kills eh? There have been several papers published suggesting different. There was a paper put out by a civil engineer from Purdue that was a very interesting read, I will post it later when I get home.

Vinnie

04-20-09 09:55 PM
    Speed kills eh? There have been several papers published suggesting different. There was a paper put out by a civil engineer from Purdue that was a very interesting read, I will post it later when I get home.

Vinnie

Theres always an exception. And yes, none of the fatalities Ive worked contributed to speed were because they were going slow.

Im still wondering how you get all this "info".
    04-20-09 09:57 PM
    The one thing that has to be kept in mind is that speeding is not to just protect the other driver, it is also to protect the one doing the speeding. The law is trying to keep you from killing yourself as well as anyone else.

At 0100am in the morning on a lonely highway/interstate you can still lose control, have a deer run out in front of you, approach a tree that fell on the roadway... It DOESN'T matter any of these things happen and you can not stop in time... You are going way to fast to react (hence THE SPEED LIMIT)

Now, as far as why; in the city it has to do with the population as well, children playing in neighborhoods, business' with large amounts of traffic, density of the roadway. You name it, it is a factor in the designation of the speed limit.

I agree, there is no big conspiracy (not saying anyone said there was, it was mentioned). Speed limits are there to protect ALL parties involved... not just the bystanders

msblueline
    Last edited by msbluelline; 04-20-09 at 10:23 PM.
    04-20-09 09:58 PM
    Also, look at the autobahn, it is one of the safest roads in the world. It's safe because people know how to drive on it and cops don't ticket for speed, the ticket for disobeying the strict rules of the road.

Hope this helps

04-20-09 10:07 PM

Vinnie

I stand by my original statement. Speed Kills. Civil Engineers dont work the fatals I work. This is the real world, you simply cannot set a speed limit on a interstate at 85mph and expect the crashes that result from it to be "minor". It's physics. More Speed, More Damage and Death.
    04-20-09 10:09 PM
    Also, look at the autobahn, it is one of the safest roads in the world. It's safe because people know how to drive on it and cops don't ticket for speed, the ticket for disobeying the strict rules of the road.

Hope this helps

...and if you knew anything about the autobahn, you'd also know that there is only a small portion of it that is limitless. A lot of the autobahn has a speed limit and when they do crash, most of the time it results in a fatality.
    04-20-09 10:10 PM

I will have to agree, and disagree with you on that...

Tickets ARE a revenue for the city (NOT THE POLICE). We as the department DO NOT get to keep the money. It is put in the GENERAL fund.

I disagree that SPEEDING tickets are the BIG revenue. I do NOT have to write speeding tickets if I don't want to. I just choose to. I could write other tickets and be happy too. But, when I am driving 45MPH in a 45MPH zone and this car decides he wants to fly by me at 60MPH... You darn right, he IS getting a ticket. If you were the cop, would you not write the ticket... I can see some of you now saying "no, there is no reason to write the ticket." Maybe your JOB!!!

I have worked many wrecks and have seen horrible things because of SPEED. I will write tickets all night on speed if I choose to. I bet out of all the DUI's I got 85% of them were speeding.

I usually give a cushion for speed though. If you were driving on a highway and you were doing between 5 and 10 miles and hour over the speed limit I would NOT write you a ticket for that. Now, if you got to 15 over, then yes I will write you a ticket for that. Also, depending on the area (neighborhood with kids playing in the area) I will write you a ticket for 8 miles over.

As I mentioned before, a lot of things come into play when it comes to speeding. I know everyone here EVERYONE (I GUARANTEE) that if you were following the speed limit and you got hit by someone speeding and they totaled your car, you would say "WRITE HIM A TICKET, TAKE HIM TO JAIL, BETTER YET, LET ME KICK HIS @$$!!!". You know you would, so why should it be any different now. Because it is a forum, and you are not involved in the accident. You (right now) are not affected. As soon as you are, your attitude would change... I believe that 100%

And in response to one of the 55mph on the highway questions, not all highways are 55 anymore. We have 70mph here in Mississippi, I heard in some places up north it is around 75mph. It just depends on where you are.

msblueline
    Last edited by msbluelline; 04-20-09 at 10:20 PM.
    04-20-09 10:15 PM

Hope this helps

I HAVE been to Germany, and been on the autobahn. I don't believe it to be fast driving. I believe it to be reckless driving.

You mentioning the autobahn, fine, but that is not here... Anywhere in the US.

If you like to drive that fast then work for NASCAR, hit that track a little, just don't do it on the highway with other people...

Plus, speeding wastes gas, it's to expensive anyway, no reason to burn it up recklessly...

Check the pictures out below.

msblueline
    Last edited by msbluelline; 04-20-09 at 11:11 PM.
    04-20-09 10:33 PM
    Question and true story.

I was pulled over several months ago after being followed for about 1/4 mile. Not doing anything wrong at all. She pulls me over and tells me I was speeding. Then when I say I thought the speed limit was 35 she said it was but you were going over that. Never told me how fast I was going. Funny thing about that is that the speed limit I later found out was only 30. Besides that she said my tag surround was illegal bc it covered the stickers... I had been at a road block 2 weeks prior and they didn't tell me that. Wouldn't they have? Besides that, she gave me the 10th degree about "where do you live?"Right up the road "Where were you going?" Here (she pulled me over at a gas station) "for what?" Cigs.... Is there a reason she did this... Really? I didn't do anything to make her follow me or pull me over to my knowledge.

04-20-09 10:38 PM
    Question and true story.

I was pulled over several months ago after being followed for about 1/4 mile. Not doing anything wrong at all. She pulls me over and tells me I was speeding. Then when I say I thought the speed limit was 35 she said it was but you were going over that. Never told me how fast I was going. Funny thing about that is that the speed limit I later found out was only 30. Besides that she said my tag surround was illegal bc it covered the stickers... I had been at a road block 2 weeks prior and they didn't tell me that. Wouldn't they have? Besides that, she gave me the 10th degree about "where do you live?"Right up the road "Where were you going?" Here (she pulled me over at a gas station) "for what?" Cigs.... Is there a reason she did this... Really? I didn't do anything to make her follow me or pull me over to my knowledge.

As a police officer, I'll tell you that you are well within your rights to ask why are being stopped SPECIFICALLY, however most of the time you must provide your DL and Registration before being told why. If she said you were speeding, politely inquire how fast and where was your speed checked at? If the stop was because of your Plate cover then that was the legal reason for the stop. In Va you cannot cover any part of your Tag to include the month/year of expiration.
    04-20-09 10:51 PM
997 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD