View Poll Results: Why Do you NOT Like Cops?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Had a Bad Expierence At one point, where a cop was completely Rude to me for no reason

29 23.77%
  • I Just dont Like cops...

11 9.02%
  • I have reasons...(Please, Share them below..No Judgement passed by us)

15 12.30%
  • I Like Cops, I've never had a problem with them

66 54.10%
  • Other - (Please explain again in a Reply)

8 6.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I've personally seen speeds over 160mph in a charger, however the exact number cannot be said due to the speedometer stopping at 160mph.
    04-18-09 12:50 PM
    that and the gearing making the speedo slightly off at top speed. im guessing that if you were to radar the charger at 160 (based on the speedo) im gonna guess it would be a true speed of something like 150-155...at least it tends to be the case w bikes and i can only assume the car gearing would do something similar...
    04-18-09 01:27 PM
    the idaho staters have modified chargers too so they really have some get up and go...they are bored over and opened up so they can really get on em...not the car to attempt to outrun...cuz they can keep up and out top speed a 600cc rocket.
    04-18-09 01:29 PM
    Here's an interesting one for any of the five-o out there. How can you legally justify random car stops? The constitution is pretty clear that this is illegal. Roadblocks are notoriously bad at catching the intended people.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-09 02:29 PM
    Here's an interesting one for any of the five-o out there. How can you legally justify random car stops? The constitution is pretty clear that this is illegal. Roadblocks are notoriously bad at catching the intended people.

probable cause is a VERY grey area.. anything could give you probable cause.. and also, nobody drives perfectly, so more than likely at some point your ganna give a cop whos looking for a reason to pull you over a reason to pull you over.
    hope this helps vinnie
    04-18-09 02:45 PM
    Most of my big tickets 90mph+ come from military so no. And Yes it does.
    Wow that'll be a nice little fine.

When I go to Dullas Airport I see all of these cars with Diplomatic tags driving like they don't know how to drive. Can they be cited?

04-18-09 02:45 PM
    the idaho staters have modified chargers too so they really have some get up and go...they are bored over and opened up so they can really get on em...not the car to attempt to outrun...cuz they can keep up and out top speed a 600cc rocket.
    Are those the ones with the 6.1l SRT-8 engine?

Also what charges can you file against someone doing one over? Can you lock them up for that?

04-18-09 03:06 PM
    I have no problem with anything you've said up in your posts there Yankeed, Most people would be frustrated as **** working in a big *** city like NY, I'll give you credit for that...

There are those of us who work for "cupcakeville in Candyland County" and enjoy the **** out of it...Even the guys on here who work for the bigger agencies Austin, Denver, LA County...they love their Career Choice, and to 99.9% of us on here...This isn't just a "Job"

While I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to NOT like where you work, or what you have to do from time to time...I really dislike people (even other cops) who choose to look at our choice for a career as a job...

HOWEVER, while you're still a brother in blue, and just as any one of us would back you up if you came to our smaller "cupcakeville" agencies and had a problem, your way of thinking (which again I will admit to disliking quite a bit, however I still respect it) would get ya no where....

I have a lot of respect for your agency, and have a couple friends who work for them...Not ONE of them share that same sickening(to me) attitude as you do...

Whats up Diesel and the rest of my brothers and sisters on here. I caught this thread a bit late but I feel the need to chime in. I am a detective in the NYPD. Been on the job over 20 years and a detective for 12 of those years. I could not disagree with Yankeed1 any more. A cop is a cop I dont care if you come from New York or Mayberry. You cant help but come across guys like him when you have 35,000 police officers. I deal with them every day of my life. I LOVE what I do, I did it when we made 20,000 a year because I loved being able to help. I am over my retirement time and am still here because being a cop (not a NY cop) but any cop is the greatest and most rewarding job a person can do. I realize this thread has gone a bit off course but I felt the need to apologize to anyone that may have been offended by my brother in NY. We dont all feel the way he does. We all bleed the same color, it only takes one and we have him in every town in America. Be well, stay safe to all.
    Feel free to PIN me my number never shows up but it's 249E3AE7.
    04-18-09 05:02 PM

The Supreme Court has ruled that as long as the checking detail is at an approved location with a sight plan and is assigned at a random basis or on a routine basis then they are legal. Completely constitutional. Its a matter of public safety.
    04-18-09 08:16 PM
    As I know, ignorance is not an excuse regarding the law.

In that case, are we citizens meant to know and remember each and every law that applies to our county/ city/ state at all times? If yes, where must I go to read all those laws?

And if no, than how can we be held accountable for something we don't know and not be able to use ignorance as the excuse?
    04-18-09 11:23 PM
    As I know, ignorance is not an excuse regarding the law.

In that case, are we citizens meant to know and remember each and every law that applies to our county/ city/ state at all times? If yes, where must I go to read all those laws?

And if no, than how can we be held accountable for something we don't know and not be able to use ignorance as the excuse?
    Realistically you will never be able to know all the laws, **** even I have to look some of them up, however if you want to know specific laws, look up the state police/highway patrol website for your state and there should be a link to code sections in your locality.
    04-18-09 11:36 PM
    Realistically you will never be able to know all the laws, **** even I have to look some of them up, however if you want to know specific laws, look up the state police/highway patrol website for your state and there should be a link to code sections in your locality.
    So realistically, If I get pulled over and I have NO CLUE that talking on the phone while driving was deemed illegal by some lawmaker in some capital somewhere, can I tell the police officer that I didn't know that they made such a law? For example California just made this law in JAN 09. How did they ensure that EACH AND EVERY citizen in the STATE of California knew this law when it became active?

Or more realistically, as been discussed here before; I was under the impression that accelerating fast UP TO BUT NOT BEYOND the speed limit was legal, and now I see that some police would be inclined to pull me over for "exhibition of speed" or some thing like that. But honest to god, I would NEVER have thought there would be anything wrong with that. How can I be held accountable?
    Last edited by lalifeguards; 04-18-09 at 11:50 PM.
    04-18-09 11:47 PM
    So realistically, If I get pulled over and I have NO CLUE that talking on the phone while driving was deemed illegal by some lawmaker in some capital somewhere, can I tell the police officer that I didn't know that they made such a law? For example California just made this law in JAN 09. How did they ensure that EACH AND EVERY citizen in the STATE of California knew this law when it became active?

Or more realistically, as been discussed here before; I was under the impression that accelerating fast UP TO BUT NOT BEYOND the speed limit was legal, and now I see that some police would be inclined to pull me over for "exhibition of speed" or some thing like that. But honest to god, I would NEVER have thought there would be anything wrong with that. How can I be held accountable?
    Good questions! You are expected to know the laws in the state in which you travel however you simply can't know them all as I stated. Many judges will give you some lee way when it comes to convictions on a charges such as cell phone usage. In the same breath I'll tell you that some may not. Many times it takes getting a ticket before you know what the law is (Stupid I know, but it is what it is.)

As far as speeding up to the speed limit, as long as your vehicle does not break traction (skawl tires), I know of no law in any state that prohibits how fast you speed up to the speed limit. If an officer does write you a ticket for it, its a chicksh*t ticket and they really should be ashamed of themselves for doing so.
    04-19-09 12:24 AM
    Good questions! You are expected to know the laws in the state in which you travel however you simply can't know them all as I stated. Many judges will give you some lee way when it comes to convictions on a charges such as cell phone usage. In the same breath I'll tell you that some may not. Many times it takes getting a ticket before you know what the law is (Stupid I know, but it is what it is.)

As far as speeding up to the speed limit, as long as your vehicle does not break traction (skawl tires), I know of no law in any state that prohibits how fast you speed up to the speed limit. If an officer does write you a ticket for it, its a chicksh*t ticket and they really should be ashamed of themselves for doing so.
    More like ridiculous and frustrating, but as you said, "It is what it is". I guess I can live with it.

I really appreciate the honest answers. Thanks a lot.
    04-19-09 01:04 AM
    So, how come WA cops still drive and talk on their cell phones when its against the law up here? Most of them do it too. No joke.
    I dont know about WA, but I know here, LEOs are exempt from some traffic laws while in the enforcement of their sworn position.
    04-19-09 01:22 AM

Most of the time (here) when someone accelerates fast up to the speed limit and doesnt lose traction, it is someone trying to gain someone elses attention for one reason or the other. Most of those times (again here) its gonna be someone with a decked out pick up or sports car with a loud muffler. Now there are two statutes that covers that. Noise ordinance and the second is any aftermarket equipment not exactly like stock equipment is illegal. We get calls all the time about someone blasting their muffler up and down the streets.

And if they arent trying to show out for some reason or another, then whats the purpose of rapidly accelerating to the speed limit? You wont cut your traveling time down by much time at all. Just my 2 cents.
    04-19-09 01:28 AM
    Most of the time (here) when someone accelerates fast up to the speed limit and doesnt lose traction, it is someone trying to gain someone elses attention for one reason or the other. Most of those times (again here) its gonna be someone with a decked out pick up or sports car with a loud muffler. Now there are two statutes that covers that. Noise ordinance and the second is any aftermarket equipment not exactly like stock equipment is illegal. We get calls all the time about someone blasting their muffler up and down the streets.

And if they arent trying to show out for some reason or another, then whats the purpose of rapidly accelerating to the speed limit? You wont cut your traveling time down by much time at all. Just my 2 cents.
    If I'm at a stop light in the right lane and I need to turn left at the next block, I can:

1) Accelerate quickly (NOT ABOVE THE SPEED LIMIT) overtaking the car to my left, safely pull in front of them, and enter the left turn lane.

2) Drive SLOWER than the guy to my left, squeeze in between him and the guy behind him (assuming the second guy lets me in) to merge to the turn lane.

In my opinion #1 works better. And because I have a faster than average car, it makes it easier.

I don't see how this is in anyway unsafe EXCEPT if the guy believes I am purposefully trying to "cut him off" which I wasn't trying to do.
    04-19-09 01:55 AM

Couple of things here... Lets say I have a perfectly stock car that just happens to be fast.. (GTO, Vette ect..) Its my right as a car owner to accelerate as fast as I want as long as it not reckless.

Secondly, I fully agree, equipment and noise is a different ball game and are fair game on tickets all day. I was referring to the actual act of speeding up fast. If there is anything else involved that is a violation then have at it.
    04-19-09 01:56 AM
    If I'm at a stop light in the right lane and I need to turn left at the next block, I can:

1) Accelerate quickly (NOT ABOVE THE SPEED LIMIT) overtaking the car to my left, safely pull in front of them, and enter the left turn lane.

2) Drive SLOWER than the guy to my left, squeeze in between him and the guy behind him (assuming the second guy lets me in) to merge to the turn lane.

In my opinion #1 works better. And because I have a faster than average car, it makes it easier.

I don't see how this is in anyway unsafe EXCEPT if the guy believes I am purposefully trying to "cut him off" which I wasn't trying to do.
    See now you get into an unsafe lane change situation. I can see where there might be a problem.
    04-19-09 01:57 AM
    To each his own I guess. I have seen those tickets go to court and have seen convictions of reckless driving on it. Is it right to write those tickets? You say they are chickensh*t tickets I say they are solid tickets. You have every right to feel the way you want about the tickets as do i. Am I gonna be ashamed to write those tickets? Nope

04-19-09 02:01 AM
    See now you get into an unsafe lane change situation. I can see where there might be a problem
    To each his own I guess. I have seen those tickets go to court and have seen convictions of reckless driving on it. Is it right to write those tickets? You say they are chickensh*t tickets I say they are solid tickets. You have every right to feel the way you want about the tickets as do i. Am I gonna be ashamed to write those tickets? Nope
    I was just giving a random example. Lets say the road is empty 4 AM and the next light is changing in 12 seconds. If I drive at a regular acceleration and abide by the speed limit it will take me 14 seconds to get there. If I accelerate fast and abide by the speed limit it will take me 11 seconds, allowing me to cross. Did I do anything wrong?

P.S. Stock car, working muffler, no unsafe lane changes, and no other possible reasons to pull me over. Take that action BY ITSELF. Is accelerating fast a reason to pull someone over?
    04-19-09 02:16 AM

P.S. Stock car, working muffler, no unsafe lane changes, and no other possible reasons to pull me over. Take that action BY ITSELF. Is accelerating fast a reason to pull someone over?
    I say no, but maybe I start to look for a reason. Depends on my night I guess.

No way should you be ashamed however, tell me what is reckless about it without lose of traction if there are no more litigating factors?
    04-19-09 02:44 AM
    I love how the supreme court rules on precedence and not the law. If the supreme court ruled on law, then roadblocks would be illegal.

What about police departments issuing more tickets when the state/county/city is low on cash. There have been a lot of investigative reports regarding Atlanta and its corrupt police department.

04-19-09 02:50 AM
    I love how the supreme court rules on precedence and not the law. If the supreme court ruled on law, then roadblocks would be illegal.

What about police departments issuing more tickets when the state/county/city is low on cash. There have been a lot of investigative reports regarding Atlanta and its corrupt police department.

We don't and can't just make up violations, either you are violating the law or you aren't. We don't have quotas and corrupt police are everywhere. It is what it is.
    04-19-09 04:29 AM
    Couple of things here... Lets say I have a perfectly stock car that just happens to be fast.. (GTO, Vette ect..) Its my right as a car owner to accelerate as fast as I want as long as it not reckless.
    You're confusing your rights with just proper and safe driving skills, not to mention wasting gas.

04-19-09 10:44 AM
997 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD