View Poll Results: Why Do you NOT Like Cops?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Had a Bad Expierence At one point, where a cop was completely Rude to me for no reason

29 23.77%
  • I Just dont Like cops...

11 9.02%
  • I have reasons...(Please, Share them below..No Judgement passed by us)

15 12.30%
  • I Like Cops, I've never had a problem with them

66 54.10%
  • Other - (Please explain again in a Reply)

8 6.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    The paycheck... That's about it. That's my only motivation for going to work everyday. I wish I could win the NY Megamillions 160 million jackpot, so I could say #u*k it! I'll take my shield and throw it at the C/O's desk at the precinct and make it stick like a chinese star Shaft style, lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That's actually pretty sad. I'm not in this job for the paycheck. I actually enjoy the job. I used to do it for free. Now they pay me to do it.

04-14-09 08:07 AM
    Ok love the thread has made my boring morning at work go faster. Just got 2 questions

1. If I never paid a speeding ticket like 10 yrs ago does it go away lol
    2. What's a good woman friendly gun. And no I'm not gonna use it to break the law...girl scout honor. But I have been thinking about getting one

Also yanked I think ur a little touched ...yet strangely funny. I did think msblue was a lady cop lol thanks for clearing that up. I'm glad u guys are out there doing what u do.
    As a nurse I've had the pleasure of taking care of a few officers. And although most have been big babies when I come in with the needle (J/k) they have all been nice.

04-14-09 10:17 AM
    Ok love the thread has made my boring morning at work go faster. Just got 2 questions

2. What's a good woman friendly gun. And no I'm not gonna use it to break the law...girl scout honor. But I have been thinking about getting one

Also yanked I think ur a little touched ...yet strangely funny. I did think msblue was a lady cop lol thanks for clearing that up. I'm glad u guys are out there doing what u do.
    As a nurse I've had the pleasure of taking care of a few officers. And although most have been big babies when I come in with the needle (J/k) they have all been nice.

Hello,

Most likely your ticket wont go away, as a matter of fact your drivers license is probably suspended so you might wanna check on that.

As far as a gun goes, depending on your frame and size but it would behoove you to go to a local shooting range and rent a gun and shoot one first. If it's protection you want I say go with a revolver. A wheel gun never fails and its mindless to shoot. Aim and pull the trigger. The caliber you would want to start with is a .38special. Now this is where it can get a little confusing, You would want to buy a .357 revolver, the reason why is because a .357 revolver will shoot .38special rounds. Start with a .38special round and get use to it and move up to .357.

Disclaimer******** GO Shoot as many guns as you can. Every gun feels different and dont take my recommendation and go buy one. Just it as a starting point. Be safe and enjoy.
    04-14-09 11:45 AM
    Now wait a minute! I thought I could have a bunch of kids, get supported by the government and sit back and let the police discipline my kids. I don't want the responsibility, I just want the MONEY

Only in California. OCTOMOM
    04-14-09 01:09 PM
    I wouldn't be suprised if it turned to a warrant by now. Typically you are set a court date for your ticket. If you don't show up for court, the judge issues a warrant. And warrants don't go away
    04-14-09 01:40 PM
    I have never understood why people are afraid of or don't like cops. Most have never had contact with an officer it's always a friend of a friend type story they use to justify their dislike.

If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear. Case in point: I was driving down the road minding my own business when I was lit up and pulled over by 4 cop cars. Pulled out of the car at gun point and proned out on the ground. I'm thinking WTF is happening here. Turns out the exact type of car I was driving was reported stolen. The clerk who entered the plate, entered it wrong by one number. Even though I had my registration and my license confirming who I was, and would have been able to produce the pink slip I was hooked and booked for receiving stolen property until they could figure it all out.

The officer who did the hooking and booking was very apologetic, explained the procedure he had to follow. Finally he enlisted the help of a Sgt. who suggested calling the house to get someone to bring the pink slip to the station. No answer at the house, the Sgt. cuffed me back up took me home and had me direct him to the location of pink slip. Once all was cleared up not only did I get a verbal apology from the Sgt and the arresting officer I also got a letter of apology from the Chief and the clerk who entered the information incorrectly.

Cops are doing a job most of wouldn't want to do either because of pay or because we're not cut out for the job. Same as not everyone wants to work the ER with me, they just can't handle what I see day in and day out.

The job doesn't make the person, the person is the person. I have to say I wouldn't want to interact with people the way cops do, they don't know what they're walking up on or who they're interacting with, they do what they do to protect themselves to ensure they're going home to their families.
    04-14-09 01:42 PM
    Lol ok so the ticket was in a state I lived in 10 yrs ago and yes I neglected to pay the ticket. My license isn't suspended as I've been pulled over and renewed twice since then. Always has worried me though lol guess I should just call the city and take care of it. Thanks for the gun advice. I shall do the shooting range

04-14-09 03:24 PM
    I have never understood why people are afraid of or don't like cops. Most have never had contact with an officer it's always a friend of a friend type story they use to justify their dislike.

If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear. Case in point: I was driving down the road minding my own business when I was lit up and pulled over by 4 cop cars. Pulled out of the car at gun point and proned out on the ground. I'm thinking WTF is happening here. Turns out the exact type of car I was driving was reported stolen. The clerk who entered the plate, entered it wrong by one number. Even though I had my registration and my license confirming who I was, and would have been able to produce the pink slip I was hooked and booked for receiving stolen property until they could figure it all out.

The officer who did the hooking and booking was very apologetic, explained the procedure he had to follow. Finally he enlisted the help of a Sgt. who suggested calling the house to get someone to bring the pink slip to the station. No answer at the house, the Sgt. cuffed me back up took me home and had me direct him to the location of pink slip. Once all was cleared up not only did I get a verbal apology from the Sgt and the arresting officer I also got a letter of apology from the Chief and the clerk who entered the information incorrectly.

Cops are doing a job most of wouldn't want to do either because of pay or because we're not cut out for the job. Same as not everyone wants to work the ER with me, they just can't handle what I see day in and day out.

The job doesn't make the person, the person is the person. I have to say I wouldn't want to interact with people the way cops do, they don't know what they're walking up on or who they're interacting with, they do what they do to protect themselves to ensure they're going home to their families.
    Good "story" but what happens when you don't get the apology or the letter? Would you still start this off the way you did.

My father was a police officer, my mother a teacher, so I understand people picking a career that most would not. Its still no excuse for when they mess up.

I do not hate cops. How can I? I sure have had a reason to do so, and I did nothing wrong and had nothing to fear.
    04-14-09 05:02 PM
    I agree with the revolver as being a good home protection gun. Some may be attracted to the glitz and the glamour of a semi auto pistol, like a Glock. The problem is this is for your protection and needs to be something you can obtain quickly in a stressed/panic moment.
    It needs to be something you don't have to think about when using it. With a semi-auto pistol, unless you train with it constantly, it may jam on you, or short cycle and stove pipe a bullet in the chamber and render the firearm useless unless you know how to clear the jammed bullet and continue.
    This could also occur if you fail to hold the semi-auto correctly and securely. The blow back from the slide could short cycle and jam a bullet as well.
    Now you see why we suggest a revolver. The bullets aren't feed into the chamber or expelled out. They are already positioned. There's nothing to think about other than addressing your target and deciding whether or not you need to pull the trigger to prevent the loss of your life or someone else's.
    There are many choices out there. Try them out and see what fits well in your hand. Also, remember in firearms, you get what you pay for. Spend remembering this is something that is going to protect you and/or your family.

04-14-09 06:14 PM
    well after reading many of the posts on here for the past two days while sitting bored here at work, i have finally decided to post my stories on here.well the story actually leads to a question....

so there i was doin a stand up wheelie at about 80mph down the freeway (you could say im a bit of an adrenaline junky) and when i put the wheelie down i noticed a car behind me at a conciderable distance. At that point i notice the turn signals on the inside of the headlights so i proceeded to rob on the throttle and got to about 130mph on the freeway here in boise id. ended up running about 7 miles and managed to top my bike out. Lost the Idaho state police officer behind me and got off the freeway. well i choose poorly my exit and managed to get off at an exit where there was an idaho state police office and found myself lookin at 8 ISP officers ready to enter into the persuit. well i pulled over due to the fact that i assumed they had to be able to piece my lisence plate together and yes the bike was registered to me. so long story short i was arrested for felony eluding, reckless, and dwp.

so my question is what speeds can a police officer persue up to? whats protocall on high speed persuits???
    04-14-09 07:50 PM
    well after reading many of the posts on here for the past two days while sitting bored here at work, i have finally decided to post my stories on here.well the story actually leads to a question....

so there i was doin a stand up wheelie at about 80mph down the freeway (you could say im a bit of an adrenaline junky) and when i put the wheelie down i noticed a car behind me at a conciderable distance. At that point i notice the turn signals on the inside of the headlights so i proceeded to rob on the throttle and got to about 130mph on the freeway here in boise id. ended up running about 7 miles and managed to top my bike out. Lost the Idaho state police officer behind me and got off the freeway. well i choose poorly my exit and managed to get off at an exit where there was an idaho state police office and found myself lookin at 8 ISP officers ready to enter into the persuit. well i pulled over due to the fact that i assumed they had to be able to piece my lisence plate together and yes the bike was registered to me. so long story short i was arrested for felony eluding, reckless, and dwp.

so my question is what speeds can a police officer persue up to? whats protocall on high speed persuits???
    Different agencies have different procedures and different assets to deal with motorcycles. Personally, I have ridden motorcycles for quite a few years, including sport bikes. Your decisions to ride the way you did/do are the reasons insurance premiums are so high for the rest of us. Take it to the track.

04-14-09 08:06 PM
    lol thanks CJH just when I was getting over the fact of being terrified of guns...you put thoughts of jammed bullets, blow back, and all that other stuff into my head. I do agree though that if I simply want protection (which I do) I don't need the flash of a 9mm a simple man stopper revolver will work just fine. I have fired a gun once and I didnt drop it and run off screaming so I suppose I could stand to really learn how to use and own one responsibly. Thanks for your advice
    04-14-09 08:30 PM
    Hi guys. I'd like to say that I appreciate the hard work and stress that you have to deal with on a daily basis. I've had the opportunity in the past to provide computer classes to some of the Sheriff's Depts., Court staff and youth correctional officers, in Orange County California. I've met some great folks and not so great folks in all of those places over the years. I have to agree, the humor of law enforcement can definitely be dry and enjoyable.

Anyway I'd like to take things from a different angle
    What can the average citizen do to make an officer's lives a bit easier?

1) For instance, on a traffic stop, what are the things that we can do to help an officer feel a little safer?

2) What things do people do that set you on edge, that we can avoid?

No need to limit your answers to traffic stops if you have tips for other situations.

I ask, because when I have been pulled over, in most cases I have dealt with officers that are decent but not friendly.

The last truly friendly/relaxed officer I'd dealt with was one helping me off the road when my car died in the middle of traffic.
    I'd come away from that experience with a positive attitude, even though I was going to be dealing with a tow truck and a repair bill.

I understand that there are many bad people that you'll have to deal with but there are also many people out there that understand that you are doing a job that needs to be done. (even when it results in me getting a ticket)

So how can we help?
    Last edited by TeachIT; 04-14-09 at 10:14 PM.
    04-14-09 09:58 PM
    I agree with the revolver as being a good home protection gun.
    Okay, I Gotta put this in here...JUST because ya Said something about it CJ LOL!

As I would agree to a Revolver as a good Home Protection gun, I'd Rather my Wife Carry her pistol (PT111 Taurus 9mm)

and she does...BUT, If that Fails...She Always Has this :P

Loaded with Slugs and 00 Buck...Right Next to the Bed
    I pitty the poor Bastardo! that breaks into my house when Im not here and the Wife is LOL
    04-14-09 10:10 PM
    Hi guys. I'd like to say that I appreciate the hard work and stress that you have to deal with on a daily basis.
    Most Appreciated! Thanks For The Thank you There too!

Anyway I'd like to take things from a different angle
    What can the average citizen do to make an officer's lives a bit easier?

1) For instance, on a traffic stop, what are the things that we can do to help an officer feel a little safer?
    Be Respectful First off...If you act like a PITA, You'll get treated like one, Carrying a Weapon in your Car? Have a CCW, Stick your hands OUT THE WINDOW AND CALMLY ADVISE THE OFFICER you have a weapon in your vehicle...That's a BIG one!

2) What things do people do that set you on edge, that we can avoid?
    I'll let one of the other guys answer this!

No need to limit your answers to traffic stops if you have tips for other situations.

I ask, because when I have been pulled over, in most cases I have dealt with officers that are decent but not friendly.

The last truly friendly/relaxed officer I'd dealt with was one helping me off the road when my car died in the middle of traffic.
    I'd come away from that experience with a positive attitude, even though I was going to be dealing with a tow truck and a repair bill.

I understand that there are many bad people that you'll have to deal with but there are also many people out there that understand that you are doing a job that needs to be done. (even when it results in me getting a ticket)

So how can we help?[/QUOTE]

There really is a lot of ways you can "help" But the best way is to be respectful...Note too that you may not always run into an officer that is having a "good day" and there's a chance you're attitude, (as nice as you can be) may be looked at in a very smart@ss kinda way...So be prepared for that...

Not all officers are rude, Some just dont belong in the buisness
    Hope that Kinda answeres your question
    Nate
    04-14-09 10:16 PM
    I like shotguns They have such a satisfying sound to them

Anyhow, I've got a quick question... Completely irrelevant to that How much jail time would someone be looking at if they were caught moving extacy? From Canada to the US if that makes a difference
    04-14-09 10:16 PM
    lol thanks CJH just when I was getting over the fact of being terrified of guns...you put thoughts of jammed bullets, blow back, and all that other stuff into my head. I do agree though that if I simply want protection (which I do) I don't need the flash of a 9mm a simple man stopper revolver will work just fine. I have fired a gun once and I didnt drop it and run off screaming so I suppose I could stand to really learn how to use and own one responsibly. Thanks for your advice
    I'd Advise a Lady Smith in a .38special...Even the Air weights are really nice, Often have ported barrels which makes the recoil a LOT less...Check your local Gun store though...Find a revolver that fits your hand (Not just the pink one that looks Cute LOL!), And if you're planning on getting your Concealed license...Find one that you're comfortable with carrying on your persons...

My wife would give ya a GREAT review about her PT111, It's a 9mm, Pretty light weight, and I often will carry it as a back up (See that pic above?? There's also an AR in my House, along with a couple other Long Rifles, and 3 or 4 other pistols...My Wife Can Shoot...I Promise ya that :P)

Here's The One's Smith and Wesson Offer...
    Category - Small Frame (J)
    Any of those "J" Frame Revolvers are Super Small...And VERY Light weight (Dont trust the price on here..you can often find them cheaper at your local gun store...This is just MSRP)

The Taurus Ones Are Becomming a bit more Mainstreem as far as a pistol and or revolver goes...They make some pretty cool little pistols, Same Style and Smith and Wesson..at a THIRD the cost
    Taurus-Handguns.com: Taurus Ultra-Lite Series Revolvers

Hope that Helps
    04-14-09 10:24 PM
    I like shotguns They have such a satisfying sound to them

Anyhow, I've got a quick question... Completely irrelevant to that How much jail time would someone be looking at if they were caught moving extacy? From Canada to the US if that makes a difference
    Erm...That's an ICE Question...You talking with or Without a Visa??

Most of the Hispanics that I've got in my jail that are illegal have spent 6-14 months incarcerated BEFORE they're deported...

The Shotty is a Mossberg 590, 8+1...Law Enforcement Only kinda deal...Has no "plug" in it
    04-14-09 10:28 PM
    Erm...That's an ICE Question...You talking with or Without a Visa??

Most of the Hispanics that I've got in my jail that are illegal have spent 6-14 months incarcerated BEFORE they're deported...

The Shotty is a Mossberg 590, 8+1...Law Enforcement Only kinda deal...Has no "plug" in it
    No idea what you said ther Hard to get my hands on a gun up here... So I would look at close to a year in an American prison before getting sent to Canada for trial or...? Or could you end up like that Canadian kid that was selling online and has to serve two sentences(One in Canada, and when he's done here, go to serve his sentence in the states)?
    04-14-09 10:35 PM
    Good "story" but what happens when you don't get the apology or the letter? Would you still start this off the way you did.

My father was a police officer, my mother a teacher, so I understand people picking a career that most would not. Its still no excuse for when they mess up.

I do not hate cops. How can I? I sure have had a reason to do so, and I did nothing wrong and had nothing to fear.
    Yes, I would still have started it off the same. I have cops in my family, from city to the federal alphabet soup type. The thing is you can't allow one experience with a group whether it be cops or another group to color your opinion of that group.
    Last edited by ERDude; 04-14-09 at 11:19 PM.
    04-14-09 11:11 PM
    Ok I have one... And could you please answer via either pm or email?

When I was sixteen some cops set the dogs on myself and two of my mates for not letting them search our bags when walking home from school... We didn't do anything to provocative this action... Did they have the right to do this?

04-15-09 01:25 AM
    I don't know about there, but here I can and have made one party leave the residence for a specified time period.
    We strongly suggest and try to persuade someone to leave so that we don't have to come back and arrest someone. Usually that works, but, if no crime has been committed and its just a verbal domestic we technically can't make someone leave. It is their house and both parties have every right to it.

04-15-09 01:38 AM
    I need to move up there, cause my paycheck wont buy an anorexic dog supper
    Lol, it's not bad now... But not as bad as it was. We just got two new past due contracts last year that made us jump from 59 grand to 92 grand for the rank of PO. We are still behind surrounding agencies that do 1/100th the work and are working on getting bumped from 116 grand to 125 grand. They are real hairbags and complain about 116 G's! I should have joined them! Lol Keep in mind the rent, and everything else costs more here. You pay around 1600/mo for a two bedroom w/o electricity easily around here... I know some other places in the country where that could be 600! We also don't have all the cool things a lot of other departments get that would help you save money like take home cars. Although we get to ride all public transportation for free... But who wants to ride the train?

04-15-09 03:03 AM
    That's actually pretty sad. I'm not in this job for the paycheck. I actually enjoy the job. I used to do it for free. Now they pay me to do it.

I'm happy you like what you are doing. We are from two very different worlds though, because where I work nobody likes it, and if they wanted to work for free, they would be sent psych services for an evaluation. Everybody I work with would work away in a heart beat if they won the lottery... Not that there is nothing wrong with you liking what you do where you're at, but it's just a different world... I'm sure you're department, like most, have those oral board interviews to get the job and all that.... Ours, the only thing close to an interview you do with anybody is the interview you get from the pschologist during your eval in the processing. It is more like processing for the military than applying for a job... It is a civil service job, with a test, and many many seats to fill. They process many, and do the weeding during the academy you'll be stuck at the next half year before going out and doing operation impact.. The start of your field training.. It's way different, but somehow they pull it all off.. It all comes together somehow. A little different from Cupcakeville in candyland county. 13 million people.. Probably 18 with all the tourists, out of town workers, and illegals.. 36,000 cops operating as an occupational force broken into commands and precincts built like stone fortresses, hundreds of horses, a fleet of boats, 8 helicopters, even a blimp, armored personnel carriers, etc etc... Point being, for the most part, the type of people that are all into being captain america are referred to a "buffs", and get made fun of. I'm just giving you insight into the cop culture here, not saying I fully agree with it.. It just is what it is, I'm also not saying anybody is a buff, or there's anything wrong with that. But I am aware of the vast differences, I have some friends on other departments in little cities, for state pd's, and counties and I've done a ride along or two.. It's just a totally different society. You say that outlook is sad... Well, I invite you to come and try it here and see how long your boy scoutish perception of the job lasts, especially with all the hopeless animals running around out here it's just a real crappy job that makes you wish you joined up with all the perps on the FD to do nothing, sit around and sleep, get declared a hero for nothing and get payed for it. Lol.

04-15-09 03:39 AM

if your the nurse from NY in an earlier post... You're license is probably suspended in NYS, every summons you fail to appear for is a suspension on your license in NY... You get pulled over in NY with any suspensions you get collared and the car impounded. There is no summons as in some other states. Also, a lot of people get suspensions on their NY license and go get a license in some other state... NC, or PA a lot of times (I guess they don't do checks), and they think they are good with a valid license from wherever. That license may be valid outside of NY, but your driving priviledges are always going to be in the system as suspended until you go clear it up yourself, or get locked up and brought to the court.

04-15-09 03:49 AM
997 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD