View Poll Results: Why Do you NOT Like Cops?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Had a Bad Expierence At one point, where a cop was completely Rude to me for no reason

29 23.77%
  • I Just dont Like cops...

11 9.02%
  • I have reasons...(Please, Share them below..No Judgement passed by us)

15 12.30%
  • I Like Cops, I've never had a problem with them

66 54.10%
  • Other - (Please explain again in a Reply)

8 6.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    My first question wasn't answered though. In the situation you gave me, I would act the same wether off duty or on. If a citizen was in danger and I was off duty, I would announce my staus as being a police officer and take action. When you become a police officer you are sworn to protect, not just 9 to 5. Many police officers do not follow that. That's why I lost respect, not for all cops but many who treat it as a 9 to 5 job. I do have many friends that are police officers, so obviously I don't hate cops. As a matter of fact, I buy all my weapons and ammo from a gun shop owned by a police officer. I just have a problem with those as I mentioned above.
    Yeah, thats easier said than done.......you go in unarmed like that and well, i hope you have a will cause your gonna need it.

I just wish some of these people would walk a mile in our shoes before they "lose respect". Its not as easy a job as most people think it is.

Your right we did swear to uphold the law on and off duty.....what we didnt do is swear to stupidly lose our life.
    04-03-09 11:31 PM
    Is it easier to become a police officer after serving in the Marine Corps or is there no difference?
    04-03-09 11:35 PM
    Yeah, thats easier said than done.......you go in unarmed like that and well, i hope you have a will cause your gonna need it.

I just wish some of these people would walk a mile in our shoes before they "lose respect". Its not as easy a job as most people think it is.
    I modified my post after you replied to it. Most cops I know carry their weapons while off duty. An unarmed off duty cop is one thing, but an armed one is another. I also never said it was an easy job, but it is a job and you should be thankful you have one. You chose to be a cop and I respect that. If I didn't choose the field I was in I would have loved to be one also.
    04-03-09 11:36 PM
    Is it easier to become a police officer after serving in the Marine Corps or is there no difference?
    Really it depends on the dept. But it cant hur, unless you were dishonorably discharged or something.....Semper Fi
    04-03-09 11:36 PM
    I modified my post after you replied to it. Most cops I know carry their weapons while off duty. An unarmed off duty cop is one thing, but an armed one is another. I also never said it was an easy job, but it is a job and you should be thankful you have one. You chose to be a cop and I respect that. If I didn't choose the field I was in I would have loved to be one also.
    Now, Ill agree with that. If Im armed and off duty I would take action (If Im in my jurisdiction). If Im not in my jurisdiction, the least I would do is call 911 and identify myself as an off duty police officer for XXX dept and wait close till they arrive.
    04-03-09 11:39 PM
    If my wife keeps accidentally falling and hitting her face on my fist can I be held responsible because we have slippery floors?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by SkydvrZero; 04-03-09 at 11:43 PM.
    04-03-09 11:40 PM
    If my wife keeps accidentally falling and hitting her face on my fist can I be held responsible because we have slippert floors?

Its the questions like that remind me that I have plenty of job security .

If ya dont understand that, then just think about it a little.
    04-03-09 11:42 PM
    If my wife keeps accidentally falling and hitting her face on my fist can I be held responsible because we have slippert floors?

i lol'd

but on to serious business... Why do cops always look at me and stare at me like im always doing something wrong? Every time i drive past a cop they just have this look on their face like they are just trying to find any reason to pull me over. I dont think i look suspicious, i mean im just driving minding my own business. Not speeding, not swerving. Is it because of my car? i dont get it!!!
    04-03-09 11:44 PM
    i lol'd

but on to serious business... Why do cops always look at me and stare at me like im always doing something wrong? Every time i drive past a cop they just have this look on their face like they are just trying to find any reason to pull me over. I dont think i look suspicious, i mean im just driving minding my own business. Not speeding, not swerving. Is it because of my car? i dont get it!!!
    Its because sometime in your past, there was a microchip implanted into your brain. We do that for people we want to keep an eye on. Have you had any surgeries or anything?

We have a machine thats like a Lo Jack that tells us where you are and the officers are just keeping an eye on you to make sure you dont break the law. Its all legit. If you dont believe me just google it.
    04-03-09 11:47 PM
    Its because sometime in your past, there was a microchip implanted into your brain. We do that for people we want to keep an eye on. Have you had any surgeries or anything?

We have a machine thats like a Lo Jack that tells us where you are and the officers are just keeping an eye on you to make sure you dont break the law. Its all legit. If you dont believe me just google it.
    i would believe that, but ive never had surgery, or been unconsious not on my own volition before lol. And i believe they are just watching to make sure, but do they always have to have that very mean look on their face like im the scum of the earth?
    04-03-09 11:49 PM
    i would believe that, but ive never had surgery, or been unconsious not on my own volition before lol
    Well if thats the case, then they just sent in the SSS (Special Sleep Squad). I cant get into anymore than that cause this is all super secret stuff. Your in danger just knowing this much.
    04-03-09 11:51 PM
    Hey Diesel this is a great thread. What department do you work for? I'm trying to get on the force myself, but unfortunately received a letter stating that because of Denver budget cuts I would have to reapply when positions open. Also I wanted to ask where can I or not open carry a legal firearm?
    04-04-09 01:53 AM
    My first question wasn't answered though. In the situation you gave me, I would act the same wether off duty or on. If a citizen was in danger and I was off duty, I would announce my staus as being a police officer and take action. Most off duty cops I know carry their weapons with them off duty. When you become a police officer you are sworn to protect, not just 9 to 5. Many police officers do not follow that. That's why I lost respect, not for all cops but many who treat it as a 9 to 5 job. I do have many friends that are police officers, so obviously I don't hate cops. As a matter of fact, I buy all my weapons and ammo from a gun shop owned by a police officer. I just have a problem with those as I mentioned above.
    I actually think that your first question was answered... Don't look at it as a question, look at it as a whole.

Both scenarios are different. One you are already on duty, in uniform, and readily identifiable as a police officer. The second, you are off duty, in jeans and a T-shirt (I didn't give you a gun in that scenario)... Big difference.

I am NOT going to intervene with a suspect who has a knife just because I am a cop. I believe if I am to die then I want it to be my time, not because of stupidity.

Now, Yes, I do carry my gun when I am off duty, but, I don't always have it on ME. It might be stashed somewhere in the car.

What we are trained and as stated from another, southernguy0306, we would have to be in our jurisdiction (unless a felony is being commited, then I could act, and this would be a felony). I, for one DO NOT live int he same jurisdiction I work in. I live in one city, but work in another. Off track, back to what I was saying, What we are trained is, when off duty, we make better witnesses by observing then we do when we actually intervene.

If I see someone beating down another, and I have the correct utilities (gun, badge, Police ID card) then I WILL intervene.

I will not, just beacuse I am a cop, walk up and identify myself as a police officer, and EXPECT him/her to just comply. The next thing you know you are on the ground and "you" are a stab victim. Just because you thought you were a cop that this nice, peaceful, no crime, everyone listens to cops, society we live in will comply... WAKE UP!

People want to know why, well for one, some people only want to be friends with cops so they can break the law, so they can get out of a ticket, so they can do ______________ (fill in the crime) and get away with it.

We only want to be friends with other cops because we are not understood by the general public. You DO NOT know what we go through, and if you say you do, then you aught to be slapped where you stand. Sometimes other cops don't even know what we go through. But we can lean on them, because they understand. I do NOT go to my wife for support... It will not work, not with her. She will NEVER know, let alone understand what I do. And, IMHO, some people just don't care. They couldn't care less what we go through.

To answer what you did int he scenario I give you a (ok). That's what you chose to do....

To be honest, there is no answer. An officer has to make a split decision in a fraction of a second.

Yes Identify then shoot... I would've popped a cap in his @ss... You damned skippy I would have. But, I also have a back up partner, and am identifiable already... I guarantee he is not zoned in on you. He is ready to kill the victim. An officer does not identify himself as if a casual conversation (police officer) Nope... _____________(department name) POLICE, DROP THE KNIFE...NOW, DROP IT, DROP IT, DROP THE KNIFE... Plenty of warning all this can be said in a mere fraction of a second, then: BANG BANG BANG BAN BANG BANG BANG BANG.... Thud, crash (sound of body hitting the ground).

But that is me, that is the way I say it on here. NO ONE can say what they would do, NO ONE knows.

You cannot say for certain that you would do something until it actually happens... There is no way.

I also don't want anyone to think I am being harsh about this. If you met me in person off duty out of uniform, I bet you would never even know I was a cop... ever.

I also know that when someone says they had a bad experience with cops that it wasn't every time like the last 100. I mean if you had that many run ins with the police then maybe thats why, you are nothing but a career criminal. Most people exagerate so much about us and thats why we get a bad name....

For every bad cop there are at least 100 good cops if not more.

ps, also understand that as a cop we have to walk on egg shells because people record with their phone. They didn't record the guy beating his girl, but they sure got us shooting him... that made the news. "(2) two off duty police officers are under investigation today after a shooting incident that left one man dead" the incident was captured on a by-standers cell phone. In other news, the stock market........ get the idea of what we go through.... prop not, and you might not ever either.

msblueline
    Last edited by msbluelline; 04-04-09 at 04:24 AM.
    04-04-09 04:22 AM
    I saw it happen personally. I started out in a school district police department back in 1991. When I first started working there and would visit the different schools, the kids would want to talk to me. I could go into the different high schools and the teenagers would speak to me, ask me questions and would want me to sit down in the lunch room and answer questions from them while they were eating.
    As the years progressed, they stopped saying hello, started avoiding me entirely and started showing lack of respect to any and all adults.

In some cases, it was a taught response. In the mornings, I would drive around the bus stop areas and check on the children waiting. I would wave and speak to them every chance I got, trying to instill the idea that we were approachable if they needed us. One day as I drove by a stop, I waved and said good morning to some elementary students. An older middle school child grabbed her sisters hand as she stated to wave at me and yelled don�t wave at him. I had to stop and ask why she said that. She stated her parents told her not to ever trust the police. I just told her every police officer isn�t bad and drove off. It was a shame to me that young little girl was going to grow up afraid of the police especially if she needed help.
    Hi Folks, Former LEO here.

I am reminded of when I saw a young child waving at me and the parents grabbed the child and said not to talk to the Police Officer that he would take them to jail.
    I got slightly perturbed at that remark and replied that No, I wasn't going to take the child to jail, but I might take the parent to jail for saying something like that. Of course this was also in Red Neck South Carolina in the early 1980's where we had to fight everyone that had to be arrested. (it was the way it was at that time).

Sad that it is still the same bad attitudes that parents teach their children because of their ignorance.
    04-04-09 04:28 AM
    I was always taught, that if you are a sworn peace officer, to always carry no matter what. If you don't, you are leaving yourself defenseless. Especially in today's day and age, you never know. That traffic stop you did a week ago, where you cited the driver for traveling too fast in a certain speed zone... well, the guy recognizes you and is still pissed about receiving a ticket. You of course don't recognize him as you do many stops a day. When he comes up and attacks you, what will you do? You're with your family and don't have a quick way to call for help...

Obviously this is all hypothetical, but I encourage all off duty sworn officers, to carry. Not FLASH, but carry. Don't go around announcing that you are one, verbally or visibly, because that will just cause problems. But don't leave yourself defenseless.
    04-04-09 04:53 AM
    What are you guys using for a Storm case with your duty belt? I bought the Otterbox the other day and really like the protection, however the belt clip is not big enough to fit over my duty belt, so now I must look around more.

Any suggestions? I work in a Seaside community and frequently use an ATV on the beach. So i really need to protect against dust and moisture.
    04-04-09 11:33 AM
    Otterbox does make a heavy duty belt clip made to fit duty belts. I know they had it for the curve. Might check their site.

04-04-09 11:36 AM
    What I did was put my magazine case sideways and clip the otterbox clip on the flap. It doesn't hinder me getting the magazine out and puts my phone right there.

04-04-09 04:31 PM
    Hi Folks, Former LEO here.

I am reminded of when I saw a young child waving at me and the parents grabbed the child and said not to talk to the Police Officer that he would take them to jail.
    I got slightly perturbed at that remark and replied that No, I wasn't going to take the child to jail, but I might take the parent to jail for saying something like that. Of course this was also in Red Neck South Carolina in the early 1980's where we had to fight everyone that had to be arrested. (it was the way it was at that time).

Sad that it is still the same bad attitudes that parents teach their children because of their ignorance.
    To add to the awsomeness of our great society. I hate when I hear this too.

How about while I am walking through Wal-mart and I hear the little girl crying and stirring, as children do.

I then hear the mother tell her, "you see that policeman over there, if you don't start behaving, he is going to take you to jail."

I walked up to the mother, looked at her little girl and said, "no I won't honey, you misbehave all you want to, I will not take you to jail".

I looked at the mother and said "now when your daughter gets lost, don't call us, becasue thanks to you, when she see's us, she will not answer. Now she thinks she's going to jail for getting lost. In her mind, she misbehaved by getting lost."

So, is it society that is giving us a bad name too.

No wonder people hate us.

My hat is off to society,

msblueline
    04-04-09 09:35 PM
    What I did was put my magazine case sideways and clip the otterbox clip on the flap. It doesn't hinder me getting the magazine out and puts my phone right there.

I dont know what kind of duty belts ya'all have, but we have the nylon.

You know where the fastner is that is folded over on itself.

I move the slide lock over just a little and stick my finger in the loop and open it a little.

I then put the holster clip in there. (Picture below of what I am talking about.)

msblueline
    04-04-09 09:46 PM
    Are you less likely to pull someone over if you know they are public safety? Fire Leo ems that is off duty?

04-04-09 10:50 PM
    Holy ****! I leave my berry alone for 2 days, and we're up to 220 replies...That's freeking awesome!

SO...To my Brothers and Sisters in Blue, Thanks for covering for me while I was away LOL!

Joker...Drop me a PM with your pin and we'll chat...

I'll repost a couple answers later

Nate

04-05-09 10:58 AM
    You know you've run into a problem....WHEN...

your LAST reply was on page 11! LMAO!

I have to say...That other question our LOVELY friend Abraham posted was rather entertaining (Thanks Jeff for pointing it out!) As Jeff said...And Very well put, some people thrive on confrontation...And That my Friends..Is PURE job Security!

Secondly~ There's a bunch of you that added me onto your BBM's...I dont mind it, but when ya Add me...in that little box That says "<user> would like to add you to his/her Messenger list" (ya know which one I'm talking about?) FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...PLEASE put in there WHO YOU ARE...I will reject invites that say "Hey, got your pin from the Ask a Cop thread on CB" with no Name associated with them! I SERIOUSLY dont care who adds me...Well, I take that back...If Any of ya HATE cops, are SINGLE FEMALES looking for a Cop, and or just want to ask random questions...Take Care now, Buh Bye Then...I Wont add ya...

Lastly~ I've got a Link to some LEO themes I put out a while back, and I'll be updating that with a couple themes for the rest of ya who would like to download them...Personally, I dont mind creating them at all, I dont Even bother charging for them...It's fun for me to do, and I think (IMHO) that it's ******** to charge for a theme...But that's just me

I'll keep up on this thread a bit more...Took a couple days off and turned my berry off...When ya have a Little one on the way, And a wife...Priorities change, And she needs to come first...The Berry will always Be around!

My Pin 24861A8C

Be Safe...I SERIOUSLY never expected this many responses
    Nate
    04-05-09 12:50 PM
    Are you less likely to pull someone over if you know they are public safety? Fire Leo ems that is off duty?

Nope...If they break the law, They'll get pulled over...It's the officers Choice to write the citation or not
    04-05-09 12:51 PM
    Answer this, when a cop is uniform, they step in to stop a crime. When out of uniform(and I have seen this happen) A guy could be smacking his girlfriend around and does nothing to intervene.
    Truthfully~ We're NEVER off Duty, But a Lot of us CHOOSE not to carry our weapons, and wear our vests off duty....If I saw it, I'd step in to stop it...And I'll give ya an example (pissed me the **** off too!)

'bout 3 months back, One of our local Colorado Radio stations was putting on a show in Denver...It's all good! Fun times, Idiots Smoking weed and so forth right in front of me...Typical Denver concert croud...No problems!

While I was standing in line, (mind I dont drink...so If Im out in Public, I've got my Badge and Gun with me...If not a set of Cuffs close by too) This kid...TWEAKING out of his mind, Walks up to me...and says "Hey bro...Wanna buy some shrooms?" DING, DING, DING...LIGHTBULB goes off! LOL! This guy MAY be a cop! First thing that popped into my mind...But this kid was OUT of it! SEVERELY! LOL!

Mind too, I was standing with 3 OTHER police officers...All of us off duty...And I Looked at them and They knew what was going to happen...
    Needless to say, He was Hooked on Possession charges, and There just happened to be a Denver Cop right by...Still had to do a report about it...But I didnt ACTUCALLY make the Arrest...Just advised the DPD guy about what the kid had said to me...WAKE UP!!! LOL

THEN, inside the concert (here's back to your point about stepping in) I literally didnt get more than 20 feet inside when I saw a fight break out...SO OF course, We all stepped in and Broke it up...Easy enough right? And it was...They ejected the two guys, and that was that...

As the concert was ending, yet another one of probably 6 fights I saw break out in my immediate area that night took place...I Stepped in, broke it up...And Got Removed from the show! When this guy grabbed my arm, I Snapped, And Damn near put the guy in a straight arm bar and dropped hto the deck...BUT, instead, I Turned around and Showed the "Event Staff" ****** my badge, and Department ID...HE STILL told me to leave...SO, I left, Found the Head of the "event Staff" security personall and Explained the situation...Needless to say, THAT ***** ended up loosing his job for NOT letting a police officer stay in the show #1, and #2, He got a good @ss chewin' from the DPD guys for EVEN laying a hand on a Cop

There's My Take on it!
    04-05-09 01:02 PM
997 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD