View Poll Results: Why Do you NOT Like Cops?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Had a Bad Expierence At one point, where a cop was completely Rude to me for no reason

29 23.77%
  • I Just dont Like cops...

11 9.02%
  • I have reasons...(Please, Share them below..No Judgement passed by us)

15 12.30%
  • I Like Cops, I've never had a problem with them

66 54.10%
  • Other - (Please explain again in a Reply)

8 6.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Forgot To add This...Since a lot of people seem to ALWAYS want to know what Kinda guns we carry and or have..Figure I'd Run That List...And Get The Rest of my Boys in Blue to Join in as well..

I Carry The M&P .40sw For my duty weapon, Currently have a PT111 (my wife's gun) Taurus 9mm That she Loves, 30-06 and a Single Shot 22LR rifle..

I've owned everything from the Desert Eagle in .50AE (That's a Fun one to shoot at night!) to 22LR Ruger Pistols...

Favorite SO far has to be my Smith...Although, I Grew Quite fond of my Baby Eagle in .45ACP, and The 1911 I had for a while...
    Nate
    03-31-09 12:28 AM
    Forgot To add This...Since a lot of people seem to ALWAYS want to know what Kinda guns we carry and or have..Figure I'd Run That List...And Get The Rest of my Boys in Blue to Join in as well..

I Carry The M&P .40sw For my duty weapon, Currently have a PT111 (my wife's gun) Taurus 9mm That she Loves, 30-06 and a Single Shot 22LR rifle..

I've owned everything from the Desert Eagle in .50AE (That's a Fun one to shoot at night!) to 22LR Ruger Pistols...

Favorite SO far has to be my Smith...Although, I Grew Quite fond of my Baby Eagle in .45ACP, and The 1911 I had for a while...
    Nate

Thanks for the info, Ive got a Bushmaster in .223 that ive grown fond of. And a springfield XD .40sw, athough when i bought it i almost went with the sw M&P.

I also agree on the need to work in the jail before hitting the road. A lot more of a controled environment to learn in, than learning on the side of the road IMHO

I guess my other question, is NCIC the same as LEIN? while working with the SD I was doing a recidivism study for people who completed our Inmate bootcamp program and was certified to use it, just curious as to if that was just another name for it.
    03-31-09 12:35 AM
    Not sure who is a sheriff here but, where Im from the Sheriffs are required to work in the Jail before they can work patrol, is that true anywhere else?

Also I worked a summer in Oakland county jail in Michigan. I was a counseling assistant of sorts, but really was a couselor for inmates...was a truely rewarding internship and lets you see things from the other side. Obviously I have great respect for those behind the badge as I worked very closely with them, they watched my back, and I made sure to not do anything that put them at risk.

When it comes to assault rifles, do you all have one in your car at all times? If so do you pick what kind you have or are they assigned? What do you have?
    First question, here we have "white shirt civilian detention officers and blue shirt certified deputies working in the jail. The white shirts go on a list to go to the academy. The blue shirts have the option to go to patrol. It was where you come out of the academy or transfer over here that you did some time in the jail, but lately our new sheriff is trying to fortify up our numbers in patrol and is sending the new boots straight to FTO training for patrol.
    On the second, if a deputy desires to carry a rifle, he must request through his supervisor to take our manditory rifle class. Once he/she completes it, the request form is sent up to be approved by all the chain of command in patrol then it can be carried on duty. We must recertify every 6 months.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 01:05 AM
    I'm not sure what LIEN is...We run everyone we contact through NCIC/CCIC and I believe CJIS....Criminal history stuff..LOL

03-31-09 02:19 AM
    I'm not sure what LIEN is...We run everyone we contact through NCIC/CCIC and I believe CJIS....Criminal history stuff..LOL

LEIN = Law enforcement information network.

It gives access to a variety of areas to gather a persons information based on name, bday, ssn etc. dont reall all of the areas it pulls from, I know one was secretary of state or driving records.
    03-31-09 04:32 AM
    I respect cops and are happy they are keeping myself and my loved ones safe everyday. THANK YOU.

only question I have might have been answered about jurisdiction laws and boundries, but often I am going down to Delaware and buying booze for parties/holidays/ect. It's tax free (I'm from Philly) so it's waayy cheaper for me to drive down there and buy the booze. I've never had an issue, but other people warn me about doing this, and that they have been pulled over by PA state troopers waiting at the border...? any comments?
    03-31-09 11:03 AM
    1- What made you decide to become a police officer?
    2-Do you enjoy your line of work?
    3-What was the most scariest situation you've been in while on duty
    03-31-09 11:26 AM
    i never had a problem with a cop, if you are doing something wrong of course they will go up to you

however, they do intimidate me...i feel like if i see them in the streets at night, I must act my best LOL
    03-31-09 12:53 PM
    That's why I like to wear my tight uniform like Ponch and my aviator glasses!

J/K

03-31-09 12:55 PM
    Ok well I live in FL and my friend got pulled over because his "tag light was out" in Lee County by a Collier county police officer who then arrested him for DUI...I think he said he blew a .10 obviously 1 beer too many but was vene told by the officer he was driving fine...

Is it legal in this case for him to be brought into Collier County jail and charged in Collier County even though he was never in Collier County?
    Is your friend sure he was in Lee county? Remember he was drunk. Its hard to answer your question because I am not from that area. I am in south Florida. Usually county guys can only arrest in their own county. Did this deputy see the violation in Collier county and then stop him in Lee county? If so he would be jailed in Collier county.

Also Collier county might have a mutual aid agreement with Lee county and therefor he can arrest in Lee county.

Hope this helps a little.

03-31-09 02:04 PM
    1- What made you decide to become a police officer?
    2-Do you enjoy your line of work?
    3-What was the most scariest situation you've been in while on duty
    Good Call~ Seems like your writing a Term paper on Cops LOL! No offense

1. Deceided to get into Law Enforcement (on the Streets) After having gone through Aviation Maintence School...Once I Graduated, I Went back to College For Criminal Justice, And That's Where it all started...Back in 01 LOL Deceided on Police Work, Rather than what I was setting out to do as a Criminal Lawyer (still thinking I made the right Choice there...LOL) After 9/11...

2. I Love it! Wouldnt Trade what I do for the world At all...I've run into a couple people that are in the buisness that dont like it...And It brings me to ask.."Why Are you a Cop then?" Catch my Drift? LOL

3. Havent Really had anything too frightening happen...I've run into a couple of Strange one's in the jail, and stories that are pretty normal for a jail setting...Can tell ya one of them, I Had a female who deceided not to pay attention to another Deputies commands (this is the short version BTW, And She was a big 'ol girl...300+ pounder) And it took 4 of us (pretty stout guys) to bring her down to the Deck...She Stood up and Spit in my face...Caught a Felony 6 out of it...That's really about it from my end I Guess...
    03-31-09 03:28 PM
    - Following / running plates - is there not a law that prevents law enforcement to follow a car more than three turns (or something of the like) because it is "harassment"?
    What, because a cop happens to be driving along the same route as you? It's a public road, I often follow or get followed by the same car for miles on some routes.
    03-31-09 03:29 PM
    only question I have might have been answered about jurisdiction laws and boundries, but often I am going down to Delaware and buying booze for parties/holidays/ect. It's tax free (I'm from Philly) so it's waayy cheaper for me to drive down there and buy the booze. I've never had an issue, but other people warn me about doing this, and that they have been pulled over by PA state troopers waiting at the border...? any comments?
    I can't answer that one...Its kind of like us here in Colorado Going to buy Fireworks in Wyoming..IT happens all the time, and people do get caught...Mostly just a Fine and ya loose your Fourth of July party...If it's the same there, Then I'd say you COULD potentially loose your Booze, And so forth..
    03-31-09 03:30 PM
    What, because a cop happens to be driving along the same route as you? It's a public road, I often follow or get followed by the same car for miles on some routes.
    There's No Law that Dictates how far I can Follow you...As It was said Before...I can follow until I Run out of gas, Or you do...If I'd Choose...

But Branta has a point...Public Roads, Same Route...Or You're just watching how you drive...There's a THOUSAND reasons Why I COULD Follow you
    03-31-09 03:33 PM
    Ok well I live in FL and my friend got pulled over because his "tag light was out" in Lee County by a Collier county police officer who then arrested him for DUI...I think he said he blew a .10 obviously 1 beer too many but was vene told by the officer he was driving fine...

Is it legal in this case for him to be brought into Collier County jail and charged in Collier County even though he was never in Collier County?
    Going back to the first post, no legal advice - this is a jurisdiction issue and can only be ruled by the court which hears the case.
    03-31-09 04:03 PM
    i'll just say a few things..
    i'd like to start off by saying..i like most cops..MOST of them..
    but there is that occasional a-hole cop who thinks he's a tough guy bc he has a badge and a gun..people like that should be screened out..
    personally, i served in the navy and get respect from most cops (excluding state troopers..they were always tougher for some reason)..but some of my marine friends are just there to shoot and kill..same thing i guess as the "mr. tough" cops..
    also, cops who pull you over for speeding (while you're really just maintaining the speed of the traffic) and give you the excuse they're just trying to make the highway safer..
    make the highway safer..let everyone go the same speed as those driving around them..
    slow drivers are more dangerous than fast ones!

but to all the cops out there..stay professional and thanks for serving!
    03-31-09 04:10 PM
    Just saw this. You had a good idea to start this thread, let cops answer questions from the public. I don't think that people understand what we do or why we do it sometimes.
    03-31-09 04:30 PM
    So i finally have a question...

Why am i told by the cops that they cannot do anything when my ex kidnaps my daughter? I have court documents saying i have custody and she should be with me. I waas literally told "its a civil matter maam you would have to take him to court. he could keep her as long as he wants until you take him to court"

Please someone tell me the logic in this?!?!
    03-31-09 04:35 PM
    Just saw this. You had a good idea to start this thread, let cops answer questions from the public. I don't think that people understand what we do or why we do it sometimes.
    i agree..sometimes they don't..
    but i don't think it's completely their fault..
    media? some ***** cops?
    03-31-09 04:39 PM
    So i finally have a question...

Why am i told by the cops that they cannot do anything when my ex kidnaps my daughter? I have court documents saying i have custody and she should be with me. I waas literally told "its a civil matter maam you would have to take him to court. he could keep her as long as he wants until you take him to court"

Please someone tell me the logic in this?!?!
    Ok, don't know your exact situation but; A divorce is a civil order from Superior court. The typical remedy is to go back to the superior court and make a complaint there stating that the other party is violating the court order. Very few criminal laws apply to that situation, but the superior court judge can impose some penalties.

In some states there are access interference or custodial interference laws which may apply. Frequently people want the police to interpet court orders relating to visitation times and which parent gets which weekend. You woudn't believe how many times I have been asked to arrest a ex for bringing the kids back a half hour late. Also most departments have policies that forbid officers to remove kids from a parent absent exigent circumstances.

I would check online and see if there are any of these laws in your state and show the responding officers how your ex is violating them. Also a call to your State's Attorney's Office may provide you with some remedies available to you.

Hopes this helps, these custody matters are terrible situations and we hate dealing with them because often our hands are tied too.
    03-31-09 04:54 PM
    Ok, don't know your exact situation but; A divorce is a civil order from Superior court. The typical remedy is to go back to the superior court and make a complaint there stating that the other party is violating the court order. Very few criminal laws apply to that situation, but the superior court judge can impose some penalties.

In some states there are access interference or custodial interference laws which may apply. Frequently people want the police to interpet court orders relating to visitation times and which parent gets which weekend. You woudn't believe how many times I have been asked to arrest a ex for bringing the kids back a half hour late. Also most departments have policies that forbid officers to remove kids from a parent absent exigent circumstances.

I would check online and see if there are any of these laws in your state and show the responding officers how your ex is violating them. Also a call to your State's Attorney's Office may provide you with some remedies available to you.

Hopes this helps, these custody matters are terrible situations and we hate dealing with them because often our hands are tied too.
    thank you for the explination...all i could get out of the 15 cops i spoke with is "its a civil matter we cant do anything" so thank you for clearing it up
    03-31-09 06:43 PM
    If you are wanting to become a police officer, but don't want to because of the horror stories, then why not become a police officer and become one of the GOOD GUYS.

Don't NOT do something because of something else.

It's like this:

If there is a bowl of apples and one of the apples is bad, then yes, eventually all the apples will go bad...BUT, not if you remove the bad apple!

Also, this is not to say that all the cops will become bad because of one. It is more of the image I am talking about rather than the officers themselves.

I do believe that ALL officers get a bad image because of one tough bad @$$.

In the last (2) two nights, I have been thanked by (5) five people, AFTER giving them a DUI.

They thanked me for treating them like a human being. I talk to them, ask them where they work, make casual conversation.

Just because one had a bad run in with an officer doesn't mean all the officers are the same way.

Understand this also, the public (YOU) have a RIGHT to file a formal complaint against an officer with their supervisor. It will get investigated. (Just remember, we do have cameras, and microphones. The supervisors will pull the video and investigate it. If you are caught filing a FALSE report, you can and might be charged for it. It is AGAINST the law here to file a false report.)

I do believe that not all charges warrant a TOUGH COP image.

I will be nice until I CANNOT be nice anymore. (that means they changed it, not me.)

Be the one who changes the image of the public. Be that police officer you want the public to see. Don't let one officer ruin what you want to do.

msblueline
    Thanks for reading the message.

More than 1 situation when i've heard about this 1 cop. Many situations where cops have pulled me over.. I'll write about them later, its pretty funny.
    and... like I said, it wasn't me who was pulled over in that situation, and that I wanted her to pull me over, so I can finally write a report about it. Been getting pretty ridiculous on how many people shes pulled over just cuz she feels like she can. I know theres the "probable cause" clause.. but theres a point where even thats a bit ludicrous. Some situations cops just pull people on their own person whim.

And a friend of mine is going to try being that "good" cop. Kind of want to join him in the training, but also want to see how well it works out. We have some pretty bad cops out here. (los angeles) We'll see what happens.
    03-31-09 06:47 PM
    . Deceided to get into Law Enforcement (on the Streets) After having gone through Aviation Maintence School...Once I Graduated, I Went back to College For Criminal Justice, And That's Where it all started...Back in 01 LOL Deceided on Police Work, Rather than what I was setting out to do as a Criminal Lawyer (still thinking I made the right Choice there...LOL) After 9/11...

2. I ..
    if you went thru Aviation maintenance school why do you keep asking me questions about vehicles??? LOL i should be asking you!!
    03-31-09 06:56 PM
    Do you have a "dummest criminal" story you can share for a good laugh?? P.S. Stay safe!!!!

03-31-09 08:36 PM
    Well there was the drunk guy who was fighting with his wife while driving. He actually drove to the jail and asked me to arrest her. He was almost three times over the legal limit. At least he didn't have to ride to jail in the back of a police car.

03-31-09 09:10 PM
997 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD