View Poll Results: Why Do you NOT Like Cops?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Had a Bad Expierence At one point, where a cop was completely Rude to me for no reason

29 23.77%
  • I Just dont Like cops...

11 9.02%
  • I have reasons...(Please, Share them below..No Judgement passed by us)

15 12.30%
  • I Like Cops, I've never had a problem with them

66 54.10%
  • Other - (Please explain again in a Reply)

8 6.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    What's your favorite donut???

(Hahahaha... sorry Nate, had to.)

This actually has potential to be a great thread. Hopefully people will utilize it.
    OMFG!!! that's too funny!!!
    03-29-09 10:54 PM
    Police aren't any different than anyone else. There are good police officers, bad police officers, aggressive police officers and lazy ones. There are also rigid, by the book officers and those who make judgment calls based on their experience. I state the obvious because some tend to put police on pedestals and others want nothing more than to tear them down - as we've seen in this thread. There's Diesel who is reaching out to civilians to try and educate the public and then there's Moose for who it seems police can do no wrong. Again stating the obvious to make the point that police officers are just like the rest of us. They have good days and bad days. Happy days where they'll let you go with a warning and grumpy days where you're going to get a ticket no matter what.
    I work for a municipal government at a wastewater treatment plant and serve on various city committees with police sergeants and other police managers and know most of them to be decent men and women who care about their community and the citizens they serve. I go shooting and four wheeling with a couple I trust implicitly - although there's one I want to be behind when he shoots, . I think it would be a pretty dangerous world without them and I appreciate what they do for us.
    To finish, I'll add that my Great-Grand Father was a police officer who was killed in the line of duty - in 1927. I don't know how different my Grandmother and Mother's lives would have been had he survived, but his loss was devastating for my Grandmother who talked about him often. I can say she was never bitter about losing him, just proud.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-09 11:07 PM
    Exelant....
    I can't thank ya enough for your comment up there...The reason this thread was started truthfully, was for that purpose...

Just as I understand, and I believe it was mentioned by another officer...There's good and bad cops in every agency, and more often than not, its the bad ones that YOU, the general public run into...In part, making every cop look like an *** because of one persons actions... Sad, but that's the way it works.

I would agree as well with the Lazy and Aggressive, Ridgid, and so forth...I tend to pride myself on being very proactive, not reactive...Aggressive and far from lazy...I can't speak for everyone I know in this buisness, But all the LEO's I've talked with on CB are the same way...In fact, Kevin, Russ, Tim(Our resident officer from the UK..LOL), Jeff, Chris, CJ, Mikey, Jimmy and the rest of the LEO's here ALL have this very positive work ethic (just from what I've seen, and talked with them about)...

We have what I'd like to call "Cop Humor"(thanks Kevin) A lot of times...Its pretty Dry LOL! But we understand it...I bring this up to make a point...Its a conversation I had with Mikey last night...

Its often hard for Cops to vent about their day to their significant others, and or friends...Mainly because as much as they try to understand what we do, They really don't...

We've come to CB not just to talk with other cops, but to ask questions and so forth, just like everyone else...Its kind of like our "stress relief" if you will...because while you all may have knowledge of what we do...I Promise, you don't...I'm not trying to be rude either...

Still, I'm glad this thread has had this many responses, and I'm MORE than happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability...

Most of all though...I want to thank all of ya for asking these questions..and close with this (yeah Chris and CJ, this time...no copy and paste LOL)....Thanks again to all of you WHO are being honest about why you dislike cops...I don't expect to change your minds, But its good to know why you dislike us....
    pin:24861a8c
    Nate

03-30-09 11:25 AM
    Ok...so yeah...now MY thumbs hurt! LOL
    03-30-09 11:30 AM
    If I get you on radar and you are in fact speeding, then it doesnt matter where you go, I can pursue you and write you a ticket.
    I'm an Ohio resident .. if it matters. Just further questions on this topic:

- If you don't engage in pursuit, i.e. turn on your lights, and I pull in to a parking lot, car in park and keys out of the ignition (all still before you engage), then to my knowledge (proven in a few cases I am aware of) you cannot receive a moving violation.

- Following / running plates - is there not a law that prevents law enforcement to follow a car more than three turns (or something of the like) because it is "harassment"?

As for the topic, I don't have any issues with law enforcement really. I've been picked on for driving a "suspicious vehicle" (lowered pickup with "flashy" wheels) and being young, but I've also been in the wrong and corrected within reason. I've been let off for something stupid, and cited for something (IMO) ridiculous. I won't rant about them here, though. The way I look at it, you're doing your job, most of the time to the best of your ability.
    03-30-09 11:39 AM
    Thanks Diesel,
    I live not too far from you in Douglas County and work for a South Metro area city - not Denver, haha, actually my plant is a regional plant, 3rd largest in the state. I know you officers get a lot of abuse and are tested constantly. It is a credit to you all that we don't hear of more problem officers - I know for a fact I would not be able to keep my temper under the conditions you work. I can add to people on this thread that if you treat an officer who pulls you over with respect and courtesy, you might not get a ticket depending on your record. But if you do get a ticket, your attitude has a lot to do with how you're treated by the court afterward. The judge reads the officer's comments about the traffic stop, and if you're a ****, the judge will know about it and you will be less likely to get a fine or point reduction.

Diesel, my wife's the barrel racer I mentioned in the horse thread. We may just run into each other at a rodeo soon. You know me right away, I'll be the the guy doing all the feeding, grooming, and saddling - or I'll be sitting on my camp chair, leaning against the trailer texting on my BlackBerry with my heeler at my feet, lol.

Last edited by exelant; 03-30-09 at 12:17 PM.
    03-30-09 12:08 PM
    LOL! I actucally Don't live up in Denver...I'm North of it in Greeley, Just work West of the springs...

Out of the Horse circut for a while, I had to put my mare down a while back, and we've got a baby on the way

Add me if ya want, pin:24861a8c
    Stay safe
    Nate

03-30-09 01:04 PM
    Officer walks up, identifies himself and requests my documents. Then he asks me, "Do you know its illegal in the state of NJ to talk on your cellphone while driving?" I respond yes, and he then asks, "Why were you talking on your cellphone?" I reply, "I was not." (He asks the same question 2 more times as if I am going to say yes.) He walks back to the patrol car. (to check my documents I assume)
    I'm not sure why a cop would even bother to write a ticket for talking on a cell phone when they know the person wasn't. It's such an easy thing to prove one way or another by simply pulling your cell phone records. The citation will surely have a date and time you can match to when you received or made a call on your cell phone. The same thing goes for sending text messages. It sounds like the cop who pulled you over wasn't the brightest tool in the shed. You could have offered him your cell phone so he could check when you last made or received a call.

Here is my question.

Is the police motto still to "serve and protect"? If so, why do some police officers act like you're there to serve them and why are some out to get you instead of protect you?

I don't have any horror stories about cops and I don't have anything against them either. I like that they are there for us. Although in my hometown the cops are notorious for harassing people. I have only ever been pulled over a couple of times but never in my home town. I grew up in a very safe suburb where nothing of any significance ever happens but we have a significant amount of police officers. When they pull over somebody from 16-25 years old they always want to search the vehicle, even when they commit a minor traffic violation. They also call 3-4 other officers who show up every time they pull a young kid over. When I see a young kid pulled over there are 4 police officers and 4 cars there. This is completely unnecessary.

A friend of mine recently became a police officer, though. He's one of the good ones, though.
    03-30-09 01:11 PM
    Here is my question.

Is the police motto still to "serve and protect"? If so, why do some police officers act like you're there to serve them and why are some out to get you instead of protect you?
    I would say that's the "motto" we're kind of instilled with...However, it's kind of outdated IMO...While we ALL tend to abide by it, some beleive exactly what you said...that YOU (the General Public) are here to serve us...Instead of the right way about it being We're here to protect you...Another Case of Good Cop, Versus Bad Cop...

I was trained with a simplistic mentality (a good one, but simple) Treat the Public (even if they are in a jail) with the respect you'd like to be treated with...And That's how I conduct myself from day to day with work and my personal life...I work in a Jail...Full of Manipulation and many other things..The key again, is treating them how you'd want to be treated...There are some I SEVERELY dislike, But as long as they respect me, I'll give them the ammount of respect they "need" back...Of course, Within reason
    Nate
    03-30-09 01:32 PM
    I'm an Ohio resident .. if it matters. Just further questions on this topic:

- If you don't engage in pursuit, i.e. turn on your lights, and I pull in to a parking lot, car in park and keys out of the ignition (all still before you engage), then to my knowledge (proven in a few cases I am aware of) you cannot receive a moving violation.

- Following / running plates - is there not a law that prevents law enforcement to follow a car more than three turns (or something of the like) because it is "harassment"?

As for the topic, I don't have any issues with law enforcement really. I've been picked on for driving a "suspicious vehicle" (lowered pickup with "flashy" wheels) and being young, but I've also been in the wrong and corrected within reason. I've been let off for something stupid, and cited for something (IMO) ridiculous. I won't rant about them here, though. The way I look at it, you're doing your job, most of the time to the best of your ability.
    That might just be your states law, but I know I went to pull someone over and they pulled into their garage and got out and was attempting to get into their house before I made it to them and they still got the citation (plus two others for running). All I had to do was prove it was the car, and then again thats where my dash cam comes into play.

As far as how long I can follow someone. I can follow someone as long as I want to, as long as they are in my jurisdiction. Now if they commit an infraction, I can then pursue them till they stop, and Ill run em till the tires fall off
    03-30-09 07:05 PM
    jrd231psu;2125120]I'm not sure why a cop would even bother to write a ticket for talking on a cell phone when they know the person wasn't. It's such an easy thing to prove one way or another by simply pulling your cell phone records. The citation will surely have a date and time you can match to when you received or made a call on your cell phone. The same thing goes for sending text messages. It sounds like the cop who pulled you over wasn't the brightest tool in the shed. You could have offered him your cell phone so he could check when you last made or received a call.
    That would take to long, plus, I will not do anything that will cause a distraction for my safety. That includes looking at your cell phone minutes used, opening your insurance envelope to take out the card. It is a safety issue for me. Cannot answer for other officers

Here is my question.

I would have to say to a point, "Serve and Protect". I really believe that law enforcement became more tactical after 9/11. Also after more officers are killed.

People really have to understand we don't know who we stop. Kid or not, they may look innocent, but may have just killed their family.

We don't know who you are. You may be just as innocent as a baby just born... I don't know that. I don't care if you're black, white, tan, red, yellow, that doesn't mean I know you.

Of all things, MY safety comes first. That doesn't mean I would not risk my life to save someone. That means on that particular traffic stop, when it comes time to decide who goes home... It will be ME!

As it was stated in a particular thread, until someone has actually walked in my shoes, they will NEVER understand what we deal with, how we feel on a particular call.

Some officers have to find the strength to keep from pulling their gun and blowig the suspect away. Through training and EXPERIENCE, we find it.

So in essence, we do protect and serve, but this is not the same world it used to be many years ago.

I don't have any horror stories about cops and I don't have anything against them either. I like that they are there for us.
    Thank you...

Although in my hometown the cops are notorious for harassing people.
    That is everywhere!

I have only ever been pulled over a couple of times but never in my home town. I grew up in a very safe suburb where nothing of any significance ever happens but we have a significant amount of police officers. When they pull over somebody from 16-25 years old they always want to search the vehicle, even when they commit a minor traffic violation. They also call 3-4 other officers who show up every time they pull a young kid over. When I see a young kid pulled over there are 4 police officers and 4 cars there. This is completely unnecessary.
    Can't answer why that is... Sounds like they're all bored.

A friend of mine recently became a police officer, though. He's one of the good ones, though.
    You said he is one of the good ones, let's hope he stays that way...

I too believe that I am one of the good ones, but, how I treat one person (and treat another the exact same way) the other may think I am being abusive. Yet nothing changed.

Look at grandma (no offense) driving 25 mph in a 45 mph zone. You come flying by her at 45 mph. She calls the police and says that some one is reckless all over the road. She is not perceiving it the same way. You are not reckless, you are doing the speed limit. It is her misconception.

I am in no way saying that there is always a misconceptionan yes there are bad cops. "The Shield" some think they have to do no matter what, no matter what law gets broken.

So in essence, you cannot always believe what you hear from other people stopped by the police. They just didn't like the way they were treated (actually they didn't want the ticket so they cry to the department "he was rude to me" in hopes of getting out of the ticket)..., yet the same action was taken on someone else who thanked them. (no offense meant to anyone, just an example)

Not me!

I try and stay on the good side.

msblueline

Last edited by msbluelline; 03-30-09 at 08:15 PM.
    03-30-09 07:57 PM
    heres a few....
    1- Do PBA cards work?
    2- Whats the best way to show or introduce the card(I was told for ex when an officer asks for your license you give it to him along with your license)
    3-I know a Sergeant. Can they provide those parking cards you place in your car and park anywhere?
    03-30-09 08:15 PM
    heres a few....
    1- Do PBA cards work?
    2- Whats the best way to show or introduce the card(I was told for ex when an officer asks for your license you give it to him along with your license)
    3-I know a Sergeant. Can they provide those parking cards you place in your car and park anywhere?
    1- PBA cards dont work here, but if your another officer your ID or badge will work.
    2- Dont know since we dont have PBA cards lol.
    3- We also dont have those cards here, but then again, our parking is pretty lenient around here too.

Hope I helped a little lol
    03-30-09 08:18 PM
    1- PBA cards dont work here, but if your another officer your ID or badge will work.
    2- Dont know since we dont have PBA cards lol.
    3- We also dont have those cards here, but then again, our parking is pretty lenient around here too.

Hope I helped a little lol
    cops can give friends badges?
    03-30-09 08:22 PM
    heres a few....
    1- Do PBA cards work?
    I appreciate the support of those who do support the PBA, but that doesn't mean you will get out of a ticket, or not get arrested for breaking the law. In actuallity, by you being a supporter means you support what I do, even if that means you get the ticket... you support it.

I would not even show anything. It isn't going to be any less on you

I don't know what cards you are refering to.

msblueline
    03-30-09 08:23 PM
    i dont understand your answer to #1
    Around here they dont give out PBA cards (from the way I understand it thats just in the northeast, but I may be wrong). But an officers ID card or their badge works down here like a PBA card works.
    03-30-09 08:23 PM
    Around here they dont give out PBA cards (from the way I understand it thats just in the northeast, but I may be wrong). But an officers ID card or their badge works down here like a PBA card works.
    I forgot to add as long as your the officer lol. If not then we are getting into the realm of impersonating lol.
    03-30-09 08:27 PM
    I don't know what cards you are refering to.

msblueline
    Its the laminated card you place in your car on the dashboard by the vehicles registration. I dont knwo what it says but I seen some say "official vehicles" and
    has the officer id number or something I dont know if its the same in other states.
    03-30-09 08:27 PM
    OK,

Communication, communication, communication...

Are we talking about the same PBA...

I am refering to the "Police Benevolent Association"

Is there a free get out of jail card that I am not aware of.

I just want to make sure I am on track with everyone else.

msblueline
    Last edited by msbluelline; 03-30-09 at 08:30 PM.
    03-30-09 08:28 PM
    OK,

Communication, communication, communication...

Are we talking about the same PBA...

I am refering to the "Police Benevolent Association"

Is there a free get out of jail card that I am not aware of.

I just want to make sure I am on track with everyone else.

msblueline
    no pba questions are done im referring to question 3 lol
    03-30-09 08:32 PM
    That Really depends on their agency Policy...We Dont Use those here or PBA Cards, So I can't say...I know that if We DO have to go somewhere that requires special parking (off duty) We pay for it...
    03-30-09 11:05 PM
    Im Most Impressed...As are a couple of the other Cops That are Responding in here!

We've had this Thread open for 2 Days now, And 122 Replies...That's Great!

It's good to hear all of these questions, And Thanks...Not only for asking the questions, But For being honest on why IF you do, Dislike Police Officers...

Again, To wrap up a bunch of things, None of us on here are "out to get you" per say...Frankly, We Enjoy answering the questions ya'll have for us, Even if its a pretty strange one (Gotta refer back to the comment about the weed in the sunroof...That one Takes the Cake, Damn made me fall out of my chair laughing...)

SO~ Thanks Again, I'll be around to answer what I can, again to the best of my ability, and without over-stepping my bounds as a Police Officer

Pin is in the profile, If you'd like to add me..go ahead, But Make sure you TELL me who you are BEFORE you add me, Otherwise, I'll Just reject it...And One last thing on that topic...Dont think Just because you've got ANY of the cops on here on your BBM...That we'll get ya out of a ticket
    Nate
    03-30-09 11:11 PM
    I presume what I mentioned isn't the same thing everyone is talking about.

The only time we get special parking is when we get a parking permit for jury duty.

We don't have any kind of special parking permits for anything (other then jury duty).

msblueline

03-30-09 11:15 PM
    Not sure who is a sheriff here but, where Im from the Sheriffs are required to work in the Jail before they can work patrol, is that true anywhere else?

Also I worked a summer in Oakland county jail in Michigan. I was a counseling assistant of sorts, but really was a couselor for inmates...was a truely rewarding internship and lets you see things from the other side. Obviously I have great respect for those behind the badge as I worked very closely with them, they watched my back, and I made sure to not do anything that put them at risk.

When it comes to assault rifles, do you all have one in your car at all times? If so do you pick what kind you have or are they assigned? What do you have?
    03-31-09 12:07 AM
    Not sure who is a sheriff here but, where Im from the Sheriffs are required to work in the Jail before they can work patrol, is that true anywhere else?

When it comes to assault rifles, do you all have one in your car at all times? If so do you pick what kind you have or are they assigned? What do you have?
    Im A Deputy Sheriff, It's pretty well required here in Colorado, Although I've seen a couple guys that Left my agency...and Came back, get "pushed" through the jail BACK to patrol...I'd guess it depends again on the Agency your with..Personally (No offense to the rest of my Brothers and Sisters out there in the field) But working in a jail, You come out to be a better (and sometimes worse) Officer when you DO hit the road...Simply because you know how to talk to people...

As far as assault rifles go, We Carry M-16's in the patrol cars at all times, I beleive they're Colts....Personally, I Had an M4-A3 Bushmaster...Sold it to a while back, and Im going to end up with a DPMS Panther M4-A2 (The only difference is The A3 has a removable carry handle, and the A2 Does not...something else with the rear sight too..But that's slipping my mind at the moment LOL!) Most agencies have the Mossberg 500 or Remmington 870's as Shotguns in their Vehicles just to eliminate that question

Tuned my M4 pretty well, Dual Magazines, Nice Red-Dot Scope, Tac Light, Green Laser, Flash Hider, Lighter Trigger...It was Fun..LOL!
    Here's an OLD pic of me shooting it...It still amuses me, But There was a Day My wife and I went out shooting...And She outshot me not once..But TWICE with it LOL! Then, I Bought her a Pistol :P Taurus PT111 in 9mm...She Shoots Just as good, If not better than most of the other guys I've seen out shooting..including some of my buddies! Ha ha!
    03-31-09 12:25 AM
997 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD