Unfortunately I don't disagree with him regarding the consumer side of things and apps. I think some people may purchase the phone expecting full Android app availability and compatibility, and with Amazon app store we know that there are many apps missing; the app gap is closed a little more, but the full app experience won't be there compared to Android and iOS. I'm losing optimism for the future of the consumer side of things; Chen is doing exactly as he said he would: retrench into the corporate side of things.

That being said, I for one fully enjoy my Z30, but I wonder, with Google Play Services becoming more and more prevalent on apps, whether new apps will be less and less available. My hope is that if there is a pick up in phone sales, native developers will come back. It's a cart and horse thing.

Bottom line, no matter how good the phone is, the ecosystem will still lag. It's still about the apps.
    I think if BlackBerry and amazon was clever, they will create a service which replaces google play services.

Im sure its not rocket science. What google play services basically is google app integration (with maps, plus, now etc) and their cloud, payment systems etc.

Differentiate or Die
    07-31-14 10:55 AM
    The supposition that apps will become "more and more dependent on Google Play Services" is kind of an Amerocentric view. If the US were the only market in the world, I'd agree with you.

The majority of the Android handsets sold elsewhere in the world aren't GPlay compatible, though. Many of them are the cheapie Chinese ones that are noncompliant with the Open Handset Alliance, or they're forks like the Nokia X or the new Amazon phone, or they're others like the Firefox mobile OS, Sailfish, or BB10 that can run Android apps. Any developer who produces exclusively for GPlay ignores all of these users.

In some cases, devs are producing two versions of an Android app, one that's compatible with GPlay and one that doesn't need it, so as to hit both markets.

Also, there's Snap. Sure, it has to be sideloaded, but if a user has a friend with Snap, they can just get that friend to download APKs and send them over NFC or even BBM. I do it all the time for co-workers who can't sideload on their BB10 work phones.

Apps aren't everything, and I'm actually holding out hope that BB10 will still eventually catch on, but I also know that the platform doesn't have a hope without actually selling phones.
    I agree with much of what you're saying. I also use Snap and grab apk files for family members, but this is not a solution for the vast majority of people.

Perhaps I am amerocentric or rather canadacentric. I just hope you're correct that devs will develop for GPS and non GPS.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 10:58 AM
    I think if BlackBerry and amazon was clever, they will create a service which replaces google play services.

Im sure its not rocket science. What google play services basically is google app integration (with maps, plus, now etc) and their cloud, payment systems etc.

Differentiate or Die
    I think Amazon has done that to a certain extent. For example, you can do in app purchases in games like Candy Crush.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 11:00 AM
    I agree with much of what you're saying. I also use Snap and grab apk files for family members, but this is not a solution for the vast majority of people.

Perhaps I am amerocentric or rather canadacentric. I just hope you're correct that devs will develop for GPS and non GPS.

Posted via CB10
    I think the big test is going to be ART. I'm not clear if ART is actually going to be part of Android, or if it's going to be maintained in Google's proprietary layer along with GPlay Services (though I'm pretty sure it actually will be open-sourced).

Even so, there are going to continue to be tens of millions of customers who are not reachable through GPlay. Developers won't want to ignore these users.
    07-31-14 11:08 AM
    Hahaha great article! Thanks for posting, I've already shared it with my circles. Man, he's going to get so many more hits now! I'm assuming that was your intention by posting the link, right? Well, you're welcome
    07-31-14 02:05 PM
    Hahaha great article! Thanks for posting, I've already shared it with my circles. Man, he's going to get so many more hits now! I'm assuming that was your intention by posting the link, right? Well, you're welcome
    Hmm. 2 more hits from him. ... 1 from you and the other one from your "circles"

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    07-31-14 02:16 PM
    I think Amazon has done that to a certain extent. For example, you can do in app purchases in games like Candy Crush.

Posted via CB10
    The Amazon version of Candy Crush is from October 15, 2013..... The Android version gets updates almost every month, and the latest version is July 5, 2014.....

Yes Amazon could create their own Services... but it takes the owner and developers of said apps (not going to be Google apps) being willing to tweak and submit their apps to Amazon to make that work. And we all know just how willing developer are to support another platform - even it it is easy.

One reason Amazon most likely agree to the deal with BlackBerry is the expanded user base and the ability to show developers and extra 5 - 10 million users . I'm sure Amazon is worried about the direction that Google is going in, and I'm sure they are planning on their own Services in order to reassure developers that they too are interested in stopping piracy. But at the same time they know that many developers have ignored Amazon up to this point and that even the ones like KING have not supported it fully. But add BlackBerry and the much hoped to be successful (don't see it) Kindle Phone to the mix and the user base might reach a point where it hits critical mass and becomes fully supported by developers.
    gebco and Thunderbuck like this.
    07-31-14 03:14 PM
    I think the big test is going to be ART. I'm not clear if ART is actually going to be part of Android, or if it's going to be maintained in Google's proprietary layer along with GPlay Services (though I'm pretty sure it actually will be open-sourced).

Even so, there are going to continue to be tens of millions of customers who are not reachable through GPlay. Developers won't want to ignore these users.
    As I understand, ART will replace Dalvik RT inside AOSP. Its already present in KitKat and can be enabled in developer options.
    07-31-14 04:38 PM

Eazzy Peazzy
    08-04-14 11:50 PM
    Does this meen we like it or not cause I is confused see?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 10:13 AM
    Then again I was born confused?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 10:13 AM
    200 comments? Must be the most he ever get in his lifetime. Those who actually read and comment on his piece just extended his "career" of blogging further along. Just imagine you are the source that plump up his resume. If you do not like his opinion don't approve of him by reading or commenting any of his articles. I know it's like an accident or a roadkill that one sometimes could not resist slowing down and take a peek. But backing up the traffic to watch a crushed animal is not helping the cause either.
    08-05-14 10:31 AM
    Hoo?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 12:54 PM
63 123