I was looking into ipod touch 4g until I ran into this bad boy (Archos 4.3). Anyone have any inputs on archos devices?

Electric Echoes: Apple iPod Touch 4G vs Archos 43 Internet Tablet

Copy and pasted from the website

Processor:
    The Archos features an ARM Cortex A8 @1GHz paired with DSP

The Apple iPod Touch features an 1GHz A4 processor, which is also Cortex A8-based.

Winner - Draw

OS and Applications
    The iPod Touch features iOS 4 and full access to the iTunes app library. No visible file-structure is accessible to users, content can only be transferred to the device using iTunes.

The Archos 43IT features Android 2.2, but is limited to using apps from the AppsLib. However, users can access the file-structure and transfer whatever they want to the device.

Winner - Draw

Web browsing:
    Android 2.2 browser has proven faster on a Nexus One (1GHz) than iOS Safari on the iPhone 4G (same hardware as iPod Touch). Source. The Archos features full Flash 10.1 support. The iPod Touch does not.

Winner - Archos 43 Internet Tablet

Audio support:
    The iPod Touch supports AAC, MP3, Audible, Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV audio formats

The Archos 43IT supports MP3, WMA, WAV (PCM/ADPCM), AAC, OGG Vorbis, FLAC and AC3 audio formats.

Winner - Archos 43IT

Video support
    The iPod Touch supports the following video codecs:

* H264 (Main Profile @ L3.1) up to 720p 30fps.

* M-JPEG

Container support is limited to just MP4, M4V and MOV

The Archos 43 Internet Tablet supports the following video codecs:

* MPEG-2 (the video codec used on DVDs) up to 576p

* MPEG-4 Part II (Xvid/DivX) up to 720p 30fps

* H.264 (High Profile @ L3.1) up to 720p 30fps

* WMV9/VC1 (Advanced Profile) up to 720p 30 fps

* M-JPEG

Container support includes AVI, AVI, MP4, MKV, MOV, WMV, MPG, PS, TS, VOB, FLV, RM, RMVB, ASF, 3GP
    Videos can use any of the supported audio codecs.

Winner - Archos 43IT

Connectivity:
    The iPod Touch features

* 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
    * Bluetooth� 2.1 + EDR
    * 30-pin connector (proprietary)
    * 3.5mm headphone jack

The Archos 43IT features:

* WiFi (802.11 b/g/n)
    * Bluetooth 2.1 EDR
    * HDMI (mini) output
    * USB 2.0 (micro) port, including USB host functionality
    * MicroSD slot
    * 3.5mm headphone jack

Winner - Archos 43IT

Battery Life:
    iPod Touch

* Audio 40hrs
    * Video 7hrs
    * Web ??

Archos 43IT

* Audio 36hrs
    * Video 10hrs
    * Web 12hrs

Winner - Draw

Storage options:

The iPod touch is available in 8GB, 32GB and 64GB varieties. No expansion.

The Archos 43IT is available in just 8GB and 16GB versions. This is a major dissapointment, as Archos were one of the few remaining stalwarts of the high-capacity PMP. It does have a MicroSD slot for expansion, however in this section I am simply considering the available SKUs.

Winner - iPod Touch
    Last edited by contender; 09-14-10 at 11:15 AM.
    09-14-10 11:12 AM
    The Archos doesn't natively support the full android market. you have to install one .apk file and it will work pretty seamlessly. Google Maps, GMail, Market, Google Talk, all will work really well...

The ONLY reason i went with the iPod touch is i already have an android so i didn't want two of basically the same devices. and with me having a rooted phone i have wi-fi where ever i go...

i will say that the Archos101 is a mightly good looking Tablet, i might get that sucker in the spring time.
    09-17-10 08:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD