The Ten Commandments For a Responsible Pet Owner

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me, it is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for too long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment. I have only YOU.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long, and my heart may be getting old and weak.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You, too, will grow old.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it", or, "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I Love You!

original link: The Ten Commandments of a Responsible Pet Owner

My mom sent this to me and I feel all pet owners should see this. Makes me cry every time I read it. Hope you enjoy it as much as me
    06-26-08 08:21 PM
    oh man. . . now I'm snottin' and bawlin' and hugging my dog. . he must think I'm crazy!
    06-26-08 08:26 PM
    Shouldn't number six say "No matter how bad you treat me, I'll always forgive, forget and still love you." The wonderful thing about our dogs is their capacity to live in the moment and not hold things like hate in. If they could reason and remember, a bunch A*# H&@*$ would be all chewed up. Somehow abusers never learn their lesson.

I'd like to add that Old Roy sounds like a whiskey. We owe it to our dogs to feed them the good stuff and add healthier years to their lives. This is my Baby Girl...Ruby. She's a Blue Heeler.
    Last edited by exelant; 06-26-08 at 10:48 PM.
    06-26-08 09:35 PM
    I'm not gonna lie, this made me sad. I'm moving in about 3 days, and I'm gonna miss my dog! (she lives at my parents house). I can't wait until I move somewhere that I can have a dog, cause they're so amazing to have around. No matter what happens, they always make you feel better.
    06-26-08 10:02 PM
    Shouldn't number six say "No matter how bad you treat me, I'll always forgive, forget and still love you." The wonderful thing about our dogs is their capacity to live in the moment and not hold things like hate in. If they could reason and remember, a bunch A*# H&@*$ would be all chewed up. Somehow abusers never learn their lesson.

I'd like to add that Old Roy sounds like a whiskey. We owe it to our dogs to feed them the good stuff and add healthier years to their lives. This is my Baby Girl...Ruby. She's a Blue Heeler.

unfortunately I dont think dogs forget. I think they will almost always forgive and keep loving you, but Im almost positive they will never forget the way you treat them. its just like humans in the sense... that 1 bad thing will usually be remembered way longer then 10 good things!
    06-27-08 01:20 AM
    Wow, well said. You are right. Nice picture.
    06-27-08 03:18 AM
    awww, great post!
    06-27-08 03:26 AM
    I read this and choked up. My Angel is very precious to me. I lost my husky Autumn a year ago to Cancer and it makes you appreciate what you have. So many people treat their dogs like accessories nowadays and forget they are fragile, living creatures that need us as much as our children do. Great post, thank you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-08 08:08 AM
    yeah my boyfriend and i have two tiny dogs, and we treat them like our children. they have more toys than dogs should lol and are so spoiled but so sweet.
    06-27-08 08:55 AM
    unfortunately I dont think dogs forget. I think they will almost always forgive and keep loving you, but Im almost positive they will never forget the way you treat them. its just like humans in the sense... that 1 bad thing will usually be remembered way longer then 10 good things!
    You're probably right, I just don't understand why they put up with abuse. I've seen mistreated dogs wag their tails for those who mistreat them as if they love them. It's the saddest thing! I wish the b_____ds could get a little of their own medicine.
    06-27-08 11:55 AM
    i am so glad you all love this as much as me!
    06-27-08 06:40 PM
    I love my Kobe!!

06-27-08 06:44 PM
    So true in oh so many ways! Thanks for posting.
    06-28-08 01:53 PM
    thanks for posting!
    awe hehe i LOVE my pup. we have 3 cats and a dog, but the dog is my baby.
    I went ot Ireland for 2 months and yeah sure i missed my parents a wee bit..but it was my dog that i missed the mostest.
    Everynow and then i would see a cavalier on the street and run up and talk to the owner "hey i have a cavalier at home too i miss him soooo much"
    bwahha
    06-30-08 12:28 AM
    This is sooo touching (it made me cry!!) My cat Rascal always greets me at the door when I come home from work and is always there to comfort me and always provides unconditional love. I dont have any children of my own but Rascal is my child--I dont know what I would do without him--I adopted him at 8 weeks and he just turned 6 in May!! I feel so bad for the animals who have no homes and/or need to be adopted. If I could I'd take 'em all home!! To me animals are alot like humans, they have needs just like us and they do have feelings too!! Nothing chaps my hide more that hearing about some **** abusing his pet!! That **** needs a beating of his own (that just my opinion!!!) Thank you for this post--It is Beautiful!!
    I Love You Rascal!!!
    06-30-08 09:30 AM
    Ok I have a 3.5 year old boxer named Tug! He is my BABY!! Oh he is such a good snuggle!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 11:07 PM
    ::::bawling like a baby:::: Now, I'm missing all of my pets that have already passed even more....The remaining 2 are very, very spoiled, though. I am glad to know that I have made their lives better by being their Mommy and loving them as I do. Thank you for a beautiful post.
    07-01-08 09:14 PM

i love coming home to my bentley
    07-02-08 09:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD