Hi all,

I have been frustrated over time with poor Wi-Fi signal in my room. My room is like a diabetic foot with neuropathy - it is farthest from the basement where our router has to be set up due to wiring reasons.

I could buy another router to use as an access point, but that has its own annoyances.

I decided to try a repeater first. Now, repeaters often get rated poorly but Amazon reviews seem to favor a Netgear model. I went with it. Once it arrives, per instructions, I will place it in a room that is roughly half-way between the source and the dead-zone. I will report back with my results.

CrackBerry addicts need to use Wi-Fi when possible to save on data, unless you have a true-unlimited plan with Sprint or T-Mobile. I could actually get the fully unlimited data package from Tmo for the same as what I pay for 4.5 GB, but it doesn't allow for tethering/mobile hot spot use -- a feature I wouldn't be caught dead without. (Did I get that saying right?)

Anyway, sound off below if you use/have used a repeater before, as in a device that plugs into the wall and rebroadcasts Wi-Fi, and what your mileage with it was.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    10-16-13 07:34 PM
    My parents have a repeater in their house in order to get wifi at the guest house. It seems to work fine.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 07:40 PM
    You will get throughput speeds of about 6Mbps. That's less and 1MB/s on your downloads.

I am using an old router as a repeater. It works just fine, but it isn't blazing fast. I should note that it's an N signal. You can get faster speeds with the latest technology, but I doubt it'll be much better, as the repeater has to wirelessly send and receive data.

Then again, maybe it will have two wifi modules and have decent throughput speeds? Depends on the model you purchased.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 07:41 PM
    Well, we use wireless G and the repeater has two antennas on it interestingly. Not sure if that means it has two modules to double the power.

If it's better than EDGE speeds (which at 6mbps, definitely) and a reliable signal I'm not too concerned.

10-16-13 07:43 PM
    I use one at home. It can be a serious ***** to set up, but once it's done your good to go.
    You should get pretty decent speeds

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    10-16-13 07:47 PM
    Crap...I now see Netgear makes one that's a bit more money but has dual band Fastlane Technology.

I wonder if Amazon will let me cancel my order.

10-16-13 07:54 PM
    I use one at home. It can be a serious ***** to set up, but once it's done your good to go.
    You should get pretty decent speeds

How so? The new Netgear ones plug in, then use WiFi Protected Setup?

10-16-13 07:54 PM
    Phew. Switched order to dual-band model.

10-16-13 08:46 PM
    How so? The new Netgear ones plug in, then use WiFi Protected Setup?

Mine is also a small wall adapter, unfortunately I have never found that they work right off the bat. WPS is a disaster.
    But I hope for your sake that it does connect seamlessly.
    If not I'll be happy to try help you connect it

10-17-13 01:55 AM
    Crap...I now see Netgear makes one that's a bit more money but has dual band Fastlane Technology.

I wonder if Amazon will let me cancel my order.

That's the one I use, works like a charm.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    10-19-13 08:02 PM
    Dual-band one came today. Will install when I get home as long as it works as promised.

If I have to fiddle with it then it's a project for tomorrow.

10-19-13 11:49 PM
    Hi there! I am going to talk about sth you must consider as alternative... A GPS-Router, I got the Globe-Surfer-3... so here's my story:
    I moved from twon into a little village, discovering to my surprise, that the place I've chosen to build my house was not recieving cable telephone/lines (now it does, but last year not yet), so I managed to get an Androit tablet with SIM-slot, to make it work as WiFi-Hotspot. The only location inthe house to get "3G" was on the Roof... so I could not use the tab unless getting sth else. So I searched and read about repeaters. Ok, put repeater on the roof... but what about 3G... And then, found the 3G-Router, Globe-Surfer-3. I put my SIM-Card in it, put it on the roof, it worked as a Hot spot for all my devices, even the Playstation! So I was satisfied...! Would that work for you?

Posted via my Q10, Germany
    10-20-13 01:09 AM
    I'd like a repeater as I have little WiFi in the bedroom
    10-21-13 11:23 AM
    It's going back to Amazon soon. One of the best-rated repeaters and it sucks.

I have tried all setting combinations that could have been affecting this type of problem including checking settings on my router - no avail.

The primary problem: Internet access keeps being lost at random intervals. Sometimes it works for hours. But then the connection disappears and if I re-connect to it there is no Internet access. Problem is of course 100% isolated to the repeater's signal, not the main WiFi network. I have to keep disconnecting all devices and rebooting the repeater for more Internet access until it craps out again.

The secondary problem : 5ghz signal is weak as all heck. Preposterous considering how close I am to it before it fades significantly. This effectively renders my money wasted on the dual-band feature. I could have just bought the cheaper one for 2.4ghz only.

So it is going back in the next few days unless someone has any compelling ideas which if so I tremendously appreciate you sharing here. It may be helpful to many. I have scoured the Interwebs and cannot find any promising solutions or even any solid workarounds. Looks like people who had the issue just eventually gave up, basically, as support insisted it was hardware related and issued replacements that did the same thing.

Just to debunk this ahead of time: one issue many had was improperly putting in a WEP key. I don't use WEP, and you probably shouldn't either, so this is not applicable to my situation.

10-21-13 12:41 PM