I have a sony viao laptop that im having some trouble with. Does anyone think they can give me some help? or possibly know a good forum for PC help?
    10-17-09 04:21 PM
    what seems to be your issue with it?
    10-17-09 04:25 PM
    Well about 2 weeks ago i decided i was going to completely restore my pc to factory setting with the 2 backup disks i received from geeksquad when i purchased my pc. As i was doing the restore it tells me to insert the second disk, so i insert it and it again says insert second disk. So thinking the problem was the disks, i ordered a new set of backup disks straight from sony. So i received the disks yesterday and try to do the restore. But it says no backup information was found on DVD or Harddrive. So i took my computer apart thinking maby i had a lose connection between my DVD drive and the mother board, try again, same problem. I basicly know i have some kind of problem with my DVD drive. SOO! my main question for this is will i be able to purchase an external usb 2.0 dvd drive and use it to install the backup? (i currently have no operating system on my laptop) Im thinking it wont work but do you happen to know?

ALSO. after the first fail, i threw on windows xp for a dell just for hehas but nothing would work cuz i didnt have any drivers. I dont know if i will be able to install it again ( my dvd drive may just have problems with dvd not cds), but if i could get XP back on it would the external drive work? I know this is alot, im sorry but hopefully you will be able to give me some help.
    10-17-09 05:16 PM
    Yes u can use an external drive to load up the restore discs. It sounds like during ur first attempt when the second disc wouldn't load, the hard disk had already been formatted and since disc 2 didn't work, ur second attempt could not load the discs properly. As far. At this point I would grab some software to properly clean the hard drive and then restore using the external USB disc drive. Good Luck. What model Sony is it anyways?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-09 06:49 PM
    I know its old school but try f disking it.

10-17-09 08:02 PM
    I know its old school but try f disking it.

fdisk isn't in any of the NT OSes.

If your computer will boot to USB a usb drive is no problem. also check the CDs for marks
    10-17-09 08:53 PM
    Ill try this, it's not the cds I've gone through 2 complete sets and niether work. They were shipped brand new. Now i need to make the investment for a usb dvd drive.
    10-18-09 07:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD