We have a 384kbps (welcome to.Africa) DSL connection. When one computer is downloading more than 1 file, all the other computers' internet connection slow down so much they are unusable. Anyone know how to share bandwidth effectively across multiple computers?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 12:42 AM
    It would have to be done through your switches / router. It's going to make them more expensive, as they need to be "managed." Then u can tell it to split up the bandwidth. I don't know how, as it will vary by vendor, but you do need an intelligent switch to start with.

I'm sure some have this type of feature built in, but I don't know any off the top of my head.

05-11-09 04:53 AM
    That makes sense, is just quite vage: anyone know specific devices, protocols, or applications that can achieve this?
    05-11-09 07:12 AM
    Is this one file a single connection download (ie website) or a torrent?
    05-11-09 08:21 AM
    It's vague because it's going to depend on your switch and the way that they do it. Go to NewEgg, look for managed switches, and download the instructions for the ones that you like or can afford...
    05-11-09 10:02 AM
    It's a function of the router or gateway, it's controlled through QoS. You can put priorities on traffic, so (for example) FTP would have a low priority, HTTP would have a normal priority, and VoIP could have a high priority. This way, someone running FTP wouldn't cut off someone's phone call.
    05-11-09 10:19 AM
    Ok thanks - so what if 5 different users all want to ftp?

05-11-09 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD