Amazon.com: Nikon Coolpix L22 12.1MP Digital Camera with 3.6x Optical Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD (Red-primary): Camera & Photo

I ordered this about a month or so ago for my daughter. She is going on a week vacation in July with my parents out West (Yellowstone, Rushmore, Dude Ranch, etc.). I wanted a nice, easy entry level digicam for her. I also chose this cam since it takes AA batteries and makes it easy for them on the trip (no need to charge at night). I will be sending her with plenty of batteries.

Until I order my new cam in the next week or two, we have been using hers. My wife has been trying to use it to get pictures for her website.

But she is having the darndest time get shots that are not blurry. I try and instruct her how to push the button partially down to lock in the focus and settings before fully pushing down to take the pic. But she still seems to take blurry photos. I had a few problems over the weekend too.

The camera does have image stabilization built in.

But now I am worried that either it is a crap cam. I cannot believe that BOTH my wife AND I are having problems getting non-blurry photos on most shots.

Soooo, I am wondering if anyone else is having these kinds of problems with this camera. The price point was good (~$120). But I am willing to bump it up if I can get something a little more reliable.

Of course, it could all be in the way my wife is pressing the button.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
    06-22-10 09:15 AM
    Just read this:

The COOLPIX L22, like the PowerShot A490 / A495 lacks optical or sensor-shift image stabilization, but it does have two methods for dealing with the effects of subject movement and camera shake at slow shutter speeds The first of these is Motion Detection which, in low light situations, or where significant camera or subject motion is detected, increases the ISO to enable the use of a faster shutter speed. The other, Electronic Vibration Reduction, post-processes the image to try and reduce the blurring caused by camera shake.

In our view, Nikon's Motion Detection and Electronic Vibration Reduction make very little difference to the camera's ability to take better pictures in low light.
    So, perhaps one should not consider what this one does as stabilization. Purchased back a the end of April but I think Amazon would still help out here if we considered returning and getting something else......
    06-22-10 09:23 AM
    I had a high end (at that time) HP digital camera and it did the same thing... I thought I must be really bad but ended up calling to complain and they sent me a new one. It took perfectly clear shots.

One thing I've learned is to think about squeezing the shutter button, not poke, press or stab. Take a deep breath and set yourself then a smooth squeeze will do wonders with any camera.
    06-22-10 09:41 AM
    I was thinking more about this.....my daughter has taken some good shots, as have I. Perhaps it is just how my wife is shooting.

The more I think about it, our old camera, though electronic, had a viewfinder. And that means you are sort of resting the camera on your face, providing some support. Without a viewfinder, it's just your arms holding it, which can cause a lot of shake.

We have a tripod, but that could be a pain for my wife to use. But after I run some tests tonight and see if I can get the same shot she was trying, I may consider getting a monopole which would be easier to hook up and use.
    06-22-10 09:43 AM
    I had a high end (at that time) HP digital camera and it did the same thing... I thought I must be really bad but ended up calling to complain and they sent me a new one. It took perfectly clear shots.

One thing I've learned is to think about squeezing the shutter button, not poke, press or stab. Take a deep breath and set yourself then a smooth squeeze will do wonders with any camera.

Yeah. I need to try and replicate the shots she was trying to get first. I would very much be willing to work with Amazon to get a new one. But I want to rule out operator error first.
    06-22-10 09:44 AM
    All good points. It's really hard to get a solid support when your arms are floating. I try to rest my elbows against my chest to help to steady.

And tripods are a real pain, but a little monopod is sweet and easy to tote. You could even use it to smack someone if they got outta line.
    06-22-10 09:46 AM
    Yeah. I did a quick look and you can get monopods anywhere from $12-$100.

I think a basic one would work fine, and then perhaps if it works but she wants more flexibility, we can add a quick-release ball/swivel mount to it. Or, she can learn to use the tripod.
    06-22-10 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD