Just wondering if anyone else is getting a little tired of all the ads and paraphernalia out there regarding Valentine's Day. I don't really understand why people have to have one day to really celebrate their romance - can't they do it year-round? What about anniversaries, Christmas, New Year's, etc.?

Yes, I am single. But I'm usually a pretty happy person, and often don't care about not having a boyfriend. But I think our society places so much emphasis on being in a relationship/marriage and in turn puts so much influence on Valentine's Day that some people, myself included, either feel left out or that something is "wrong" with them for being single. Does anyone else feel this way? I can't be the only one.

That being said, I still celebrate Valentine's Day by getting my brother a card and present. Valentine's Day isn't just about romantic love, in my opinion - if you're going to celebrate it at all, it should be about loving everyone. That way, us singles can also enjoy it and participate.
    02-07-14 01:49 PM
    It's a tax on men.

I agree, treat her (or him) that way all year, not just one day.

Posted via CB10
    Morty2264 and mzceetee like this.
    02-07-14 01:51 PM
    It's a tax on men.

I agree, treat her (or him) that way all year, not just one day.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you. I would never expect a boyfriend to rush out and buy me jewellery or expensive presents on Valentine's Day. Heck, I'd be mad if he did that any other day of the year, because I'd be upset he spent a lot on me. Guys are expected to bring girls the moon for Valentine's Day, which I think is outrageous. What's wrong with a card, or just one single flower? Or really, what's wrong with just a special date on some other random day of the year? I feel bad for the guys who must feel so much pressure to do the "best thing ever" this time of year. Ugh.
    mzceetee likes this.
    02-07-14 01:58 PM
    I won't even lie; having been completely alone for six straight years, I hate Valentine's day because everyone else's happiness p*sses me off anymore, and the advertising is like a beating. Amplifying one's misery or hurt (unintended consequence of the holiday or not) is enough to screw anyone's day.

End rant.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    02-08-14 05:50 PM
    Yeah not a fan of valentines day.
    02-09-14 12:38 AM
    I'm indifferent. No more than any other day that Hallmark and retail corporations conjure up to push for more consumption. Certainly many people are working too many hours or too hard to even remember what time of the day it is. It's just a giant alarm clock to remind them of what they should or need to do if they subscribe to their calendar.
    02-09-14 08:47 AM
    I honestly haven't heard that much about Valentine's Day this year. Except for one Russell Stover commercial. I'm single and it doesn't bother me much at all.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-09-14 08:59 AM
    A guilt ridden monet grab.

Z10 on Telus
    02-09-14 08:59 AM
    Mercifully, I have managed to escape even the mention of Valentines day.....until now when of all places it pops up on Crackberry. I pride myself in being diligent in avoiding TV channel adverts etc...

Well done OP...you caught me out

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 09:01 AM
    Mercifully, I have managed to escape even the mention of Valentines day.....until now when of all places it pops up on Crackberry. I pride myself in being diligent in avoiding TV channel adverts etc...

Well done OP...you caught me out

Posted via CB10
    Sorry!

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 10:22 AM
    Yes I'm bloody sick and tired of it.

Unless of course someone wants to buy me a box of chocolate.

Milk chocolate.

With caramel.

And crispies.

That's the bomb.
    Morty2264, Carjackd and rally5464 like this.
    02-10-14 09:53 AM
    I used to feel depressed around Valentine's Day when I didn't have a girlfriend. Then, when I had a girlfriend, I found out what a hassle it was - overpriced flowers, ridiculous expectations, overpriced restaurant dinners, awkward timing (you're dating but not really a couple), etc.

Now that I'm single (and alone), I only feel relief during Valentines Day that I don't have to do that crap anymore.
    Morty2264, PapiPabs and zensen like this.
    02-10-14 09:59 AM
    I used to feel depressed around Valentine's Day when I didn't have a girlfriend. Then, when I had a girlfriend, I found out what a hassle it was - overpriced flowers, ridiculous expectations, overpriced restaurant dinners, awkward timing (you're dating but not really a couple), etc.

Now that I'm single (and alone), I only feel relief during Valentines Day that I don't have to do that crap anymore.
    Wow! I'm sorry you had to go through all that! I really don't get it. Why can't a girl be happy with just a flower or a small box of candy? I know I would be!

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 08:15 PM
    Yes I'm bloody sick and tired of it.

Unless of course someone wants to buy me a box of chocolate.

Milk chocolate.

With caramel.

And crispies.

That's the bomb.
    I'll send you some chocolate!

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 08:15 PM
    Valentine is really something else.

If you're single, it just drives home the spell "you're single! You're single!"

If you have a partner and you don't "celebrate", it makes you feel awkward with all the couples suddenly giving chocolate and whatnot to their partner

If you do "celebrate", it hurts your wallet

At the end of the day, everyone except the store owners lose.

Do you really need one special day to announce your passion to your partner? I mean, when it has to come down to that, you're basically friends, not partner

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    Morty2264 likes this.
    02-10-14 08:51 PM
    My heart was broken not so long ago. :'(
    02-10-14 08:58 PM
    My heart was broken not so long ago. :'(
    I'm so sorry. I truly hope you feel better. Distracting yourself with hobbies and taking care of yourself - and being patient with how you're feeling - will help.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 10:07 PM
    Women have or kids, and put up with our sorry a**es all year what's a days splurge out of the month.
    There's not enough days in the year to show my wife love with greenery candies and gemstones.

Posted via CB10
    WorkStation 0 likes this.
    02-10-14 10:21 PM
    I'm so sorry. I truly hope you feel better. Distracting yourself with hobbies and taking care of yourself - and being patient with how you're feeling - will help.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you. It wasn't the first time, it's happened to me before, so I'm okay. I guess I just have bad luck or something. I do my best to keep them happy. And at the end there's always something that just makes them throw away everything we had. I guess good guy ALWAYS do finish last. </3
    02-10-14 10:31 PM
    Hey Morty! What are you doing on the 14th?

Q10 with 10.2.1.1925 Leak Installed
    02-10-14 10:36 PM
    Thank you. It wasn't the first time, it's happened to me before, so I'm okay. I guess I just have bad luck or something. I do my best to keep them happy. And at the end there's always something that just makes them throw away everything we had. I guess good guy ALWAYS do finish last. </3
    It's happened to me before, too. I'm truly sorry... It's awful. But hey, girls actually do like good guys! I've mostly had a thing for good guys. I dunno, they mess with you less! Don't worry, you'll find someone great! It's not bad luck. Those women didn't appreciate you for the great person you are. Don't give up!

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 10:13 AM
    Hey Morty! What are you doing on the 14th?

Q10 with 10.2.1.1925 Leak Installed
    Hello! Hmm, nothing haha. I did get my brother Valentine's Day presents, so I'm excitedly looking forward to that. What are you doing?

PS: I think my display name is a bit of a mislead, as I am a girl and not a guy.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 10:15 AM
    Here's a great Valentine's Day commercial from SNL. This is how I pretty much look at it:

Watch Saturday Night Live: Valentine's Day Commercial online | Free | Hulu
    02-11-14 12:54 PM
    It's happened to me before, too. I'm truly sorry... It's awful. But hey, girls actually do like good guys! I've mostly had a thing for good guys. I dunno, they mess with you less! Don't worry, you'll find someone great! It's not bad luck. Those women didn't appreciate you for the great person you are. Don't give up!

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry, it is awful and no one should have to go through it. And this made my day! Thank you for your kind words.
    02-11-14 01:35 PM
    I'm not giving the retailers nothing this year, I bought jewelry this Christmas, I am making my wife cupcakes with hearts on them!

On my awesome BlackBerry Z30
    Morty2264 likes this.
    02-11-14 03:17 PM
38 12